Purdy vs Lance

This is the spot for player-to-player comparisons.

Who would you rather have in Dynasty?

Purdy
60%
Lance
40%

Total votes: 20

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Purdy vs Lance

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:40 am

Interested to see the results.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Gator Sens
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Purdy vs Lance

Postby Gator Sens » Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:06 am

It should be very interesting to watch this play out. Lance is a big risk but still has a massive ceiling.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:52 am

Ideally if you owned Lance, you got Purdy.

I love swinging for upside. Whole reason I drafted Lance in a league. But after a few disappointing years, and also a lack of college experience (FCS to top it all off), I'm pretty far off of Lance. Already moved him before the season started.

Purdy has looked good. I do wonder how much of it is him vs system. I also wonder how Lance would do in the same system if healthy. We don't get those luxuries though. The upside now looks to be with Purdy. He's shown he can help the team win.

Give me Purdy, but Lance probably holds more market value still? I see him still around QB12 in a lot of rankings which is way too high.

Say if Lance does somehow get the job back, Purdys value tanks pretty hard most likely. While Lance still holds decent value even with his slow start to his career. He could be traded and then both possibly have starting roles next year. Still think I'd prefer Purdy in SF to Lance somewhere new

MacDaddy123
MVP
MVP

Postby MacDaddy123 » Sun Jan 15, 2023 4:32 pm

Very close for me now.
I WANT to believe in Purdy, but I am not sure that I am quite there yet.

I think that Purdy HAS to win the Super Bowl to keep the job in 2023.
Anything short of a Super Bowl victory, and I think the 49ers give Lance the starting job again in 2023.

But the way Purdy is playing, the 49ers have a chance to win it all this season.
IF that happens, I think the job belongs to Purdy.

Since I am an Eagles fan, I guess even though I am rooting for Purdy, my Eagles still come first.

Servo
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Servo » Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:25 pm

I think the problem is, so many Lance owners are in deep, that they are going to ride it out for better or for worse. Even after his injury you probably still fetched a 1st for him in 2QB/SF but after this Purdy stuff? Oof I really don't know. The only way I'd see going after Lance is if your team is a solid contender and take a chance that he wins the job in 2023 or is traded. But what's the likelihood that the current Lance owner sells him? :think:

MacDaddy123
MVP
MVP

Postby MacDaddy123 » Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:47 pm

Servo wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:25 pm I think the problem is, so many Lance owners are in deep, that they are going to ride it out for better or for worse. Even after his injury you probably still fetched a 1st for him in 2QB/SF but after this Purdy stuff? Oof I really don't know. The only way I'd see going after Lance is if your team is a solid contender and take a chance that he wins the job in 2023 or is traded. But what's the likelihood that the current Lance owner sells him? :think:
Pretty low IMO.

From what I have been hearing, people talking about a 2nd/3rd round pick for Lance, I am not selling Lance for that.
I'll hold, and I know other Lance owners who will not sell for that either.

I mean not much to gain by selling Lance now, his value cannot get much lower.

I know some owners still really value Lance because after Lance originally got injured, one owner offered him to me for Deshaun Watson.
I turned that down quickly. Point is: A LOT of Lance owners still value him highly.

While I would probably move Lance now for a 1st (12 team SF), for a 2nd or 3rd, I'll hold and take my chances.
Since it seems like no one thinks Lance is worth a 1st now, I'll hold.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:32 am

MacDaddy123 wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 4:32 pm Very close for me now.

Anything short of a Super Bowl victory, and I think the 49ers give Lance the starting job again in 2023.

But the way Purdy is playing, the 49ers have a chance to win it all this season.

Since I am an Eagles fan, I guess even though I am rooting for Purdy, my Eagles still come first.
I can't see the 49ers going to the SB, and losing, then the 49ers just hand the ball to Lance in the off season. I don't think they GIVE the job to Lance period at this point. Not without earning it. I think it's past the point of that. Shannahan would create a major divide in his locker room if he just handed Lance the starting QB moniker next year, without a competition in which Lance clearly outplays Purdy in the off season.

