1.02 aftershock in 1QB with quick drafts after that Gibbs pick

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
johnnymozart
Role Player
Role Player

1.02 aftershock in 1QB with quick drafts after that Gibbs pick

Postby johnnymozart » Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:46 pm

How would you view the 1.02 in 1QB especially after Gibbs selection in Detroit. Our league begins drafting on Monday. If swift is still in Detroit after day2 and 3 do you think jsn in SEA is stronger at 1:02 at this point in time?

Anything that could happen quickly in round 2 that could really disrupt the top picks outside of a swift trade?
My team/Picks (14 Teamer- .5PPR) Start 1 QB, 2-3 RB, 2-3 WR, 1-2 TE
QB Lamar Jackson, Russ Wilson, Mills
RB A Gibson, Aaron Jones, Damien Harris, Penny IR, D.Pierce, Haskins
WR ARobinson, KAllen, Mike Evans, Sutton, Amon-Ra, TBoyd, GDavis, Dotson, Pierce
TE Mark Andrews, Goedert, LThomas
K Tucker
2023- No Picks
2024- 2, 2

Rebuild Sad Orphan 12 team .5PPR -- Start 1QB, 2-4 WR, 2-4 RB, 1-3 TE

QB. Tua, DJones (IR)
RB Bijan (R), Gibbs (R), J. Conner, TSpears (R), Demercado, J Mason, Z. White
WR Amon-Ra St Brown, Nico Collins, J. Reed (R), R. Shaheed, C.Tillman (R), Osborn, Terrace M, CSamuel, Pierce, Ross
TE Andrews, Ferguson, McBride, Ertz (IR)
DEF- Patriots, Vikings
2024 None
2025 2, 2, 2, 2, 3, 3, 3
2026 2, 3

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: 1.02 aftershock in 1QB with quick drafts after that Gibbs pick

Postby Lumps » Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:00 pm

Science this drama needs to stop. Nothing from tonight should change your opinion JSN or Gibbs from what you previously thought.

If anything Gibbs went far higher than many thought and should be a sign.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:27 pm

Lumps wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:00 pm Science this drama needs to stop. Nothing from tonight should change your opinion JSN or Gibbs from what you previously thought.

If anything Gibbs went far higher than many thought and should be a sign.
IMO the NFL draft should change your view on players, at least a bit. The fact both are top 20 players, I think you're right you should not change your stance on them if you were high on them, but we're not NFL scouts, nor should we have take lock. I don't think there was a sure fire 1.02 pick prior to the draft, so I think that landing spot and capital definitely play a part. The fact Gibbs went 12, means Swift should not factor into this at all, though, regardless if he's traded this year or not.

Gibbs is ahead of Swift on that depth chart as of now. I still see him as a Reggie Bush type player. He's not going to be a high carry back, but the fact he went 12 tells me he's definitely going to be involved, likely in the passing game, and you don't take a guy at 12 who isn't a lead back, to not manufacture touches for him in space, as that is his strength. Gibbs definitely went up a bit for me, as I thought he might be a day 2 pick.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Kurt G.O.A.T.
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Kurt G.O.A.T. » Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:57 pm

Gibbs all the way.

Swift is gone either this year or next. He's a non factor to Gibbs. Plus Goff made plenty of dump offs to Gurley and let him work his magic. Expect more of the same with Gibbs.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:02 pm

Kurt G.O.A.T. wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:57 pm Gibbs all the way.

Swift is gone either this year or next. He's a non factor to Gibbs. Plus Goff made plenty of dump offs to Gurley and let him work his magic. Expect more of the same with Gibbs.
He's young Reggie Bush, I've been saying it for a while, at least in terms of how he will be used. Bush's rookie year, 155 carries, but 88 receptions. Gibbs will be used as a pass catcher in the NFL, he won't get 10 carries a game, and it won't matter, if you play PPR.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:19 am

Draft capital shouldn’t be much of a factor in your rankings. 31 teams may view a player as a 2nd or 3rd rounder, but if one team sees them as an upper first rounder then that’s when they get drafted. Reaches happen in the NFL draft, and sometimes they are unwarranted. If a player drops well below their scouted draft capital then I pay close attention - that means every team sees something I don’t.

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby killer_of_giants » Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:24 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:27 pm and you don't take a guy at 12 who isn't a lead back, to not manufacture touches for him in space, as that is his strength.
it is the lions though...

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:25 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:19 am Draft capital shouldn’t be much of a factor in your rankings. 31 teams may view a player as a 2nd or 3rd rounder, but if one team sees them as an upper first rounder then that’s when they get drafted. Reaches happen in the NFL draft, and sometimes they are unwarranted. If a player drops well below their scouted draft capital then I pay close attention - that means every team sees something I don’t.
Correct. I think the better way to view draft capital is when players fall. That's telling you every team has decided that player isn't worth it until round 3/4 etc...

