How many roster slots in a 14 team league?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
ff330
Captain
Captain

How many roster slots in a 14 team league?

Postby ff330 » Mon Sep 04, 2023 5:52 pm

Hopefully get some responses here or in one of the other forums.

I'm the LM in an ESPN (fun not $$) non-PPR 1QB dynasty league. We have 14 teams (down from 16 about 5 years ago) with 20 roster slots.

I brought up the idea of dropping the DST slot in favor of an additional offensive player and adding one more bench spot for a total of 22.

My concern is having the league run low on available talent by "deleting" 28 more players from the waiver wire and free agent pool.

How many of you with 14 plus teams in their leagues have rosters of more than 20 or feel there is enough talent out there to support a larger roster of possibly 22 players?

How many have dropped the DST slot for another bench player?

Appreciate some feedback.
12 team/PPR

QB - Mahomes
RB- Jacobs, Pierce, Penny, Mostert, Singletary, Wilson, Mckinnon, Moss, Foreman, Mitchell
WR - Kupp, Waddle, Lockett, Marquise Brown, OBJ
TE - Kincaid

2021/2012 league champion

QB - Dak, GSmith
RB - Swift, Mattison, White, Mostert, Gibbs, Foreman, Mitchell, D. Cook
WR - AJB, Kupp, Kirk, C.Samuel, JWilliams, OBJ, Ross
TE - Kittle, Ferguson

QB - Allen, Tua
RB - Kamara, AJones, Walker, Chandler, Pierce, Akers, JWilliams, Jaleel M., Mitchell
WR - Adams, Hopkins, Lockett, J. Watson
TE - Kraft, Dulcich

QB - Allen, Burrow (IR)
RB - CMC, Kamara, Stevenson, J.Cook, Foreman, J.Wilson, Jaleel, Mitchell
WR - Diggs, Jeudy, Aiyuk, ARSB, MWilliams Mooney, Downs, N. Brown
TE - Kincaid, Engram

2023 league champion

QB - Mahomes, Cousins
RB - Chubb, AJones, Akers, Foreman, Moss, Penny, Jaleel, Mitchell, Gray
WR - Adams, MThomas, Waddle, GDavis, Mooney, JWilliams, Downs, Dell, Skyy, Ross
TE - Goedert

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: How many roster slots in a 14 team league?

Postby killer_of_giants » Tue Sep 05, 2023 2:30 am

i play mostly in 14 teams leagues (and non-ppr). many are IDP so that skews things a bit.

in non IDP leagues, i have one where we've trimmed rosters from 27 to 22 by "popular" demand (vote went 8/6) and i hate it. one less roster spot and i'm leaving. the reasoning was that one of the finalists had injury issues and couldn't pick up anyone decent to fill a RB spot... (best available right now, with the trim down, are boston scott, rico dowdle and craig reynolds... good luck with that!).

in another we have 30 roster spots, but with D and K, so equivalent to about 26 roster spots. FAAB isn't very important, but there's still a lot of waiver movements every week.

My concern is having the league run low on available talent by "deleting" 28 more players from the waiver wire and free agent pool.
well then, don't add any roster spots.
i don't get the concern though: players you'd like to own shouldn't be added and dropped numerous times, the waiver wire isn't a community bench. you have your team and that's it, depth is important. if it sucks, trade. if you have needs, trade.

of course, that's just my point of view. if you want teams to be able to pick up emergency starters from waivers, then i wouldn't add much to the 20 roster spots.

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Postby tstafford » Tue Sep 05, 2023 3:14 am

I agree that if you have over 300 players rostered w/o DST and K that the WW is going to be pretty thin. It won't be completely devoid because people will (naturally) have the "wrong" end of bench guys because it's so unpredictable.

If you want players on the WW who can serve as injury/bye-week fill-ins don't add roster spots. I've played in 12-team, 20 spot leagues and the WW is a "community bench" (I like that term).

There's no right or wrong answer. It's just about what you want.

My take - the more serious your league mates are about dynasty, the more roster spots you should have. If it's casual and folks aren't paying close attention, I'd lean toward a slightly more robust WW as a safety net.

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:52 pm

tstafford wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 3:14 amThere's no right or wrong answer. It's just about what you want.

My take - the more serious your league mates are about dynasty, the more roster spots you should have. If it's casual and folks aren't paying close attention, I'd lean toward a slightly more robust WW as a safety net.
THIS!

You have to know your members. Not every league has to be full of cutthroat opportunists who study fantasy football like it's their jobs and are always ready to make an immediate ww add minutes after a star player's injury is announced. BTW, I'm not disparaging such people because a lot of that describes me.

I'm okay with almost any rule or roster limit, because all managers in the league have to follow the same rules. In the end, a skilled manager will come out ahead more times than not, whatever the rules are. Having a "community bench" doesn't give the casual manager a true advantage if they're picking up Dowdle (while Pollard is healthy) to be their bye-week RB2 and I (who drafted/managed my roster well) am able to start Dobbins (my 3rd RB) at RB2 during bye weeks.

The casual guy will always be at a disadvantage to the more serious fantasy players. Proactive management will usually win out over the "community bench". If having a community bench keeps a few of the casual guys content enough to keep donating their money year after year, that's a good thing as far as I'm concerned.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, Levis
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JavonteWms, JFord, CEH
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, MWilliams, Q Johnston
TE: Goedert, Friermuth
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, AJD, Singletary, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

81-
Captain
Captain

Postby 81- » Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:45 pm

The more the merrier would be my desire. We only do twenty spots. I'd love 25 or 30
12 Team, 1QB, 3WR, 2RB, 1TE, 1Flex, D, K, 10 Bench
1PPR, 0.5 point per carry.
Burrow, Richardson
AJ Brown, DJMoore, G Wilson, T Higgens, Sutton, Tillman, Melton
King Henry, Bijan, Pacheco, Mixon, Ford, JK
Hockenson, Musgrave
Random Kicker
Niners

Picks in 2024 - #15, #22, #23, #27

Hottoddies
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Hottoddies » Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:13 pm

The most interesting part of dynasty is the ability to find future prospects and build enduring lineups. The bigger the rosters, the more latitude you have to plan your approach. For dynasty, I need room to play and size does matter.
"Smart people learn from everything and everyone, average people from their experiences, stupid people already have all the answers." - Socrates

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:47 am

Three 16 team leagues. No IDP, no DST or K. All roster 24 players. Seems to work well. There are stil waiver claims most weeks.