Rookie RB beyond the top 4

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Rookie RB beyond the top 4

Postby Jigga94 » Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:23 am

So obviously Bijan, Gibbs, Kendre and Charbonnet generally make up the top 4 rookies. Curious to know the next 5 or so RB everyone likes beyond them. For me, in no order...

Achane: Size concerns, but has crazy speed and can catch. Does he become a consistent fantasy producer or more of a splash play type RB?

Tank: pretty decent all around. I don't see anything eye popping when I watch him, but he's got the size/speed and some good cuts. Bad vision though and was TFL a lot, some due to the OL, but some due to his indecisiveness. Does he get decent workload behind ETN or mostly goal line duties?

Spears: smaller back, but very shifty. I love his moves but weary of his injury history. No ACL in his knee + arthritis seems like a huge red flag, but he's shown he can play post injury. Henry is a huge deterrent for his value for now, but Spears should compliment him well.

Roschon: not the most athletic, but seems to have a great feel for the game. Former QB, good size and the obviously limited workload behind Bijan. Does he get the opportunity to be an early down back in CHI?

After those 4, I see a decent drop to the likes of Abanikanda, Brown, Tucker, McBride, Evans, etc etc.

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Re: Rookie RB beyond the top 4

Postby ericanadian » Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:41 am

In this order:

Tank: Don’t really agree on the vision thing. Not confident he’ll supplant ETN, but not confident ETN will stay healthy either.
Achane: A bit on the smaller side on a team that has struggled with running back health. I do like his skillset though.
Roschon: Ticks all the boxes, but just seems easily replaceable to me. I could see him being one of those guys with the promising season only to be immediately replaced.

Spears: Didn’t really play any upper tier college defenses and still got hurt a fair bit.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:53 am

Tank for me, but I wouldn't fault anyone for thinking Achane. Tank can play RB, did it in the SEC, was a high recruit, and will get goal line work for sure on an ascending offense.

Spears is an odd one as Henry is still there and we know that he won't last long - think Ajayi. I just am not interested in Dynasty.

Roschon has truthers but I think it'll wind up being fool's gold. People seem to underestimate the nuance that goes into playing RB. Not playing RB for most of your football career thus far puts him far behind the competition. He could be a great athlete, but that won't matter.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Sat Jun 10, 2023 2:00 pm

1. Roschon
—————
2. Achane
—————
3. Bigsby
4. Tyjae Spears
5. Zach Evans

The first 2 have open backfields which means opportunity which is the only thing I care about with round 3+ RBs.

Roschon is probably the best overall talent on this list. I could see him being the Dameon Pierce of this draft class.

The others are backups with very little competition. Could put up some useful weeks if the guys ahead of them get injured but are unlikely to be more than handcuffs
Roschon has truthers but I think it'll wind up being fool's gold. People seem to underestimate the nuance that goes into playing RB. Not playing RB for most of your football career thus far puts him far behind the competition. He could be a great athlete, but that won't matter.
RB isn't a long term position so I'm more interested in production pockets. If he seizes the starting job and looks good I'll be looking to move him ASAP like I did with Michael Carter and Dameon Pierce.

I'll let someone else take the NFL draft gamble.

remedy29
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby remedy29 » Sat Jun 10, 2023 2:43 pm

Bijan clearly the top RB. In PPR, Gibbs is very intriguing.
After the top 2, Tajae Spears is the top talent. Not sure why Derrick Henry would worry anyone, after this season, and Tajae knee condition didnt stop people from drafting Gurley.

Tajae belong in the Top 3.

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Sat Jun 10, 2023 2:51 pm

remedy29 wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 2:43 pm Bijan clearly the top RB. In PPR, Gibbs is very intriguing.
After the top 2, Tajae Spears is the top talent. Not sure why Derrick Henry would worry anyone, after this season, and Tajae knee condition didnt stop people from drafting Gurley.

Gurley was an elite level prospect. Spears is not that.

WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
K - Just a stupid kicker

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:00 pm

remedy29 wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 2:43 pm Bijan clearly the top RB. In PPR, Gibbs is very intriguing.

After Henry fades I’d expect TEN to sink some serious draft capital into the RB position.

Expecting Spears to be the heir apparent to Henry is wishful thinking

remedy29
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby remedy29 » Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:05 pm

Sriracha wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:00 pm

After Henry fades I’d expect TEN to sink some serious draft capital into the RB position.

