The Eagles Running Back Room

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
ericanadian
Legend
Legend

The Eagles Running Back Room

Postby ericanadian » Wed Sep 06, 2023 6:29 am

So, the team named all four of their RBs as starters. They even done this on their unofficial official depth chart. This backfield has some real Belichickian vibes going on. What is everyone doing with this? The rushing QB doesn’t help. Do you just punt it and avoid it or is anyone trying to buy in as pretty much all these guys have depressed values while people try to figure out what’s going on.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Re: The Eagles Running Back Room

Postby Pac_Eddy » Wed Sep 06, 2023 6:33 am

I have actively avoided relying on any Eagles RB as a starter in my lineup. It may get clearer and consistent in a few weeks, but it may not. I consider those RBs depth and hopefully someone else in my league can handle chasing that situation.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Wed Sep 06, 2023 6:43 am

It's a wait and see for me.

Sure, Week 1 is the optimal time of each season where you can get away with risky starts, but I'm avoiding unless I play in a league with deep lineup requirements or I'm desperate.

Prison_Mike
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Prison_Mike » Wed Sep 06, 2023 6:43 am

I saw this last night and thought it was hilarious. Shortly thereafter, I cried because of all my Swift shares (2 in redraft/keeper, 2 in dynasty)

My play is still to keep buying Swift if he's discounted. Agreed that the rushing QB doesn't help. But the guy catches 50 balls in his sleep. Even if he doesn't do it this season, it's the biggest tool in his bag and I expect him to have it for years to come, even if he's part of a committee. Add to that that the Eagles have a tough schedule this year, presumably should have more negative game script, and a new coordinator....I'll just keep buying what I think is the most fantasy-friendly skillset in the backfield (yes I think Penny is a better pure runner, but I don't chase pure runners unless your name is Derrick Henry/Nick Chubb)

All that said, I'm benching Swift where I can until the dust settles

j4pac
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby j4pac » Wed Sep 06, 2023 6:58 am

Prison_Mike wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 6:43 am I saw this last night and thought it was hilarious. Shortly thereafter, I cried because of all my Swift shares (2 in redraft/keeper, 2 in dynasty)

My play is still to keep buying Swift if he's discounted. Agreed that the rushing QB doesn't help. But the guy catches 50 balls in his sleep. Even if he doesn't do it this season, it's the biggest tool in his bag and I expect him to have it for years to come, even if he's part of a committee. Add to that that the Eagles have a tough schedule this year, presumably should have more negative game script, and a new coordinator....I'll just keep buying what I think is the most fantasy-friendly skillset in the backfield (yes I think Penny is a better pure runner, but I don't chase pure runners unless your name is Derrick Henry/Nick Chubb)

Running QBs have historically avoided passing to the RB position.
SF, PPR, 12 team, 12 player dynasty

QB- Lawrence, Fields, Tannehill (max 2 keepers, 3 rostered)
RB- Bijan Robinson, T Pollard, Allgeier, Charbonnet, Achane, J Wilson, Kelley, K Williams
WR- Lamb, Jeudy, Hill, C Olave, A Pierce, Shaheed, Bourne
TE- Goedert, Musgrave

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:21 am

j4pac wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 6:58 am
Prison_Mike wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 6:43 am I saw this last night and thought it was hilarious. Shortly thereafter, I cried because of all my Swift shares (2 in redraft/keeper, 2 in dynasty)

Hurts specifically only threw 56 targets to running backs last season and its not like Sanders and Scott haven’t shown ability to catch a ball. Even Gainwell looked like a solid receiver out of college.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

timeEd32
Role Player
Role Player

Postby timeEd32 » Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:28 am

Almost nothing would surprise me about the Eagles backfield, which is another way of saying I have no idea what's going to happen.

Swift an RB1 and one of the best values in fantasy? Sure.

Penny with double digit TDs? Possible.

Penny and/or Swift hurt within the month and Gainwell getting lots of run? Certainly not ruling it out.

