General Camp Talk/Observations

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

General Camp Talk/Observations

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:01 am

Sorry if there is already a thread on this, but figured if there isn't, there should be. Can carry this one into training camp if there isn't.

Michael Wilson fielding punts, Bijan running with WR's. All about reps IMO. Wilson isn't a returner, Bijan will line up out wide once in while, but these things are for players to get their hands on the ball and doing football things, IMO.

Also hearing Nico Collins is getting lots of targets from Stroud, seems to be looking his way a lot.

Dobbins not at camp, looking for a contract??
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: General Camp Talk/Observations

Postby Bronco Billy » Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:34 am

I’ll disagree here GB. Coaching staffs are gathering information this time of year. While Bijan won’t be reassigned to WR, with his ability as a receiver putting him out wide on some sets puts a tremendous burden on the D. And while Wilson may not be the primary PR, AZ wants to know whether he can do it. It offers them viable options in the event of an injury.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Jun 16, 2023 4:41 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:34 am I’ll disagree here GB. Coaching staffs are gathering information this time of year. While Bijan won’t be reassigned to WR, with his ability as a receiver putting him out wide on some sets puts a tremendous burden on the D. And while Wilson may not be the primary PR, AZ wants to know whether he can do it. It offers them viable options in the event of an injury.
I suppose. Bijan is going to be slit out at some points. . As I said, there will be times he's split out, and it's about getting him reps. I know they plan to use him everywhere, I think we're saying the same thing here. My point is don't get caught up in the idea he's going to be out there a ton.

With Wilson, perhaps you are right. It's usually disastrous to start having a guy return punts in the NFL with little to no prior experience. See Skyy Moore. I think it's definitely a good point, if an injury crops up and you need to go down the pecking order of someone to do it, it's good to see who can field them naturally. I just don't think it's the plan for him to be the PR, but it's definitely good to see who can and can't do it, especially when dealing with new players you haven't seen live, in that situation.

To be fair, Wilson did return 20 punts over his college career, though none the last 2 years, and his average wasn't good. He's not as inexperienced as Skyy, and that was a bad idea, but ultimately, they wanted to give it a shot. Definitely could be a guy who could have a backup PR label within the coaching staff, in regards to Wilson. Your point is definitely valid.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Fri Jun 16, 2023 5:25 am

While I dont expect Bijan to split out wide much, I personally think he would excel at it. The dude runs legit routes for a RB and has the size, speed and moves to make it work. I honestly think his receiving game is underrated if that's even possible for the dynasty RB1.

Dobbins is looking for a contract. Not sure what he thinks his value is since he's been hurt a lot of his career. I get him wanting to negotiate asap because RB just don't get paid in FA, but realistically I can't see him getting much...

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Jun 16, 2023 5:38 am

Jigga94 wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 5:25 am While I dont expect Bijan to split out wide much, I personally think he would excel at it. The dude runs legit routes for a RB and has the size, speed and moves to make it work. I honestly think his receiving game is underrated if that's even possible for the dynasty RB1.

Dobbins is looking for a contract. Not sure what he thinks his value is since he's been hurt a lot of his career. I get him wanting to negotiate asap because RB just don't get paid in FA, but realistically I can't see him getting much...
Yeah, I think Dobbins may be looking for some guarantees right now, due to his injury, another one would be catastrophic. A Mattison type deal would be life changing, and if he could get incentives in there, that would be good. He's looking at the FA market next year, and realizing it's a deep class. Trying to lock in to a place he likes, and wants to stay, while guaranteeing some future income. I get it. A Mattison type deal would be what, 3 times his career earnings?

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Fri Jun 16, 2023 5:50 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 5:38 am
Jigga94 wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 5:25 am While I dont expect Bijan to split out wide much, I personally think he would excel at it. The dude runs legit routes for a RB and has the size, speed and moves to make it work. I honestly think his receiving game is underrated if that's even possible for the dynasty RB1.

Yeah, I think Dobbins may be looking for some guarantees right now, due to his injury, another one would be catastrophic. A Mattison type deal would be life changing, and if he could get incentives in there, that would be good. He's looking at the FA market next year, and realizing it's a deep class. Trying to lock in to a place he likes, and wants to stay, while guaranteeing some future income. I get it. A Mattison type deal would be what, 3 times his career earnings?
Sadly, I think he's going to be looking for a bit more than 7m for 2 years so Im not sure if they can come to an agreement. But I agree on the premise that it would be similar length and not near the top end RB deals.

Even then, a 7m deal is more than he will have made his entire rookie deal.

Don't let your kids become RB

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Fri Jun 16, 2023 8:51 am

This. As amazing of a receiver as Gibbs is (and he truly is that, more than we have seen of late out of prospects) Bijan is pretty damn good as well. He truly is a fluid athlete and shifty. The very same quicks he displays in the hole (and is a massive part of why he is successful) he shows on breaks.

Will he be Devonta Adams out there? Of course not.
COULD he have a season putting up 1400 yards rushing and catching 60 balls? Definitely. Will they give him that kind of usage, remains to be seen.

Bottom line is I think because Bijan is in this draft, people aren't realizing how good Gibbs is. And conversely, because of how good Gibbs is as a receiver, people are underestimating Bijan's ability as a reciever.

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:12 am

Lumps wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 8:51 am

Bottom line is I think because Bijan is in this draft, people aren't realizing how good Gibbs is. And conversely, because of how good Gibbs is as a receiver, people are underestimating Bijan's ability as a reciever.
I don’t quite understand this. So you’re saying people can’t accurately evaluate a player because they are influenced by other players? I don’t think I’ve ever modified my position on any player because of the strengths and weaknesses of another player in their draft. Do others do that?

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:23 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:12 am

I don’t quite understand this. So you’re saying people can’t accurately evaluate a player because they are influenced by other players? I don’t think I’ve ever modified my position on any player because of the strengths and weaknesses of another player in their draft. Do others do that?
You may not. Others say, "Gibbs is no Bijan." Of course he isn't. Some people view things in rankings and #2 isn't as good as #1.

Edit: Case in point, look at the early 2024 draft thread. Look how many people (especially on the low post count side) just pop in with a 5 word statement about how 2024 is just MHJ. They are gonna tank for MHJ. Trading their whole team for MHJ.
Last edited by Lumps on Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:40 am

Lumps wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:23 am
Bronco Billy wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:12 am

You may not. Others say, "Gibbs is no Bijan." Of course he isn't. Some people view things in rankings and #2 isn't as good as #1.
Well, IMO in this case it would be accurate. But then I’ve got Charbonnet and Miller above Gibbs until DET shows me that they are going to use Gibbs like Payton used Kamara and then Gibbs shows he can handle that kind of role and workload successfully. I’m skeptical on both accounts.

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:47 pm

After such a promising beginning, this is now just another Bijan thread. :crazy:
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, Levis
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JavonteWms, JFord, CEH
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, MWilliams, Q Johnston
TE: Goedert, Friermuth
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, AJD, Singletary, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:59 pm

Anteaters wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:47 pm After such a promising beginning, this is now just another Bijan thread. :crazy:
I'm happy to make it the Elijah Moore, Michael Wilson, and Tank Bigsby thread. :dance:

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Fri Jun 16, 2023 4:27 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:01 am Sorry if there is already a thread on this, but figured if there isn't, there should be. Can carry this one into training camp if there isn't.

Michael Wilson fielding punts, Bijan running with WR's. All about reps IMO. Wilson isn't a returner, Bijan will line up out wide once in while, but these things are for players to get their hands on the ball and doing football things, IMO.

Also hearing Nico Collins is getting lots of targets from Stroud, seems to be looking his way a lot.

Dobbins not at camp, looking for a contract??
I had read that Atlanta is implementing some weird positionless offense. Makes some sense given their personnel, but not really sure how they plan to implement this.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Fri Jun 16, 2023 4:29 pm

(Rotowire) Blackshear appears to be in line for an expanded offensive role under the Panthers' new coaching staff, reports Mike Kaye of The Charlotte Observer.
Analysis: Blackshear was singled out as an "under-the-radar" standout in spring practices by coach Frank Reich, according to Kaye. Signed by Carolina in September 2022 after he was cut by the Bills, Blackshear appeared in 13 games for the Panthers last season, rushing 23 times for 77 yards and three touchdowns in mop-up duties behind D'Onta Foreman and Chuba Hubbard. He also caught 10 balls for 93 yards, and serving as a pass-catching complement to Miles Sanders could be his primary ticket to playing time this season.
I still think Sanders is taking the bulk of the receiving role, but interesting development all the same…
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

pvillebiker
Captain
Captain

Postby pvillebiker » Fri Jun 16, 2023 4:45 pm

tell me more about Nico Collins. Was ready to drop him next month to keep Donta Foreman and David Montgomery, with league cutdowns coming up next month. Nico has disappointed so far, but maybe he's just been the classic 3rd year WR breakout all along? Not banking on him in the Julio Jones role though. LOL