And then there’s this twist on the SB matchup

Politics, world events, under-water basket weaving, everything goes in this forum. Please keep it respectful at all times.
Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Re: And then there’s this twist on the SB matchup

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:27 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:13 am
Cameron Giles wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:07 am
Bronco Billy wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:44 am [
40 years ago that 2 black QBs are facing each other in the SB would IMO have been spectacular and worthy of all sorts of headlines and stories. 20 years it should be a lead and drawn plenty of attention. Now, IMO it was just an inevitability that should be noted but isn’t a primary aspect of the event. And I think that it’s great that we are at a point where this would be considered what would be a reasonably expected and normal aspect of the game. That’s as is should be.
I get what you're saying, but who is anyone to tell a race or community how they specifically should experience the Super Bowl?

I don't care that you or anyone else doesn't primarily see this as two black QBs competing for a Super Bowl and there are other stories that interest you more. That's your prerogative.

I think it's great though that there are people who do primarily care about it and more inclined to watch because of it. It's the same thing that happens with movies, award shows, etc. These news outlets are simply delivering this story for a specific audience. It doesn't have to be for you.
Where did you get that I was trying to dictate how anyone should feel about it? I was expressing my opinion of how a major news source is choosing to characterize the event as their lead story in reporting about it. You saw the “IMO” part in the portion you chose to bold, right?
You just said in what I bolded that it shouldn't be a primary storyline of the game, which is why I'm asking: Who is anyone to say how people should primarily experience this game?

You are saying in your opinion that this should not be focused on primarily. I'm saying that I disagree and explained why it can and should be for people.

Is the point of this thread to learn about why people view it through that lens, or to vent about why they do? Or is it something else I'm misunderstanding?

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:25 am

Anteaters wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:51 am
Ice wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:35 am Who could possibly be upset? I haven't read that anywhere.

I can see fans hating teams but no one has been blasting away at these two young QB's that I have seen.

Mahomes is my favorite player, could be my Texas Tech Alumni bias or the fact I met him once.

Food for Thought:
Rage and Hate are not healthy....playing the Victim and Race Card all the time isn't either. Racism isn't under every single stone......just sayin.
I'll play your little game for a while.

Someone started this thread complaining that a sports news article noted that for the first time ever there are two African-American QBs starting in a Superbowl. The thread crawled on and a few others agreed with the opinion that it would be better to not acknowledge this fact. Not even you can try to twist words to dispute this is the set-up. Well you might...

So we're left with two possibilities. 1) Those expressing unhappiness are for some strange reason unhappy ONLY with the reporting of the injustice being overcome. 2) Those expressing unhappiness are unhappy that the injustice has been overcome.

Which is it for you, Ice?
I am a very happy, not sure why you like attacking those that may not fit into some little angry box but the world is far more complex than the two unhappy views or outcomes that you have expressed.

I get there are those that thrive off blaming everything and everyone on race; Me, at the moment, I am just trying to understand how you have claimed Mahomes for the black race when his mother is white? Is that to fit the narrative? I am curious.

While you may or may not look at Mahomes as a Black man, I am pretty sure he views himself as a man that just happens to be the best QB on planet earth.

The real reality is millions of us have always looked beyond race. Good parenting matters.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

spotxc
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby spotxc » Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:52 am

The funniest thing about this is that I would bet it is powerful white people who are posting these articles and directing all of this race stuff. That should tell you enough

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:55 am

I read the headline and was like hmm yeah nice cool very good.

But then I see 4 pages? Yikes

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:00 am

Ice wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:25 am
Ice wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:35 am Who could possibly be upset? I haven't read that anywhere.

I can see fans hating teams but no one has been blasting away at these two young QB's that I have seen.

Mahomes is my favorite player, could be my Texas Tech Alumni bias or the fact I met him once.

Food for Thought:
Rage and Hate are not healthy....playing the Victim and Race Card all the time isn't either. Racism isn't under every single stone......just sayin.

