Ice
Legend
Legend

2023 Fantasy Breakout Players

Postby Ice » Sun Aug 06, 2023 3:24 pm

Post them here!

My two

1) J. Cook
The Bills need a RB to step up at Cook has elite Speed and Hands. Expecting a Pollard type season

2) G Pickens. He flashed last year and could overtake Johnson as WR1. Chemistry with QB matters
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

BabyChark23
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: 2023 Fantasy Breakout Players

Postby BabyChark23 » Sun Aug 06, 2023 3:39 pm

Everyone is already treating it as a given, but:

Garret Wilson. Getting the jump from Wilson/White/anyone with a pulse to Rodgers is going to propel him into a top 12 finish. I’m planting my flag on this one.

Jahmyr Gibbs. I think he could finish in the top 15 year one. I would be happy with that.

I’m expecting a jump from Justin Herbert and TLaw, but I’m not sure it could rightly be called a breakout since they have already broken out.

Calvin Ridley breakout part 2. I’m buying the hype.

Nico Collins. I don’t really believe this. It’s more just wish casting, but… make it happen Stroud!

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Sun Aug 06, 2023 3:44 pm

I'll play.

Dameon Pierce - I want all of this smoke. A better setup for him in 2023 in nearly every facet + there's a chance he's catching more passes, behind a greatly improved line, with better QB play. Arrow pointed up here.

Jordan Addison - it just feels too easy. A player with actual talent gets to inherit a role that ran the 2nd most routes in the league last year. Theilan and KJ Osborn - the numbers 2 and 3 WR's on the Vikings - combined for 197 targets last year - they caught 120 of them for 1366 yards combined. If you gave Addison 197 targets (obviously unrealistic)... I'm wagering he'd do better than 1300 yards.

Garrett Wilson - it's happening. If I'm getting Garrett for nearly half the price of Justin Jefferson in auction redrafts this year ($40ish vs. $73+) then I know where I'd rather put the cash. JJ is better... but I honestly like GW's chances of being 54% of the way to a Justin Jefferson this year.

Ray Finkle
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Ray Finkle » Sun Aug 06, 2023 3:47 pm

Lawerence
JCook, Dobbins
Jeudy, Jahan, Gabe (lol)
Kmet

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Sun Aug 06, 2023 3:49 pm

@Mild

iI almost put Damien Pierce in my top 2. I am going after him in my money redrafts this year.

The Texans have been killing it in drafts the last few years.
Last edited by Ice on Sun Aug 06, 2023 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Sun Aug 06, 2023 3:50 pm

Ice wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 3:49 pm I almost put Damien Pierce in my top 2. I am going after him in my money redrafts this year.

The Texans have been killing it in drafts the last few years.
Right here with you. He's a slam dunk at the price this year.

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Sun Aug 06, 2023 4:21 pm

BabyChark23 wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 3:39 pm Everyone is already treating it as a given, but:

Garret Wilson. Getting the jump from Wilson/White/anyone with a pulse to Rodgers is going to propel him into a top 12 finish. I’m planting my flag on this one.

Jahmyr Gibbs. I think he could finish in the top 15 year one. I would be happy with that.

I’m expecting a jump from Justin Herbert and TLaw, but I’m not sure it could rightly be called a breakout since they have already broken out.

Calvin Ridley breakout part 2. I’m buying the hype.

Nico Collins. I don’t really believe this. It’s more just wish casting, but… make it happen Stroud!
A top 5 dynasty WR and RB, and two top 7 QBs. Bold!

Going a little further down the charts here…

QB: I feel like someone needs to make a jump of at least half their ADP here, and not have done it before. Small list that could be Mac Jones, Love, Pickett, Ridder, Howell, Lance, or a rookie. I’m not certain enough on any of them to stake a claim to any one in particular. Purdy could cut his ADP on half with a full season, and I’d go on him given his offense and weapons. His ADP is still very respectable.

RB: JK Dobbins: I think the player is outstanding, and injury his biggest hindrance. Even on 1 leg last year he was making chunk gains. Not sure about this hold-in, but if he’s out there and healthy, I’m on the player as fully capable of a ‘breakout’.

WR: Elijah Moore - I believe in the profile and player. Last year was a disaster, but that wasn’t his football ability that hampered him. I’m happy to get the discounts entering this season.

TE: Jake Ferguson - The offense has had productive TE’s and I think he gets an expanded role thanks to the Schoonmaker injury early, and Hendershot not being the same caliber of player.

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Sun Aug 06, 2023 4:46 pm

QB: Ridder, in that he’ll do enough to hold the starter role.
RB: Swift, he’ll stay healthy for nearly a full year and be a PPR beast.
WR: Metchie, he’ll start a bit slowly as the new quarterback gets settled and they build chemistry, but will start to turn it on before midseason.
TE: Pitts, he’ll be back to being Kyle Pitts after his awful chemistry with Mariota.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

j4pac
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby j4pac » Sun Aug 06, 2023 5:38 pm

I think Pickens is fun to watch… but instead of doing a triple backflip one handed catch…wouldn’t it be easier to just separate and catch the football? I think that he’ll be flashy but not a great producer…and because of the way he plays, he’s going to be at increased injury risk.
SF, PPR, 12 team, 12 player dynasty

QB- Lawrence, Fields, Tannehill (max 2 keepers, 3 rostered)
RB- Bijan Robinson, T Pollard, Allgeier, Charbonnet, Achane, J Wilson, Kelley, K Williams
WR- Lamb, Jeudy, Hill, C Olave, A Pierce, Shaheed, Bourne
TE- Goedert, Musgrave

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Aug 06, 2023 5:40 pm

ericanadian wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 4:46 pm QB: Ridder, in that he’ll do enough to hold the starter role.
WR: Metchie, he’ll start a bit slowly as the new quarterback gets settled and they build chemistry, but will start to turn it on before midseason.
TE: Pitts, he’ll be back to being Kyle Pitts after his awful chemistry with Mariota.
Swift stays healthy AND Hurts/Eagles start targeting RB's? I suppose lightning could strike twice.
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Mild sauce goes in the trash. Well done steak goes with it.

Habaneros make the best hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Aug 06, 2023 5:47 pm

j4pac wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 5:38 pm I think Pickens is fun to watch… but instead of doing a triple backflip one handed catch…wouldn’t it be easier to just separate and catch the football? I think that he’ll be flashy but not a great producer…and because of the way he plays, he’s going to be at increased injury risk.
Like this?

https://twitter.com/chrisburgh/status/1 ... 4659728384
https://twitter.com/SSN_Steelers/status ... 9504580608
https://twitter.com/Luciow1992/status/1 ... 6220950530

From what I have been hearing, he's getting open AND making some highlight reel catches daily. There's more, but don't want to get carried away.

https://twitter.com/LedyardNFLDraft/sta ... 5700055040
Last edited by FantasyFreak on Sun Aug 06, 2023 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Janiel Dones Truther

Habaneros make the best hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Sun Aug 06, 2023 5:56 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 5:40 pm Swift stays healthy AND Hurts/Eagles start targeting RB's? I suppose lightning could strike twice.
Penny at cost for me this year - easily. He profiles as far and away the obvious choice at the goal line.

If we're betting on two RB's who are always injured, give me the one that has looked like a legitimate game-wrecker when healthy... Penny's per-carry stats are nuts.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Aug 06, 2023 6:00 pm

mild wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 5:56 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 5:40 pm Swift stays healthy AND Hurts/Eagles start targeting RB's? I suppose lightning could strike twice.
Penny at cost for me this year - easily. He profiles as far and away the obvious choice at the goal line.

If we're betting on two RB's who are always injured, give me the one that has looked like a legitimate game-wrecker when healthy... Penny's per-carry stats are nuts.
Yep. I drafted him over Guice way back when, so....I guess I win? :lol: . Penny is exactly who I thought he'd be, when healthy. He had no injuries in college, or HS. Never would have thought it would be such an issue in the pros.
Janiel Dones Truther

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Sun Aug 06, 2023 6:42 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 5:40 pm
ericanadian wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 4:46 pm QB: Ridder, in that he’ll do enough to hold the starter role.
Swift stays healthy AND Hurts/Eagles start targeting RB's? I suppose lightning could strike twice.
New offensive coordinator and Hurts just took a massive leap last year, so doesn’t exactly have a long track record of success at any level. We’ll see if he just keeps going with what worked or if he continues to develop.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Sun Aug 06, 2023 6:59 pm

ericanadian wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 6:42 pm New offensive coordinator and Hurts just took a massive leap last year, so doesn’t exactly have a long track record of success at any level. We’ll see if he just keeps going with what worked or if he continues to develop.
For what it's worth, it sure sounds like "keep going with what works" is exactly the word out of camp thus far.
Takeaways from Eagles practice

-AJ Brown and Devonta Smith are the only WRs getting fed by Hurts (not surprising)
-Dallas Goedert is HEAVILY involved
-All 4 RBs are splitting 1st team reps.

No shockers. We know what the QB, WRs, and TE are for fantasy. The RB room will be difficult to decipher.

I’d lean the value of Penny > Swift at cost right now.

Goedert could easily outplay his 6th round ADP
It's just really not likely that any RB is going to carve out meaningful targets with AJ Brown, Devonta Smith, and Dallas Goedart soaking targets AND the QB being one of the best rushing guys in the game to boot.

No doubt Swift will have some moments this season, he's too talented not to. Best of luck predicting when they'll happen, though.