Jordan Love: Superflex talk

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Jordan Love: Superflex talk

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Apr 16, 2023 2:46 pm

I think this conversation needs to be had.

He was a project QB who has sat behind Rodgers for 3 years. What do we expect? In a SF league, if he's top 32, he has value. Stable organization, lots of time to learn behind an all time great. Not a lot of proven weapons. What do we want/expect out of 2023?

Deadline for the 5th year option is May 1st, which I expect them to take on, if Rodgers is indeed gone by then. So it looks like a 2 year window. Thoughts?
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Re: Jordan Love: Superflex talk

Postby ericanadian » Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:17 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 2:46 pm I think this conversation needs to be had.

He was a project QB who has sat behind Rodgers for 3 years. What do we expect? In a SF league, if he's top 32, he has value. Stable organization, lots of time to learn behind an all time great. Not a lot of proven weapons. What do we want/expect out of 2023?

Deadline for the 5th year option is May 1st, which I expect them to take on, if Rodgers is indeed gone by then. So it looks like a 2 year window. Thoughts?
The team trying to tamp down expectations wasn’t a great look. He’s looked awful pretty much every time I’ve taken the effort to watch him play. Anything’s possible and the system could go pretty run heavy with their running backs, so he should have a solid situation to develop in.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:23 pm

He looked a little better last year, but overall it seems he's been awful as a pro. Win/win situation for Green Bay. If he's good, then they can reevaluate next year on a 5Y option and get a deal done.

If he's bad, they could be in position to get a top QB.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:40 pm

ericanadian wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:17 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 2:46 pm I think this conversation needs to be had.

The team trying to tamp down expectations wasn’t a great look. He’s looked awful pretty much every time I’ve taken the effort to watch him play. Anything’s possible and the system could go pretty run heavy with their running backs, so he should have a solid situation to develop in.
Well, thinking of this organization, and how stable it has been....is that reall a bad thing? Favre and Rodgers. I would think that perhaps they are just trying to preface their fan base to not expect HOF QB year 1? Other than Indy, that was more short lived, with Manning and Luck, I can't recall the next up in line scenario, so it seems rational for the coach to tell people to temper expectations a bit, no? It's a service to the kid, not a disservice IMO.

If they shot the speech about how good he is to the moon, (counter scenario)....what would it do/prove? Would people believe he's great because they say it, or would they be even more skeptical, and thus put more pressure on him?

They are trying to reduce media attention to the young man, and make people's expectations of his performance realistic after 30 years or so of stability.

We shall see, and lets not forget he has no veteran receiving weapons, it's not good, I agree, there.

I wouldn't normally start a post like this, but this franchise has had 2 QB'S over a 30 year period, and sat the last one for years as well, before starting. I think it's worth a chat about.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Sun Apr 16, 2023 4:06 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:40 pm If they shot the speech about how good he is to the moon, (counter scenario)....what would it do/prove? Would people believe he's great because they say it, or would they be even more skeptical, and thus put more pressure on him?
Can someone link me the "tamped down expectations" source? Just curious to read the team-speak. I'm here with the Freak though - it's nothing we should read into, nor does it have any tangible lean or correlation to Jordan Love succeeding. It's what any team in this position - coming off the back of an incredibly successful era and preparing to start anew - should and would say.

We should be all over any QB with a pulse in SF.

I know there's a lot of question marks around his supporting cast, but colour me impressed with the connection he appeared to have with Christian Watson when he stepped in for Rodgers against the Eagles on SNF. If you're a Watson owner this year, I think you should be excited - Love looked for him a LOT.

Here's every throw from that game. IMO, he put a lot of arm talent on display, and didn't back down against the NFC Champs. There's a layered throw over the middle in there around 2:32 that is a true thing of beauty; he attacks the middle of the field well and can squeeze throws into windows; and I like seeing that sort of varied pacing on throws in the intermediate game.

I like the arm strength, I like the organisational stability, I like the coaching, and I think he's had about the best case possible for being allowed to grow into being a pro. I like gambling on Jordan Love this offseason at a price that is nice... especially as any sort of throw-in to a bigger deal.

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Postby abloom » Sun Apr 16, 2023 4:10 pm

No one really knows what the expect. He could be a dud or he could be the next Aaron Rodgers.

We should be valuing him as a young starting QB with first round draft capital. I'm fine selling him, I'm fine buying him. All depends on situation and price.
Team #1: 2nd place
12 team, 1 ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,2F,1D,1K

Q: Kyler, AR
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, chandler
W: Evans, Chase, Mooney, Collins, Dell, Pickens
T: Kelce, Goedert
D: nyj
K: Sanders

Team #2: back to back champion
12 team, 1ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,1SF,1F,1D,1K

Q: R Wilson, Murray, Watson
R: Swift, Walker, gus bus
W: Puka, Metcalf, Dell, Cooper, DJM, K Allen
T: Kelce, Pitts
K: Tucker
D: CLE

Team #3: back to back champion
14 team, SF, 1PPR (2PPR for TE), 1Q,2R,3W,1T,1SF,2F