Someone started this thread complaining that a sports news article noted that for the first time ever there are two African-American QBs starting in a Superbowl. The thread crawled on and a few others agreed with the opinion that it would be better to not acknowledge this fact. Not even you can try to twist words to dispute this is the set-up. Well you might...

So we're left with two possibilities. 1) Those expressing unhappiness are for some strange reason unhappy ONLY with the reporting of the injustice being overcome. 2) Those expressing unhappiness are unhappy that the injustice has been overcome.

I am a very happy, not sure why you like attacking those that may not fit into some little angry box but the world is far more complex than the two unhappy views or outcomes that you have expressed.

I get there are those that thrive off blaming everything and everyone on race; Me, at the moment, I am just trying to understand how you have claimed Mahomes for the black race when his mother is white? Is that to fit the narrative? I am curious.

While you may or may not look at Mahomes as a Black man, I am pretty sure he views himself as a man that just happens to be the best QB on planet earth.

The real reality is millions of us have always looked beyond race. Good parenting matters.
That's a whole lot of words to not answer my question or refer to anything I said. That's not how a conversation takes place.

I see what you want to do is deflect and blur the discussion to be your own little personal venting session about your grievances. If you'd rather do that than have a conversation, go for it. You don't need my participation for that.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, Levis
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JavonteWms, JFord, CEH
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, MWilliams, Q Johnston
TE: Goedert, Friermuth
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, AJD, Singletary, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:04 am

Ice wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:25 am Me, at the moment, I am just trying to understand how you have claimed Mahomes for the black race when his mother is white? Is that to fit the narrative? I am curious.

I'll let Patrick Mahomes answer the question for you as to how he views himself as a Black QB. Unlike you, I don't presume to speak for the man. However, I could not help but notice how many times he said "we" when referring to Black QBs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EfSJEjfxF4

But you see how this gets us nowhere? You're not going to use Patrick's own words as a learning moment. You're likely going to keep winding around, dodging, obscuring, shooting potshot grievances. This is a tired game.
Last edited by Anteaters on Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
TEAM 1:
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon

TEAM 2:
2023 semifinals loser

Tvols
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Tvols » Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:10 am

Love thy neighbor as thy self!
16 teamer
QB T Law, R Wilson
rb- Mixon,pollard, J Hill, conner,
WR-Chase,Lamb,T Hill, R Bateman, C sutton, boyd
Te Kelce, Waller, Fant,Evertt,
1qb,2-3rb,3-5wr,1-2 TE
Full IDP

Team 2 recent rod 16 team SF/TEP(2pt PPR) 1-2 QB, 2-3 RB, 3-5 wrs and 1-2 TE full IDP.
QB A rod, M willis and H Hooker
rb not squat T Bigsby, Chris R, Z evans. J kelly, C patterson, and J mcluaghlin.
WRs chase, J Addison, T McLaurin, C ridgley , A Losivas, M hollins
TE Kelce, D Belligner, T Conklin

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:41 am

Anteaters wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:00 am
Ice wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:25 am

That's a whole lot of words to not answer my question or refer to anything I said. That's not how a conversation takes place.

I see what you want to do is deflect and blur the discussion to be your own little personal venting session about your grievances. If you'd rather do that than have a conversation, go for it. You don't need my participation for that.
Read Again; I am happy, have no grievances in this thread, and completely reject your unhappy narratives. Just for future reference, a question isn't a grievance.

Perhaps Randi Martin has a grievance, but my guess is she doesn't worry much about race at this point either. BTW, there is absolutely zero wrong with Mahomes embracing his black heritage and his white mother.

Regardless this man is really good at QB. I did enjoy the video post... Thanks!

