What are people doing with Justin Fields, buying or selling?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
frerichs5
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: What are people doing with Justin Fields, buying or selling?

Postby frerichs5 » Wed May 31, 2023 11:42 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 11:25 am
Bronco Billy wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 10:38 am
A little more? That’s a 39% increase in pass attempts. If you’re looking at matching passing yards, given Fields’ comp pct compared to Jones’, Fields would have to throw 42% more passes. That’s a huge jump.
The percentage increase is only large because Fields didn't throw much. A 20% increase in passes for example would be an extra 4 attempts a game. A 39% increase is an extra 8 attempts. That's not difficult to do, especially when you consider that the Bears passed on a league low 43.81% of their offense. No team in the last 14 years has had a lower pass play percentage than last year's Bears team.

The Bears averaged 22.2 pass attempts last season. If they even added 8 attempts to that, they're still not even league average. Essentially, if the Bears even had a slightly below average to average NFL passing attempt offense, 200 yards/gm would not be difficult to obtain. It's only a "huge jump" because you're starting with a dirt low number, but in actuality it's just about regressing to normality.
And he had a league high scramble rate. If I recall correctly, they were 50/50 pass run, but the % drops because he scrambled so much (maybe due to the offensive help). But that was kind of my point, he passes more, the rushing goes down, and now he looks like Daniel Jones.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Wed May 31, 2023 11:50 am

frerichs5 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 11:42 am
A little more? That’s a 39% increase in pass attempts. If you’re looking at matching passing yards, given Fields’ comp pct compared to Jones’, Fields would have to throw 42% more passes. That’s a huge jump.
The percentage increase is only large because Fields didn't throw much. A 20% increase in passes for example would be an extra 4 attempts a game. A 39% increase is an extra 8 attempts. That's not difficult to do, especially when you consider that the Bears passed on a league low 43.81% of their offense. No team in the last 14 years has had a lower pass play percentage than last year's Bears team.

The Bears averaged 22.2 pass attempts last season. If they even added 8 attempts to that, they're still not even league average. Essentially, if the Bears even had a slightly below average to average NFL passing attempt offense, 200 yards/gm would not be difficult to obtain. It's only a "huge jump" because you're starting with a dirt low number, but in actuality it's just about regressing to normality.
And he had a league high scramble rate. If I recall correctly, they were 50/50 pass run, but the % drops because he scrambled so much (maybe due to the offensive help). But that was kind of my point, he passes more, the rushing goes down, and now he looks like Daniel Jones.
I could see this happening. Give Fields 3200 yards, which is a big increase. But decrease his rushing 400 or so yards and those stat lines are identical with Jones 22. This isnt an awful thing either, Jones was QB9, 7 points off of Fields.

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Wed May 31, 2023 11:55 am

The Bears lost 14 games last year. They were behind a LOT, in positive passing game script and they still weren’t letting Fields throw. Now you think they’ll turn loose his arm?

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Wed May 31, 2023 12:03 pm

Bronco Billy wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 11:55 am
The Bears lost 14 games last year. They were behind a LOT, in positive passing game script and they still weren’t letting Fields throw. Now you think they’ll turn loose his arm?
They traded for D.J. Moore and traded an early 2nd round pick for Chase Claypool last year. They also used their 1st round pick on a right tackle whose biggest strength is in pass blocking. Why would they do all of those things and continue to avoid passing the ball at a historically low rate? Everything they've done recently on offense indicates a team who wants to pass more.

It's basically a guarantee that the Bears will be passing more than they did last season and run more plays in general. It's damn near impossible to sustain numbers that low year-to-year.

You have to find out what you have in a player for better or worse, and they seem intent on making that happen.

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Wed May 31, 2023 12:22 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 12:03 pm
They traded for D.J. Moore and traded an early 2nd round pick for Chase Claypool last year. They also used their 1st round pick on a right tackle whose biggest strength is in pass blocking. Why would they do all of those things and continue to avoid passing the ball at a historically low rate? Everything they've done recently on offense indicates a team who wants to pass more.

It's basically a guarantee that the Bears will be passing more than they did last season and run more plays in general. It's damn near impossible to sustain numbers that low year-to-year.

