Steven Jackson's value?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
ekassor
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Steven Jackson's value?

Postby ekassor » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:58 am

If you watched the Rams beat the Saints Sunday you know that Steven Jackson is putting together a big season. He's playing with a lot of emotion and willed that team to victory. He's averaging well over 5 ypc and getting a ton of touches. Bradford coming back, Lloyd provides a quality WR and 5 out his next 6 games look like good matchups.

Problem is, I own in him a league where several injuries and slow starts to guys like Charles, Leshoure, Gates, Roddy and TB Mike have torpedoed my season.

He's 28 years old but showing all his power and talent are intact. What's he worth to a contender in your opinion?

Thanks.

ThanksICouldHelpBro
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Re: Steven Jackson's value?

Postby ThanksICouldHelpBro » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:55 am

I'd probably try for a first plus a piece, something like a WR3 like Lloyd or prospect/starter like Kendall Hunter. But maybe you can get more, he did play out of his mind this past week.

pierrefr
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby pierrefr » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:09 pm

I came to ask advices on SJax too :D.
I got offered Smithh (Carolina) for him. What do you think about it? I know that RB > WR in fantasy but I am afraid of his health.
12 teams, non PPR

QB (1): Newton, Bradford
RB (2-4): Blount, Bryce Brown, Andre Brown, Dwyer, Steven Jackson, Reece, Spiller, Starks, Thomas
WR (4-6): Jon Baldwin, Boykin, A.J. Green, Vincent Jackson, Calvin Johnson, McCluster, Rice, Rod Streater
TE (1-3): Vernon Davis, Zach Miller

ThanksICouldHelpBro
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby ThanksICouldHelpBro » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:45 pm

given your team I'd pass on that one. you're loaded with 3 younger WRs who are at least as good if not better than Smith, and you're stretched really thin at RB

RobertBobson
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby RobertBobson » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:52 pm

ThanksICouldHelpBro wrote:I'd probably try for a first plus a piece, something like a WR3 like Lloyd or prospect/starter like Kendall Hunter. But maybe you can get more, he did play out of his mind this past week.

I hope he has better luck shopping SJax than I did. I'm in a total rebuild in a league, and after shopping sjax for like 8 months, the best I could get for him was a 1st rounder. Several owners said they had no interest in him. I offered the Kendall Hunter owner that very trade ( he has a competitive team that is going to be a playoff team so the pick is going to be al ow first rounder) and he told me he wouldn't do hunter straight up for sjax. Given his age and injury history, he's extremely hard to get full value for, particularly considering his track record. If you could get a 1st and a Wr3 or young prospect for him, you should jump at it
12 team 1 ppr 6 pt all tds
1 qb 2 rb 2 wr 1 rb/wr 1 te 1k
qb Ryan, Vick, nassib, Barkley
RB DMC, Gore, Sporles, Stacy, Hillman, Moreno,
WR aj green,welker, Britt, Blackmon, DeMary
TE Davis, Cook, Housler, Allen

Heisenberg
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby Heisenberg » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:12 pm

I think he is more valuable then the advice given so far. If you are in rebuild mode I would trade him for a first and multiple pieces. If you can't get a great offer, it wouldn't be awful to hold onto him. I think he has at least one more good season in him.

cleanwillyb
Captain
Captain

Postby cleanwillyb » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:10 pm

ThanksICouldHelpBro wrote:I'd probably try for a first plus a piece, something like a WR3 like Lloyd or prospect/starter like Kendall Hunter. But maybe you can get more, he did play out of his mind this past week.
You should be able to get significantly more than this, in my opinion.

A legitimate contender should be willing to give up a high pick plus a LEGIT young prospect. Honestly, if I were you I would try to make a trade with a contender where somebody like Mark Ingram is involved in the trade. I mean, how badly do they want to win the championship THIS YEAR?
16 team 0.5 PPR IDP dynasty league. 5th Season.
QB: D. Brees, M. Stafford
RB: L. McCoy, D. Martin, J. Charles, R. Mendenhall, D. Wilson
WR: C. Johnson, H. Nicks, A. Green, J. Jones, R. Meachem
TE: J. Graham, J. Finley
DL: JPP, C. Johnson, J. Tuck
LB: S. Lee, J. Lauranaitis, C. McCarthy, J. Beason, D. Bishop,
CB: J. Haden, R. Sherman
S: P. Chung, M. Burnett, B. Pollard
2010-2012 Champ

twistedmetal
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby twistedmetal » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:42 pm

I'd agree with the last post if he wasn't injured so often and have such a long history of that. Tough to trade for someone who may not see the field. At least CJ is going to be playing each week. I'd rather take the 3-7 points a week than a big goose egg.

