(Stupid) rule was not adhered to - how to proceed?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Prison_Mike
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

(Stupid) rule was not adhered to - how to proceed?

Postby Prison_Mike » Tue May 16, 2023 9:34 am

Team 1 in signature

We have a rule in our league that is quite stupid, but it is in the bylaws.

The winner of the consolation bracket receives an additional pick in the rookie draft....1.13.
It's meant to keep teams active throughout the end of the year even if they are no longer in the playoffs. But it's certainly counterproductive as it means that a good team could have some bad luck and be rewarded with an early pick to improve their team even more.

In the midst of our rookie draft, we (the league as a whole) forgot about this rule. I just remembered it (now 3 weeks after the draft concluded).

There is added context that make this more complicated (or possibly just annoying lol).

- Firstly, I would be the beneficiary of this stupid rule, as I won the consolation bracket last year.

- We have this same rule in Team 2 of my signature. I started League 2 and am the commissioner. I used modified bylaws from a previous league with that rule in place, and I never abolished it. The two leagues are made up of roughly the same group of guys, with I think 3 exceptions. One of the guys from this league essentially copied the bylaws from League 2 and also did not remove it.

Not everyone in the league has chimed in yet. But those who have pretty much agree that we should just abolish the rule and that "us forgetting was just the fantasy gods telling us to go on without it because it's a stupid rule."

- Should I push to be compensated since it was indeed in the bylaws? If so, how? future 2nd/3rd?
- Just move on, chalk it up to being my own fault since I forgot?
- If we move on from it in this league, do we abolish it in the other league that has not yet held its rookie draft?
Team 1:
12-team | PPR | SuperFlex | 0.5-TEP
Start: 1QB/2RB/2WR/1TE/3FLX/1SF
QB: Herbert, Kyler, Baker, Jimmy G, Mariota, DTR
RB: Taylor, Saquon, Javonte, Conner, C.Evans, TDP
WR: Chase, Aiyuk, Olave, Diggs, Diontae, Hollywood, MT, Shaheed
TE: Engram, Woods, Kraft
'24 picks: 1.08, 3.05

Team 2:
12-Team | PPR | SuperFlex | 0.5-TEP
Start: QB/2RB/2WR/1TE/3FLX/1SF
QB: Mahomes, Allen, Russ
RB: Breece, JT, Swift, Javonte, Mostert, Zamir
WR: Chase, Aiyuk, Nico, Kupp, Hollywood, Kirk, MT
TE: Pitts, Njoku, Woods
'24 picks: 4.01

Team 3:
QB: Hurts, Dak, Stafford, Z.Wilson, DTR
RB: Saquon, Swift, Achane, Kamara, Ford
WR: Jefferson, AJB, ARSB, Nico, Diontae, OBJ
TE: Goedert, Njoku, Fant, Woods
'24 picks: 4.08, 4.12, 5.12

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Re: (Stupid) rule was not adhered to - how to proceed?

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue May 16, 2023 9:37 am

Prison_Mike wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 9:34 am Team 1 in signature

The winner of the consolation bracket receives an additional pick in the rookie draft....1.13.
It's meant to keep teams active throughout the end of the year even if they are no longer in the playoffs. But it's certainly counterproductive as it means that a good team could have some bad luck and be rewarded with an early pick to improve their team even more.

In the midst of our rookie draft, we (the league as a whole) forgot about this rule. I just remembered it (now 3 weeks after the draft concluded).

There is added context that make this more complicated (or possibly just annoying lol).

- Firstly, I would be the beneficiary of this stupid rule, as I won the consolation bracket last year.

- We have this same rule in Team 2 of my signature. I started League 2 and am the commissioner. I used modified bylaws from a previous league with that rule in place, and I never abolished it. The two leagues are made up of roughly the same group of guys, with I think 3 exceptions. One of the guys from this league essentially copied the bylaws from League 2 and also did not remove it.

Not everyone in the league has chimed in yet. But those who have pretty much agree that we should just abolish the rule and that "us forgetting was just the fantasy gods telling us to go on without it because it's a stupid rule."

- Should I push to be compensated since it was indeed in the bylaws? If so, how? future 2nd/3rd?
- If we move on from it in this league, do we abolish it in the other league that has not yet held its rookie draft?
Push for the 1.13 next year, and the person who wins it next year gets 1.14. Either that or vote to remove it, but can't just have it removed for 1 year. How can everyone including the commish forget about it? I'd say that's the Fantasy Gods telling you it may not be the most competitive/active league. :lol:
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Prison_Mike
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Prison_Mike » Tue May 16, 2023 9:46 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 9:37 am
Prison_Mike wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 9:34 am Team 1 in signature