MacDaddy123
MVP
MVP

Postby MacDaddy123 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:55 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:32 am

I can't see the 49ers going to the SB, and losing, then the 49ers just hand the ball to Lance in the off season. I don't think they GIVE the job to Lance period at this point. Not without earning it. I think it's past the point of that. Shannahan would create a major divide in his locker room if he just handed Lance the starting QB moniker next year, without a competition in which Lance clearly outplays Purdy in the off season.
Alright, so the 49ers don't just "hand" the starting job to Lance.
They say it is an open competition, because that is what people like to hear, and then Lance is the opening day starter, regardless of how the competition really turns out.

I mean the 49ers have invested too much into Lance at this point to not get a good look at him.
We shouldn't be so naive.

Every NFL team talks about open competition at each and every position every year, but is there really?
I mean are Justin Jefferson, Roquan Smith, Patrick Mahomes really competing for their job every year?
I don't think so.

Sure, Lance is not one of the NFL elite, not yet anyway.
However, he is a three 1st round pick player who the team has no idea if he is what they hope he can be or not .....yet.

I mean if I paid $100K for a car, and that car broke down in the first month, and sure, that $20K rental is getting me around just fine.
Does that mean that when my $100K car is back from repairs I just stick it in the garage and continue driving around my $20K rental happily?

No, most people are going to want to see how that $100K vehicle rides on the open road before just sticking it into a garage.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:17 pm

MacDaddy123 wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:55 am

They say it is an open competition, because that is what people like to hear, and then Lance is the opening day starter, regardless of how the competition really turns out.

No, that's my point. I disagree. He actually has to win the job. The team needs to see him actively outplay Purdy. It's not about the media, it's about the team, the locker room. If they have some fabricated competition and everybody sees Purdy is better, but the coaches still hand it to Lance, that's going to divide the team, and locker room. I don't see them doing that. Lance has to actually outplay him this off season.

The 49ers have had a good look at Lance. They've had 2 years. It's naive to think that they haven't. The camp struggles, the constant drum beat he wasn't living up to the expectations they had of him.

All these analogies of cars etc. Purdy is looking more like a car you won in a draw, a good sports car that runs well, not some 20 K rental. Lance is looking like one you bought and it keeps breaking down.

MacDaddy123
MVP
MVP

Postby MacDaddy123 » Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:00 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:17 pm

No, that's my point. I disagree. He actually has to win the job. The team needs to see him actively outplay Purdy. It's not about the media, it's about the team, the locker room. If they have some fabricated competition and everybody sees Purdy is better, but the coaches still hand it to Lance, that's going to divide the team, and locker room. I don't see them doing that. Lance has to actually outplay him this off season.

The 49ers have had a good look at Lance. They've had 2 years. It's naive to think that they haven't. The camp struggles, the constant drum beat he wasn't living up to the expectations they had of him.

All these analogies of cars etc. Purdy is looking more like a car you won in a draw, a good sports car that runs well, not some 20 K rental. Lance is looking like one you bought and it keeps breaking down.
Agree to disagree.

I still say, unless Purdy wins a Super Bowl, Lance will get another chance.

Lance may be on a shorter lease with Purdy in the background, but he will get a shot UNLESS Brock can win it all, and prove that he IS the man that Jimmy G wasn't.

Have you heard the noise that Jimmy G is almost ready to return? :lol:
Might be ready to go by the NFC Championship game, or Super Bowl at the latest.

Now see, THAT makes me laugh. No way Jimmy G gets the keys back to that team this season, short of injury.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:02 am

MacDaddy123 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:00 am
FantasyFreak wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:17 pm

Agree to disagree.

I still say, unless Purdy wins a Super Bowl, Lance will get another chance.

Lance may be on a shorter lease with Purdy in the background, but he will get a shot UNLESS Brock can win it all, and prove that he IS the man that Jimmy G wasn't.

Have you heard the noise that Jimmy G is almost ready to return? :lol:
Might be ready to go by the NFC Championship game, or Super Bowl at the latest.

Now see, THAT makes me laugh. No way Jimmy G gets the keys back to that team this season, short of injury.
Fair enough. Agree on Jimmy G.

SN9-7Titans
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby SN9-7Titans » Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:50 am

If you have both then you are set. Dont sell either because Purdy played as a top 10 QB, and Lance has the upside of being a top 5.

