Highest point total (in ppr) rookie WR for 2023 will be…

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Highest point total (in ppr) rookie WR for 2023 will be…

Postby Jigga94 » Sat Jul 01, 2023 5:20 pm

Bronco Billy wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 3:10 pm Guys, talk me into liking Mingo. I watched quite a bit of his film prior to the draft and ended up putting him on my DND list because I knew he’d never last to the point where I’d be willing to risk a pick on him. He plays soft - and from what I saw it is really soft. He’s easily maneuvered and rerouted by physical corners and he clearly does not like contact and actively avoids it given the choice. .When he goes to the NFL the CBs are a lot stronger and the level of physicality goes up several notches. How does he win regularly in that environment?
I... couldn't pull the trigger on him either. I traded back a few spots and picked up another pick in the same range to just grab whoever fell. Was basically fine with 2-3 RB (Roschon, Tank) and 3 WR on the board (Mingo, Mims, Reed). Ended up with Roschon and Reed and happy to see if they get early opportunities

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sat Jul 01, 2023 5:35 pm

Jigga94 wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 5:20 pm
I... couldn't pull the trigger on him either. I traded back a few spots and picked up another pick in the same range to just grab whoever fell. Was basically fine with 2-3 RB (Roschon, Tank) and 3 WR on the board (Mingo, Mims, Reed). Ended up with Roschon and Reed and happy to see if they get early opportunities
Good: Size, Speed, Athleticism, Draft Pedigree
Bad: College Production

Best role in the NFL is probably as a big slot in the intermediate levels and it seems like that's how Carolina intends to use him. Route running is competent, though not a standout there. I don't think he plays soft, but I just don't see a potentially elite or very good skill as a WR. Also, he's had chances to take on a larger role, but for different reasons (some uncontrolled) he hasn't really grasped it. I think at one point he was playing TE for a little bit as well to make up for the loss of a player.

He's a solid football player, and I think can have a few fantasy relevant seasons, but I don't see him as someone who's going to hang around long as someone in the mix for T-24 production. He reminds me some of Quincy Enunwa (obviously w/o neck problems).

Gazzerk
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Gazzerk » Sat Jul 01, 2023 8:27 pm

Bronco Billy wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 3:10 pm Guys, talk me into liking Mingo. I watched quite a bit of his film prior to the draft and ended up putting him on my DND list because I knew he’d never last to the point where I’d be willing to risk a pick on him. He plays soft - and from what I saw it is really soft. He’s easily maneuvered and rerouted by physical corners and he clearly does not like contact and actively avoids it given the choice. .When he goes to the NFL the CBs are a lot stronger and the level of physicality goes up several notches. How does he win regularly in that environment?
You are not alone. The majority of people buying in just see an athletic player that dropped into a very good situation. I was shocked when the Panthers drafted him as high as they did. Feels like they were shooting for a ceiling hat I don’t think is even there. I personally watched most Ole Miss games last season which is a wild statement to announce but I love watching Judkins run. Ironically I started watching them to get a feel for Evans and ended up falling in love with Judkins. Mingo is not impressive. He did absolutely nothing until his senior year at which point he put up okay numbers as a grown man. He has physical ability and athleticism but he is just not very skilled as a receiver which is pretty important for playing wide receiver in the NFL. Plays super soft. He will get man handled by average NFL corners. I laughed when he went 1.13 in my league’s draft. I hope he proves me wrong for his sake but I highly doubt it.
Team:14 Team Dynasty 1/2 PPR Unlimited Keepers 2IR
Starting Reqs: 1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 1WRT 1K 1Def
QB - Mahomes
RB - Bijan, Swift, Najee, Dobbins, Gibson, Chase Brown, Abanikanda, Sean Tucker, Zach Evans
WR - Chase, Waddle, A. Cooper, JSN, J. Jeudy, Jameson Williams, Hutchinson
TE - Andrews, T. McBride, Schoonmaker
K- Butker
Def- Chiefs

Picks:
2024 2 1sts, 2 3rds
2025 2 3rds
2026 1st, 3rd

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Jul 01, 2023 8:45 pm

Steve Smith liked him. Compared him to Eric Moulds. He definitely needs to be put in the right role, he's not a do it all type guy, but with the right fit, he should have a solid NFL career.

Mingo was going to have a big junior year, but broke his foot, so I really don't knock him for the breakout thing, as much as someone who was healthy for 3 years and didn't do anything. The QB play this year was pretty bad, Mingo could have had a much bigger year if he wasn't missed so much.