RobertBobson
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby RobertBobson » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:14 am

cleanwillyb wrote:

A legitimate contender should be willing to give up a high pick plus a LEGIT young prospect. Honestly, if I were you I would try to make a trade with a contender where somebody like Mark Ingram is involved in the trade. I mean, how badly do they want to win the championship THIS YEAR?

I wish that was the universally accepted opinion on him, but it was my experience with him that owners don't want to take on an injury prone 28 year old running back with a ton of mileage. I mean, all it takes is one owner. But most teams that are competing already have stud running backs. So you have to find just the right team that has immediate RB needs, is otherwise competitive, and is willing to give you "fair" value. But, he is not, by himself, a RB there is much demand for. He's an excellent buy low candidate. But, if you think you're going to get a high first round pick for him and a legit prospect... I think that's wishful thinking.

bigcsr67
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby bigcsr67 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:06 am

In my main league, S Jax was dealt to a contender for a 2012 1st and 3rd. This trade was done before his explosion last week, but seems to be a typical going rate.

twistedmetal
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby twistedmetal » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:14 am

I'd pay that easily, too. That's two wild card picks that don't come with any guarantee that you're going to get anything in return, both picks it seems will be near the bottom of the rounds also which means any stud players coming out next year will already be taken. That seems to me that he was sold for very low. He didn't even get a developmental player in return that he know's the situation of right now instead of either of those picks.

bigcsr67
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby bigcsr67 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:29 am

twistedmetal wrote:I'd pay that easily, too. That's two wild card picks that don't come with any guarantee that you're going to get anything in return, both picks it seems will be near the bottom of the rounds also which means any stud players coming out next year will already be taken. That seems to me that he was sold for very low. He didn't even get a developmental player in return that he know's the situation of right now instead of either of those picks.
It seems to be a growing trend in this league. People are valuing draft picks too much, and this realy makes trading a bit difficult at times. I was just offered a mid 1st round pick for Roddy White, and I was speechless...

twistedmetal
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby twistedmetal » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:56 am

I think that's a trend in many leagues. I'll trade away a draft pick without question for the next year knowing the player I'm getting will most likely last through that year and hopefully many more, and then I don't have to guess on who's going to bust or not. Especially because my draft pick has historically been in the lower fourth of the draft order (10-12). At that point, if there's someone I'm thinking of getting. I pick them up the year before in anticipation of not being able to draft them the next year (non-rookies only).

Now that works the opposite if it's going to be a top pick, because yes there's the chance of him busting, however, at least the value of the player is there and the opportunity is also there to move that pick because someone else wants one of the top tier guys coming out.

RobertBobson
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby RobertBobson » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:46 am

twistedmetal wrote:I think that's a trend in many leagues. I'll trade away a draft pick without question for the next year knowing the player I'm getting will most likely last through that year and hopefully many more, and then I don't have to guess on who's going to bust or not.

That's the issue with SJax though. Thinking that he's going to last for "many more" is pretty optimistic imo. Even thinking that he's going to last through this year without missing games is optimistic given his history. I think the real issue is his injury history. Though he really hasn't missed that many games, and is productive every year, every year he does miss SOME games and historically has been a headache figuring out if he's going to play this week, so you sit him and he plays and does nicely or you start him and he doesn't play or doesn't play much and ruins you. I think everyone has had SJax at some point, in dynasty and redrafts, and his oft injuries have probably left a bad taste in the mouth of a lot of owners. I'm not saying that's rational, but I suspect that it's at play.

Water Buffalo
Legend
Legend

Postby Water Buffalo » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:54 am

cleanwillyb wrote:

Kendall Hunter IS a legit young prospect.

If I was a Sjax owner, I'd trade him for a 1st + Hunter no matter what my team situation was, no questions asked.