Brock Purdy

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
trc
Captain
Captain

Brock Purdy

Postby trc » Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:23 am

So he had his first start and to me he looked better than Garrap.
To me he was playing with more speed and determination than Jimmy G.

But honestly I don’t watch enough games to actually know.

What do people expect going forward? (Thinking next year).

Does he hold any long term value with Lance coming back?

frerichs5
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: Purdy

Postby frerichs5 » Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:40 am

I think Lance will get one more shot next year. But Purdy’s performance down the stretch will determine if he sticks as the backup. We’ve seen plenty of backup QBs come in and look good before. The test for me will be how he looks in another couple weeks once defenses have some film on him to find his weaknesses. If he adjusts to defenses adjusting, he definitely looks to have a chance at sticking.

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:04 am

He seems like a good scheme fit for Shanahan and, as long as he plays within a PG/distributor role and get the ball to SF's playmakers, he can set himself up for next year. Agree that it depends once teams have enough tape on him, and how he adjusts to that.

Lots of variables with FA, injury recovery and ROS play. Don't think it's crazy to speculate that Jimmy G walks and Lance and Purdy duke it out next off/pre season.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

ZakHH
Role Player
Role Player

Postby ZakHH » Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:34 am

I was impressed by Purdy last week already. He came into the game, and simply looked liked he belonged there. And like he was having fun. He didn't set the world on fire, but he showed calm competence.

Which is not what you'd expect from Mr. Irrelevant. Which is why I picked him up in both my dynasties, even the 1QB one, where I have Lance on IR.

Obviously, Purdy looked even better this week. That his fantasy score wasn't even higher was owed to the fact that he had destroyed the Bucs in the first half already, and his duty in the second half was reduced to handing the ball over to the RBs, and then sitting on the bench for the last quarter.

Yes, the sample size is still small. But he looks like he's for real. At this point, I like him better than any of the 2022 and 2021 rookie QBs, with the exception of Jalen Hurts.

Alas, he has no draft capital to his name, and will take a backseat behind Trey Lance next year. Unless Lance struggles or gets injured again. The leash has probably grown shorter, now that he has serious competition breathing down his neck.

Prison_Mike
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Prison_Mike » Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:49 am

ZakHH wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:34 am I was impressed by Purdy last week already. He came into the game, and simply looked liked he belonged there. And like he was having fun. He didn't set the world on fire, but he showed calm competence.

Which is not what you'd expect from Mr. Irrelevant. Which is why I picked him up in both my dynasties, even the 1QB one, where I have Lance on IR.

Obviously, Purdy looked even better this week. That his fantasy score wasn't even higher was owed to the fact that he had destroyed the Bucs in the first half already, and his duty in the second half was reduced to handing the ball over to the RBs, and then sitting on the bench for the last quarter.

Yes, the sample size is still small. But he looks like he's for real. At this point, I like him better than any of the 2022 and 2021 rookie QBs, with the exception of Jalen Hurts.

Alas, he has no draft capital to his name, and will take a backseat behind Trey Lance next year. Unless Lance struggles or gets injured again. The leash has probably grown shorter, now that he has serious competition breathing down his neck.
You like Purdy over Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields?

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:00 am

Prison_Mike wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:49 am
ZakHH wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:34 am I was impressed by Purdy last week already. He came into the game, and simply looked liked he belonged there. And like he was having fun. He didn't set the world on fire, but he showed calm competence.

You like Purdy over Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields?
Not to mention Jalen Hurts was 2020...

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:04 am

ZakHH wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:34 am Yes, the sample size is still small. But he looks like he's for real. At this point, I like him better than any of the 2022 and 2021 rookie QBs, with the exception of Jalen Hurts.
Hurts was 2020, and having Purdy over Lawrence and Fields is ridiculous.

Shcritters
MVP
MVP

Postby Shcritters » Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:22 am

Iowa State grad here... Purdy is an interesting case. He was really strong his Junior year and almost came out, but he, Kohlar, and Hall all stayed 'for one more year' to see what they could do. He really regressed his Senior year and fell out of high draft contention (he was considered a borderline top 5 QB in 2021 draft).

