NFL Gambling - Does the second shoe drop?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Bronco Billy
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

NFL Gambling - Does the second shoe drop?

Postby Bronco Billy » Wed May 24, 2023 5:59 am

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl- ... er-report/
Gambling in the NFL has clearly become a problem as of late. Five total players from the Detroit Lions and Washington Commanderswere suspended for gambling violations just last month, and a new report indicates more could be on the way. Per ESPN, the NFL is investigating a second wave of potential violations of its gambling policy.

BabyChark23
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: NFL Gambling - Does the second shoe drop?

Postby BabyChark23 » Wed May 24, 2023 6:12 am

Tyreek has had some really weird tweets recently about the NFL “tagging him” and “I’m gonna get cut aren’t I?” and “Adversity is opportunity”. Some idle speculation that he might be part of this second wave.

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Postby abloom » Wed May 24, 2023 6:18 am

I think this has been inevitable. There have been two big factors in the increase of gambling overall on football in the last decade. The increased accessibility of sports books specifically online, and the increase of fantasy football. Keep in mind, the goal of the NFL is to make money for the owners. Anything that makes money is good, anything that loses money is bad. By partnering with sports books and promoting fantasy football as much as the NFL has has resulted in a significant revenue increase for the owners. The NFL won't be going back on that.

There will always be players that will look for edges to make money, and really I'm not concerned about players that place money on non-football games. I'm concerned about the ones that place money on football games. Fortunately the dumb ones will place the bets themselves. They should be banned for life on the first offense. The smarter ones will have others place the bets. Really there is nothing that can be done here.

My guess is we will see a couple guys get suspended every year. Hopefully there will never be rumors/evidence of players fixing games. But it's too late to put the genie back in the bottle.
Tm 1
12 team, 1 ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,2F,1D,1K

Q: Kyler, AR
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, chandler, T tracey
W: Evans, Chase, Mooney, Collins, Dell, Pickens
T: Kelce, Goedert, T johnson
D: nyj
K: Sanders

Tm 2
12 team, 1ppr (1.5 TE), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,1SF,1F,1D,1K

Q: Murray, Watson, Maye, McCarthy, R Wilson, howell
R: Swift, Walker, gus bus, Moss, Zeke,
W: Puka, Metcalf, Dell, Cooper, DJM, K Allen
T: Kelce, Pitts, t Johnson, bell
K: Tucker
D: CLE

Tm 3
14 team, SF, 1PPR (2 TE), 1Q,2R,3W,1T,1SF,2F

Q: Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson, Stafford, heinekie, flacco, browning
R: Mostert, walker, a Jones, Charb, Z White, R white, McLaughlin, wilson
W: Waddle, A St Brown, K Allen, Cooper, Nuk, watson
T: Kelce, Schultz, Thomas, Ferguson

Tm 4
https://www49.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0004&O=01

Tm 5
https://www45.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =07&F=0009

Tm 6
https://www46.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0013&O=07

Bronco Billy
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Wed May 24, 2023 6:29 am

The rules seem pretty simple, straight forward and reasonable IMO. Players can gamble, but cannot place bets on NFL games and can’t place bets in the work place. I believe but am not certain that there is a ceiling on the amount that can be bet. And apparently all players are thoroughly educated about the rules and what the consequences are.

If a player’s gambling issues are so significant that they can’t abide by those conditions maybe it’s a good thing that they get caught early on.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Wed May 24, 2023 8:56 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 6:29 am The rules seem pretty simple, straight forward and reasonable IMO. Players can gamble, but cannot place bets on NFL games and can’t place bets in the work place. I believe but am not certain that there is a ceiling on the amount that can be bet. And apparently all players are thoroughly educated about the rules and what the consequences are.

If a player’s gambling issues are so significant that they can’t abide by those conditions maybe it’s a good thing that they get caught early on.
Pretty much spot on. Many seem to forget playing in the NFL is a privileged not a right.

Following the actual rules set forth by the league is not optional....Full Stop. Those that feel entitled or above the rules will pay a price when caught and should.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Wed May 24, 2023 3:28 pm

Waiting for front office executives to get caught doing this. With the heights that sports gambling has reached in popularity, accessibility, and now completely endorsed by the major professional leagues, we're not far off from a major scandal involving this.

slaughterrt
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby slaughterrt » Wed May 24, 2023 4:28 pm

Not to go completely off the rails, but this definitely has parallels to the banned substances rules. Players know the rules, and pay the consequences if they get caught breaking them. Some try to find their way around the rules, to whatever level of success.

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Wed May 24, 2023 4:45 pm

I am sitting on my coach and know the rules, don't feel a ton of sympathy.
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

Farley
Captain
Captain

Postby Farley » Wed May 24, 2023 6:18 pm

murphysxm wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 4:45 pm I am sitting on my coach and know the rules, don't feel a ton of sympathy.
Kind of feel bad for your coach.