Push for the 1.13 next year, and the person who wins it next year gets 1.14. Either that or vote to remove it, but can't just have it removed for 1 year. How can everyone including the commish forget about it? I'd say that's the Fantasy Gods telling you it may not be the most competitive/active league. :lol:
lol oddly enough, it's actually one of my more active leagues. I guess since there's obviously not a 1.13 slot on the draft board, everyone just went on business as usual. Also it only benefits one person, and is a net negative to everyone else in the league, so even if someone had remembered, there was no incentive for them to speak up mid-draft (outside of integrity I guess lol). That plus most managers had multiple rookie drafts going on, easy to lose track of a rare and arbitrary rule in one of them

I think if they vote to abolish it, it wouldn't be for just this year. It would be move on without it this year, and the rule just simply wouldn't exist going forward

ThunderTung
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ThunderTung » Tue May 16, 2023 9:51 am

idk, I think it makes it easier that you'd be the beneficiary. It does seem like a dumb rule. Easiest would be to just move on and abolish the rule. But if you wanted to make a stink about it I think you could probably push for the 1.13 next year like freak said. But I would abolish the rule after.

By the rules in your league, you are owed compensation. Re doing the draft wouldn't really make it fair. I think either accepting a pick next year or just abolish the rule and act like it never existed would be your only fair options.
12 man IDP 0.5 ppr

QB(1): Geno Smith
RB(2): ETN/Walker III
WR(2): Chase/Lamb
TE(1): Goedert
FLEX(2): Stevenson/Garrett Wilson
K: Mcpherson
DL(2): T. Walker/Vea
LB(2): D. Long/TJ Edwards
DB(2) Dugger/Moehrig
FLEX: Kenneth Murray
IR: J. Hicks/Milano/Marcus Jones
Bench:
QB: Mac Jones/Bryce Young
RB: Zeke/D. Harris
WR: N. Brown/Demario Douglas/Bobby Trees/Parker/Tyler Scott
TE: Bellinger/Schultz
DL: Barrett/J. Davis/Yannick/
LB: Milano/Edwards/K. Murray/J. Smith
DB: Mathieu/Jonothan Owens

YouMightDieTryin
MVP
MVP

Postby YouMightDieTryin » Tue May 16, 2023 9:54 am

We do the same thing, but the pick is at the end of the 2nd round. Much less of a prize to be won, but creates some incentive to keep trying.

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Tue May 16, 2023 10:01 am

YouMightDieTryin wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 9:54 am We do the same thing, but the pick is at the end of the 2nd round. Much less of a prize to be won, but creates some incentive to keep trying.
This.

We had a league that had the 1.13 rule, and everyone agreed to push it to the 2.13.

Prison_Mike
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Prison_Mike » Tue May 16, 2023 10:04 am

YouMightDieTryin wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 9:54 am We do the same thing, but the pick is at the end of the 2nd round. Much less of a prize to be won, but creates some incentive to keep trying.
Yep. What makes this even worse is there were discussions had about the rule a few months back in the league chat (toward the end of the season). The league agreed that if we’re going to keep the rule we should push it back to the 2.13, but that we’d keep it as is until the end of this year

Prison_Mike
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Prison_Mike » Tue May 16, 2023 10:06 am

ThunderTung wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 9:51 am idk, I think it makes it easier that you'd be the beneficiary. It does seem like a dumb rule. Easiest would be to just move on and abolish the rule. But if you wanted to make a stink about it I think you could probably push for the 1.13 next year like freak said. But I would abolish the rule after.

By the rules in your league, you are owed compensation. Re doing the draft wouldn't really make it fair. I think either accepting a pick next year or just abolish the rule and act like it never existed would be your only fair options.
Yeah, I agree it makes it easier that it’s on me. Much better than it ending up in the hands of someone who is completely unreasonable and would demand a redraft or some shite.

And it’s poetic justice since it’s kinda my fault the stupid rule is in existence in the first place (in this league)

Prison_Mike
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Prison_Mike » Tue May 16, 2023 10:11 am

I’ll probably just ask for the 2.13 next year as a compensatory pick and then vote to abolish the rule

The only hang ups I have are:

A) if we don’t abolish the rule in the other league I’ll be irritated. I know they’re different leagues and one shouldn’t affect the other. But it’ll leave a bad taste in my mouth if the “winner” in that league is properly compensated and I am not, given that the league is largely made up of the same people

B) it’s just kind of irritating seeing the guys jump into the chat and say “dumb rule anyways let’s just move on without it” knowing that they probably wouldn’t have that same energy if they were on the receiving end of the pick
Team 1:
12-team | PPR | SuperFlex | 0.5-TEP
Start: 1QB/2RB/2WR/1TE/3FLX/1SF
QB: Herbert, Kyler, Baker, Jimmy G, Mariota, DTR
RB: Taylor, Saquon, Javonte, Conner, C.Evans, TDP
WR: Chase, Aiyuk, Olave, Diggs, Diontae, Hollywood, MT, Shaheed
TE: Engram, Woods, Kraft
'24 picks: 1.08, 3.05