Levis for example. Many thought he was going top 10 but the NFL just told us, not tonight

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Postby tstafford » Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:31 am

To be clear - what do people mean when they say "draft capital"? The OP asked how DET selecting Gibbs and SEA selecting JSN impacts their dynasty rookie draft position. That's not really about "draft capital" it's about how the team they are going to impacts their near term prospects for fantasy production.

I agree that arguing that because a player was taken #12 or #22 (draft capital) we should expect X,Y, Z only goes so far. And the difference b/w those positions is nominal. However I think landing spot (NFL team) does factor in. How could it not? Example: The strongest arguments against Treylon Burks are all about the Titans.

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby killer_of_giants » Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:43 am

tstafford wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:31 am To be clear - what do people mean when they say "draft capital"? The OP asked how DET selecting Gibbs and SEA selecting JSN impacts their dynasty rookie draft position. That's not really about "draft capital" it's about how the team they are going to impacts their near term prospects for fantasy production.
landing spot AND draft capital. i wouldn't have bet on gibbs going before smith-njigba, and i thought there was a concrete chance he'd go round 2. now it is possible that it's a case of the lions reaching stupidly, but being 12th overall for a RB means something. meanwhile, last year we had 4 WR going top 12, and smith-njigba went 20th. those are things to be considered regardless of landing spot.

j4pac
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby j4pac » Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:02 am

tstafford wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:31 am To be clear - what do people mean when they say "draft capital"? The OP asked how DET selecting Gibbs and SEA selecting JSN impacts their dynasty rookie draft position. That's not really about "draft capital" it's about how the team they are going to impacts their near term prospects for fantasy production.

I agree that arguing that because a player was taken #12 or #22 (draft capital) we should expect X,Y, Z only goes so far. And the difference b/w those positions is nominal. However I think landing spot (NFL team) does factor in. How could it not? Example: The strongest arguments against Treylon Burks are all about the Titans.
This is not directly toward you but many posts. I think that Gibbs going in the teens is meaningful. Some thought he was better than Robinson as a prospect, so it’s not incredibly surprising he went that high. Also, the Lions had another pick in the 20s. They don’t draft him that early unless they fear he wouldn’t be available in the 20s.
SF, PPR, 12 team, 12 player dynasty

QB- Lawrence, Fields, Tannehill (max 2 keepers, 3 rostered)
RB- Bijan Robinson, T Pollard, Allgeier, Charbonnet, Achane, J Wilson, Kelley, K Williams
WR- Lamb, Jeudy, Hill, C Olave, A Pierce, Shaheed, Bourne
TE- Goedert, Musgrave

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Postby abloom » Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:06 am

No difference. I had Gibbs and jsn in the same tier before draft and same tier now. In a pure rebuild I'd go jsn, otherwise I'd be fine choosing between those two bases on need.
Team #1: 2nd place
12 team, 1 ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,2F,1D,1K

Q: Kyler, AR
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, chandler
W: Evans, Chase, Mooney, Collins, Dell, Pickens
T: Kelce, Goedert
D: nyj
K: Sanders

Team #2: back to back champion
12 team, 1ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,1SF,1F,1D,1K

Q: R Wilson, Murray, Watson
R: Swift, Walker, gus bus
W: Puka, Metcalf, Dell, Cooper, DJM, K Allen
T: Kelce, Pitts
K: Tucker
D: CLE

Team #3: back to back champion
14 team, SF, 1PPR (2PPR for TE), 1Q,2R,3W,1T,1SF,2F

Q: Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson, Heinicke, walker
R: Mostert, walker, a Jones, Wilson, Charb, Z White, McLaughlin, freeman, d Williams, Reynolds,
W: Waddle, A St Brown, K Allen, Cooper, Nuk, Juju
T: Kelce, Schultz, Thomas, Ferguson

Team #4 3rd
https://www49.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0004&O=01

Team #5 4th
https://www45.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =07&F=0009

Team #6 orphan
https://www46.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0013&O=07

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:07 am

j4pac wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:02 am

This is not directly toward you but many posts. I think that Gibbs going in the teens is meaningful. Some thought he was better than Robinson as a prospect, so it’s not incredibly surprising he went that high. Also, the Lions had another pick in the 20s. They don’t draft him that early unless they fear he wouldn’t be available in the 20s.
This. I understand what Billy is saying and it's 100% true. All you have to do, is look at the history of Raiders 1st round picks. :lol:

But a RB went #12, in a time period where they simply just don't even go in the 1st, and there were lots of rumors that more than a few team had Gibbs > Bijan. It was true.

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby killer_of_giants » Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:14 am

Lumps wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:07 am and there were lots of rumors that more than a few team had Gibbs > Bijan. It was true.
eh, we still don't know that.
also, the lions thinking (or being afraid) he wouldn't be there at #22 doesn't mean he actually wouldn't have. some rumours are just that.
meanwhile, the lions sit after the first round of the draft with a RB and a LB...

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:16 am

The Gibbs pick just seems weird to me. I know Swift isn't the same exact player, but DET didn't use him to his strengths much either. I wonder if they try to fit Gibbs into the square hole as well