He's got some really good ball skills. Good in the screen game too, with his RAC ability. Big slot would be ideal, I agree.

I don't think he'll be the highest scoring rookie this year, though.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Gazzerk
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Gazzerk » Sat Jul 01, 2023 10:00 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 8:45 pm Steve Smith liked him. Compared him to Eric Moulds. He definitely needs to be put in the right role, he's not a do it all type guy, but with the right fit, he should have a solid NFL career.

Mingo was going to have a big junior year, but broke his foot, so I really don't knock him for the breakout thing, as much as someone who was healthy for 3 years and didn't do anything. The QB play this year was pretty bad, Mingo could have had a much bigger year if he wasn't missed so much.

He's got some really good ball skills. Good in the screen game too, with his RAC ability. Big slot would be ideal, I agree.

Definitely a fair point. Dart was bad pretty often.
Team:14 Team Dynasty 1/2 PPR Unlimited Keepers 2IR
Starting Reqs: 1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 1WRT 1K 1Def
QB - Mahomes
RB - Bijan, Swift, Najee, Dobbins, Gibson, Chase Brown, Abanikanda, Sean Tucker, Zach Evans
WR - Chase, Waddle, A. Cooper, JSN, J. Jeudy, Jameson Williams, Hutchinson
TE - Andrews, T. McBride, Schoonmaker
K- Butker
Def- Chiefs

Picks:
2024 2 1sts, 2 3rds
2025 2 3rds
2026 1st, 3rd

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Sun Jul 02, 2023 4:47 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 8:45 pm Steve Smith liked him. Compared him to Eric Moulds. He definitely needs to be put in the right role, he's not a do it all type guy, but with the right fit, he should have a solid NFL career.

Steve Smith may also see a a little T.O in him and was 22 when drafted. He is about an inch shorter than T.O but more athletic. People can dislike him but he has the size, weight, speed, and key athletic traits to be really good as he develops if he can stay healthy.

He has significant upside which is the reason he was drafted high this past draft.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Sun Jul 02, 2023 6:45 pm

I agree that his film wasn't jaw-droppingly good, but he was good enough to be put into the bucket of "yeah sure?" for me. I don't agree at all with the people saying he looked bad, I didn't see that at all. Lance Zierlein, whose opinion I don't always agree with but I respect, said this:

"Big, strong slot receiver possessing the mental and physical toughness to outperform his speed limitations. The career production is nothing special, but it’s clear he’s put time and effort into his craft. He runs crisp, well-paced routes and ramps up his focus when it’s time to go get the football."

He lists negatives also, as he does with every player, but the bolded is really high praise for what most think is just an athletic guy with no football skills. The way he was winning against defenders wasn't flashy but it worked. He didn't have to do 10 juke moves like jerry jeudy to beat his man so it's not as pleasing to the eye. Mingo is very compact and efficient with his movements so it doesn't look like he's doing much. I like his pairing with Young who has pin-point placement. Also the WR depth chart is a big nothing-burger behind Thielen, who may or may not be washed himself.

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:12 am

Steve Smith also said Mingo is “almost like a running back”. Watching Mingo play, that opinion is almost laughable.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:24 pm

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 6:45 pm "Big, strong slot receiver possessing the mental and physical toughness to outperform his speed limitations. The career production is nothing special, but it’s clear he’s put time and effort into his craft. He runs crisp, well-paced routes and ramps up his focus when it’s time to go get the football."
His evaluation also implies that a guy who runs a 4.46 at 226lbs is slow. :lol:

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:32 pm

This guy seems pretty good.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=236438

No I don't think he'll be the #1 scoring rookie WR.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:52 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 8:45 pm Mingo was going to have a big junior year, but broke his foot, so I really don't knock him for the breakout thing, as much as someone who was healthy for 3 years and didn't do anything. The QB play this year was pretty bad, Mingo could have had a much bigger year if he wasn't missed so much.

For what it's worth, Winks and Norris liked him a lot too, and were willing to potentially give him the benefit of the doubt for the exact same reasons. (Your bull case sounds a lot like theirs, and I mean that as a compliment)

They also have the inside line to Josh McCown at the Panthers still (if you don't know) and they got one peep out of him re. the CAR FO's feelings on Mingo: "High as f---." We know they aren't lying about that either - that high 2nd round draft capital spoke volumes.

The bottom line is - if you're a #size truther at WR, then your +210-215 lb options this year are extremely limited. QJ at the top, Mingo in the 2nd, then the dice rolls guys in the 3rd - Wilson and Tillman. That's it, that's the whole list.

From that perspective, if that's your usual WR of choice - then I can completely understand rolling the dice on him, and hoping that things align for him - that he was unlucky in College, that the Panthers are correct in drafting him so high, and that Bryce is going to be good and this could be his #1 (or even #2) option.

That's a lot of things that need to align - but hey, it could definitely happen. I like Mingo anywhere after his ADP in the back of the 2nd if he's falling and you need a WR.

So there you go Bronco Billy - that's the Mingo bull case - as best we can make it for you.

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Mon Jul 03, 2023 3:55 pm

Sriracha wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:24 pm
Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 6:45 pm "Big, strong slot receiver possessing the mental and physical toughness to outperform his speed limitations. The career production is nothing special, but it’s clear he’s put time and effort into his craft. He runs crisp, well-paced routes and ramps up his focus when it’s time to go get the football."
His evaluation also implies that a guy who runs a 4.46 at 226lbs is slow. :lol:
Well, he may not have been 100% healthy after the broken foot. But yeah, the scouting reports often have conflicting information

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Mon Jul 03, 2023 4:17 pm

mild wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:52 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 8:45 pm Mingo was going to have a big junior year, but broke his foot, so I really don't knock him for the breakout thing, as much as someone who was healthy for 3 years and didn't do anything. The QB play this year was pretty bad, Mingo could have had a much bigger year if he wasn't missed so much.

For what it's worth, Winks and Norris liked him a lot too, and were willing to potentially give him the benefit of the doubt for the exact same reasons. (Your bull case sounds a lot like theirs, and I mean that as a compliment)

They also have the inside line to Josh McCown at the Panthers still (if you don't know) and they got one peep out of him re. the CAR FO's feelings on Mingo: "High as f---." We know they aren't lying about that either - that high 2nd round draft capital spoke volumes.

The bottom line is - if you're a #size truther at WR, then your +210-215 lb options this year are extremely limited. QJ at the top, Mingo in the 2nd, then the dice rolls guys in the 3rd - Wilson and Tillman. That's it, that's the whole list.

From that perspective, if that's your usual WR of choice - then I can completely understand rolling the dice on him, and hoping that things align for him - that he was unlucky in College, that the Panthers are correct in drafting him so high, and that Bryce is going to be good and this could be his #1 (or even #2) option.

That's a lot of things that need to align - but hey, it could definitely happen. I like Mingo anywhere after his ADP in the back of the 2nd if he's falling and you need a WR.

So there you go Bronco Billy - that's the Mingo bull case - as best we can make it for you.
I ultimately had Mingo #2 WR in this class for fantasy but after JSN I had several rated really close. (Not a ton of separation this year IMO at WR) I grabbed him at 1.9 and 2.4 in leagues and based on my rankings, he was a solid choice there. Interestingly he was the 5th WR off the board in both of those leagues.

Love his intensity and think he went to an outstanding situation to develop. Time will tell but he doesn't seem like too much of a risk IMO. I had a mid 1st round grade based on how I look at a players skill set.

The players that really focus on production will mark him down. The Panthers obviously didn't.

I believe his best football is ahead of him and he will develop into a very good player in a few years as their #1 WR.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Mon Jul 03, 2023 4:58 pm

Ice wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 4:17 pm
mild wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:52 pm

I ultimately had Mingo #2 WR in this class for fantasy but after JSN I had several rated really close. (Not a ton of separation this year IMO at WR) I grabbed him at 1.9 and 2.4 in leagues and based on my rankings, he was a solid choice there. Interestingly he was the 5th WR off the board in both of those leagues.

Love his intensity and think he went to an outstanding situation to develop. Time will tell but he doesn't seem like too much of a risk IMO. I had a mid 1st round grade based on how I look at a players skill set.

The players that really focus on production will mark him down. The Panthers obviously didn't.

I believe his best football is ahead of him and he will develop into a very good player in a few years as their #1 WR.
Have you not heard of our lord and savior Terrace Marshall Jr? :nono:

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:04 pm

Lumps wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 4:58 pm Have you not heard of our lord and savior Terrace Marshall Jr? :nono:
I think it's a fair fight given that both guys have shown about roughly the same amount at the NFL level.