Ring of Fame

Re: 1.02 aftershock in 1QB with quick drafts after that Gibbs pick

Postby Lumps » Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:01 pm

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Sat Jul 29, 2023 1:48 am

Man, it's one thing to read that the Lions outright preferred Gibbs to Bijan.

It's kind of shocking to actually hear them say it first hand. This is totally worth a watch to see these psychos chewing their nails in real-time "praying he will be there at 12". I couldn't help but laugh at seeing the leadup to their viral table-slapping moment, it makes it hit even funnier.

Notable lines from Holmes to the war-room:
- "He plays the position like a Wide Receiver"
- "I talked to Saban and he said it's an A+ in every category... this kid gets it"
- "The best open-space player in the draft"

Cool bit here too: Jahmyr Gibbs' NFL Combine interview with the Detroit Lions.

MacDaddy123
MVP
MVP

Postby MacDaddy123 » Sat Jul 29, 2023 5:07 am

mild wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 1:48 am Man, it's one thing to read that the Lions outright preferred Gibbs to Bijan.

It's kind of shocking to actually hear them say it first hand. This is totally worth a watch to see these psychos chewing their nails in real-time "praying he will be there at 12". I couldn't help but laugh at seeing the leadup to their viral table-slapping moment, it makes it hit even funnier.

- "I talked to Saban and he said it's an A+ in every category... this kid gets it"

GM speak, that's all.

Remember, the Eagles preferred Jalen Reagor over Justin Jefferson too.
Sold it to their fan base as Reagor can play any of the 3 WR positions, while Jefferson was only a slot receiver.
How'd that turn out? :lol:

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Sat Jul 29, 2023 6:49 am

MacDaddy123 wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 5:07 am
mild wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 1:48 am Man, it's one thing to read that the Lions outright preferred Gibbs to Bijan.

GM speak, that's all.

Sold it to their fan base as Reagor can play any of the 3 WR positions, while Jefferson was only a slot receiver.
Just because the Eagles made a mistake has exactly zero to do with the Lions viewpoint. It is obvious the Lions loved Gibbs. How much is obvious as well going with the 4th pick after Robinson.

The NFL isn't fantasy football. Gibbs is a highly explosive versatile player and the Lions have him locked up for 4 years at under 5 million per year with an option. It doesn't really surprise me they like him better due to his speed and the diversity in his game.

We won't know for sometime which player is really better. Most would agree in Fantasy, Robinson is the better pick. NFL wise both were highly sought after players.

Gibbs is probably closer to CMC as a comparison
Robinson is probably closer to Barkley as a comparison

Both are in elite company with their skill sets.

That was a great video. Very authentic! Thanks.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Sat Jul 29, 2023 7:34 am

Ice wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 6:49 am Just because the Eagles made a mistake has exactly zero to do with the Lions viewpoint. It is obvious the Lions loved Gibbs. How much is obvious as well going with the 4th pick after Robinson.

We won't know for sometime which player is really better. Most would agree in Fantasy, Robinson is the better pick. NFL wise both were highly sought after players.
It's one of those special days where I completely agree with Ice. We are aligned, well said. :D

NFL GM's spend 99% of the year outright lying to us, and playing their cards close to the vest.

The one time of the year that they *have* to speak up and tell the truth is the NFL draft - they tell us via who they take, and in how they then sell that decision to the fanbase/media in the wake of those decisions at their pressers. It's not a coincidence that the time you hear GM's be their -most- open and free-flowing is in their pressers immediately after the draft.

Call it coach speak if you like, but that's clearly his actual evaluation of Gibbs that he's telling the owner as he's taking him. That's him making sure -his boss- understands exactly why they're taking this guy with their highest pick: because he thinks he's the best "space" weapon in the draft.

That's a big call. Bijan and JSN are in this draft, too. They're clearly high as giraffe p-ssy on this guy.

MacDaddy123
MVP
MVP

Postby MacDaddy123 » Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:18 am

Ice wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 6:49 am
MacDaddy123 wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 5:07 am

GM speak, that's all.

Just because the Eagles made a mistake has exactly zero to do with the Lions viewpoint. It is obvious the Lions loved Gibbs. How much is obvious as well going with the 4th pick after Robinson.

The NFL isn't fantasy football. Gibbs is a highly explosive versatile player and the Lions have him locked up for 4 years at under 5 million per year with an option. It doesn't really surprise me they like him better due to his speed and the diversity in his game.

Gibbs is probably closer to CMC as a comparison
Robinson is probably closer to Barkley as a comparison

Both are in elite company with their skill sets.

That was a great video. Very authentic! Thanks.
Hardly like the Eagles are the only team to ever make a mistake in the draft.
Every NFL team has made many, many, many mistakes in the draft.

I felt like the Lions first 3 picks were all reaches, before they finally hit a value pick with Brian Branch.

It is not as if the Lions are immune from making mistakes in the draft.
Time will tell.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:03 am

Is this our Gibbs thread? I guess it is.

Man.

He's going to be really frickin' good.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:20 am

mild wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:03 am Is this our Gibbs thread? I guess it is.

Man.

