Kayshon Boutte, WR

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: Kayshon Boutte, WR

Postby Pullo Vision » Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:06 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:39 pm
murphysxm wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:27 pm Brian Kelly is not a coach I put any stock in when a player doesn't gel. He is a joke. Boutte is going to be high risk/reward, but I love his upside
I think that’s a credible line of thinking. I certainly am not a Brian Kelly fan either and feel that he is vastly overrated as a HC.

I also see Boutte as a high risk/high reward guy, but he’s one of the few in this draft who between physical attributes and apparent skills and talent has the potential to be an alpha WR. The downside is real though if the past year was not an anomaly.
I don't follow college football vert closely in season. Curious your thoughts here. The quote I posted above and this statement here have been the closest I could find questioning Kelly in LSU- "He sized up Kayshon Boutte, the star receiver and perhaps the most talented player on the roster, and didn't like what he saw. Kelly wanted to know why he wasn't fully engaged in practice. It didn't matter that he was recovering from season-ending ankle surgery or that he'd flirted with transferring. Kelly called him out, publicly questioning his commitment." We know Boutte wavered on returning to LSU for 2023. Would be interesting to know why he considered transferring last year.

In shallow roster or short lineup leagues (like start 2 WRs), I'm definitely up for gambling on Boutte's upside. In leagues with deep starting requirements, I'd be more wary.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:39 am

Pullo Vision wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:06 am
murphysxm wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:27 pm Brian Kelly is not a coach I put any stock in when a player doesn't gel. He is a joke. Boutte is going to be high risk/reward, but I love his upside
I think that’s a credible line of thinking. I certainly am not a Brian Kelly fan either and feel that he is vastly overrated as a HC.

I also see Boutte as a high risk/high reward guy, but he’s one of the few in this draft who between physical attributes and apparent skills and talent has the potential to be an alpha WR. The downside is real though if the past year was not an anomaly.
I don't follow college football vert closely in season. Curious your thoughts here.
Kelly has coached at Central Michigan, Miami and Notre Dame before LSU. He left each school abruptly (skipping bowl games) and not in the most professional way each time. Nobody misses him and he won games when he was at each stop. He is appears pretty selfish and has no loyalty.
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:22 am

murphysxm wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:39 am
Pullo Vision wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:06 am

I don't follow college football vert closely in season. Curious your thoughts here.
Kelly has coached at Central Michigan, Miami and Notre Dame before LSU. He left each school abruptly (skipping bowl games) and not in the most professional way each time. Nobody misses him and he won games when he was at each stop. He is appears pretty selfish and has no loyalty.
Agreed. The only reason I somewhat care is because it might affect his draft pedigree. Boutte was in a really good situation with Coach O. He was being groomed as that next great LSU receiver and then it all went to hell. Even then, Boutte turned it on towards the end of the season.

The talent and ability are there. He was rated just as highly as Addison and JSN coming into college football.

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:32 am

Well, that about covers Kelly. I see him as one of those guys whose first priority is himself and his career. Kids aren’t stupid and they see through that act pretty quickly. I’m wondering if that had something to do with Boutte last year - he got crosswise of Kelly’s self interests.

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:00 am

Thanks on Kelly.

I think he'll be available in mid 2nd for us. Rookie mocks projecting landing spots have him taken mid to late 2nd.

smbkrypt24
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby smbkrypt24 » Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:02 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:32 am Well, that about covers Kelly. I see him as one of those guys whose first priority is himself and his career. Kids aren’t stupid and they see through that act pretty quickly. I’m wondering if that had something to do with Boutte last year - he got crosswise of Kelly’s self interests.
He could have watched that recruitment video from Kelly and thought he is a clown. I know I thought that. On top of coming into the football season recovering from ankle surgery and Kelly calling him out for it. That would turn me off of him real quick if I was Boutte. I am just hopeful his ankle fully recovers. If so, I think he is a really good NFL player.
12 Team PPR Dynasty. Start 1 QB, 1 RB, 1 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex (RB/WR/TE), 1 K, 1 D, 21 roster spots.

