And then there’s this twist on the SB matchup

Politics, world events, under-water basket weaving, everything goes in this forum. Please keep it respectful at all times.
Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: And then there’s this twist on the SB matchup

Postby Bronco Billy » Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:44 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:31 pm
Forza_Azzurri wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:21 pm
Cameron Giles wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:16 pm

But again, why does it bother you that people who can relate and identify with black athletes choose to do so? Why is it a disservice for a community to celebrate their own?

It's not preventing you from discussing the Super Bowl in the way you want to. There's plenty of discussion about the general football legacy of Mahomes. People are acting like they're being strapped to a chair and forced to hear about a specific angle.
It doesn't bother me if people want to view it that way. I'm critical that it was the first angle that the national media brought up. I believe it is a huge disservice to both Mahomes' & Hurts' accomplishments that the first instinct is to focus on their race.
Why do you think it was the first angle they brought up based on a single article from the AP?

I'm just trying to figure out what the point of this thread actually is.
The point of the thread is that the AP’s lead story was that this was the first matchup of 2 black QBs in the SB and wondering how others felt that the race/identity angle was what the AP was initially pursuing. The reason being that it never occurred to me to connect the race of the QBs to the event - in fact I never even thought about the race of either guy until the AP reported on it.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:56 pm

Bronco Billy wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:44 pm
The point of the thread is that the AP’s lead story was that this was the first matchup of 2 black QBs in the SB and wondering how others felt that the race/identity angle was what the AP was initially pursuing. The reason being that it never occurred to me to connect the race of the QBs to the event - in fact I never even thought about the race of either guy until the AP reported on it.
Where are you guys getting that this is the lead story? It's not even the first article they posted on the game.

If you don't think about the fact that they are both black then cool, but there is a relevant segment of people who do and are even more interested in the game because of it. It's 1 SB article out of hundreds that may not be for people who just want to talk about sports.

cazzie33
All Pro
All Pro

Postby cazzie33 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:13 pm

Tvols wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:10 am Love thy neighbor as thy self!
I'm from MEESHIGAN and neighbor to OHILOW ...we don't like them & they don't like us 😡

That's just us being idiot fans though.

cazzie33
All Pro
All Pro

Postby cazzie33 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:31 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:56 pm
Where are you guys getting that this is the lead story? It's not even the first article they posted on the game.

If you don't think about the fact that they are both black then cool, but there is a relevant segment of people who do and are even more interested in the game because of it. It's 1 SB article out of hundreds that may not be for people who just want to talk about sports.
Was going to say the same as CG ... If you are wanting to make this THEE issue of the game then YOU have an agenda.
If you cant let it go as just an observance of fact & a source of pride for the black community that's on you. Sure plenty of people who have an issue with race relations will use it for their own purposes. Try to be better than that on both sides.

We're not requiring you to focus on this fact if it's not relevant for you. We're not mandating CRITICAL QUATERBACK THEORY classes for you.

Substitute WOMAN for BLACK ... Would you be upset if the first time two women were starting QBs (or Presidential candidates) in a Super Bowl they wrote an article or did a piece on TV about it ? For women it would be a major source of pride . Men ??? Meh, not so much. And that's fine that men wouldn't celebrate in the same way. Same thing here.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:03 pm

Point Missed yet again:

The real reality is this will be the 4th time of many a Black QB has won the SB in this obvious age of enlightenment.

That said, the media and politicians will play the race card no matter what so no one looks at the reality of so many failed political policies.

It's not that it was the 1st or 10th story. The actual question is why is it even story in today's world. It's okay that it is but it's a simple footnote type story to many that simply look beyond race.

Here is an actual fact. 35 Years ago today, I watch Doug Williams win the SB 42-10 over the Denver Broncos. He played Great and we were proud.

That was an actual news story celebrated by many!
Last edited by Ice on Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

meineymoe
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby meineymoe » Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:05 pm

Since this thread isn't closed yet, let's make it an educational opportunity. I have a question.