Q: Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson, Heinicke, walker
R: Mostert, walker, a Jones, Wilson, Charb, Z White, McLaughlin, freeman, d Williams, Reynolds,
W: Waddle, A St Brown, K Allen, Cooper, Nuk, Juju
T: Kelce, Schultz, Thomas, Ferguson

Team #4 3rd
https://www49.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0004&O=01

Team #5 4th
https://www45.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =07&F=0009

Team #6 orphan
https://www46.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0013&O=07

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Sun Apr 16, 2023 4:18 pm

mild wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 4:06 pmCan someone link me the "tamped down expectations" source?
Matt LaFleur- "I think we all have to kind of temper our expectations for him." Probably more like that from his presence at the league meeting.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Sun Apr 16, 2023 4:43 pm

Pullo Vision wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 4:18 pm
mild wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 4:06 pmCan someone link me the "tamped down expectations" source?
Matt LaFleur- "I think we all have to kind of temper our expectations for him." Probably more like that from his presence at the league meeting.
I see just as much excitement. It's a completely even-handed "say everything whilst saying nothing at all" coach quote.
"(Rodgers' impending trade) is what it is, and at the same time, we're excited about Jordan and how he's been able to progress as a quarterback, how he's matured as a man," Packers coach Matt LaFleur said Tuesday at the Annual League Meeting in Phoenix. "It's going to be a different role for him, certainly, and I think we all have to kind of temper our expectations for him. It's different when you're going into a game versus when you're starting a game. It's going to be a process, but it's gonna be exciting for him, for us.
No lies detected.

I'm excited to see him start some games finally.

remedy29
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby remedy29 » Sun Apr 16, 2023 4:46 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:23 pm He looked a little better last year, but overall it seems he's been awful as a pro. Win/win situation for Green Bay. If he's good, then they can reevaluate next year on a 5Y option and get a deal done.

Jordan Love 5th year option is due May 1st 2023. To enjoy that 5th year option, they need their decision now.
They should pick up his 5th year option, like every half decent QB drafted RD 1.

prinefan
All Pro
All Pro

Postby prinefan » Sun Apr 16, 2023 4:51 pm

abloom wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 4:10 pm No one really knows what the expect. He could be a dud or he could be the next Aaron Rodgers.

We should be valuing him as a young starting QB with first round draft capital. I'm fine selling him, I'm fine buying him. All depends on situation and price.
This for me. I do own him in my SF, but honestly like him. No matter what, sitting behind Rodgers for multiple years is only a plus. I've seen definite improvement.

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Sun Apr 16, 2023 4:54 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:40 pm
ericanadian wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:17 pm

Well, thinking of this organization, and how stable it has been....is that reall a bad thing? Favre and Rodgers. I would think that perhaps they are just trying to preface their fan base to not expect HOF QB year 1? Other than Indy, that was more short lived, with Manning and Luck, I can't recall the next up in line scenario, so it seems rational for the coach to tell people to temper expectations a bit, no? It's a service to the kid, not a disservice IMO.

If they shot the speech about how good he is to the moon, (counter scenario)....what would it do/prove? Would people believe he's great because they say it, or would they be even more skeptical, and thus put more pressure on him?

They are trying to reduce media attention to the young man, and make people's expectations of his performance realistic after 30 years or so of stability.

We shall see, and lets not forget he has no veteran receiving weapons, it's not good, I agree, there.

I wouldn't normally start a post like this, but this franchise has had 2 QB'S over a 30 year period, and sat the last one for years as well, before starting. I think it's worth a chat about.
I guess it was weird to me because I didn’t think anyone had any expectations of Love. I don’t think anyone was expecting HoFer quality from Love in year ten, much less year one.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sun Apr 16, 2023 4:55 pm

remedy29 wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 4:46 pm
Cameron Giles wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:23 pm He looked a little better last year, but overall it seems he's been awful as a pro. Win/win situation for Green Bay. If he's good, then they can reevaluate next year on a 5Y option and get a deal done.

Jordan Love 5th year option is due May 1st 2023. To enjoy that 5th year option, they need their decision now.
They should pick up his 5th year option, like every half decent QB drafted RD 1.
Yeah, that's what I'm saying. They pick it up now and they can delay a long-term commitment for another year. I think he's bad, but it's not the worst situation to be in if you accept the sunk cost.

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:02 pm

mild wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 4:43 pm
Pullo Vision wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 4:18 pm
I see just as much excitement. It's a completely even-handed "say everything whilst saying nothing at all" coach quote.
"(Rodgers' impending trade) is what it is, and at the same time, we're excited about Jordan and how he's been able to progress as a quarterback, how he's matured as a man," Packers coach Matt LaFleur said Tuesday at the Annual League Meeting in Phoenix. "It's going to be a different role for him, certainly, and I think we all have to kind of temper our expectations for him. It's different when you're going into a game versus when you're starting a game. It's going to be a process, but it's gonna be exciting for him, for us.
No lies detected.

I'm excited to see him start some games finally.
Yep, it's not a clear example, and the full statement contains both sides. Closest I could find, unless you consider the players' statements relevant.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:02 pm

remedy29 wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 4:46 pm

Yep, I stated this in my OP. It's essentially a 2 year window.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:28 am

I'd put his value around an late 1st / early 2nd right now. Right around Levis, Lance, and some of the older QBs like Russ/Geno