CJ2k benched?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
MikeCross
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: CJ2k benched?

Postby MikeCross » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:01 am

lol BEHOLD...... knee jerk reactions!

If you watch the game.... hes getting hit in the backfield every play... its stupid. New OC/Oline is the prob imo.
"Ize jus bein rebellion... inda scrip cluh"
Adam "PacMan" Jones

andrewfroboy
Captain
Captain

Postby andrewfroboy » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:00 am

Why is Ringer running with more success then?
10 Team PPR, 6 point QB TD pass, Starts 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2RB/WR/TE, 1K, 1D/ST
QB: Cam Newton, Matt Ryan, Josh Freeman, Carson Palmer
RB: Jamaal Charles, Maurice Jones-Drew, Chris Johnson, Jahvid Best, Jonathan Stewart, DeAngelo Williams, Taiwan Jones
WR: AJ Green, Julio Jones, Greg Little, Marques Colston, Michael Crabtree, Antonio Brown, Leonard Hankerson, Damian Williams, Pierre Garçon
TE: Jimmy Graham, Jermichael Finley, Aaron Hernandez
K: Mason Crosby
D/ST: Lions
2012: 3 3 4

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Postby tstafford » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:03 am

I'm a strong advocate of not making knee-jerk reactions to player situations. I thought people grossly overreacted to Kenny Britt's issues this off-season, I thought people overreacted to MJD's injury rumors, etc. and I posted as such in many, many threads. But this CJ situation isn't knee jerk. We can endeavor to diagnose why he's struggling - is it him, is it the o-line, is the play calling, is it the lack of a real passing game w/o Britt. Whatever, but what we can't debate is the numbers. He is averaging less than 3 YPC, that is horrible. Ringer is only marginally better at 3.5 YPC.

It's this simple: he's not a player you can trust even as a flex in 2011. He's a slightly less bad version of D'Angelo Williams - the only hope with either is they hit a home run for you. If they don't, you're getting single digit fantasy points.

Then the question is what about the future. Here's where we hope he isn't D'Angelo Williams. It seems we've seen the best from him, let's hope that's not the case for CJ0K. I don't think it's time to fire sell him, but if I could get any sort of reasonable value I'd be tempted to let CJ0K be someone else's headache. For example: A buddy last night asked me if he should trade CJ straight up for MJD (that offer was in his inbox from the MJD owner). I said absolutely. If there are deals like that out there to be had, I'm a seller on CJ0K.

voiceofunreason
MVP
MVP

Postby voiceofunreason » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:34 am

I'm really down on him but even I'll say he won't be benched. I forget the figures, but they paid this guy an incredible amount of money. Right or wrong, teams just don't do that and then bench someone. RBBC sounds imminent but they can't bench him. Now, I'd look to see how much of that money is guaranteed and what season they can cut him. Of course, if he had to work for a new contract at some point, he might actually start playing well again.

I don't see anything positive for this year though. Locker is on the horizon and, although some rookies have had success, I don't think there are many who are playing with the kind of receivers they have on the titans.

henry1jg
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby henry1jg » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:24 am

I don't think he will be benched either, I was just posting what rotoworld had reported so that other could see it. I still believe in his talent, and I will be attempting to buy low if at all possible. However, its hard to think that he'll rebound in a big way this year. Like the previous poster said, he just signed a monstrous deal, and he definitely still has elite talent. The best thing that can happen is for him to go through an offseason where everyone is doubting him and talking bad about him. Nothing motivates more than when someone tells you that you cant do something.
Barrow Snowmen- 14 team - 0.5 PPR, IDP - Yr 19
Jacksonville Jaguars - 32 team - Real GM - Yr 13
Barrow Snowmen #2 - 14 team - SF, PPR - Yr 2
Jimmy Graham Cracker wrote:Don't let your recency bias affect your judgment.

dabearsfan
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby dabearsfan » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:05 am

MikeCross wrote:lol BEHOLD...... knee jerk reactions!

If you watch the game.... hes getting hit in the backfield every play... its stupid. New OC/Oline is the prob imo.