On facebook, I just saw a meme that made me initially laugh, but then I got wondering if there was a microagression happening here. The meme is only borderline clever. I will describe it here.

There is a picture of the Kelce brothers together, and below that are pictures of Hurts and Mahomes.
Above the pics is the caption "The first pair of brothers to play each other in the Super Bowl & also Travis and Jason Kelce."

Lame humor, yes. But is refering to 2 black men as brothers for the purpose of a punchline kosher?
Prefer serious answers, if warranted. I don't know the answer.

-oo-

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:12 pm

meineymoe wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:05 pm Since this thread isn't closed yet, let's make it an educational opportunity. I have a question.

On facebook, I just saw a meme that made me initially laugh, but then I got wondering if there was a microagression happening here. The meme is only borderline clever. I will describe it here.

There is a picture of the Kelce brothers together, and below that are pictures of Hurts and Mahomes.
Above the pics is the caption "The first pair of brothers to play each other in the Super Bowl & also Travis and Jason Kelce."

Lame humor, yes. But is refering to 2 black men as brothers for the purpose of a punchline kosher?

-oo-
Serious Answer:
Comedy is lost in the world of woke and it will gaslight offend many just like this comment as people try to dissect and fit the meaning into their narrative.

It wasn't that funny IMO but not a serious comment to begin with.

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:13 pm

meineymoe wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:05 pm Since this thread isn't closed yet, let's make it an educational opportunity. I have a question.

-oo-
Speaking as a Black man, as with many things, I'd say it depends.

If I'm at the bar with a group of friends and a non-Black friend says that, we all laugh.

If I'm at work and two guys are speaking louder than necessary in a public setting. And these are two guys everyone (of all races and genders) agrees are at best rude and insensitive or at worst outright bigots. If those two guys make that joke, everyone takes it as worse than lame humor. Everyone will take it as a racist slight.

It's kind of like calling an old college female friend "sexy woman" and kissing the air in her direction from many feet away. That's cool with a woman who knows you well and reciprocates in the innocent playing with each other. That's not something you want to do with the new hire whom you don't know.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, Levis
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JavonteWms, JFord, CEH
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, MWilliams, Q Johnston
TE: Goedert, Friermuth
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, AJD, Singletary, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

meineymoe
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby meineymoe » Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:18 pm

Anteaters wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:13 pm
meineymoe wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:05 pm
... is refering to 2 black men as brothers for the purpose of a punchline kosher?

-oo-
Speaking as a Black man, as with many things, I'd say it depends.

If I'm at the bar with a group of friends I know and a non-Black friend says that, we all laugh.

If I'm at work and two guys are speaking louder than necessary in a public setting. And these are two guys everyone (of all races and genders) agrees are at best rude and insensitive or at worst outright bigots. If those two guys make that joke, everyone takes it as worse than lame humor. Everyone will take it as a racist slight.

It's kind of like calling an old college female friend "sexy woman" and kissing the air in her direction from many feet away. That's cool with a woman who knows you well and reciprocates in the innocent playing with each other. That's not something you want to do with the new hire whom you don't know.
Thank you. This resonates.
-oo-

YouMightDieTryin
MVP
MVP

Postby YouMightDieTryin » Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:27 pm

Anteaters wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:13 pm
That depends if my wife finds out!

#infidelityjokesarentfunny

cazzie33
All Pro
All Pro

Postby cazzie33 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:48 pm

Ice wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:03 pm

Point Missed yet again:

The real reality is this will be the 4th time of many a Black QB has won the SB in this obvious age of enlightenment.

That said, the media and politicians will play the race card no matter what so no one looks at the reality of so many failed political policies.

It's not that it was the 1st or 10th story. The actual question is why is it even story in today's world. It's okay that it is but it's a simple footnote type story to many that simply look beyond race.

Here is an actual fact. 35 Years ago today, I watch Doug Williams win the SB 42-10 over the Denver Broncos. He played Great and we were proud.

