What's your rebuild strategy? (+team direction)

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
Prison_Mike
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What's your rebuild strategy? (+team direction)

Postby Prison_Mike » Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:29 am

Team 3 in signature - started rebuilding this team last year and have made decent progress but still have major holes to fill. It's been (somewhat accidentally) winning games, so I'm a bit torn between making a push and selling off more pieces, but I'm just staying patient and will probably keep trying to re-tool since QBs are so hard to buy

The only pieces I truly have to sell are my two top RBs and my high-end WRs, though Jefferson should be untouchable.

In the past, I've taken the "load up on WRs and picks" approach when rebuilding.
But I'm wondering if I should shift my thinking and try to sell some of those WRs and picks (assets which in theory are much easier to replace) for commodities that are tougher to acquire? (mainly QBs & elite TE).

For example: Would offering up AJB to the Lance & Pitts/Kittle owner (who's a strong contender but getting nothing from them) be a good idea or too risky?

Another example: Would you go after QBs with currently depressed value but likely long-term starters based on their contract/cap situations (Russ/Stafford) even if you're in a rebuild?

I don't want to be relying on there being a starting QB @ 1.04 (or wherever my picks land)
Team 1:
12-team | PPR | SuperFlex | 0.5-TEP
Start: 1QB/2RB/2WR/1TE/3FLX/1SF
QB: Herbert, Kyler, Baker, Jimmy G
RB: Taylor, Saquon, Javonte, Conner, Lloyd, R.Davis, Vidal, Tracy
WR: Chase, Aiyuk, Olave, Diggs, Diontae, Hollywood, MT, Shaheed
TE: Engram, Bowers, Woods

Team 2:
12-Team | PPR | SuperFlex | 0.5-TEP
Start: QB/2RB/2WR/1TE/3FLX/1SF
QB: Mahomes, Allen, Russ
RB: Breece, JT, Swift, Javonte, Mostert, Zamir, Irving
WR: Chase, Aiyuk, Nico, Kupp, Kirk, Hollywood, MT
TE: Pitts, Njoku, Woods

Team 3:
12-Team | PPR | SuperFlex | 0.5-TEP
Start: QB/2RB/2WR/1TE/3FLX/1SF
QB: Hurts, Dak, Stafford, Z.Wilson, DTR
RB: Saquon, Swift, Achane, Kamara, Ford
WR: Jefferson, AJB, ARSB, Nico, Diontae, Wicks, OBJ
TE: Goedert, Njoku, Fant, Woods

Gator Sens
GOAT
GOAT

Re: What's your rebuild strategy? (+team direction)

Postby Gator Sens » Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:39 am

These type of posts always come down to where the value is in any possible return. With rebuilding, Jefferson and Brown are great pieces to build around and Prescott should be fine long term as well. None of your other WR's are great pieces to build around including Moore, but this is likely the wrong time to try and move him. But it never hurts to shop. QBs are obviously the most expensive asset in this format, so I would be shopping Barkley to see what the options are there. Your team is still multiple pieces away, so I would be holding your picks and not trying to add pieces now to make a push. I understand the thinking behind trying to grab Wilson/Stafford with their dip in value but I also would not go that route based on age and build. Your build needs time and picks to play out. I also would not be trying to land Pitts based on his likely cost.

Not the most exciting answer at all, but I would shop who you are willing to move for the right price, aim for a young QB or picks and stay patient. This one will take time and there is no quick way to get there.

jomaed
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby jomaed » Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:46 am

My #1 priority would be to sell Saquon. He racking up meaningless points for you. Just making your 2023 picks worse. Are there any contenders with multiple firsts? I would target those teams.

Prison_Mike
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Prison_Mike » Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:58 am

jomaed wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:46 am My #1 priority would be to sell Saquon. He racking up meaningless points for you. Just making your 2023 picks worse. Are there any contenders with multiple firsts? I would target those teams.
No, that's part of the problem :wall:
I guess there's one contender with two '24 1sts that are almost sure to be late