Everyone being healthy, but Gainwell and Scott (+ Hurts at the GL) getting an annoying amount of work rendering all four of them useless? Probably the most likely option.

Prison_Mike
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Prison_Mike » Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:30 am

j4pac wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 6:58 am

Sure, his receiving threat is more of a long-term bet for me. The short-term bet is that he's simply the most talented back in a somewhat crowded committee. I say "somewhat" because while Penny has been efficient on a per-carry basis, he is aging and has several injuries (has played 10 games once in the past four years, has played 5 or less in two of those).

Maybe I'm discounting the real-life value of Gainwell and Scott from the Eagles' perspective. I'm just saying if I'm picking ONE of these guys to have a meaningful impact for fantasy football, it would be Swift, and it's not even like his price is drastically different from the others

BellCow
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby BellCow » Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:37 am

I moved Swift earlier in the offseason. He needs to overcome 2 big hurdles to just retain value..

1. Get enough touches
2. Stay healthy

Prison_Mike
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Prison_Mike » Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:40 am

BellCow wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:37 am I moved Swift earlier in the offseason. He needs to overcome 2 big hurdles to just retain value..

1. Get enough touches
2. Stay healthy
Before or after the move to PHI? What was the return?

BellCow
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby BellCow » Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:41 am

Prison_Mike wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:40 am
BellCow wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:37 am I moved Swift earlier in the offseason. He needs to overcome 2 big hurdles to just retain value..

1. Get enough touches
2. Stay healthy
Before or after the move to PHI? What was the return?
After PHI. I got Hollywood Brown

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:10 am

This is kind of immature on the HC’s part. The NFL is big business and a meritocracy, and players understand this. They aren’t middle school girls where their whole world comes crashing down when someone tells them something they don’t like. All those RBs know their roles and their status, and they also know that if they want to either stay at the top or move up the pile that they have to perform.

FWIW, I would absolutely avoid this backfield. I could see game script and hot hand determining how the HC uses these guys.

81-
Captain
Captain

Postby 81- » Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:43 am

I'll take none of the above. It's a mess and I want dependable high level players
12 Team, 1QB, 3WR, 2RB, 1TE, 1Flex, D, K, 10 Bench
1PPR, 0.5 point per carry.
Burrow, Richardson
AJ Brown, DJMoore, G Wilson, T Higgens, Sutton, Tillman, Melton
King Henry, Bijan, Pacheco, Mixon, Ford, JK
Hockenson, Musgrave
Random Kicker
Niners

Picks in 2024 - #15, #22, #23, #27

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:15 am

Swift is the one to own, but not at cost.

I don't trust Penny to stay healthy and he is 27

So Gainwell I suppose

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Wed Sep 06, 2023 3:17 pm

Bronco Billy wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:10 am This is kind of immature on the HC’s part. The NFL is big business and a meritocracy, and players understand this. They aren’t middle school girls where their whole world comes crashing down when someone tells them something they don’t like. All those RBs know their roles and their status, and they also know that if they want to either stay at the top or move up the pile that they have to perform.
I think that you answered your own argument right there in the 2nd line.

It's a meritocracy, and none of these guys has separated to the point that Sirianni feels the need to call them the Starter. Makes total sense to me. If anything: he's challenging one of them to step up and take the role.
Jigga94 wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:15 am Swift is the one to own, but not at cost.
Everything I've heard out of camp / beat writers + the few carries he saw in the pre-season seems to point to Swift.

Reportedly, they want Swift to be the guy. Philly native, Georgia Bulldog, talent for days - it'd be a great story.

But with Swift, much like Penny - we won't truly have confidence that he'll remain healthy once the game goes full contact engage.

Clearly, they are telling this RB room that they're ready to ride the hot hand. This is a team that has designs on making it back to the Superbowl. The RB's should be falling over themselves to help them do that; this might legit be the best shot they ever get at a ring.