Having watched Purdy his whole career... this is a lot of Shanahan and getting the ball to his playmakers (Kittle, Deebo, Aiyuk, CMC). I read an article recently (can't find it) talking about what Shanahan did a few years ago with his 2nd/3rd string QB's, and Purdy's best outcome is a slightly better version of those players. I'm rooting for him, but just don't see him as a long-term starter in the NFL. But hey... the last guy I rooted for that I didn't think would cut it is Hurts, so maybe I'm wrong?
Gopher Two
PPR SF, WR & TE Premium (WR 1.2 PPR , TE 1.5 PPR), 10 total starters, 1 QB, 1SF, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex
QB: Mahomes, Prescott, Mayfield
RB: Hall, Pacheco, Jacobs, Connor, Chubb, Mattison
WR: Tyreek, AJ Brown, Flowers, CSutton, JJeudy, Slayton, Iosivas
TE: McBride, DSchultz, Musgrave, Kraft, MGesicki
2024: 1.02, 2.02
2022 and 2023 League Champ

SafeLeague #1 (12 team, SF, 2.0 PPR TE Prem). 10 total starters 1 QB, 1SF (QB/TE/RB/WR), 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex
QB: Purdy, Levis, DTR
RB: Pacheco + scrubs
WR: Downs, MMims, EMoore, Jeudy, MWilson + scrubs
TE: Hock, Kincaid, Pitts, Mayer + scrubs
2024: 1.01, 1.05, 1.11, 2.01, 2.02, 2.06,
2025: 2 1sts, 2 2nds

SafeLeague #2
QB: Purdy, Richardson, Hooker, Willis
RB: literal ZERO RB (for now)
WR: Mingo, MMims, Toney, Skyy, Iosivas
TE: LaPorta, Kincaid, McBride, Mayer, Musgrave, Schoonmaker (and a bunch more 2nd stringers)
2024: 1.01, 1.05, 1.06, 1.08, 1.09, 1.10, 2.01, 2.05, 2.06
2025: 1 1st, 1 2nd

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:52 am

Shcritters wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:22 am Iowa State grad here... Purdy is an interesting case. He was really strong his Junior year and almost came out, but he, Kohlar, and Hall all stayed 'for one more year' to see what they could do. He really regressed his Senior year and fell out of high draft contention (he was considered a borderline top 5 QB in 2021 draft).

Having watched Purdy his whole career... this is a lot of Shanahan and getting the ball to his playmakers (Kittle, Deebo, Aiyuk, CMC). I read an article recently (can't find it) talking about what Shanahan did a few years ago with his 2nd/3rd string QB's, and Purdy's best outcome is a slightly better version of those players. I'm rooting for him, but just don't see him as a long-term starter in the NFL. But hey... the last guy I rooted for that I didn't think would cut it is Hurts, so maybe I'm wrong?
Good info. Puts JT O'Sullivan's commentary into context. He liked his timing, anticipation and footwork (with some good athleticism/mobility) but questioned his arm strength and accuracy for deep throws.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:15 pm

ZakHH wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:34 am
All Lance’s draft capital is going to get him is the chance to take starter snaps at the onset of OTAs. After that, the better talent will rise to the top and take over the job.

This isn’t FF and I’m not sure why people don’t get this. Draft capital means nothing once the pads go on. The NFL is a business. Management is tarnished a bit when a 1st rounder doesn’t pan out. But they lose the trsm and then their jobs when they don’t put the best player on the field - and everyone on the team knows exactly which QB gives them the best chance to succeed - they’ve all played at high levels for a long time and the HC is going to fool no one by trying to pass off the lesser player simply because of draft capital.

Besides, finding the right QB with a very late pick can greatly enhance management’s reputation easily as equal positively as the blown 1st rounder tarnishes it. Brady being a 6th round pick is part of the legend, grabbing Warner out of his grocery bagging position is just as much so.

