Tampa Bay WRs...

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
JohnnyFive
Captain
Captain

Tampa Bay WRs...

Postby JohnnyFive » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:45 am

With the exception of Mike Williams(who is underperforming) who will emerge opposite of him? Everyone liked Been since he was a high draft pick, but what about Briscoe or Parker?
Keep On Rockin In The Free World

meineymoe
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: Tampa Bay WRs...

Postby meineymoe » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:22 pm

I liked Briscoe as a sneaky pick this past offseason.... still not sure if he'll do well enough to open up the field for Mike Williams, though.

-oo-

jthirteentimes
Captain
Captain

Postby jthirteentimes » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:26 pm

I'm a big fan of Briscoe. They definitely seem to be limited in their trust of him, but he is only a second year player, so that can certainly change. I'm planning to be patient with him.

Here's the latest from Rotoworld:
Dezmon Briscoe is the Bucs' flanker in three-wide sets.

Arrelious Benn explained that the injuries to the Bucs' backfield last week actually lessened his role in the offense. Benn is the flanker in the Bucs' base formations, but they were forced to go three-wide almost exclusively after Earnest Graham's injury. It's strange the Bucs didn't make an exception to get Benn on the field more, but the bottom line is that last week was a little fluky. Most weeks, Benn will get more snaps and targets than Briscoe.
I'm not sure that I interpret that the same way Rotoworld does, but then again, I'm not sure how I interpret it. I do think, though, that it's a strike against Benn.

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Postby tstafford » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:50 pm

If it's about who to own, I'd want to own Benn. He's got the most upside. But it's going to take patience and time, time and patience.

MilwaukeesBest
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby MilwaukeesBest » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:44 pm

I think Benn is already emerging, the other 2 are slot options. Benn has shown game breaking talent, and should only progress as he becomes healthier and involved in the offense.
Team 1: 10 Team, 4 Keeper League, Non-PPR
QB: Deshaun Watson
RB: Ezekiel Elliott, Leonard Fournette, Kareem Hunt
WR: Julio Jones, Dez Bryant
TE: Rob Gronkowski

aggs
Role Player
Role Player

Postby aggs » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:08 pm

I'd rather own Benn but took a flier on Briscoe. Not sure how much worth the No. 3 WR on TB has at the moment but it's dynasty and worth a shot.

MR ROURKE
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby MR ROURKE » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:57 am

I've thought D.Briscoe was the 2nd best WR on the team, since they picked him up on waivers. A.Benn is a better blocker, but D.Briscoe is more explosive and can make catches on balls that A.Benn just can't. If they were in 3 WR sets because of RB injuries... then A.Benn should be out there right? However, he's not a go to guy and the QB knows it. Benn's lack of targets was due to them being behind and better receiving options were on the field. Benn is the run blocker and D.Briscoe is the play maker that they look to in the times they are behind. D.Briscoe could surely work on his run blocking and take A.Benn out of the picture almost completely. If TB was smart, they would pull A.Benn off the field in obvious passing situations for Brisoce and put Parker in the slot. If not for off the field issues, Briscoe wouldn't have dropped as far as he did in the draft.

jthirteentimes
Captain
Captain

Postby jthirteentimes » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:19 am

MilwaukeesBest wrote:I think Benn is already emerging, the other 2 are slot options. Benn has shown game breaking talent, and should only progress as he becomes healthier and involved in the offense.
That's a curious thing to say, considering that Briscoe is the starting flanker in 3 WR sets. Parker is a slot guy. Briscoe - 6'2", 210 lbs. - plays the same position as Benn and imo, is much closer in talent to Benn than most people seem to realize.

voiceofunreason
MVP
MVP

Postby voiceofunreason » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:06 am

I don't know what it is in Tampa. Have they ever, in the entire history of the team, had a top 5 wr? And every time some guy has a good year and looks like he's the man, bam Maurice Stovall is playing on the coverage teams in Detroit. Then Michael Clayton, now Mike Williams. I picked up Benn a couple of places but it doesn't look great. IMO, looks more everyday that their starting wideouts aren't on the roster yet. They've spent a lot of picks on defense. I expect, if at all possible, they'll be adding some wr talent in the draft. I really don't see how they have any choice.

