Is a QB3 necessary in SF?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
PTW32
Captain
Captain

Is a QB3 necessary in SF?

Postby PTW32 » Fri Jul 07, 2023 6:45 am

What are your thoughts on roster construction in Superflex leagues?

Do you need a 3rd starting QB on your squad to handle bye weeks and injuries if you expect to compete?

Or can't you get by with having 2 starting QBs if your roster is good enough to fill that SF with a non QB for bye weeks and enough assets do go get a QB if an injury happened to one of your top 2?

Does format (teams, number of starters, scoring etc) change the way you approach depth at the QB position?
Team 1 10 Team PPR QB, 2RB, 3WR, 2TE, 3Flex

QB: Feilds, Lance, Stafford
RB: Javonte, Charbonnet
WR: Godwin, Boyd, Aiyuk, Mingo, Downs
TE: Kincaid, Kraft, Schoonmaker

Team 2 10 Team PPR QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 3Flex
QB: Lamar, Baker
RB: Barkley, Jonathan Taylor, Ekeler, Sanders, Dillon, Pierce
WR: Diggs, Hill, Lockett, Addison
TE: Andrews, Hurst, Logan Thomas

Team 3 12 Team PPR (keep 16)
QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, 3Flex

QB: Kyler, Feilds
RB: CMC, Javonte, Dobbins, Dillo, Brian Robinson
WR: AJB, Godwin, DJ Moore, Keenan, Lamb, Burks, Toney
TE: Kittle, Hockenson

j4pac
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Is a QB3 necessary in SF?

Postby j4pac » Fri Jul 07, 2023 7:13 am

I think that at the least a third QB provides bargaining power for trade and protects you from injury. If you have two studs and can guarantee that both will play 17 games, it is less important. But it’s pretty much impossible to make that claim (especially with the number of running QBs these days).

My primarily dynasty league is a loose SF league that only allows 2 QB keepers and a roster max of 3 QBs. So knowing you can’t keep the third QB reduces the value of a third QB. So I plan to obtain either a low cost vet QB as my third QB or a low cost high young QB with upside as my third QB. Investing into three high priced QBs wouldn’t be advisable with my league settings, so there is some league to league variability. But you’re going to want a third QB for pretty much any SuperFlex format.
SF, PPR, 12 team, 12 player dynasty

QB- Lawrence, Fields, Tannehill (max 2 keepers, 3 rostered)
RB- Bijan Robinson, T Pollard, Allgeier, Charbonnet, Achane, J Wilson, Kelley, K Williams
WR- Lamb, Jeudy, Hill, C Olave, A Pierce, Shaheed, Bourne
TE- Goedert, Musgrave

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:24 am

PTW32 wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 6:45 amDo you need a 3rd starting QB on your squad to handle bye weeks and injuries if you expect to compete?
Necessary? No.
Wise? Absolutely!

Going with only two QBs in a SF is risky. In one of my SF leagues, in 2023 QBs made up 17/25 top players by ppr. Sam Darnold was #25, and Saquon was #26. Obviously, no one is using Saquon as an injury replacement for a QB in a SF league, because Saquon is already starting. It's not Deebo (#93.) More than likely, you're way down to Zay Jones or Khalil Herbert as your non-QB SF. Maybe even lower than those guys.

If it's me, I'd rather draft roster Mayfield instead of Zay or Khalil in a SF, simply because in the event one of my starting QBs is out, Mayfield can help me more than marginal flex players can.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, CWilliams
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JFord, Corum, JWright
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, Q Johnston, DeDouglas, MCorley
TE: Goedert, Okongwo
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, DLloyd; (DE/DL) Sieler; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, Singletary, AJD, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, VJefferson, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

PTW32
Captain
Captain

Postby PTW32 » Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:38 am

Anteaters wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:24 am
PTW32 wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 6:45 amDo you need a 3rd starting QB on your squad to handle bye weeks and injuries if you expect to compete?
Necessary? No.
Wise? Absolutely!