Your *extra* point was wide right ...

Certainly many will politicize it as you seem to be. That works for you.

For the black community to celebrate both Super Bowl QBs is also alright and nothing to do with politics. Samoans celebrate Polamalu and others. If there are multiple Samoans in the Super Bowl there's probably a similar article written. If they were both the starting QBs it would be HUGE in the Samoan community. It's a first for the Afro-American community. Let them puff their chests out with pride & celebrate the moment.

The media & fans always seek an angle to attach some connection or relevance to accomplishments of others. I've seen the " Two Big 12 QBs" article to push back that narrative that QBs from that conference aren't that good because they play inferior defensive competition is false. That topic would cause a debate but if you are writing about that as a source of pride it is a fact & why wouldn't you be proud . As a Big Ten fan we can have a friendly debate but why would I be upset that they are proud of their guys. Kudos to them !

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:21 pm

cazzie33 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:48 pm
Ice wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:03 pm

Point Missed yet again:

Your *extra* point was wide right ...

Certainly many will politicize it as you seem to be. That works for you.

For the black community to celebrate both Super Bowl QBs is also alright and nothing to do with politics. Samoans celebrate Polamalu and others. If there are multiple Samoans in the Super Bowl there's probably a similar article written. If they were both the starting QBs it would be HUGE in the Samoan community. It's a first for the Afro-American community. Let them puff their chests out with pride & celebrate the moment.

The media & fans always seek an angle to attach some connection or relevance to accomplishments of others. I've seen the " Two Big 12 QBs" article to push back that narrative that QBs from that conference aren't that good because they play inferior defensive competition is false. That topic would cause a debate but if you are writing about that as a source of pride it is a fact & why wouldn't you be proud . As a Big Ten fan we can have a friendly debate but why would I be upset that they are proud of their guys. Kudos to them !
Hahahahahaha;

But I have to call a 15 yard "Small Things amuse Small Minds" penalty. If this is your celebratory achievement in your life then that is pretty sad given good QB play from this current group is commonplace.

First Down! :thumbup:

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:53 am

Ice wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:21 pmBut I have to call a 15 yard "Small Things amuse Small Minds" penalty. If this is your celebratory achievement in your life then that is pretty sad given good QB play from this current group is commonplace.
Your bigotry is blazing bright for all to see.

According to you, if any African-Americans show pride in seeing Mahomes+Hurts play in the SB, they have small minds. Further, you consider it "sad" if any African-American celebrates this event.

Let me break down to you why that is immensely offensive. YOU know that all African-American sports fans are proud of this moment. Regardless of whether you agree they should or should not be proud, you know they are proud of the moment. THEN you make a conscious decision to say anyone taking pride in this happening has a "Small Mind" and is "pretty sad". Therefore, you're painting all African-American sports fans (and non sports fans who have heard about this and take pride) as being unintelligent and living disappointing "sad" lives.

For those who might not fully grasp this, this is where history is so important. From Slavery through till today, it was/is commonplace for racist bigots to refer to African-Americans as unintelligent and incapable of living an honorable life the way white Americans do. In these two sentences I quoted from you above, you take a big swing at both. You say African-Americans have "Small Minds" -- and I didn't miss you capitalized those two words because obviously the point was very important to you. And you said they live "sad" lives.

And you decided that simply because African-Americans are proud that two Black QBs are playing against each other in the SB for the first time in history. So I guess that makes all the many more African-Americans who are proud of our Vice-President and new Supreme Court Justice also Small Minded and living Sad lives?

You're the sad individual, Ice. The fact that you're not even brave enough to come out and admit how you really feel. The fact that you blow these dog whistles repeatedly, making it very clear how how you feel, but then you get scared to out yourself and you allow others to cow you into trying to hide your true feelings. I mean, if you're going to be this way, why not be man enough to really go out and be proud about it? Trying to be sneaky about it is a coward's way.

