What to do with the MN backfield?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
mild
Legend
Legend

Re: What to do with the MN backfield?

Postby mild » Tue Jun 20, 2023 1:56 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 6:49 am I mean, they had him for 4 years and paid him solid FA money, knowing they'd likely cut Dalvin post June. I think it was 4th most money in FA, but in most years, like the last 4 or 5 it would have been 2nd most (for a RB) It's always possible they get a vet cheap, but most of these guys are holding out for THEIR price, not the team's price.

I'm not buying at his inflated price, nor do I have him, but I think their plan is that he's their guy, unless they get a team friendly deal for someone else.
I would push back on "Solid FA money". He got 2 years 3.5 million p/y, and the 1st year is a redo of his final rookie year - so he's basically just an interim option. Becomes a FA again in 2025.

Miles Sanders got 4 years at 6 million p/y - that's what a true commitment to an RB looks like in 2023. Mattison basically got interim money.

SoftwoodGrampian
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby SoftwoodGrampian » Tue Jun 20, 2023 8:30 pm

Hometown discount applied

Gazzerk
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Gazzerk » Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:05 pm

Last season there was chatter about Mattison being a trade target for RB needy teams but Minnesota didn’t want to move him. I can’t speak to the offers they may have gotten but if they didn’t value him then they likely would have moved him for any decent return. Then, this off-season, Mattison came out and openly said that he signed this deal with Minnesota with an understanding of what the plan was for him. That tells me they likely had a conversation with him to establish that they want to sign him to a slight discount compared to what he may get on the open market but that it would be his backfield. Will he succeed in that role? I have no clue but I think they will give him the chance to prove it or not.
Team:14 Team Dynasty 1/2 PPR Unlimited Keepers 2IR
Starting Reqs: 1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 1WRT 1K 1Def
QB - Mahomes
RB - Bijan, Swift, Najee, Dobbins, Gibson, Chase Brown, Abanikanda, Sean Tucker, Zach Evans
WR - Chase, Waddle, A. Cooper, JSN, J. Jeudy, Jameson Williams, Hutchinson
TE - Andrews, T. McBride, Schoonmaker
K- Butker
Def- Chiefs

Picks:
2024 2 1sts, 2 3rds
2025 2 3rds
2026 1st, 3rd

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:50 pm

mild wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 1:56 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 6:49 am I mean, they had him for 4 years and paid him solid FA money, knowing they'd likely cut Dalvin post June. I think it was 4th most money in FA, but in most years, like the last 4 or 5 it would have been 2nd most (for a RB) It's always possible they get a vet cheap, but most of these guys are holding out for THEIR price, not the team's price.

I'm not buying at his inflated price, nor do I have him, but I think their plan is that he's their guy, unless they get a team friendly deal for someone else.
I would push back on "Solid FA money". He got 2 years 3.5 million p/y, and the 1st year is a redo of his final rookie year - so he's basically just an interim option. Becomes a FA again in 2025.

Miles Sanders got 4 years at 6 million p/y - that's what a true commitment to an RB looks like in 2023. Mattison basically got interim money.
It's more money than a lot of teams spent. He's their top paid RB. 2025 is 2 years. That's a long time in the span of a RB. I think the plan is for Mattison to be their top back this year. Seems like it, anyways. Almost 6.5 guaranteed isn't nothing, it's more than they pay rookies. They could have let him walk, they didn't want to. Seems like they had a plan, and cutting Cook and keeping Mattison was likely it. We'll see how he does, but as for now, he's top dog in a potent offense.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

SoftwoodGrampian
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby SoftwoodGrampian » Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:15 am

Yes all signs point to opportunity.

What’s the best deal anyone has received for him?

Gazzerk
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Gazzerk » Wed Jun 21, 2023 12:03 pm

SoftwoodGrampian wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:15 am Yes all signs point to opportunity.