Selling Lance now low will be a grave mistake. Some throw a 2nd or even a 3rd at you in SF, it's just not enough. Not because of the situation now, but what he can be. So theoretically if Prudy is the starter in 2023 and Lance sits, so what? This is dynasty, and in 2 years you must hope that he leaves the niners and gets a job somewhere else. Imagine if he studied and learned behind purdy to wait his turn, and become as he was projected to be another Josh Allen? Or better considering Allens turnover rate. Lance is not trash. He is just raw. Also who would you want to replace him with in the 2nd? I mean rookie QB? there is none who comes close. Unless you hope to hit some late round Purdy.

A fun fact about Lance and Purdy:

Lance is half a year younger.

Purdy is a consistent Jimmy G. Taking what defenses give him, stats align, and not turning the ball over much. But do we think he can be better than this? Can he actually carry the game when Kittle, deebo, cmc leave or have reached a point in their career where their dominance diminishes? What about deep balls like we see from Burrow, Mahomes, and Allen? Can he do that? No. That's Lance. That's why they drafted him, to become and unlock a part of the offense that Jimmy G never could. Purdy works so great because he is able to keep the previous level of offense alive and going. The stats prove that. He is a young Jimmy G.

Lance is still the upside and hope. Purdy is the conservative ceiling of success. now the real question is: Why would they change anything if Purdy wins? That's right. Only wins matter, and so far why change anything? Even if Purdy doesnt win the NFC championship or the SB, i think Shanahan will let him keep the starting Job. Lance needs to win and outplay him. he can do that. He has the tools to do so. But only if he actually unlocks that part of the offense that Jimmy G and Purdy never be able to do.

Personally, i wouldnt accept anything less than a 1st atm for Lance. And no one on the other hand will send a 1st for Purdy considering he has still the "backup" stain on him. Both are a definite hold right now unless someone offers actual value. Both are top 10 QBs in fantasy. Purdy has proven that. Lance has shown that in some games in 2021 (i am ignoring the heavy rain game against CHI this year).
Team NoDrama - 12Team SF 1.5 TEP

QB: Hurts, Tagovailoa, Ridder, Lance, Purdy, Stroud
RB: Hall, Gibbs, Dobbins, Dillon, White, Warren
WR: Higgins, JSN, Jeudy, Aiyuk, Dotson, Amon-Ra, Shakir, Michael Thomas, Gallup, Rondale Moore
TE: Goedert, Meyer, Kincaid, Jelani Woods, Jonnu Smith, Otton, Bryant, Kolar
Picks: 3.07, 4.07
----------------------------

Mjvb5
Legend
Legend

Postby Mjvb5 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:57 am

My thing is it all comes down to cost. I still see lance going round 3 as a "value" in startups he's a hard sell at that. Meanwhile purdy going in the 8/9 round range is an easy buy. Flip the values and my opinion flips. It all comes down to the cost

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:55 pm

I mean the 49ers have invested too much into Lance at this point to not get a good look at him.
We shouldn't be so naive.

Every NFL team talks about open competition at each and every position every year, but is there really?
I mean are Justin Jefferson, Roquan Smith, Patrick Mahomes really competing for their job every year?
I don't think so.

Sure, Lance is not one of the NFL elite, not yet anyway.
However, he is a three 1st round pick player who the team has no idea if he is what they hope he can be or not .....yet.

I mean if I paid $100K for a car, and that car broke down in the first month, and sure, that $20K rental is getting me around just fine.
Does that mean that when my $100K car is back from repairs I just stick it in the garage and continue driving around my $20K rental happily?

No, most people are going to want to see how that $100K vehicle rides on the open road before just sticking it into a garage.
One QB has a record of 4-4 when handed the starting job.
One QB has a record of 7-0 when thrust into the starting job.
On the same team, with the same weapons

The NFL values wins and success over all else. To your car analogy, it doesn't apply. GM's lose their jobs going 4-4. Owners reward 7-0. Doubling down on a draft day mistake will always cost people their jobs.
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

Servo
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Servo » Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:34 am

SN9-7Titans wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:50 am Selling Lance now low will be a grave mistake.
Is it? We still have NO clue if Lance is even good or not, the guy has hardly played in competitive football games since 2019...wild.