You have to find out what you have in a player for better or worse, and they seem intent on making that happen.
Well, I will agree that they’ll pass more because it’s virtually impossible to conceive that they’d pass less given their generationally low passing last season. But unless Fields somehow shows great strides I cannot see them with the kind of increase that you’re speaking to. You say it’s just a few attempts a game like it’s no big deal, but 130 +/- more attempts in a season is a huge change in offensive philosophy and how much faith they’re putting in Fields’ arm.

wickerkat1212
Legend
Legend

Postby wickerkat1212 » Wed May 31, 2023 12:30 pm

Everything is pointing to them passing more—OL improvements so he has more time; better WRs who will hopefully get open, have less drops, and get deep (fast); better RB room. The math is very possible. If there are only FOUR more passes per game, that's 68 more attempts per year. Eight more would be 136 more. If the DEF is better, then the other team will be off the field more/sooner, so we have more reps per game as well. Everything is pointing towards more passing IMO.
D3:
QB—Allen, Pickett RB—Kamara, Jacobs, ZWhite, Edwards, Ford, Warren WR—Lamb, Olave, DJM, Puka, Tillman, Marshall, Jefferson, Robinson, Tucker TE—Ferguson, Schoon, Likely, Smith, Washington, Kraft PK—Prater DEF—BAL

D4:
QB—TLaw, JimmyG, Tannehill, AOC, Hall RB—Bijan, Kamara, Conner, Gainwell, Gainwell, Foreman, ZMoss, Chandler, McLaughlin, Murray WR—Jefferson, Hill, Adams, Allen, Tillman, Woods TE—Kelce, Kmet, Conklin PK—Butker DEF—PIT

Superflex 1:
QB—Mahomes, Rodgers, Mayfield RB—Bijan, Kamara, Allgeier, Singletary, Mostert, BRob, Warren, Rodriguez, Spiller WR—Chase, DJM, Devonta, MBrown, Myers, Reynold, Jones TE—Kmet, Likely, Kraft, Conklin, Hurst, Hudson PK—Elliott DEF—PHI

Superflex 2:
QB: Goff, Cousins, Wentz, White; RB: Bijan, BRob, ZWhite, Allgeier, McLaughlin WR: DJM, Higgins, JSN, Downs, RMoore, Atwell, SMoore, PCampbell, DPJ, ATP, Hutchinson, Iosivas, Devante, CJones TE: Ferguson, Kraft, Trautman, Tremble

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Wed May 31, 2023 12:40 pm

Bronco Billy wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 12:22 pm

Well, I will agree that they’ll pass more because it’s virtually impossible to conceive that they’d pass less given their generationally low passing last season. But unless Fields somehow shows great strides I cannot see them with the kind of increase that you’re speaking to. You say it’s just a few attempts a game like it’s no big deal, but 130 +/- more attempts in a season is a huge change in offensive philosophy and how much faith they’re putting in Fields’ arm.
It's only a big deal if you think Fields is a Tim Tebow-level of ineptitutde as a passer, and I don't think he's anywhere near that. I don't think asking a QB to pass at a below average to average NFL level is a big ask overall.

Like I said, Fields needs improvement, but a big part of the equation was also that there was nobody to throw to. They've upgraded everything about their offense on paper.

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Wed May 31, 2023 1:30 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 12:40 pm

It's only a big deal if you think Fields is a Tim Tebow-level of ineptitutde as a passer, and I don't think he's anywhere near that. I don't think asking a QB to pass at a below average to average NFL level is a big ask overall.

Like I said, Fields needs improvement, but a big part of the equation was also that there was nobody to throw to. They've upgraded everything about their offense on paper.
When I see a guy who has more pocket time than anyone else in the league who played 7 games or more and then still took 55 sacks, that is a massive red flag - and it ain’t his line causing that. That is a processing/decision making issue. If he can’t get the ball out of his hand a lot quicker all throwing more is going to do is result in a lot more sacks and turnovers.

wickerkat1212
Legend
Legend

Postby wickerkat1212 » Wed May 31, 2023 1:34 pm

Bronco Billy wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 1:30 pm

When I see a guy who has more pocket time than anyone else in the league who played 7 games or more and then still took 55 sacks, that is a massive red flag - and it ain’t his line causing that. That is a processing/decision making issue. If he can’t get the ball out of his hand a lot quicker all throwing more is going to do is result in a lot more sacks and turnovers.
Okay, I had to look up that stat, and you're right. BUT the difference between Fields and say Mahomes is .1 second. I mean, come on. LOL. It's not that Fields had five seconds and the rest of the NFL had 2. Also, sacks ARE often directly related to bad OL play. Processing/decision making time also is directly related to whether a WR/TE can GET OPEN OR NOT. Is it his fault if NOBODY IS OPEN 50% of the time? It's all connected. We can't put it all on Fields, or the OL, or the WR. It's EVERYTHING.