What’s the best deal anyone has received for him?
I was about to ask this same question. I’m fine holding onto him to help with my push but if he can fetch a decent 1st I think I’d have to jump on it. I sent offers of him for a 2025 1st from 2 different teams that will be absolute dumpster fires after this season. No responses yet as my league is in borderline hibernation.
QB - Mahomes
RB - Bijan, Swift, Najee, Dobbins, Gibson, Chase Brown, Abanikanda, Sean Tucker, Zach Evans
K- Butker
Def- Chiefs

Picks:
2024 2 1sts, 2 3rds
2025 2 3rds
2026 1st, 3rd

Shcritters
MVP
MVP

Postby Shcritters » Wed Jun 21, 2023 12:41 pm

I've inquired about late 1sts from some teams and haven't gotten a counter (meaning people likely value him as an early 2nd at best). If I could sell for any late 1st I'd insta-accept.
Gopher Two
PPR SF, WR & TE Premium (WR 1.2 PPR , TE 1.5 PPR), 10 total starters, 1 QB, 1SF, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex
QB: Mahomes, Prescott, Mayfield
RB: Hall, Pacheco, Jacobs, Connor, Chubb, Mattison
WR: Tyreek, AJ Brown, Flowers, CSutton, JJeudy, Slayton, Iosivas
TE: McBride, DSchultz, Musgrave, Kraft, MGesicki
2024: 1.02, 2.02
2022 and 2023 League Champ

SafeLeague #1 (12 team, SF, 2.0 PPR TE Prem). 10 total starters 1 QB, 1SF (QB/TE/RB/WR), 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex
QB: Purdy, Levis, DTR
RB: Pacheco + scrubs
WR: Downs, MMims, EMoore, Jeudy, MWilson + scrubs
TE: Hock, Kincaid, Pitts, Mayer + scrubs
2024: 1.01, 1.05, 1.11, 2.01, 2.02, 2.06,
2025: 2 1sts, 2 2nds

SafeLeague #2
QB: Purdy, Richardson, Hooker, Willis
RB: literal ZERO RB (for now)
WR: Mingo, MMims, Toney, Skyy, Iosivas
TE: LaPorta, Kincaid, McBride, Mayer, Musgrave, Schoonmaker (and a bunch more 2nd stringers)
2024: 1.01, 1.05, 1.06, 1.08, 1.09, 1.10, 2.01, 2.05, 2.06
2025: 1 1st, 1 2nd

SoftwoodGrampian
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby SoftwoodGrampian » Wed Jun 21, 2023 4:43 pm

I’ve only gotten offers of a single 2nd(and of course a single 3rd). Still waiting on the elusive two 2nds which I will probably accept. I just don’t think it’s going to happen until it is seen in action. Then at that point you won’t want to sell for whatever low ball they give you at the time;)

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Wed Jun 21, 2023 6:52 pm

Gazzerk wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:05 pm Last season there was chatter about Mattison being a trade target for RB needy teams but Minnesota didn’t want to move him. I can’t speak to the offers they may have gotten but if they didn’t value him then they likely would have moved him for any decent return. Then, this off-season, Mattison came out and openly said that he signed this deal with Minnesota with an understanding of what the plan was for him. That tells me they likely had a conversation with him to establish that they want to sign him to a slight discount compared to what he may get on the open market but that it would be his backfield. Will he succeed in that role? I have no clue but I think they will give him the chance to prove it or not.
I mean.. the Vikings had playoff aspirations and Cook has a long injury history. Even with no long term plan for Mattison, it made almost zero sense to trade him.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

Gazzerk
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Gazzerk » Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:54 am

ericanadian wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 6:52 pm
Gazzerk wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:05 pm Last season there was chatter about Mattison being a trade target for RB needy teams but Minnesota didn’t want to move him. I can’t speak to the offers they may have gotten but if they didn’t value him then they likely would have moved him for any decent return. Then, this off-season, Mattison came out and openly said that he signed this deal with Minnesota with an understanding of what the plan was for him. That tells me they likely had a conversation with him to establish that they want to sign him to a slight discount compared to what he may get on the open market but that it would be his backfield. Will he succeed in that role? I have no clue but I think they will give him the chance to prove it or not.
I mean.. the Vikings had playoff aspirations and Cook has a long injury history. Even with no long term plan for Mattison, it made almost zero sense to trade him.
I see your point. Part of what I’m getting at there is that if Mattison was just another backup then they would have moved him for any decent return they were offered. They have other backup RBs and if they saw him as just another backup then it would make sense to move him and let one of the other guys fill in if Cook goes down. They obviously value him pretty highly given all of the evidence.
QB - Mahomes
K- Butker
Def- Chiefs

Picks:
2024 2 1sts, 2 3rds
2025 2 3rds
2026 1st, 3rd

Needalife
Legend
Legend

Postby Needalife » Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:09 am

I was unable to buy Mattison for 2023 1.08 (single QB) and separately for 1.13 (SuperFlex). In another 16 team SF, I moved 2 x 3rds plus Elijah Moore plus a middling IDP for him.