Carry on! :thumbup:
Last edited by Ice on Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:46 am

Tvols wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:10 am Love thy neighbor as thy self!
:lol:
Isn't that what Russia is saying to Ukraine?
TEAM 1:

TEAM 2:
2023 semifinals loser

Forza_Azzurri
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Forza_Azzurri » Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:53 am

This thread should get shut down ... A couple people (myself included) express their legitimate opinion that it's a disservice to apply a racial lens to the upcoming matchup of Mahomes v. Hurts only to be called racists for holding that viewpoint. It's a bull$h!t tactic meant to silence debate.

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:01 pm

Forza_Azzurri wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:53 am This thread should get shut down ... A couple people (myself included) express their legitimate opinion that it's a disservice to apply a racial lens to the upcoming matchup of Mahomes v. Hurts only to be called racists for holding that viewpoint. It's a bull$h!t tactic meant to silence debate.

"meant to silence debate"
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

*cough couch*
ahem

Okay, I'll present you with the same questions I asked Ice.
EDIT: Nope, I'll move on to this one below.
I'll ask another question to forward the discussion (I don't want to debate, I'd much rather converse and learn from each other.) When you say that mentioning this SB is the first with two African-American QBs is a "disservice", to whom do you think it's a disservice?
A) The QBs who fully acknowledge they are Black QBs?
B) African-Americans at large?
C) You?
D) All white people everywhere?
E) Someone else?

I really would love to learn your viewpoint.
TEAM 1:

TEAM 2:
2023 semifinals loser

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:16 pm

Forza_Azzurri wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:53 am This thread should get shut down ... A couple people (myself included) express their legitimate opinion that it's a disservice to apply a racial lens to the upcoming matchup of Mahomes v. Hurts only to be called racists for holding that viewpoint. It's a bull$h!t tactic meant to silence debate.
But again, why does it bother you that people who can relate and identify with black athletes choose to do so? Why is it a disservice for a community to celebrate their own?

It's not preventing you from discussing the Super Bowl in the way you want to. There's plenty of discussion about the general football legacy of Mahomes. People are acting like they're being strapped to a chair and forced to hear about a specific angle.

Forza_Azzurri
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Forza_Azzurri » Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:21 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:16 pm
But again, why does it bother you that people who can relate and identify with black athletes choose to do so? Why is it a disservice for a community to celebrate their own?

It's not preventing you from discussing the Super Bowl in the way you want to. There's plenty of discussion about the general football legacy of Mahomes. People are acting like they're being strapped to a chair and forced to hear about a specific angle.
It doesn't bother me if people want to view it that way. I'm critical that it was the first angle that the national media brought up. I believe it is a huge disservice to both Mahomes' & Hurts' accomplishments that the first instinct is to focus on their race.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:31 pm

Forza_Azzurri wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:21 pm
Cameron Giles wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:16 pm

It doesn't bother me if people want to view it that way. I'm critical that it was the first angle that the national media brought up. I believe it is a huge disservice to both Mahomes' & Hurts' accomplishments that the first instinct is to focus on their race.
Why do you think it was the first angle they brought up based on a single article from the AP?

I'm just trying to figure out what the point of this thread actually is.

Tvols
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Tvols » Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:34 pm

Anteaters wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:46 am
Tvols wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:10 am Love thy neighbor as thy self!
:lol:
Isn't that what Russia is saying to Ukraine?
lol, not sure I would call that love, but this world sure could use more love and respect for each other.
16 teamer
QB T Law, R Wilson
rb- Mixon,pollard, J Hill, conner,
WR-Chase,Lamb,T Hill, R Bateman, C sutton, boyd
Te Kelce, Waller, Fant,Evertt,
1qb,2-3rb,3-5wr,1-2 TE
Full IDP

Team 2 recent rod 16 team SF/TEP(2pt PPR) 1-2 QB, 2-3 RB, 3-5 wrs and 1-2 TE full IDP.
QB A rod, M willis and H Hooker
rb not squat T Bigsby, Chris R, Z evans. J kelly, C patterson, and J mcluaghlin.
WRs chase, J Addison, T McLaurin, C ridgley , A Losivas, M hollins
TE Kelce, D Belligner, T Conklin