Simply put, if Purdy is a better QB than Lance, Shanahan will end ip starting him. Sure, Lance will get first dibs. And sure, if they’re roughly equal then the 1st round pick gives Lance an edge. But if Purdy outplays Lance, it’s Purdy’s job. Were people not watching Shanahan jettisoning Sermon way early when it turned out he was a turd?

Prison_Mike
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Prison_Mike » Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:25 pm

Bronco Billy wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:15 pm
All Lance’s draft capital is going to get him is the chance to take starter snaps at the onset of OTAs. After that, the better talent will rise to the top and take over the job.

This isn’t FF and I’m not sure why people don’t get this. Draft capital means nothing once the pads go on. The NFL is a business. Management is tarnished a bit when a 1st rounder doesn’t pan out. But they lose the trsm and then their jobs when they don’t put the best player on the field - and everyone on the team knows exactly which QB gives them the best chance to succeed - they’ve all played at high levels for a long time and the HC is going to fool no one by trying to pass off the lesser player simply because of draft capital.

Besides, finding the right QB with a very late pick can greatly enhance management’s reputation easily as equal positively as the blown 1st rounder tarnishes it. Brady being a 6th round pick is part of the legend, grabbing Warner out of his grocery bagging position is just as much so.

Simply put, if Purdy is a better QB than Lance, Shanahan will end ip starting him. Sure, Lance will get first dibs. And sure, if they’re roughly equal then the 1st round pick gives Lance an edge. But if Purdy outplays Lance, it’s Purdy’s job. Were people not watching Shanahan jettisoning Sermon way early when it turned out he was a turd?
Sermon plays an easily replaceable position, especially in a system like Shanahan's. And with Lance, it's not "the 1st round pick" that gives him the presumed edge. It's the additional (two) 1sts + 3rd they used to move up 9 spots to get him. Sure it's a business and the best player will start. But they're going to make damn sure they were wrong on Lance by giving him every opportunity to succeed and hit the ceiling they were ultimately reaching for before they admit defeat and hand the reigns to a guy the entire league thought was so limited that they didn't need to draft him.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:03 pm

I'm completely with the Bronco Billy on this one.

I could see them still committing to him as the starter even if Purdy is "better" in OTA's (even if only slightly) just because NFL teams are loathe to admit their mistakes when it comes to major draft capital.

But no doubt about it, Purdy being competent means Lance's leash will be short. He'll need to show a lot more than he did in 4 games this year, just having the rushing upside isn't enough when Purdy has demonstrated an understanding of this system already in less than a year of learning it.

This team is an NFC powerhouse that expects to compete for the Superbowl -right now- in this window, and they'll do whatever it takes to further that end.

Shcritters
MVP
MVP

Postby Shcritters » Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:46 pm

mild wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:03 pm
I'm completely with the Bronco Billy on this one.

I could see them still committing to him as the starter even if Purdy is "better" in OTA's (even if only slightly) just because NFL teams are loathe to admit their mistakes when it comes to major draft capital.

But no doubt about it, Purdy being competent means Lance's leash will be short. He'll need to show a lot more than he did in 4 games this year, just having the rushing upside isn't enough when Purdy has demonstrated an understanding of this system already in less than a year of learning it.

This team is an NFC powerhouse that expects to compete for the Superbowl -right now- in this window, and they'll do whatever it takes to further that end.
I'm in alignment, but I'd pump the brakes a little here. When CMC went to San Fran I said to myself 'they're going to go on a run and be a dangerous team'... and they're in the midst of a push. But hinting that Purdy is already 'starter quality' is a little ahead of ourselves. I don't think many of his plays required him to go beyond his first read (from what I watched), and he definitely doesn't have the mobility of Lance. Shanahan did a GREAT job game-scripting for him... let's see what happens when things don't go according to plan before we announce him a long-term starter.