This is kind of what I was thinking but I don't own him in any leagues so I haven't been following the situation too closely. Are there any grumblings out of Tenn about his conditioning or attitude? Those would be the only things that I might be concerned about. Is he mailing it in now that he got paid? Is he not in the shape he should be because of the holdout? Those would concerns for me if either are true.

The times I've watched CJ this year he doesn't seem to have much room to run. Ringer might be producing more with his touches because when he's in there the defense isn't as focused on stopping the run game.

Misfit74
Legend
Legend

Postby Misfit74 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:15 pm

The ability to power through tackles/break tackles is showing to be important with the current state of the Titans' O-line. Johnson is hit in the backfield or at the line so often it's ridiculous - at least from the games I've seen. It's similar to what's going on with Marshawn Lynch in Seattle only Lynch occasionally breaks tackles and gets 2 yards when he should get none. This is something that is being WAY overblown in terms of CJ's 'decline' which is a myth and a fabrication. He'll be fine in the long run and will bounce back when his team adds a few O-line upgrades. I'm sure Johnson wants to earn some of that 'Mo Money' and to do that he'll have to work hard and produce. He has plenty of motivation to find after enduring this lull in his career. I'm still buying low.

I think a lot of people forget how inter-dependent football is. It's a team sport and when your O-line blows as bad at the Titans' does, it's bad news for the running game. Just ask Seahawks fans. Notice the bottom two O-lines here: http://footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol
#GoHawks / @am_misfit / Fractal Audio / Matrix Amplification / Axe FX II XL+ / ESP, Schecter Guitars

MikeCross
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby MikeCross » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:47 pm

Misfit74 wrote:The ability to power through tackles/break tackles is showing to be important with the current state of the Titans' O-line. Johnson is hit in the backfield or at the line so often it's ridiculous - at least from the games I've seen. It's similar to what's going on with Marshawn Lynch in Seattle only Lynch occasionally breaks tackles and gets 2 yards when he should get none. This is something that is being WAY overblown in terms of CJ's 'decline' which is a myth and a fabrication. He'll be fine in the long run and will bounce back when his team adds a few O-line upgrades. I'm sure Johnson wants to earn some of that 'Mo Money' and to do that he'll have to work hard and produce. He has plenty of motivation to find after enduring this lull in his career. I'm still buying low.

I think a lot of people forget how inter-dependent football is. It's a team sport and when your O-line blows as bad at the Titans' does, it's bad news for the running game. Just ask Seahawks fans. Notice the bottom two O-lines here: http://footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol
Glad not everyone here is crazy!
Cj's run style is a very patient one. His 2k season was built on big holes that allowed him to get in and accelerate for 50 yards. He doesnt have time to take 2 steps in any direction before he is hit in the backfield, much less accelerate into open field. Watch the games, not the stat line yall.
CJ is still the most gifted runner in the NFL, bar none. You see 9 and 10 in the box when he is in the game. And Hasselbeck never seems to kill into a pass.
Ringer is not having alot more success than CJ either. 3.5yrds a carry is not success. He's a fire plug back, who runs pell mell into holes reguardless if they are there or not, and like I said CJ is a patient runner. Ringer is similar in stature to mjd and Rice, so when hes hit he might stumble forward for a yard or so, where as CJ is taken down.
Adam "PacMan" Jones

henry1jg
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby henry1jg » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:46 pm

I just bought him, and I'm pumped.

MikeCross
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby MikeCross » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:39 pm

henry1jg wrote:I just bought him, and I'm pumped.
What price did you pay?

Here is the deal I just made this week to add him in a 1PPR.

BOHICA gave up:
Tebow, Tim DEN QB
Tate, Ben HOU RB
Year 2012 Round 1 Draft Pick from BOHICA
Year 2013 Round 1 Draft Pick from BOHICA

The Pagan Horde gave up:
Palmer, Carson OAK QB
Johnson, Chris TEN RB
Year 2012 Round 4 Draft Pick from The Pagan Horde
Year 2013 Round 3 Draft Pick from The Pagan Horde
Adam "PacMan" Jones

RobertBobson
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby RobertBobson » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:55 pm