Going with only two QBs in a SF is risky. In one of my SF leagues, in 2023 QBs made up 17/25 top players by ppr. Sam Darnold was #25, and Saquon was #26. Obviously, no one is using Saquon as an injury replacement for a QB in a SF league, because Saquon is already starting. It's not Deebo (#93.) More than likely, you're way down to Zay Jones or Khalil Herbert as your non-QB SF. Maybe even lower than those guys.

If it's me, I'd rather draft roster Mayfield instead of Zay or Khalil in a SF, simply because in the event one of my starting QBs is out, Mayfield can help me more than marginal flex players can.
This is interesting and one of the reasons that I think scoring setting probably matter.

In my league Sam Darnold had 14.3 points per game and was player 58. (Maybe qb scoring is inflated in your league or it's possible my stats are including week 18 where he scored less than a point and your stats arnt because it's not relevant to fantasy)

Barkley had 17.8 points per game.

Darnold also only played 6 weeks so unless you needed him in those weeks it doesn't matter what his points per game was.

In my league Darnold had a points per game similar to Christian Kirk. Depending on the number of starter Kirk could probably be a guy you use in the SF spot.

QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, 3Flex

Kurt G.O.A.T.
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Kurt G.O.A.T. » Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:44 am

PTW32 wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:38 am
Necessary? No.
Wise? Absolutely!

This is interesting and one of the reasons that I think scoring setting probably matter.

In my league Sam Darnold had 14.3 points per game and was player 58. (Maybe qb scoring is inflated in your league or it's possible my stats are including week 18 where he scored less than a point and your stats arnt because it's not relevant to fantasy)

Darnold also only played 6 weeks so unless you needed him in those weeks it doesn't matter what his points per game was.

In my league Darnold had a points per game similar to Christian Kirk. Depending on the number of starter Kirk could probably be a guy you use in the SF spot.
You're looking at it the wrong way. You can't compare your 3rd qb to a starting rb or wr. You have to compare them to the player you will have to flex if your starting qb goes down.

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:45 am

Necessary? No.
Wise? Absolutely!

When reviewing stats from my fantasy leagues, I never include week 18 stats for fantasy. The only time I include week 18 stats is if the source (NFL Reference) is set up to generate stats-by-season.

Also, I don't play in any leagues where Kirk is not a weekly starter.

Lastly, I brought up Darnold because he is a QB most fantasy players try to avoid. Kind of like Mayfield this season. We all make fun of them and no one wants to start either.

But that's my point. As bad as they are compared to other QBs, Darnold/Mayfield are much much MUCH better than whoever is your WR4 or RB4 who would be the player to step up into that SF position.
TEAM 1:

TEAM 2:
2023 semifinals loser

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:58 am

I would easily prefer a 3rd QB over a 4th RB as an example.

Roster construction is obviously flexible based on the positional strength of ones team but it is not wise IMO to only run with 2 QB's given the high probability of missed games and so few starters at the position.

In 2 QB leagues, if you only have 2 then you are one injury away from missing the playoffs most likely if you don't have a legit replacement.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

PTW32
Captain
Captain

Postby PTW32 » Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:08 am

Anteaters wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:45 am
Necessary? No.
Wise? Absolutely!

When reviewing stats from my fantasy leagues, I never include week 18 stats for fantasy. The only time I include week 18 stats is if the source (NFL Reference) is set up to generate stats-by-season.

Also, I don't play in any leagues where Kirk is not a weekly starter.

Lastly, I brought up Darnold because he is a QB most fantasy players try to avoid. Kind of like Mayfield this season. We all make fun of them and no one wants to start either.

But that's my point. As bad as they are compared to other QBs, Darnold/Mayfield are much much MUCH better than whoever is your WR4 or RB4 who would be the player to step up into that SF position.
I think that you are making valid points and I'm not trying to dispute them as much as I'm playing devils advocate. I'm fairly new to Superflex.

I do think it's probably league dependent. I'm in a handful of different SF leagues with different settings and I haven't really decided how I want to handle the QB position in each. So I'm curious to hear the thoughts of veteran SF players.

One is a 8 team (college friends league that has shrunk over the years) and 1/2 ppr.