If he was an elite level prospect, he'd be compared to Bijan.

Nobody is doing that, why are you?

He is being compared to Charbonnet, Achane and Kendre Miller.

Dont move the goal post. I said he was #3 compared to these inferior talented RBs. The mention of Gurley was in regards to his knee condition, not his prospect level.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:13 pm

remedy29 wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:05 pm

Dont move the goal post. I said he was #3 compared to these inferior talented RBs. The mention of Gurley was in regards to his knee condition, not his prospect level.
I didn't mention Gurley.

You were assuming there was upside given Henry's age and likelihood of not being a factor next year. I was simply pointing out that given TEN's offensive philosophy even if Henry isn't there in 2024 there will very likely be another blue chip prospect taking his place.

j4pac
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby j4pac » Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:24 pm

Watch Henry outlive Spears
SF, PPR, 12 team, 12 player dynasty

QB- Lawrence, Fields, Tannehill (max 2 keepers, 3 rostered)
RB- Bijan Robinson, T Pollard, Allgeier, Charbonnet, Achane, J Wilson, Kelley, K Williams
WR- Lamb, Jeudy, Hill, C Olave, A Pierce, Shaheed, Bourne
TE- Goedert, Musgrave

Kurt G.O.A.T.
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Kurt G.O.A.T. » Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:40 pm

I've been alternating between Achane and miller in my leagues. Just so happens I sit at the end of the 1st in most of my drafts so both are sitting there for me.

Not sure why people think Achane can't get it done. He looks very good between the tackles. Looks nifty. Sure he can't carry the load but he can make yards wherever.

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:19 pm

What? YOU mentioned Gurley. Gurley was an elite prospect. People drafted Gurley because he was an elite prospect. He had an ACL injury, not what Spears has which is far worse. Thus, people were willing to take the chance on an elite prospect. Gurley didn't have arthritis when he was drafted that came on later. Never mind the fact that Gurley went in the 1st round... and 10th overall...

You don't get to bring Gurley up and then blame others. Spears is on the wrong side of that comparison in every single way.

j4pac wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:24 pm Watch Henry outlive Spears
Remember Hassan Haskins? Darrynton Evans? They were going to take over for Henry too. :lol:

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Sat Jun 10, 2023 5:09 pm

Lumps wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:19 pm

What? YOU mentioned Gurley. Gurley was an elite prospect. People drafted Gurley because he was an elite prospect. He had an ACL injury, not what Spears has which is far worse. Thus, people were willing to take the chance on an elite prospect. Gurley didn't have arthritis when he was drafted that came on later. Never mind the fact that Gurley went in the 1st round... and 10th overall...

You don't get to bring Gurley up and then blame others. Spears is on the wrong side of that comparison in every single way.

j4pac wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:24 pm Watch Henry outlive Spears
Remember Hassan Haskins? Darrynton Evans? They were going to take over for Henry too. :lol:
When replacing a guy like Henry, it seems pretty likely that Haskins and Spears will split the role.

K - Just a stupid kicker

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Jun 10, 2023 5:53 pm

ericanadian wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 2:51 pm

Gurley's knee condition developed in year 4 of his career. It definitely hurt his value. He was being drafted at 1.01 by a lot of people and then his value dropped considerably. Tajae doesn't have an ACL. He's unproven in the NFL, and looks to be a 1 contract player, by all accounts. Don't agree at all that he's the top talent after Bijan and Gibbs. Also, losing 1 year behind Henry, when there's a good chance you're a 1 contract player, is kind of a big deal.
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Well done steak goes in the trash.

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:06 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 5:53 pm
ericanadian wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 2:51 pm

Gurley's knee condition developed in year 4 of his career. It definitely hurt his value. He was being drafted at 1.01 by a lot of people and then his value dropped considerably. Tajae doesn't have an ACL. He's unproven in the NFL, and looks to be a 1 contract player, by all accounts. Don't agree at all that he's the top talent after Bijan and Gibbs. Also, losing 1 year behind Henry, when there's a good chance you're a 1 contract player, is kind of a big deal.
To be fair, Frank Gore had similar issues with his knee and the guy just kept on going. Every player’s different with varying levels of pain tolerance and will power.

I’d be a lot more willing to take a chance on Spears if he were a little bigger with true 3 down potential