He's going to be really frickin' good.
He is; I remember all the pundits berating the Lions draft but the reason they won that game was their first 4 draft picks played extremely well.

LaPorta looked awesome catching and his block freed up a TD. Campbell read a coverage perfectly and broke up a 1st down throw and the very next play Branch made a one handed interceptions going the other way and returned it for a pick 6.

Can't remember ever seeing 4 rookies, on the same team, in their first NFL game contribute so much.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:32 am

I loved the offense last night. ARSB, Laporta and Gibbs look like a solid trio for the future. Monty and hopefully Jamo will fill key roles also.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:34 am

Just one of those players you don't have to watch for long to see it. He's going to be really, really good. Just a matter of when.

cazzie33
All Pro
All Pro

Postby cazzie33 » Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:02 am

Kamara_Lite … everyone played down that comparison because Gibbs weighs less but elusiveness slipping out of tackles & getting into space quickly sure looked like 41 type weapon. Totally get it he won’t be goal line guy that Alvin is / was but other than that …

bcap88
Rookie
Rookie

Postby bcap88 » Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:11 am

What a disappointment in usage

You have Ben Johnson whistling all week about how they are going to use Gibbs in unique ways just to proceed to give him nine touches. No option routes out of the backfield, no mis matches, nothing. Instead they are throwing bubble screens to the skeleton of Marvin Jones, who also fumbled. You can’t tell me you couldn’t find those targets for Gibbs?. Lions jerked themselves off in the draft room over Gibbs being available and didn’t even use him. He was the best back on the field by a wide margin. Instead Detroit thought it was a good idea to let Montgomery run his way to a 2002 Eddie George stat line. At the end of the day the offense was stale, scored 14 points and were a brick hand Toney drop away from losing. Nothing game plan wise to be happy about especially after hearing all off season about this “explosive” offense
12 Team 1qb ppr 6 pt tds

QB:Mahomes,Stafford,
RB:Bijan,Gibbs,javonte Williams,Hubbard, Aaron jones,gainwell
WR:Higgins,London,aiyuk,Jsn
TE:Goedert,Fant
Taxi:Austin,pierce,Phillips,okonkwo,Washington,Jarrett,tucker, hooker

2025,2026 two first round picks in both years

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:55 am

bcap88 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:11 am What a disappointment in usage

You have Ben Johnson whistling all week about how they are going to use Gibbs in unique ways just to proceed to give him nine touches. No option routes out of the backfield, no mis matches, nothing. Instead they are throwing bubble screens to the skeleton of Marvin Jones, who also fumbled. You can’t tell me you couldn’t find those targets for Gibbs?. Lions jerked themselves off in the draft room over Gibbs being available and didn’t even use him. He was the best back on the field by a wide margin. Instead Detroit thought it was a good idea to let Montgomery run his way to a 2002 Eddie George stat line. At the end of the day the offense was stale, scored 14 points and were a brick hand Toney drop away from losing. Nothing game plan wise to be happy about especially after hearing all off season about this “explosive” offense
Sure, they only scored 14 against the Chiefs, but honestly it's week one for an offense that largely played almost none in the preseason. Goff even said himself prior to the game he was likely to be rusty. I think the offense showed glimpses of the upside we expect. It's just a matter of time here.

Also, when you play vs Mahommes your game plan is almost always going to be to pound the ball and control possession. Keep Mahommes on the sidelines where he can't get in a rhythm. Using Monty more this game makes a ton of sense and it's exactly what I would have done, so I don't really agree with your disappointment there.

IWantToDieNasty
Rookie
Rookie

Postby IWantToDieNasty » Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:06 am

Obviously didn't like the usage split last night, but Gibbs looked so good when he had the ball in his hands I'm really not worried about it. Just stoked to see he's clearly got juice in the league. Of the two plays that could have gone better: the trip on the cut back that looked like a TD doesn't bother me at all- no reason to believe that was anything other than simply losing his feet, and the missed hole on the counter run that people lost their minds about as evidence he has bad vision. I thought the latter was way overblown, that was a closing hole with two guys who had a chance to get him before he even got through it, nowhere near the "Trent Richardson missing a massive hole meme" flashback people tried to paint it as.

Campbell said before the game they were going to ease him in. He got a carry on the drive where they were trying to milk the clock to win the game and had a hell of a run. If we get to Week 6 and the split looks like this still, I'll start to worry. But for now I feel like we got a great proof of concept that he's gonna be a good one.
12 team, 1 QB, .5 PPR start 1 QB/1RB/1WR/1TE/5FLX

QB: Lamar, Cousins, Russ
RB: JT, Bijan, Gibbs, Kyren, Allgeier, Moss, Gus, Sean Tucker
WR: Aiyuk, Davante, Kupp, E Moore, Mims, Atwell, Iosavis
TE: Mandrews, Hockenson, Laporta, Waller, Bellinger

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Fri Sep 08, 2023 3:14 pm

#Lions coach Dan Campbell says Jahmyr Gibbs' low snap count against KC was by design. He wanted to let him get a glimpse of what the game looked like before unleashing him.

"He'll begin to get more touches now, so that was just the beginning last night."

https://twitter.com/nolanbianchi/status ... 3989840329