In general, I think he’s a better option than 1.07 or later in SuperFlex. I’d personally much rather take a shot on Mattison producing ahead of QJ or Zay Flowers or Kendre and what not if I was contending.
14 TM / Devy / SuperFlex / TEP
1 Q / 2 RB / 2 WR / 1 TE / 1 SF / 3 F / 1 DT / 2 DE / 3 LB / 2 CB / 2 S / 1 F

QB: Jordan Love, Trevor Lawrence
RB: Zamir White, James Conner, Trey Benson, Jaylen Warren, Will Shipley
WR: Michael Pittman, Puka Nacua, Drake London, Christian Kirk, Josh Palmer
TE: Trey McBride, Jake Ferguson, Noah Gray
PK: Justin Tucker, Jason Myers
DT: Grover Stewart, Devonte Wyatt
DE: Alex Highsmith, Jonathan Cooper, Gregory Rousseau, Matt Judon, Baron Browning
LB: Fred Warner, Dre Greenlaw, Ernest Jones, Alex Anzalone, Jack Campbell
CB: L'Jarius Sneed, Deommodore Lenoir, Taron Johnson
S: Derwin James, Talanoa Hufanga, Kareem Jackson
DEVY: RB Nick Singleton PSU
2024 DEVY DEPLETED PICKS: 1.11, 1.13, 2.03, 2.05, 2.13, 3.01, 3.07, 3.10, 3.12, 4.03, 4.11, 4.15, 5.01, 5.02

Gazzerk
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Gazzerk » Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:41 am

Needalife wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:09 am I was unable to buy Mattison for 2023 1.08 (single QB) and separately for 1.13 (SuperFlex). In another 16 team SF, I moved 2 x 3rds plus Elijah Moore plus a middling IDP for him.

In general, I think he’s a better option than 1.07 or later in SuperFlex. I’d personally much rather take a shot on Mattison producing ahead of QJ or Zay Flowers or Kendre and what not if I was contending.
I’m surprised someone didn’t take the 1.08 for him but that’s probably because you can now put a face to that pick and the selections around that area are not as tempting I guess. I’m finding that most in my league seem to be hesitant and appear to want to see something happen before moving for him. If he comes out and has 1 or 2 decent weeks to start the year I will get flooded with offers. No clue how strong they will be but my league starts to get a lot more active when you suddenly need points on the board.
QB - Mahomes
K- Butker
Def- Chiefs

Picks:
2024 2 1sts, 2 3rds
2025 2 3rds
2026 1st, 3rd

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Thu Jun 22, 2023 4:45 pm

Reasonable Cold Water on the Alexander Mattison hype train. Avert your eyes, ye Mattison faithful...
Henry BEHIND Murray in 2017
📍39.7% Carry Percentage

Hunt BEHIND Chubb in 2020
📍40.0% Carry Percentage

Pollard BEHIND Elliott in 2021
📍31.7% Carry Percentage

Mattison BEHIND Cook in 2022
📍18.3% Carry Percentage

one of these is NOT like the others 🙄
He's never shown that he's a special back deserving of a bigger workload when compared to a true bellcow. This is squarely a volume play, not a talent one.

And, because of course he hasn't:
Alexander Mattison is heading into his 5th Season and has NEVER eclipsed…

📍8.0 Fantasy PPG
📍35.0% Carry Percentage
📍8.0% Target Share
📍1.20 Yards per Team Rush Attempt
📍0.50 Yards per Team Pass Attempt
I don't know why we're giving him any benefit of the doubt over incoming 1st round rookies. I'd definitely rather take the moonshot on QJ or Addison... probably even Charb and Zay.

He's literally played 4 seasons and proven about as much thus far.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:01 pm

All I'm saying is he's going to be there top back to start the year, most likely. The Vikings seem fine with that, for the short term. It is what it is. Not a huge fan of the guy, or anything, I have him nowhere.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 12:46 am

Yeah it's a volume play for Mattison if anything