I would never not play a QB in the SF spot. I think I'm rostering 4 of the top 10 dynasty QBs.

But I'm also in a 16 team ppr Start 8 where I would be playing Pittman or Gibbs in that SF spot if I don't get a 3rd QB. It might not be worth playing what it take for a shitty qb that could get benched any day.

QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, 3Flex

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:12 am

It's not easy trading for good QBs in SF. If you have three good ones, you have a ton of trade leverage and you have insurance.

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:01 am

PTW32 wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:08 amOne is a 8 team
No worries in an 8 team. You should probably already roster a third QB unless the roster limits are very low. And even if you do not roster a 3rd QB, one is probably always available on the waiver wire.
PTW32 wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:08 amI would never not play a QB in the SF spot. I think I'm rostering 4 of the top 10 dynasty QBs.
If you have 4 of the top 10QBs, you're already in good shape.
PTW32 wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:08 amBut I'm also in a 16 team ppr Start 8 where I would be playing Pittman or Gibbs in that SF spot if I don't get a 3rd QB. It might not be worth playing what it take for a shitty qb that could get benched any day.
In a 16-team SF league it is a lot more difficult to get a third QB. If you have Pittman and Gibbs on your roster and not starting for you, that's a luxury in such a large league. Depending on settings, I still think Mayfield will likely outscore those two, but those two are better than what most teams would have on their bench in a large league. Congrats.
TEAM 1:

TEAM 2:
2023 semifinals loser

PTW32
Captain
Captain

Postby PTW32 » Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:21 am

Anteaters wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:01 am
PTW32 wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:08 amOne is a 8 team
No worries in an 8 team. You should probably already roster a third QB unless the roster limits are very low. And even if you do not roster a 3rd QB, one is probably always available on the waiver wire.
PTW32 wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:08 amI would never not play a QB in the SF spot. I think I'm rostering 4 of the top 10 dynasty QBs.
If you have 4 of the top 10QBs, you're already in good shape.
PTW32 wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:08 amBut I'm also in a 16 team ppr Start 8 where I would be playing Pittman or Gibbs in that SF spot if I don't get a 3rd QB. It might not be worth playing what it take for a shitty qb that could get benched any day.
In a 16-team SF league it is a lot more difficult to get a third QB. If you have Pittman and Gibbs on your roster and not starting for you, that's a luxury in such a large league. Depending on settings, I still think Mayfield will likely outscore those two, but those two are better than what most teams would have on their bench in a large league. Congrats.
Mayfield might outscore them but what what if he gets benched in week 7 and my Starying QBs have byes weeks 9 and 11?

The the 1 point difference probably isn't worth the risk.

But obviously cost matters. Rodgers just went for a 1st and a 2nd in that league so I probably won't make a play for a 3rd QB right now.

I'd rather keep my assets and make that move if and when I need to.

But a 6 point passing TD league probably changes that and if cost was different it might as well.

I don't want to turn this into a conversation about my specific teams tho.

QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, 3Flex

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:32 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:12 am It's not easy trading for good QBs in SF. If you have three good ones, you have a ton of trade leverage and you have insurance.
Yup. I always try to keep 2 good/elite starters and then at least a 3rd and usually a 4th as insurance. Guys like Ridder/Howell/Love currently make up a bit of my QB3s or older/cheaper QBs can sometimes work in a pinch. Plenty of Baker/Mills/Minshew stashes that don't pan out, but I at least aim for 3 starters and try to keep a revolving door at the QB4 spot with either some backups or other benched rookies. I remember when Mahomes sat in my QB4 spot for that rookie year.

I also try to sell these short term starters also. They can bring back decent value if someone gets desperate. So I have gone in to a season with 2 starters and a backup QB before, but at that point I make QB a priority add and am always searching to get that 3rd starter back

chubnubbin
Starter
Starter

Postby chubnubbin » Sat Jul 22, 2023 8:42 am

The last few years I have dealt with Kyler Murray (injury) and Deshaun Watson (off the field issues). I do think you need 2+ QBs for times like that.