Thoughts on a new way to determine draft order for teams who miss the playoffs

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
ThirdWW
Captain
Captain

Thoughts on a new way to determine draft order for teams who miss the playoffs

Postby ThirdWW » Tue May 16, 2023 3:52 am

Getting a league going this summer and came up with an interesting way to determine draft order for the bottoms teams. We run a toilet bowl, where the losing team moves on, but your opponent sets your lineup. This ensures optimal lineups are set and the true worst teams get the best picks. Also adds a fun element. If the team traded away their first, then whoever owns that would set the lineup for that teams opponent. To eliminate the possibility of a manger wanting to make a change and a team not making the change in time, I could allow owners to make the desired change public and I can go in and change it. I’ve done regular season record, consolation bracket and lottery before, but I feel like this could be the most fair. Let me know your thoughts and any hurdles I may be missing.

A vs B - A sets lineup for B and vice versa

A vs B but C owns the pick of B - A sets lineup for B and C sets lineup for A
Team One:
Year 12
12 team, .5 ppr
QB 2RB 3WR TE FLEX K DL LB DB

QB - CJ Stroud
RB - Tank Bigsby, Sean Tucker, Chris Rodriguez, cans
WR - Garrett Wilson, Drake London, JSN, Jahan Dotson, Demario Douglas, Elijah Moore
TE - Kyle Pitts, Cade Otton, Chig Okonkwo

2024 Picks: 1.1, 1.2, 1.9, 2.6, 2.10, 3.1, 3.2, 3.7, 4.1
2025 Picks: 1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 4

Team Two:
Year 2
12 team, .5 ppr, SF
QB SF 2RB 3WR TE 2FLEX K

QB - Joe Burrow, Kyler Murray, Daniel Jones
RB - Roschon Johnson, Kendre Miller, streaming
WR - Amon-Ra St. Brown, Chris Olave, Jaylen Waddle, Jordan Addison, Jahan Dotson, Demario Douglas, Elijah Moore, Wan’Dale Robinson
TE - Kyle Pitts, Trey McBride, Jake Ferguson, Chig

2024 Picks: 1.08, 1.12, 4.1, 4.11
2025 Picks 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 4

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: Thoughts on a new way to determine draft order for teams who miss the playoffs

Postby Lumps » Tue May 16, 2023 4:08 am

ThirdWW wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 3:52 am Getting a league going this summer and came up with an interesting way to determine draft order for the bottoms teams. We run a toilet bowl, where the losing team moves on, but your opponent sets your lineup. This ensures optimal lineups are set and the true worst teams get the best picks. Also adds a fun element. If the team traded away their first, then whoever owns that would set the lineup for that teams opponent. To eliminate the possibility of a manger wanting to make a change and a team not making the change in time, I could allow owners to make the desired change public and I can go in and change it. I’ve done regular season record, consolation bracket and lottery before, but I feel like this could be the most fair. Let me know your thoughts and any hurdles I may be missing.

My initial concern was alleviated by the letting other owners make picks when it's traded. As long as this isn't a devy league or some other variant that could lead to problems - in a devy one owner may own the rookie pick and another owns the devy - this seems interesting. It's a bit... convoluted... but if you are the commish and willing to do the work it's better than a toilet bowl as they currently stand.

I don't know if it's possible, but it may be simpler if it could be set up even on a separate site, to just go best ball for the toilet bowl portion. Though, it's more fun to make people set lineups and deal with their own repercussions. :lol: :lol:

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Re: Thoughts on a new way to determine draft order for teams who miss the playoffs

Postby Pac_Eddy » Tue May 16, 2023 4:17 am

I like it. It does remove the fear of not setting the best lineup. If you're not setting the non playoff team draft order by potential points, I think this is the next best idea.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

ThirdWW
Captain
Captain

Postby ThirdWW » Tue May 16, 2023 4:21 am

Lumps wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:08 am
ThirdWW wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 3:52 am Getting a league going this summer and came up with an interesting way to determine draft order for the bottoms teams. We run a toilet bowl, where the losing team moves on, but your opponent sets your lineup. This ensures optimal lineups are set and the true worst teams get the best picks. Also adds a fun element. If the team traded away their first, then whoever owns that would set the lineup for that teams opponent. To eliminate the possibility of a manger wanting to make a change and a team not making the change in time, I could allow owners to make the desired change public and I can go in and change it. I’ve done regular season record, consolation bracket and lottery before, but I feel like this could be the most fair. Let me know your thoughts and any hurdles I may be missing.

My initial concern was alleviated by the letting other owners make picks when it's traded. As long as this isn't a devy league or some other variant that could lead to problems - in a devy one owner may own the rookie pick and another owns the devy - this seems interesting. It's a bit... convoluted... but if you are the commish and willing to do the work it's better than a toilet bowl as they currently stand.

I don't know if it's possible, but it may be simpler if it could be set up even on a separate site, to just go best ball for the toilet bowl portion. Though, it's more fun to make people set lineups and deal with their own repercussions. :lol: :lol:
This was my thought as well. It’s friends league so there’s always bleep talk in our GroupMe chat. A fun way to keep owners engaged.
Team One:
Year 12
12 team, .5 ppr

QB - CJ Stroud
WR - Garrett Wilson, Drake London, JSN, Jahan Dotson, Demario Douglas, Elijah Moore

Team Two:
Year 2
12 team, .5 ppr, SF
QB SF 2RB 3WR TE 2FLEX K

WR - Amon-Ra St. Brown, Chris Olave, Jaylen Waddle, Jordan Addison, Jahan Dotson, Demario Douglas, Elijah Moore, Wan’Dale Robinson

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Wed May 17, 2023 11:37 pm

Gotta say, I"m going to copy the OP and present it to my league as a way to move off of the regular season worst record automatically getting the 1.01, and discourage tanking. I think this is a very creative twist, and takes away another layer where people looking to tank could do so.