I will wager his sacks go down this year, probably a lot. I think his passing yards, tds, completions and hopefully percentages will also go up.
D3:
QB—Allen, Pickett RB—Kamara, Jacobs, ZWhite, Edwards, Ford, Warren WR—Lamb, Olave, DJM, Puka, Tillman, Marshall, Jefferson, Robinson, Tucker TE—Ferguson, Schoon, Likely, Smith, Washington, Kraft PK—Prater DEF—BAL

D4:
QB—TLaw, JimmyG, Tannehill, AOC, Hall RB—Bijan, Kamara, Conner, Gainwell, Gainwell, Foreman, ZMoss, Chandler, McLaughlin, Murray WR—Jefferson, Hill, Adams, Allen, Tillman, Woods TE—Kelce, Kmet, Conklin PK—Butker DEF—PIT

Superflex 1:
QB—Mahomes, Rodgers, Mayfield RB—Bijan, Kamara, Allgeier, Singletary, Mostert, BRob, Warren, Rodriguez, Spiller WR—Chase, DJM, Devonta, MBrown, Myers, Reynold, Jones TE—Kmet, Likely, Kraft, Conklin, Hurst, Hudson PK—Elliott DEF—PHI

Superflex 2:
QB: Goff, Cousins, Wentz, White; RB: Bijan, BRob, ZWhite, Allgeier, McLaughlin WR: DJM, Higgins, JSN, Downs, RMoore, Atwell, SMoore, PCampbell, DPJ, ATP, Hutchinson, Iosivas, Devante, CJones TE: Ferguson, Kraft, Trautman, Tremble

oneson9192
Role Player
Role Player

Postby oneson9192 » Wed May 31, 2023 1:56 pm

wickerkat1212 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 1:34 pm

Okay, I had to look up that stat, and you're right. BUT the difference between Fields and say Mahomes is .1 second. I mean, come on. LOL. It's not that Fields had five seconds and the rest of the NFL had 2. Also, sacks ARE often directly related to bad OL play. Processing/decision making time also is directly related to whether a WR/TE can GET OPEN OR NOT. Is it his fault if NOBODY IS OPEN 50% of the time? It's all connected. We can't put it all on Fields, or the OL, or the WR. It's EVERYTHING.

I will wager his sacks go down this year, probably a lot. I think his passing yards, tds, completions and hopefully percentages will also go up.
I also have a hard time imagining this stat does a good job handling different playstyles. In week 1, when both of the Bears tackles fold instantly, Solomon Thomas and Nick Bosa are in Fields' face immediately, and Fields does the near-impossible to evade both, spin away, sprint towards the opposite sideline and finally launch the ball to Pettis, does that count the same as the offensive line "giving" him 6.5 seconds to throw in a clean pocket? Unless they account for scramble-extended plays somehow, I would imagine time-to-throw stats vastly overrate the Bears 2022 offensive line. There's a reason 3/5 of them are unemployed now...
2021 Startup
Superflex – PPR - TE Premium (1.5 PPR) – 12 Team
1 QB, 3 WR, 2 RB, 1 TE, 1 SF, 1 Flex

QB: J Allen, J Fields, D Jones, W Levis, S Darnold
RB: B Hall, K Walker, T Etienne, R Johnson, D Foreman, J McLaughlin, E Demercado
WR: ARSB, G Wilson, DK Metcalf, B Aiyuk, T Higgins, C Godwin, J Williams, R Bateman
TE: K Pitts, D Goedert, L Musgrave
2024: 1.03, 2.03, 3.11
2025: 1-3-4-4-5

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed May 31, 2023 3:54 pm

murphysxm wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 10:44 am
oneson9192 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 10:43 am
Bronco Billy wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 10:40 am

Who is saying that?
Yeah I don't know who he's replying to here. I was about as clear as possible that I wasn't saying his college stats prove his NFL competence. Only that he was not primarily a runner in college.
Ones, I am blending threads. not a comment to you at all
People are saying JSN stinks in another thread? Which one?
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Mild sauce goes in the trash. Well done steak goes with it.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Wed May 31, 2023 4:10 pm

He's definitely not without faults. Like I said earlier, multiple things are true here at the same. Fields has to get better and he had poor overall offensive support. I think they both more or less had the same impact.

One of the issues has been improved upon, now it's up to Fields to show improvement.

wickerkat1212
Legend
Legend

Postby wickerkat1212 » Wed May 31, 2023 5:08 pm

Check this out. (Is there any way to imbed a Tweet/video?)

https://twitter.com/CEmma670/status/1664059806540259332
D3:

D4:

Superflex 1:

Superflex 2:

frerichs5
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby frerichs5 » Wed May 31, 2023 5:39 pm

wickerkat1212 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 5:08 pm Check this out. (Is there any way to imbed a Tweet/video?)

I was hoping this was something good. Lol

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed May 31, 2023 5:49 pm

frerichs5 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 5:39 pm
wickerkat1212 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 5:08 pm Check this out. (Is there any way to imbed a Tweet/video?)

I was hoping this was something good. Lol
Oh no. The slo mo flag football videos are starting already. Curious what I am supposed to be seeing? Is that hoodie he's wearing a new item or something?

I heard Jordan Mcnamara (sp?) making fun of these videos a few days ago. Was pretty funny. Get ready, because there will be plenty more, from the 31 other teams.

On the positive side though, it's good he didn't take a sack, there. :wink:
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Mild sauce goes in the trash. Well done steak goes with it.