The jamie harper era might be coming sooner than I hoped!
12 team 1 ppr 6 pt all tds
1 qb 2 rb 2 wr 1 rb/wr 1 te 1k
qb Ryan, Vick, nassib, Barkley
RB DMC, Gore, Sporles, Stacy, Hillman, Moreno,
WR aj green,welker, Britt, Blackmon, DeMary
TE Davis, Cook, Housler, Allen

henry1jg
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby henry1jg » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:24 am

I gave:
- Jstew
- Eric Berry
- 2012 1st (likely top 5)

For:
- CJ2k
- 2012 2nd (likely 5-10)

I think it was great value, and I dont need anything out of CJ so it's purely me believeing that his talent will shine through at some time. Probably next year, but anything he gives this year is just gravy. Its for team 1 in my sig, we can only start 2 rbs.

Warhawks
Starter
Starter

Postby Warhawks » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:59 pm

MikeCross wrote:lol BEHOLD...... knee jerk reactions!

Exactly, people are just going off of stats and not actually seeing the game. Johnson had absolutely no where to run. Ringer got a couple holes during the game that Johnson did not. I mean just look at both of their YPC, they suck, showing it is that offense and not just Johnson. Johnson is a patient running who follows his blocks, well they are not doing so well in the blocking department. Now, his failure isn't completely all the lines problem, I don't think he has that same burst right now.

BUY LOW while you can and SELL HIGH on Ringer while you can. Remember guys this is dynasty, not redraft.

Misfit74
Legend
Legend

Postby Misfit74 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:38 pm

andrewfroboy wrote:Why is Ringer running with more success then?
See my post (above)
#GoHawks / @am_misfit / Fractal Audio / Matrix Amplification / Axe FX II XL+ / ESP, Schecter Guitars

sunnyd23
Role Player
Role Player

Postby sunnyd23 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:52 pm

MikeCross wrote:
Misfit74 wrote:The ability to power through tackles/break tackles is showing to be important with the current state of the Titans' O-line. Johnson is hit in the backfield or at the line so often it's ridiculous - at least from the games I've seen. It's similar to what's going on with Marshawn Lynch in Seattle only Lynch occasionally breaks tackles and gets 2 yards when he should get none. This is something that is being WAY overblown in terms of CJ's 'decline' which is a myth and a fabrication. He'll be fine in the long run and will bounce back when his team adds a few O-line upgrades. I'm sure Johnson wants to earn some of that 'Mo Money' and to do that he'll have to work hard and produce. He has plenty of motivation to find after enduring this lull in his career. I'm still buying low.

Glad not everyone here is crazy!
Cj's run style is a very patient one. His 2k season was built on big holes that allowed him to get in and accelerate for 50 yards. He doesnt have time to take 2 steps in any direction before he is hit in the backfield, much less accelerate into open field. Watch the games, not the stat line yall.
CJ is still the most gifted runner in the NFL, bar none. You see 9 and 10 in the box when he is in the game. And Hasselbeck never seems to kill into a pass.
Ringer is not having alot more success than CJ either. 3.5yrds a carry is not success. He's a fire plug back, who runs pell mell into holes reguardless if they are there or not, and like I said CJ is a patient runner. Ringer is similar in stature to mjd and Rice, so when hes hit he might stumble forward for a yard or so, where as CJ is taken down.

Bar none??? I'm sure there are plenty of football people that would disagree with you on that comment. Either way, he's a very good runner. But a few offensive line upgrades can take more than one season. Then where are we? The guy is 7 years into a career and still at elite level? He's not LT. He's not AP. The guy weighs 190 lbs and is built for speed. I wouldn't be willing to risk the Titans getting that help on the o-line and developing a QB in Locker in time for him to be worth it again. If you can sell him for good value, I'd do it.
10-team, Superflex, PPR, performance, 25-man roster
QB(Start 1-2): L.Jackson, S.Darnold, D.Carr
RB(2-3): J.Mixon, M.Mack, C.Edwards-Helaire, J.Taylor, J.K.Dobbins, A.J.Dillon, Z.Moss, L.Miller, , Ja.Williams, G.Bernard
WR(3-4): D.Hopkins, A.Cooper, A.Theilen, K.Golloday, C.Davis, L.Fitzgerald, Z.Pascal, M.Boykin
TE(1-2): D.Njoku, D.Waller
'21 - 1,4