"Try and suck for the 1.01? Fine. Someone else will be setting your lineup." If their team is actually pretty good, chances are it won't work.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Thu May 18, 2023 4:42 am

Shoreline Steamers wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 11:37 pm Gotta say, I"m going to copy the OP and present it to my league as a way to move off of the regular season worst record automatically getting the 1.01, and discourage tanking. I think this is a very creative twist, and takes away another layer where people looking to tank could do so.

"Try and suck for the 1.01? Fine. Someone else will be setting your lineup." If their team is actually pretty good, chances are it won't work.
Why do you not use potential points in that league? Is your league insisting on a non-playoff team bracket?

Yarnith
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Yarnith » Thu May 18, 2023 5:39 am

I think your simpler and better option is to make the toilet bowl bracket best ball games and forgo setting lineups entirely.
Cavaliers 12 team standard, 1QB, 1RB, 1WR, 2WR/TE, 1flex
QB: J. Allen, S. Howell, Z.Wilson
RB: A. Kamara, J. Taylor, CEH, K. Gainwell, P. Strong
WR: A.J. Brown, A. Cooper, J. Dotson, C. Ridley, E. Moore, W. Robinson, J. Meyers, T. Marshall,
TE: G. Kittle, J. Johnson, J. Woods, H. Henry
'23 1.10, 2.10, 3.10 '24 1, 2, 3
Recent Championships '19,'21,'22

Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends- 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex
QB: Mahomes, Purdy, Lance
RB: Pierce, Miller, K. Herbert, E. Hull
WR: Chase, Watson, Davis, JSN, Metchie, Pierce, V. Jefferson, Claypool, Thornton, Westbrook-Ikhine
TE: Pitts, Woods, Latu

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Thu May 18, 2023 5:42 am

Pac_Eddy wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 4:42 am
Shoreline Steamers wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 11:37 pm Gotta say, I"m going to copy the OP and present it to my league as a way to move off of the regular season worst record automatically getting the 1.01, and discourage tanking. I think this is a very creative twist, and takes away another layer where people looking to tank could do so.

Why do you not use potential points in that league? Is your league insisting on a non-playoff team bracket?
Potential Points for non Playoff teams is so easy and makes way too much sense for many.

It eliminates lineup issues, tracks weekly so even offsets trades to a degree and shows which teams have the best roster regardless of the coach.

Some other owner setting my lineups is insulting.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Thu May 18, 2023 6:37 am

Yarnith wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 5:39 am I think your simpler and better option is to make the toilet bowl bracket best ball games and forgo setting lineups entirely.
Great point. I changed my mind. If you aren't doing the potential points thing, this is the best way to have a losers bracket.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Thu May 18, 2023 8:22 am

Pac_Eddy wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 6:37 am
Yarnith wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 5:39 am I think your simpler and better option is to make the toilet bowl bracket best ball games and forgo setting lineups entirely.
Great point. I changed my mind. If you aren't doing the potential points thing, this is the best way to have a losers bracket.
Agree that option would also work and be fun for non playoff teams!
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Ruggenater
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Ruggenater » Thu May 18, 2023 12:49 pm

If your goal is to have the worst team get the 1.01, then the most fair way I see to feasibly do that is season long potential points.

This sounds like a potential entertainment-adder to the playoff weeks for non-playoff teams, but either proposed solution (opponents setting lineups or bestball scoring) runs the risk of week-to-week randomness resulting in a win and therefore a worse draft pick for the worse team.
12 Team Superflex - PPR, 0.25 PPC - QB/2RB/3WR/TE/Flex/Superflex
QB: L Jackson, Tagovailoa, Rodgers, Pickett, Tannehill
RB: Swift, Pacheco, Sanders, Hubbard, Spears, Dillon, Herbert, McLaughlin, Chandler, Dowdle
WR: DeVonta, Waddle, Aiyuk, Nacua, McLaurin, Hopkins, M Williams, Mingo, Wan’Dale, Hyatt
TE: Kelce, Okonkwo, Schoonmaker

grandmabetty
Captain
Captain

Postby grandmabetty » Thu May 18, 2023 7:49 pm

What the heck is the potential points setup?

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Thu May 18, 2023 8:07 pm

grandmabetty wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 7:49 pm What the heck is the potential points setup?
It's like Best Ball.

Whatever your highest scoring lineup possibility for the week was - is counted as your "Potential Points".

By using it to set reverse-standings Draft Order, you effectively eliminate tanking, and you reward the most "truly" weak roster.

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby killer_of_giants » Fri May 19, 2023 3:14 am

mild wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 8:07 pm
grandmabetty wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 7:49 pm What the heck is the potential points setup?
It's like Best Ball.

Whatever your highest scoring lineup possibility for the week was - is counted as your "Potential Points".

By using it to set reverse-standings Draft Order, you effectively eliminate tanking, and you reward the most "truly" weak roster.
it has its flaws (boom or bust players can screw you, it does not account for how good a manager is at setting his lineup) but it's the easier way to do it for the commissioner.

as for OP idea, yeah it seems fun, especially in a friends league, i'd give it a go and see how it shakes out.

ThirdWW
Captain
Captain

Postby ThirdWW » Fri May 19, 2023 3:55 am

Appreciate the feedback. I agree reverse max PF or best ball is technically more fair, but I think setting the lineups is adds a different element and could be fun. Allows owners to shoot themselves in the foot, just in a different way for those teams in the playoffs.
Team One:
Year 12
12 team, .5 ppr

QB - CJ Stroud

Team Two:
Year 2
12 team, .5 ppr, SF
QB SF 2RB 3WR TE 2FLEX K