30yr+ redraft league - 2023 draft

General discussion and team advice concerning Redraft & Keeper leagues.
Anteaters
Legend
Legend

30yr+ redraft league - 2023 draft

Postby Anteaters » Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:35 am

I know this thread will likely fall into the DLF ether and go unnoticed forever, like all non-dynasty threads. But I figured I'd give it a shot.

This is the first league I ever played in. I joined the second year after declining the first year invitation because I didn't know anything about fantasy football, didn't want to pay the entry fee, and wondered about the absurdity of it all. I joined the second year and have never regretted it. I won the title last year, and have won it the most times in league history. Looking to repeat this year.

Pretty basic 14-tm league with three IDP. No PPR, 1QB/2RB/2WR/1TE/1FLX/K/DL/LB/DB-S. All TDs are 4pts.
QBs were the 13 highest-scoring players last year. Ekeler/Jacobs/CMC were 14-16. JJ/Adams/Tyreek were 21, 22, 25. Kelce was 30, and Hock/Kittle were 112/113. Top 3 LBs were 79, 83, 86. Top two CB-S was 101, 140.

We usually hold a live on-line draft that takes about 3 hours. This year, no date worked for everyone, so we're doing a live slow-crawl on-line draft. I got the 14th pick. We have a snake draft with a reverse third round. My first three picks were 14, 15 and 29.

My first three picks are in the books: Tyreek, Lamb, Amon-Ra. I'm done with WRs until round 8 or 9 or later.
My next two picks are 56, 57. I'm almost certainly going RB with both. Difficult to predict from 26 picks away but I'm guessing I'll be choosing from among JKD/Conner/RWhite/Javonte/Akers/MSanders/Swift/Pierce. I'd be pretty happy with almost any two of those, but happier with JKD+Javonte. I'll probably duck Conner and shy away from RWhite, but maybe I shouldn't?

With picks 84, 85 I'm thinking of QB and either Waller or a RB. I'll play this by ear as we get closer. As I see how the TEs are being drafted, it may turn out that I can get Waller later. It could turn out that too many QBs go by then and I decide to draft two QBs in these spots. Hard to tell right now. Being that I'm targeting QBs that are likely lower than everyone else's T13QBs, and that almost no one drafts their second QB before double-digit rounds, it may be that I push back any QB option at this point. We'll see.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, Levis
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JavonteWms, JFord, CEH
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, MWilliams, Q Johnston
TE: Goedert, Friermuth
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, AJD, Singletary, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Re: 30yr+ redraft league - 2023 draft

Postby Anteaters » Wed Aug 23, 2023 3:28 pm

The longest wait between my 3.01 pick and my 4.14/5.01 picks. More disappointing than the wait was the run on RBs I had lined up, just before my picks.

I ended up with James Cook and Swift. Swift was a tough decision for me. I just don't have much faith in his ability to stay healthy. Every other RB I had would have been a reach. I seriously considered another lock WR with WR1 upside (Watson, Kirk, London) but I already have three and that covers my WR starters and single flex position, so it seemed like a waste to draft my fourth WR in my first five picks.

Also, I feel strongly that I can get my next two targets with my 6.14/7.01 swing and didn't want to reach for them either when I really needed a second RB. But I have Swift now, so nothing to do but forge ahead and hope he can be a viable RB2. I'll shoot for Gainwell in the double digit rounds.

Hopefully, Tua + Waller will be there with my next two picks. If not, I'm good pivoting to Danny Dimes + sleeper RB (or 4th WR). If Waller goes before my pick, I won't take a TE until very late.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, Levis
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JavonteWms, JFord, CEH
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, MWilliams, Q Johnston
TE: Goedert, Friermuth
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, AJD, Singletary, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser