Ring of Fame

The Official Brock Purdy Thread

Postby Lumps » Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:11 am

Pickett
Geno
Purdy - 95 overall
Lance - 98 overall
Russell
Carr (honestly, this is the one that is surprising)

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: PSA: Purdy has now overtaken Lance on KTC

Postby Bronco Billy » Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:34 am

Rightfully so, draft capital and sunken costs be damned. SF has made it very clear that this is Purdy’s job to lose. A great lesson in performance on the field superseding other factors.

As to Carr - I’m going to have to put out a feeler on him. It’s seems to me that he’s in a great position to put up some solid numbers with upside.

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:01 am

May not be a popular opinion, but I also find Russell's ranking a little low.

He's always out to prove his doubters wrong, realizes he wasn't mentally or physically in top shape (he's clearly dropped some weight this year though). And the "coaching staff" in Denver last year was a total joke. They've got a great coach in Payton who will instill some discipline, in addition to having a competent offensive scheme.

While they may well run the ball a ton, I still think Russell has a bounce-back season and reminds a lot of people that despite 2022, he's still a pretty good QB. I think he has better numbers at season's end than Purdy at least. Assuming both stay healthy and play a full 17.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:11 am

Well, we know that Purdy is better than Lance, but with the caveat that we also don't know what Lance really is. So, this is how it should be. Purdy is the embodiment of the foundational traits and skills Shanahan wants in a QB for his system. Maybe he turns into a pumpkin, or maybe he doesn't, but for now he should unquestionably have more value than Lance.

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:23 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:11 am Well, we know that Purdy is better than Lance, but with the caveat that we also don't know what Lance really is. So, this is how it should be. Purdy is the embodiment of the foundational traits and skills Shanahan wants in a QB for his system. Maybe he turns into a pumpkin, or maybe he doesn't, but for now he should unquestionably have more value than Lance.
It's funny with hindsight, how things would look if they would have gone with Mac Jones. The rumors were there. I know they have said Kyle was all in on Lance, but man..... if that is just talk because they drafted Lance.... and Kyle wanted Mac....I can only imagine what those conversations are like now.

If Purdy comes back they lucked out. But...eesh.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:34 am

I'd take Carr over Russ.

Lance has has so little playing time since his senior year of HS, it's going to take him years to get to where he needs to be, and unfortunately, I don't think he's going to be given that rope. It was imperative with his lack of experience and rawness that he be healthy for the first few years of his NFL career, and it just didn't materialize, and his career trajectory has been permanently altered due to it.

Purdy is the likely starter for SF until he gets hurt, if his play last year is any indication of what to expect moving forward. He fits what Kyle wants. Hard to know who was pulling the strings in that draft with Lance, but it's pretty clear from the past few years the 49ers staff have soured on Lance, they just lucked out and got someone who looks to fit what they want with a late round pick.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

YouMightDieTryin
MVP
MVP

Postby YouMightDieTryin » Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:44 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:34 am I'd take Carr over Russ.

Lance has has so little playing time since his senior year of HS, it's going to take him years to get to where he needs to be, and unfortunately, I don't think he's going to be given that rope. It was imperative with his lack of experience and rawness that he be healthy for the first few years of his NFL career, and it just didn't materialize, and his career trajectory has been permanently altered due to it.

Purdy is the likely starter for SF until he gets hurt, if his play last year is any indication of what to expect moving forward. He fits what Kyle wants. Hard to know who was pulling the strings in that draft with Lance, but it's pretty clear from the past few years the 49ers staff have soured on Lance, they just lucked out and got someone who looks to fit what they want with a late round pick.
And unfortunately if there is a team that's going to give him a chance it likely won't be one in good condition. So he'd be fighting an even harder uphill battle.

remedy29
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby remedy29 » Sat Jul 22, 2023 8:32 am

YouMightDieTryin wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:44 am

And unfortunately if there is a team that's going to give him a chance it likely won't be one in good condition. So he'd be fighting an even harder uphill battle.
I don't know, to me Trey Lance can't be on a better team to show what he can do. He is still on SF, and between Lance and Purdy, Lance is the healthy one and my money is on Lance being the week 1 starter. By mid season, it will be between Lance's play and Purdy's health to see who plays.

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:03 am

remedy29 wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 8:32 am
YouMightDieTryin wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:44 am

I don't know, to me Trey Lance can't be on a better team to show what he can do. He is still on SF, and between Lance and Purdy, Lance is the healthy one and my money is on Lance being the week 1 starter. By mid season, it will be between Lance's play and Purdy's health to see who plays.
I had to double check when this post was written…it reads like it was copied from a post written after the playoff loss.

Reports are that Lance has fallen behind Darnold. Purdy is throwing. Purdy is working with a QB coach in the off time between mini camp and training camp.

remedy29
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby remedy29 » Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:20 am

Oh, the "reports." i guess nothing to see here then.

I do tend to care what the head coach actually says (2 days ago);

"I get how everyone wants something set in stone, but it's not set in stone. I love the options. I love the experience that Brock got. Trey got some too. I love the ability that we have in the room. Besides those three, I love our room around them. Let's let it play out, and all I have to do is survive the press conferences."

https://www.49ers.com/news/shanahan-thr ... ining-camp

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:55 am

remedy29 wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:20 am Oh, the "reports." i guess nothing to see here then.

I do tend to care what the head coach actually says (2 days ago);

"I get how everyone wants something set in stone, but it's not set in stone. I love the options. I love the experience that Brock got. Trey got some too. I love the ability that we have in the room. Besides those three, I love our room around them. Let's let it play out, and all I have to do is survive the press conferences."

https://www.49ers.com/news/shanahan-thr ... ining-camp
You’re disparaging the “reports” but you’re giving credence to pre-TC coachspeak?

Pot, meet kettle.

MFundercover
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby MFundercover » Sat Jul 22, 2023 3:59 pm

What reports? And what are they based on? There has been zero football activity since mini camp.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Jul 24, 2023 2:41 am

MFundercover wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 3:59 pm What reports? And what are they based on? There has been zero football activity since mini camp.
Basically sums up the last 4 years for Lance. :lol:

In all seriousness, I think the number 2 spot is likely an open competition, but I don't see how Darnold could be ahead of him going into training camp.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Mon Jul 24, 2023 5:04 am

The reports are from OTAs. Of course that’s not fair to Lance since OTAs are basically passing exercises and that puts him at a huge disadvantage.

MFundercover
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby MFundercover » Mon Jul 24, 2023 6:24 am

Beat writers trying to grab a headline at OTAs have zero credibility.