2013 Startup
Team 1- 3rd in 2023
QB: Herbert, B. Purdy, Fields
RB: Bijan, Barkley, Akers, Dobbins
WR: T. Hill, D. Johnson, JSN, Doubs, Meyers, Thomas, Toney
TE: Andrews, Likely, Dulcic

2024: 1.01, 1.07
2025: 1, 2, 2

2019 Startup
Team 2- 4th in 2023
QB: Murray, Cousins, Wilson
RB: Bijan, Kamara, Dobbins, Rodriguez
WR: Chase, G. Wilson, D. Adams, Di. Johnson, M. Wilson, W. Robinson, R. Rice
TE: McBride, Pitts, Kmet, Likely

2024: 1.01, 1.06, 1.08, 2.09
2025: 1, 1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 2, 2, 3, 3

2021 Startup
Team 3- 11th in 2023
QB: Goff, Watson, Cousins, Levis, Rodgers, Young
RB: Gibbs, Pacheco, Dobbins
WR: Chase, J. Jefferson, JSN, Palmer, Mooney, Tillman
TE: Schultz, Pitts, Likely, Okonkwo

2024: 1.01, 1.02, 1.03, 1.04, 2.03, 2.06, 2.07, 2.10, 3.03, 3.06, 3.08
2025: 1, 2, 3

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:43 am

Pullo Vision wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:00 am Thanks on Kelly.

I think he'll be available in mid 2nd for us. Rookie mocks projecting landing spots have him taken mid to late 2nd.
I think Boutte goes higher. I can see him having a very good combine. I still think there's a chance he's in the first round of rookie drafts. I have him 2.01 right now.

If he's going late 2nd, it's because his draft pedigree was a lot worse than expected and he did nothing to entice anyone.

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:58 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:43 am

I think Boutte goes higher. I can see him having a very good combine. I still think there's a chance he's in the first round of rookie drafts. I have him 2.01 right now.

If he's going late 2nd, it's because his draft pedigree was a lot worse than expected and he did nothing to entice anyone.
Last mock I saw was 3rd round to Denver. Day two ain't bad.

Guess I gotta track down that Kelly recruitment video.

dondickenson
Starter
Starter

Postby dondickenson » Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:03 am

Similar vibes to Pickens for me. Different play style but Pickens was WR1 in devy out of the 2022 WRs for some time, and then fell off the map with injury, lack of production, and behavior issues. He eventually went 52 overall to PIT and showed he should have really been closer to the Dotson(pick 16) and Burks(pick 18) range. Imo Boutte is the most likely candidate to fit that mold this season.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:03 am

Pullo Vision wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:58 am
Cameron Giles wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:43 am

Last mock I saw was 3rd round to Denver. Day two ain't bad.

Guess I gotta track down that Kelly recruitment video.
A 3rd Round Grade I could get behind. If it's 4th/5th, then I'm not as confident.

wickerkat1212
Legend
Legend

Postby wickerkat1212 » Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:39 am

I'm avoiding him entirely. I only have the 1.05 no other 1sts and my 2nds are late, so he won't be there for me.
D3:
QB—Allen, Pickett RB—Kamara, Jacobs, ZWhite, Edwards, Ford, Warren WR—Lamb, Olave, DJM, Puka, Tillman, Marshall, Jefferson, Robinson, Tucker TE—Ferguson, Schoon, Likely, Smith, Washington, Kraft PK—Prater DEF—BAL

D4:
QB—TLaw, JimmyG, Tannehill, AOC, Hall RB—Bijan, Kamara, Conner, Gainwell, Gainwell, Foreman, ZMoss, Chandler, McLaughlin, Murray WR—Jefferson, Hill, Adams, Allen, Tillman, Woods TE—Kelce, Kmet, Conklin PK—Butker DEF—PIT

Superflex 1:
QB—Mahomes, Rodgers, Mayfield RB—Bijan, Kamara, Allgeier, Singletary, Mostert, BRob, Warren, Rodriguez, Spiller WR—Chase, DJM, Devonta, MBrown, Myers, Reynold, Jones TE—Kmet, Likely, Kraft, Conklin, Hurst, Hudson PK—Elliott DEF—PHI

Superflex 2:
QB: Goff, Cousins, Wentz, White; RB: Bijan, BRob, ZWhite, Allgeier, McLaughlin WR: DJM, Higgins, JSN, Downs, RMoore, Atwell, SMoore, PCampbell, DPJ, ATP, Hutchinson, Iosivas, Devante, CJones TE: Ferguson, Kraft, Trautman, Tremble

MacDaddy123
MVP
MVP

Postby MacDaddy123 » Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:27 pm

Bronco Billy wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:22 am Absolutely one of three guys I’ve got targeted right now with my 1.10 pick. That could change but I doubt it
Agree 100%.

Boutte is my top target at the 1.10, but I have a feeling that he will not make it to me. 12 team SF league.
I know the guy at 1.09 said last year that Boutte was the only player in the 2023 draft class that he was aware of, and that he really like what he saw in him.

12 months ago, Bijan, JSN, and Boutte were the 3 biggest names in this draft class.
I am hoping that I can land all three with picks 1.01, 1.05, and 1.10 in my 12 team SF TEP league.

YouMightDieTryin
MVP
MVP

Postby YouMightDieTryin » Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:22 pm

He definitely has shown some odd character issues, but the excuses seem warranted given the information we have about Kelly. What happens when he gets drafted somewhere he doesn't approve of? He's a value buy at 1.10, but does come with a risk that Flowers/Downs don't. His athletic upside compared to them could make up the difference, but it's a tough call. Hopefully he interviews well or just goes to BAL/NE so I can be done sitting on the fence one way or another.

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:47 pm

YouMightDieTryin wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:22 pm He definitely has shown some odd character issues, but the excuses seem warranted given the information we have about Kelly. What happens when he gets drafted somewhere he doesn't approve of? He's a value buy at 1.10, but does come with a risk that Flowers/Downs don't. His athletic upside compared to them could make up the difference, but it's a tough call. Hopefully he interviews well or just goes to BAL/NE so I can be done sitting on the fence one way or another.
From that angle, coaching staffs (and changes throughout his career) would make him landing spot dependent. Goes to Ice's comment about handling adversity/pressure.

I could imagine him wanting to show out his last year (especially after the ankle injury stole his sophomore year) and being upset with the usage.

stoneghost28
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby stoneghost28 » Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:46 pm

halfbaked88 wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:25 am He's got the talent, but smart thing to do is let NFL draft capital determine who to draft over him. If Downs/Flowers/Hyatt/anybody gets 1st round DC and Boutte goes mid 2nd or worse then it's a no brainer. Always take the 1st round WR over value talent that falls.
I don't know, I think you need to engage in more details than that (though I understand that draft capital is a HUGE tiebreaker), but, lets be straight, I pulled the trigger last year on Pickens over every single WR not named Drake, Garrett, and Jameson, and I actually don't think I was nearly aggressive enough on Pickens. The only exception for me was Olave in one league because I had no shares of Olave, and wanted to mitigate some of the risk I was indulging in.

Boutte is very much reminiscent of those value picks like Pickens where you just collect the value other people let slip through their fingers. The concern is there, and w/some guys like this w/red flags, it does go full Martavis Bryant or Justin Blackmon scenario. The risk to me is baked into Boutte at this point as a late first rounder. As long as he goes in the top 60 or so, he deserves first round draft capital, if he slips to round 3 and below you get worried, day 3 and there is a Hakeem Butler alert that should go off in your head.

But for now pre draft capital, I'm going w/his potential. Im not rolling the dice on that with a top 5 pick, but in the back end of round 1, it's fine, for now.

More information can change minds on this, of course. If we'd all known why some teams had Justin Blackmon on their Do Not Draft lists we wouldn't have taken him either, if it ends up being a scenario like that, we'll all get up and walk away from such an investment.