And then there’s this twist on the SB matchup

Politics, world events, under-water basket weaving, everything goes in this forum. Please keep it respectful at all times.
Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

And then there’s this twist on the SB matchup

Postby Bronco Billy » Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:54 am

The AP can’t help itself and almost immediately jumps into the arena of identity politics with the SB matchup.
Black quarterbacks have come a long way in the NFL since Fritz Pollard became the first to play in the league in 1923 and Doug Williams was the first to start and win a Super Bowl following the 1987 season.

Now, Patrick Mahomes and Jalen Hurts will be the first Black QBs to face off in a Super Bowl.
I saw this and it made me wonder - does anyone see these guys as black QBs instead of just QBs?

If this isn’t appropriate for this MB please remove it with my apologies. I guess I don’t look at any players through a racial spectrum and was curious if anyone else does or knows someone who does?

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: And then there’s this twist on the SB matchup

Postby killer_of_giants » Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:59 am

not as black as tannedhill

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:06 am

Seems relevant to point that out given the history the nfl along with all levels of football of all ages that had a hand in suppressing black people from playing the quarterback position.

YouMightDieTryin
MVP
MVP

Postby YouMightDieTryin » Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:10 am

I mean the term used could be "Multiracial", but that doesn't fit the narrative as well so we'll hammer it in.

It is fairly impressive to have 57 years and this matchup not happen before. So in that I applaud the results. The two best teams are meeting for the Super Bowl. /end.

Forza_Azzurri
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Forza_Azzurri » Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:13 am

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:06 am Seems relevant to point that out given the history the nfl along with all levels of football of all ages that had a hand in suppressing black people from playing the quarterback position.
Which is no longer a problem ... Todd Bowles nailed when he said injecting race into this in counterproductive.

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:19 am

Forza_Azzurri wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:13 am
Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:06 am Seems relevant to point that out given the history the nfl along with all levels of football of all ages that had a hand in suppressing black people from playing the quarterback position.
Which is no longer a problem ... Todd Bowles nailed when he said injecting race into this in counterproductive.
You’re right, mb. Racism doesn’t exist anymore and we should never talk about it ever again. Valuable lesson learned for me today.

Forza_Azzurri
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Forza_Azzurri » Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:27 am

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:19 am
You’re right, mb. Racism doesn’t exist anymore and we should never talk about it ever again. Valuable lesson learned for me today.
Way to completely take my comments out of context. The story should be about Mahomes taking his next step towards being an all-time great or Hurts' development into an elite QB when no one gave him much of a chance ... but you're right. Let's focus on their skin color. That doesn't demean their accomplishments at all.

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:33 am

No rational person thinks that is true. Racism did exist in the past. No one is discounting that. It exists now with some people of all races. But is it an issue now with any kind of meaningful number of people and does race of a QB matter in how we view today’s players?

Honestly, I literally could not name all black QBs right now because I don’t think in terms of race when considering the position. Do you watch a player make a play and think “He only did that because he’s black” or “He can’t do that because he’s black”?

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:49 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:33 am

No rational person thinks that is true. Racism did exist in the past. No one is discounting that. It exists now with some people of all races. But is it an issue now with any kind of meaningful number of people and does race of a QB matter in how we view today’s players?

Honestly, I literally could not name all black QBs right now because I don’t think in terms of race when considering the position. Do you watch a player make a play and think “He only did that because he’s black” or “He can’t do that because he’s black”?
I have no idea what you’re talking about. It’s mentioned because of the historical context, and yes it’s worth mentioning imo. It’s that simple.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:59 am

Forza_Azzurri wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:27 am

Way to completely take my comments out of context. The story should be about Mahomes taking his next step towards being an all-time great or Hurts' development into an elite QB when no one gave him much of a chance ... but you're right. Let's focus on their skin color. That doesn't demean their accomplishments at all.
Stop making sense or you will get a reputation around here.

I wonder who will stand up for Mahomes wife and mother in this new age skin color world?

The other point is many in the press are just massive idiots looking for click bait.

I wonder if Mahomes identifies as a black man or just a man? Hmmmm.

Todd Bowles had a point.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Oddball456
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Oddball456 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:06 am

Who cares about the QBs? What about the mothers!

"Donna Kelce becomes first mother to have two sons play against each other in the Super Bowl" https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/30/sport/do ... index.html

dondickenson
Starter
Starter

Postby dondickenson » Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:18 am

Some people think if you don't inject race into everything and don't see everything through the lens of race, then you are a racist.
Some people think if you do inject race into everything and do see everything through the lens of race, then you are a racist.
Imo neither is 100% correct, but the latter is closer to the truth.

dondickenson
Starter
Starter

Postby dondickenson » Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:20 am

Ice wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:59 am

Stop making sense or you will get a reputation around here.

I wonder who will stand up for Mahomes wife and mother in this new age skin color world?

The other point is many in the press are just massive idiots looking for click bait.

I wonder if Mahomes identifies as a black man or just a man? Hmmmm.

Todd Bowles had a point.
Making sense can invite a lot of antagonism on these boards.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:20 am

Well said. It's 100% relevant.

Even though we as adults don't view NFL players and athletes as heroes and role models, there will absolutely be black children and teens who do idolize these players and will draw motivation from seeing Mahomes and Hurts as black men and leaders competing for a Super Bowl and draw motivation from it in some way. Hell, there will be plenty of adults who are just happy to see two black men succeeding at a high level.

It's irrelevant if someone of another race sees them as QBs first or black QBs first. They either will not be inspired, or have a complete understanding of the things it took to get to this level that black people have to deal with regularly.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:26 am

If people want to look at what it means to and from the perspective of a historically marginalized race and culture, then we absolutely have that right. It doesn't prevent you from looking at it strictly through a football lens.

The story you want it to be about doesn't have to be the story everyone talks about.