SteveMaddensShoes
Legend
Legend

Postby SteveMaddensShoes » Wed May 24, 2023 9:42 pm

murphysxm wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 4:45 pm I am sitting on my coach and know the rules, don't feel a ton of sympathy.
To be fair, you are the one doing the sitting. So unless this is something consensual your coach probably has a different perspective.
TEAM 1 - 12 man SF. ppr, TEP 1.65 ppr

11 starters - QB, RB(2) WR(3) TE, SF, Flex(3)

Stroud, Kyler, Bryce Young, Anthony Richardson, Minshew, Trey Lance, Dalton l, Mike White

Breece, Achane, AJ Dillon, Justice Hill, Evan Hull, Chris Rodgriquez

Chase, Lamb, Waddle, Olave, London Drake, Demario Davis, Jake Bobo

Kyle Pitts, Mark Andrews, Kincaid, Schoonmaker

24 picks - 1x2, 3,4,5

Team 2-
12 man SF, .25ppc, .5ppr rbs, 1 ppr wr, 1.5 ppr TE

Joe Burrow, Trevor Lawerence, Jake Haehner, Jake Browning

JT, Kendre Miller,, K Ingram, Ty Chandler, Michael Carter, Kenny Macintosh, Sean Tucker

Puka, Rondale, Mooney, Wan’dale, Terrace Marshall, DPJ, Justyn Ross, Xavier Hutchinson,

Kyle Pitts, Luke Musgrave, Juwan Johnson, Darnell Washington, Jelani Woods, Elijah Higgins

24 - 1st x 3, 2nd x 2, 4th x 3 ,5

Csl312
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Csl312 » Thu May 25, 2023 2:20 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 3:28 pm Waiting for front office executives to get caught doing this. With the heights that sports gambling has reached in popularity, accessibility, and now completely endorsed by the major professional leagues, we're not far off from a major scandal involving this.
Also wondering what will happen when a family member of some minority owner gets caught betting on sports of some sort. These sort of things are going to happen sooner or later. I don't have an opinion on sports betting but I do think it's kinda terrible that the major leagues are all getting in on the gambling trend.

Bronco Billy
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Thu May 25, 2023 5:24 am

Csl312 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 2:20 am
Cameron Giles wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 3:28 pm Waiting for front office executives to get caught doing this. With the heights that sports gambling has reached in popularity, accessibility, and now completely endorsed by the major professional leagues, we're not far off from a major scandal involving this.
Also wondering what will happen when a family member of some minority owner gets caught betting on sports of some sort. These sort of things are going to happen sooner or later. I don't have an opinion on sports betting but I do think it's kinda terrible that the major leagues are all getting in on the gambling trend.
Why would they be subject to any action by the league?

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Postby abloom » Thu May 25, 2023 5:45 am

Csl312 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 2:20 am
That's gonna be on the sports books to deny service to those that they think are taking advantage.

Minority owners are likely subject to NFL rules. Family members of players are not.
Tm 1
12 team, 1 ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,2F,1D,1K

Q: Kyler, AR
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, chandler, T tracey
W: Evans, Chase, Mooney, Collins, Dell, Pickens
T: Kelce, Goedert, T johnson
D: nyj
K: Sanders

Tm 2
12 team, 1ppr (1.5 TE), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,1SF,1F,1D,1K

Q: Murray, Watson, Maye, McCarthy, R Wilson, howell
R: Swift, Walker, gus bus, Moss, Zeke,
W: Puka, Metcalf, Dell, Cooper, DJM, K Allen
T: Kelce, Pitts, t Johnson, bell
K: Tucker
D: CLE

Tm 3
14 team, SF, 1PPR (2 TE), 1Q,2R,3W,1T,1SF,2F

Q: Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson, Stafford, heinekie, flacco, browning
R: Mostert, walker, a Jones, Charb, Z White, R white, McLaughlin, wilson
W: Waddle, A St Brown, K Allen, Cooper, Nuk, watson
T: Kelce, Schultz, Thomas, Ferguson

Tm 4
https://www49.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0004&O=01

Tm 5
https://www45.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =07&F=0009

Tm 6
https://www46.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0013&O=07

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Thu May 25, 2023 7:41 am

Farley wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 6:18 pm
Oops, darn fat fingers
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

Paul717
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Paul717 » Thu May 25, 2023 9:47 am

murphysxm wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 7:41 am
Farley wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 6:18 pm
Oops, darn fat fingers
Fair enough...but still...what were you trying to type? :lol:
"Marathon Square" - 16 team full PPR league with 24 player roster. Keep 16 per year indefinitely, draft 8. Start 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 Team DST
QB: Jordan Love, Deshaun Watson
RB: Travis Etienne, Aaron Jones, Jamaal Williams, Kendre Miller, Jaleel McLaughlin, Sean Tucker, Deuce Vaughn
WR: A.J. Brown, Garrett Wilson, Tee Higgins, Calvin Ridley, Michael Wilson, Kendrick Bourne, Tutu Atwell, Allen Lazard, Isaiah Hodgins, Justin Shorter
TE: T.J. Hockenson, Cole Kmet, Kylen Granson
K: Didn't make the playoffs in 2023 :cry: , and don't usually hold one in the offseason
Team DST: Cowboys, Lions

Picks:
2024: 1.06, 2.06, 4.06, 5.06, 6.06, 7.06, 8.06

Disclaimer: My one and only Championship in this league was way back in 2011. Therefore, take my replies with the appropriate grain of salt. :lol: