Cause of failure/success

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Cause of failure/success

Postby Pullo Vision » Wed Dec 28, 2022 1:59 pm

Our teams over/under perform our preseason expectations every year. We can often pin that down to one or two players.

What player(s) was instrumental to your teams' 2022 performance, positive or otherwise? I'm not talking an in-the-moment playoff loss like Hopkins week 16, but the entire year. Ignoring injuries too, we know what the big ones were. Saw the hopes of several aspiring contenders go up with JT's injury.

I'd been holding Pollard as an occasional flex start for two years, but being able to consistently plug him into to my RB4 spot gave me an elite RB corps to steamroll the league the 2nd half of the regular season.

On the flip side, I thought Kareem Hunt would be able to give consistently startable production, but I got to the point I could find 3-4 RBs on my bench with higher ceilings and/or floors I'd rather start.

Another disappointment was Darnell Mooney. I wasn't expecting WR1 numbers, but it'd have been nice to plug him into the lineup without closing my eyes. I got to the point I was hunting for an alternative.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Re: Cause of failure/success

Postby ericanadian » Wed Dec 28, 2022 2:44 pm

Oh, where to start… At QB, I went into the season with Stafford backed up by Tannehill and Mariota. Stafford struggled early and I moved Tannehill and Elijah Moore for Pittman thinking Stafford would turn it around and Mariota could cover the interim.

At running back, I came into the season with Dalvin Cook and D’Andre Swift starting and supported by Melvin Gordon, Rashad Penny and surprisingly my league hates Jets so I had Hall fall to me at the 5th pick. My depth evaporated quickly with Penny and Hall going down. Can’t trust Swift and, honestly, Cook has been questionable to give you a full season most years as well, so I cashed out and moved Cook for a 1st, 2nd and a 3rd. Diontae at WR was not great either.

On the flipside, getting Garrett Wilson late was a nice surprise.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

slaughterrt
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby slaughterrt » Wed Dec 28, 2022 5:09 pm

Hockenson was certainly a nice surprise after his trade to the Vikings. Loved that from a dynasty and real life perspective.

Same with Evan Engram.

Geno Smith was definitely a solid contributor in superflex and QB premium leagues. I got a few bye week and injury starts from Smith.

Darren Waller was a big bust this year. Definitely sucks because he seems like such a good dude.

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Wed Dec 28, 2022 5:39 pm

The one player I have on 2 of my 3 teams in the finals is Justin Jefferson. He's been producing at a high level super consistently all year.

Pitts caused the death of one of my teams. At the beginning of the year I traded Hock + 1st to get Pitts. Oof.

I think the bigger thing though is I shifted my focus towards quantity over quality. The NFL is super random, sometimes its better just to have a bunch of warm bodies at each position, rather than the sexiest starting roster. It's the main reason why I held Rhamandre Stevenson in both leagues where I had him instead of instantly trading him away like I normally would have in the past. Ended up making the playoffs in 1 of the 2 leagues where i own him, in large part due to his production middle of the season. Also, the past few years I've been placing more importance on rostering multiple 2nd round picks instead of a single 1st round pick. Again, quantity over quality.

Cherokee
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Cherokee » Wed Dec 28, 2022 5:48 pm

It all started with Andrew Luck
12 Team 1QB IDP Full PPR Start 8
QB- Kenny Pickett, Jake Haener, Clayton Tune
RB- Jerrick McKinnon, Elijah Mitchell, Gus Edwards, Kenneth Gainwell, TDP, Jordan Mason
WR- Rondale Moore, Drake London, Jordan Addison, Terrence Marshall , Garrett Wilson, Chris Olave, Mecole Hardman, Rashid Shaheed, David Bell
TE- Michael Mayer, Likely, Chig, Cade Otten
LB- Jewell, Deablo, Troy Anderson
DE- Phillips, Highsmith
DB- Brisker, Hufanga, Cine
Taxi Squad: Chase Brown, A.T. Perry, Keaton Mitchell, Khalan Laborn, Lew Nichols lll

MacDaddy123
MVP
MVP

Re: Cause of death/success

Postby MacDaddy123 » Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:46 pm

I'll just talk about my 20 team league.
Going for 2 podcast picked my team as the #1 team in the league survey about 2 weeks before week 1 kickoff.

I had a decent year, finishing in 3rd place with a 24-4 record.
In the end, injuries and poor play did me in.
I lost Harold Landry first, before week 1, bad omen as Landry was my top DL, finishing as DL8 overall in 2021.

Things just snowballed from there. Lost Javonte Williams in week 4, lost Jonathan Taylor off and on though the season, lost Kyler Murray just before the playoffs started.
Then players like Mark Andrews, DJ Moore, Michael Pittman under-performing on top of the injuries were just more nails in the coffin.

Lost in the 1st round to the 6 seed, game over.

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Postby tstafford » Thu Dec 29, 2022 4:07 am

Lamar Jackson killed my team. First by underperforming, then by getting hurt. I was 8-3 but ended up missing the playoffs. Such is life.

qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
Captain
Captain

Postby qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj » Thu Dec 29, 2022 2:03 pm

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 5:39 pm The one player I have on 2 of my 3 teams in the finals is Justin Jefferson. He's been producing at a high level super consistently all year.
I'm in the finals of 4 of my leagues. 3 of those are the only leagues I own Lamb in, so he's definitely my MVP of the season. 2 of them also have Ekeler, so he gets the honorable mention.
The consistency those 2 brought throughout the entire year was definitely a huge factor in getting there for those teams. In lamb's case with different qbs as well. Super impressive year by both.

My teams that I thought would be successful that ended up sucking most often involved Waller, Pitts and Swift, with Evans being a bit of a disaster for the first time ever during the 2nd half of the season as well.

wickerkat1212
Legend
Legend

Postby wickerkat1212 » Thu Dec 29, 2022 2:26 pm

Pitts has been a disappointment for my two shares of him. So many TEs of mine have been weak—Kmet (wanted more than the #12 WR), Tonyan, LThomas. Robbie Anderson has been a disappointment. Waiting on EMoore to turn it around.

Pollard has been a nice surprise. Started him as my RB2/3 quite often, with Henry and EE. Zay Jones is a WW grab that has gotten 186 points, as much as Olave, who has been as solid as I expected him to be. Conner has been a nice RB. Glad to see Devonta getting as many points as Chase, that makes me happy. (Though Chase missed four weeks.) Glad to see TLaw figure it out.

I'm not mentioning the expected studs—JAllen, Mahomes, Henry, Jefferson, Tyreek, Chase, Diggs, Lamb, Kelce, etc.
D3:
QB—Allen, Pickett RB—Kamara, Jacobs, ZWhite, Edwards, Ford, Warren WR—Lamb, Olave, DJM, Puka, Tillman, Marshall, Jefferson, Robinson, Tucker TE—Ferguson, Schoon, Likely, Smith, Washington, Kraft PK—Prater DEF—BAL

D4:
QB—TLaw, JimmyG, Tannehill, AOC, Hall RB—Bijan, Kamara, Conner, BENSON (R), Gainwell, Gainwell, Foreman, ZMoss, Chandler, McLaughlin WR—Jefferson, Hill, Adams, Allen, POLK (R), CORLEY (R), Tillman, Woods TE—Kelce, Kmet, Conklin PK—Butker DEF—PIT

Superflex 1:
QB—Mahomes, Rodgers, Mayfield, RATTLER (R) RB—Bijan, Kamara, Allgeier, Mostert, BRob, ESTIME (R) WR—Chase, DJM, Devonta, MBrown, Lockett, Myers, COWING (R), MWASHINGTON (R) TE—Kmet, Kraft, SANDERS (R), Conklin, Hurst PK—Elliott DEF—PHI

Superflex 2:
QB: MAYE (R), Goff, Cousins, PENIX (R), Wentz, White; RB: Bijan, BRob, ZWhite, Allgeier, McLaughlin WR: HARRISON (R), DJM, Higgins, JSN, BTHOMAS (R), Downs, RMoore, Atwell, SMoore, DPJ, Devante TE: Ferguson, Kraft, Trautman, Tremble

thunderTung
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby thunderTung » Thu Dec 29, 2022 2:59 pm

a few things have gone right for me:

- D. Harris getting hurt, and Stevenson being a stud
- picking up Geno Smith on a whim and him outperforming actually gave me a QB I can somewhat trust (just check my roster, you'll see lol)
- Lamb developing the way his supporters were expecting
- ETN and K. Walker having their big stretches of success, while my best player (Chase) was out due to injury
- and of course, a more later season development, picking up Marcus Jones as a CB that gets snaps on every side of the ball. dude dropped a 40 bomb for me last week and sent me to the championship (only won by like 4 points)
12 man IDP 0.5 ppr

QB(1): Geno Smith
RB(2): ETN/Walker III
WR(2): Chase/Lamb
TE(1): Goedert
FLEX(2): Stevenson/Garrett Wilson
K: Mcpherson
DL(2): T. Walker/Vea
LB(2): D. Long/TJ Edwards
DB(2) Dugger/Moehrig
FLEX: Kenneth Murray
IR: J. Hicks/Milano/Marcus Jones
Bench:
QB: Mac Jones/Bryce Young
RB: Zeke/D. Harris
WR: N. Brown/Demario Douglas/Bobby Trees/Parker/Tyler Scott
TE: Bellinger/Schultz
DL: Barrett/J. Davis/Yannick/
LB: Milano/Edwards/K. Murray/J. Smith
DB: Mathieu/Jonothan Owens

Patsfan86
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Patsfan86 » Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:20 pm

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 5:39 pm The one player I have on 2 of my 3 teams in the finals is Justin Jefferson. He's been producing at a high level super consistently all year.

Pitts caused the death of one of my teams. At the beginning of the year I traded Hock + 1st to get Pitts. Oof.

I think the bigger thing though is I shifted my focus towards quantity over quality. The NFL is super random, sometimes its better just to have a bunch of warm bodies at each position, rather than the sexiest starting roster. It's the main reason why I held Rhamandre Stevenson in both leagues where I had him instead of instantly trading him away like I normally would have in the past. Ended up making the playoffs in 1 of the 2 leagues where i own him, in large part due to his production middle of the season. Also, the past few years I've been placing more importance on rostering multiple 2nd round picks instead of a single 1st round pick. Again, quantity over quality.
I love this strategy and been trying to do it with my current rebuild. Just get a bunch of cheap guys and see what happens. I was able to get WanDale Robinson and Isiah Pacheco this way. 2 guys who probably won’t be studs but could almost certainly get hot at the right time. I’m also hoping for this for my cheap acquisitions of Kyren Williams, David Bell, and Tyquan Thornton. I paid a late first for a guy like Frieremuth, some may think that’s too much but to me it’s much cheaper than a guy like Andrews or Kittle would ever be. I have 4 big firsts in this upcoming class. That’s where I’ll try to get the studs

NeverEndingRebuild
Rookie
Rookie

Postby NeverEndingRebuild » Sat Dec 31, 2022 6:55 pm

Went into this season with Allen Robinson, Rashod Bateman, Elijah Moore, Brandin Cooks and Julio behind J.Chase

Drafted Wandale and Tolbert. I thought WR was the least of my problems.

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Sat Dec 31, 2022 7:04 pm

tstafford wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 4:07 am Lamar Jackson killed my team. First by underperforming, then by getting hurt. I was 8-3 but ended up missing the playoffs. Such is life.
Mine too, and this was the 2nd year in a row for Team 1 in sig. Consecutive trips to the playoffs without Lamar. Unsurprisingly, I lost in my 1st game both years. At least I had a BYE for the first round this year so my season lasted a week longer than in 2021. :lol:
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

MacDaddy123
MVP
MVP

Postby MacDaddy123 » Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:36 am

NeverEndingRebuild wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 6:55 pm Went into this season with Allen Robinson, Rashod Bateman, Elijah Moore, Brandin Cooks and Julio behind J.Chase

Drafted Wandale and Tolbert. I thought WR was the least of my problems.
Ooof.....well at least you have Chase.

I expected WR to be a problem, because mine were all so young, and WR was a problem.
Treylon Burks, Jameson Williams, George Pickens, Jahan Dotson, Skyy and Rondale Moore, David Bell, Wan'Dale, Laviska Shenault, KJ Hamler.

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Sun Jan 01, 2023 5:13 pm

Can I switch this to cause of death?