Team 2:
QB: Mahomes, Allen, Russ
RB: Breece, JT, Swift, Javonte, Mostert, Zamir
WR: Chase, Aiyuk, Nico, Kupp, Hollywood, Kirk, MT
TE: Pitts, Njoku, Woods
'24 picks: 4.01

Team 3:
QB: Hurts, Dak, Stafford, Z.Wilson, DTR
RB: Saquon, Swift, Achane, Kamara, Ford
WR: Jefferson, AJB, ARSB, Nico, Diontae, OBJ
TE: Goedert, Njoku, Fant, Woods
'24 picks: 4.08, 4.12, 5.12

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Tue May 16, 2023 10:25 am

I hate the rule, but it was a rule and the Comish dropped the ball. If the league wants the rule abolished, abolish it. I would either push that you get the 1.13 next year or you get the #1 waiver priority for the 1st wave of free agency this year. Gives you some value, but not enough to cause a stir
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Tue May 16, 2023 10:26 am

Prison_Mike wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 10:11 am I’ll probably just ask for the 2.13 next year as a compensatory pick and then vote to abolish the rule

A) if we don’t abolish the rule in the other league I’ll be irritated. I know they’re different leagues and one shouldn’t affect the other. But it’ll leave a bad taste in my mouth if the “winner” in that league is properly compensated and I am not, given that the league is largely made up of the same people

B) it’s just kind of irritating seeing the guys jump into the chat and say “dumb rule anyways let’s just move on without it” knowing that they probably wouldn’t have that same energy if they were on the receiving end of the pick
You let it happen Mike, shame on you is involved as well. You should have raised your hand when it happened, not now. Clearly you didn't have the same energy at the time either
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

meineymoe
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby meineymoe » Tue May 16, 2023 10:27 am

This error is squarely on the commish, and you need to be compensated. If you ho ahead and abolish the rule going forward, then a compensatory pick in 2024 is appropriate, 1.13 or 2.13.

As for the other league, follow the rule there.
You can vote to abolish it going forward.
-oo-
Both teams 16 tm 1/3 ppr idp
QB, RB, 2WR, TE, 2Flex, K, 2DL, 2LB, 2DB, 2 Flex

Phoenix Park Suns
QB - Hurts, Darnold, Minshew, Zappe, O'Connell
RB - Ekeler, Conner, Edwards, Strong, McLaughlin, Brooks, Prince
WR - Adams, Tyreek Hill, Deebo Samuel, Zay Jones, M. Thomas, Downs
TE - Goedert, Bellinger
PK - Sanders
DL - Garrett, Paye, Madubuike, Judon
LB - Franklin, Mosley, Edmunds, J. Davis, Bernard, Jack, Mapu, Vander Esch
DB - Metellus, Branch
2024 Picks: 1.14, 2.05 , 2.14, 3.05, 3.14, 6.14

Serenity Valley Browncoats
QB - RWilson, O'Connell, Lance, Darnold, Hooker, Stidham
RB - Stevenson, RWhite, Ford, Herbert, Hunt, CEH, McIntosh, Brooks
WR - Adams, Collins, Rice, GDavis, NBrown, Dortch, Tillman
TE - Higbee, Allen, Graham
PK - Fairbairn
DL - Madubuike, Paye, Ebukam, Will Anderson
LB - Kendricks, Pratt, DWhite, Holcombe, Baker, Alexander, TAndersen, Jack
DB - Blackmon, Brisker, Stingley
- 2024 Picks: 1.13, 3.13
-oo-

Prison_Mike
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Prison_Mike » Tue May 16, 2023 10:47 am

murphysxm wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 10:26 am
Prison_Mike wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 10:11 am I’ll probably just ask for the 2.13 next year as a compensatory pick and then vote to abolish the rule

You let it happen Mike, shame on you is involved as well. You should have raised your hand when it happened, not now. Clearly you didn't have the same energy at the time either
Of course, and I’m willing to just swallow it and move on. I’m talking about the energy of trying to take the compensation from someone else. If the roles were reversed, I’d be in favor of the “winner” being compensated for it, or at the very least would just stay out of the way and let the winner and commish figure it out, not trying to actively go against it

That wasn’t really a hang up, just speculation on my end on how they’d handle it if they get were in my position

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Tue May 16, 2023 10:49 am

Were there dementors at the draft? How'd you not have your head in it?

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Tue May 16, 2023 10:59 am

Given the perception of the class, I can’t see appetite for simply giving you 1.13 next year instead. There is definitely fault to go around that it was missed, but it’s in the bylaws. As part of withholding bylaws and not coming off as simply trying to push the pick to a better year, I’d request 2.13 next year and abolishment of the rule going forward. There should be an acknowledgement by the league that something was/is owed, and if it’s viewed as a stupid rule, then get rid of it moving forward.