Clarification: Don't mistake my frankness for anger. I'm not mad at you in the least. What I am is proud, and I'm not going to allow a bigot to dehumanize African-Americans simply because he thinks he can do it and get away with it here. I'm politely (as politely as you) stating simple facts. Not for your benefit. But first, for the benefit of any minorities who might be lurking here and feeling uneasy because of the occasional dog whistles that go off without rebuke. And secondly, for any whites who might be confused as to whether or not what Ice is saying is offensive, and if so how offensive might it be - I'm letting you know what has been said in this thread (and others) by more than only one person, is very offensive.

Ice, when you stop posting bigoted statements, I'll stop responding and calling out your bigoted statements. Your call.
TEAM 1:
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon

TEAM 2:
2023 semifinals loser

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:52 am

Anteaters wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:53 am
Ice wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:21 pmBut I have to call a 15 yard "Small Things amuse Small Minds" penalty. If this is your celebratory achievement in your life then that is pretty sad given good QB play from this current group is commonplace.
Your bigotry is blazing bright for all to see.

According to you, if any African-Americans show pride in seeing Mahomes+Hurts play in the SB, they have small minds. Further, you consider it "sad" if any African-American celebrates this event.

Let me break down to you why that is immensely offensive. YOU know that all African-American sports fans are proud of this moment. Regardless of whether you agree they should or should not be proud, you know they are proud of the moment. THEN you make a conscious decision to say anyone taking pride in this happening has a "Small Mind" and is "pretty sad". Therefore, you're painting all African-American sports fans (and non sports fans who have heard about this and take pride) as being unintelligent and living disappointing "sad" lives.

For those who might not fully grasp this, this is where history is so important. From Slavery through till today, it was/is commonplace for racist bigots to refer to African-Americans as unintelligent and incapable of living an honorable life the way white Americans do. In these two sentences I quoted from you above, you take a big swing at both. You say African-Americans have "Small Minds" -- and I didn't miss you capitalized those two words because obviously the point was very important to you. And you said they live "sad" lives.

And you decided that simply because African-Americans are proud that two Black QBs are playing against each other in the SB for the first time in history. So I guess that makes all the many more African-Americans who are proud of our Vice-President and new Supreme Court Justice also Small Minded and living Sad lives?

You're the sad individual, Ice. The fact that you're not even brave enough to come out and admit how you really feel. The fact that you blow these dog whistles repeatedly, making it very clear how how you feel, but then you get scared to out yourself and you allow others to cow you into trying to hide your true feelings. I mean, if you're going to be this way, why not be man enough to really go out and be proud about it? Trying to be sneaky about it is a coward's way.

Clarification: Don't mistake my frankness for anger. I'm not mad at you in the least. What I am is proud, and I'm not going to allow a bigot to dehumanize African-Americans simply because he thinks he can do it and get away with it here. I'm politely (as politely as you) stating simple facts. Not for your benefit. But first, for the benefit of any minorities who might be lurking here and feeling uneasy because of the occasional dog whistles that go off without rebuke. And secondly, for any whites who might be confused as to whether or not what Ice is saying is offensive, and if so how offensive might it be - I'm letting you know what has been said in this thread (and others) by more than only one person, is very offensive.

Ice, when you stop posting bigoted statements, I'll stop responding and calling out your bigoted statements. Your call.
Hear My words carefully and I am not angry either.

Your Racist Comments are way out of line.

I actually feel sorry for you and could not care less what race you are. It is becoming obvious to all that you look at life as a sad victim. Spare us your fake rage at a comment you obviously took way out of context not even directed at you.

I am quite proud of my multi racial family and Idiots know no Color.

You sir, Qualify.
Last edited by Ice on Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:53 am

Ice wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:52 amI actually feel sorry for you and could careless what race you are. It is becoming obvious to all that you look at life as a sad victim.
To ask that bigoted comments not be made is not a claim of victimhood.
TEAM 1:

TEAM 2:
2023 semifinals loser