Maybe I've just seen too many games from him where he's supposed to be competent and everything just seems a little off for me to be all-in. Hoping I'm wrong, but wouldn't be surprised if I wasn't.
Gopher Two
PPR SF, WR & TE Premium (WR 1.2 PPR , TE 1.5 PPR), 10 total starters, 1 QB, 1SF, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex
QB: Mahomes, Prescott, Mayfield
RB: Hall, Pacheco, Jacobs, Connor, Chubb, Mattison
WR: Tyreek, AJ Brown, Flowers, CSutton, JJeudy, Slayton, Iosivas
TE: McBride, DSchultz, Musgrave, Kraft, MGesicki
2024: 1.02, 2.02
2022 and 2023 League Champ

SafeLeague #1 (12 team, SF, 2.0 PPR TE Prem). 10 total starters 1 QB, 1SF (QB/TE/RB/WR), 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex
QB: Purdy, Levis, DTR
RB: Pacheco + scrubs
WR: Downs, MMims, EMoore, Jeudy, MWilson + scrubs
TE: Hock, Kincaid, Pitts, Mayer + scrubs
2024: 1.01, 1.05, 1.11, 2.01, 2.02, 2.06,
2025: 2 1sts, 2 2nds

SafeLeague #2
QB: Purdy, Richardson, Hooker, Willis
RB: literal ZERO RB (for now)
WR: Mingo, MMims, Toney, Skyy, Iosivas
TE: LaPorta, Kincaid, McBride, Mayer, Musgrave, Schoonmaker (and a bunch more 2nd stringers)
2024: 1.01, 1.05, 1.06, 1.08, 1.09, 1.10, 2.01, 2.05, 2.06
2025: 1 1st, 1 2nd

ZakHH
Role Player
Role Player

Postby ZakHH » Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:57 pm

bjd5211 wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:04 am Hurts was 2020, and having Purdy over Lawrence and Fields is ridiculous.
Yeah, sorry, I got the 2 draft classes mixed up. Of course, I'm not having Purdy over Lawrence and Fields. Not over Trey Lance, either, whose backup Purdy will likely become next year. I would probably prefer him over Zach Wilson, Mac Jones or Davis Mills, though.

ZakHH
Role Player
Role Player

Postby ZakHH » Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:22 pm

Bronco Billy wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:15 pm This isn’t FF and I’m not sure why people don’t get this. Draft capital means nothing once the pads go on.
I do agree with the rest of your post, and did add Purdy in my 1QB league where I have Lance as my QB1.

But I'm not sure if I'd go as far as saying "draft capital means nothing". For QBs, draft capital usually at least gives them one more season to prove themselves. And even on other skill positions, there are also examples for players who got more time than they should have because they had more draft capital to their name.

Austin Ekeler and Melvin Gordon come to mind. I thought Ekeler was the better RB right after Ekeler's NFL debut in 2017. But as a UDFA depth piece, he was firmly stuck behind the former 1st round pick Gordon.

When Gordon sat out 4 games going into the 2019 season, Ekeler broke out big time. Gordon still got his job back after his push for a new contract was unsuccessful. And looked terrible, compared to Ekeler. It still took the Chargers the full season to finally let Gordon go and hand the keys to the backfield over to Ekeler.

In a perfect world, draft capital should mean nothing. In reality, rather often, it does. Most top RBs are 3rd round picks or higher. Aaron Jones (5th) and Ekeler (UDFA) were the only recent exceptions over an extended period of time. Rhamondre Stevenson (4th) appears to be the next one. But other than that, if you go after a long-term startable RB for your fantasy team, you'd better select a player who has at least 3rd round draft capital to his name. Every year, there are late round RBs who are treated as the next big thing, but none of them gets more than his 15 minutes of fame. Most not even that much.

If a coach starts an undrafted or late-round player over an early-round one, and it doesn't work out, the coach will be out of a job.

If he starts an early-round player and it doesn't work out, he's usually safe, as the team owner probably gave his nod for spending the draft capital on that player, and is less likely to blame the coach.

There are teams for which this may not apply, and the Niners could well be one of them. But saying that draft capital does not matter at all is bit too bold for me.