jthirteentimes
Captain
Captain

Postby jthirteentimes » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:24 am

voiceofunreason wrote:I don't know what it is in Tampa. Have they ever, in the entire history of the team, had a top 5 wr? And every time some guy has a good year and looks like he's the man, bam Maurice Stovall is playing on the coverage teams in Detroit. Then Michael Clayton, now Mike Williams. I picked up Benn a couple of places but it doesn't look great. IMO, looks more everyday that their starting wideouts aren't on the roster yet. They've spent a lot of picks on defense. I expect, if at all possible, they'll be adding some wr talent in the draft. I really don't see how they have any choice.
I think they have plenty of WR talent. It just takes time for it to develop. WRs, more than pretty much any other position, have a tremendous learning curve, and their entire WR corps is young. The fact that they have a young QB compounds that fact.

There is no question in my mind that MW will remain a starting WR on that team for the foreseeable future. We all know that an offense is a collection of many moving pieces, and they don't act independently. I think that playcalling, lack of developed weapons around him, a young QB, and being young and inexperienced himself, are the reasons that MW is under performing. It's certainly not time to give up on their entire WR corps, especially considering that all of the main pieces are 1st or 2nd year players.

MikeCross
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby MikeCross » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:50 am

jthirteentimes wrote:
voiceofunreason wrote:I don't know what it is in Tampa. Have they ever, in the entire history of the team, had a top 5 wr? And every time some guy has a good year and looks like he's the man, bam Maurice Stovall is playing on the coverage teams in Detroit. Then Michael Clayton, now Mike Williams. I picked up Benn a couple of places but it doesn't look great. IMO, looks more everyday that their starting wideouts aren't on the roster yet. They've spent a lot of picks on defense. I expect, if at all possible, they'll be adding some wr talent in the draft. I really don't see how they have any choice.
I think they have plenty of WR talent. It just takes time for it to develop. WRs, more than pretty much any other position, have a tremendous learning curve, and their entire WR corps is young. The fact that they have a young QB compounds that fact.

There is no question in my mind that MW will remain a starting WR on that team for the foreseeable future. We all know that an offense is a collection of many moving pieces, and they don't act independently. I think that playcalling, lack of developed weapons around him, a young QB, and being young and inexperienced himself, are the reasons that MW is under performing. It's certainly not time to give up on their entire WR corps, especially considering that all of the main pieces are 1st or 2nd year players.
are u jokin me? WRs have perhaps the EASIEST, transition into the NFL. Hardest transition is for the QB, followed by the linemen. As for Tampa WRs, I'll stear clear of all of them. I own Tampa Mike in only one dynasty, and will likely move him if he ever has a decent game again......
"Ize jus bein rebellion... inda scrip cluh"
Adam "PacMan" Jones

jthirteentimes
Captain
Captain

Postby jthirteentimes » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:02 am

MikeCross wrote:
jthirteentimes wrote: There is no question in my mind that MW will remain a starting WR on that team for the foreseeable future. We all know that an offense is a collection of many moving pieces, and they don't act independently. I think that playcalling, lack of developed weapons around him, a young QB, and being young and inexperienced himself, are the reasons that MW is under performing. It's certainly not time to give up on their entire WR corps, especially considering that all of the main pieces are 1st or 2nd year players.
are u jokin me? WRs have perhaps the EASIEST, transition into the NFL. Hardest transition is for the QB, followed by the linemen. As for Tampa WRs, I'll stear clear of all of them. I own Tampa Mike in only one dynasty, and will likely move him if he ever has a decent game again......
Perhaps I exaggerated a bit, but the point is that WRs often take a few years before they become fantasy assets. Yes, there are plenty of exceptions, as there are at any position. As all dynasty players know, you have to exercise patience with all young players, regardless of position or pedigree. The TB WR corps is extremely young and it is way too early to be closing the book on them. It's way too early to draw any conclusions. If you liked MW coming into this year, I see no reason why you should feel much different now.

sunnyd23
Role Player
Role Player

Postby sunnyd23 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:33 pm

MikeCross wrote:
jthirteentimes wrote:

Again, you might be off here, Mike. WR is pretty difficult. Learning routes and nuances within the game. Why else would people look upon Calvin so differently right now then before the season began? Look, elite talent will show through earlier, but it takes time. RB is easily the easiest position to get production. LB would be a close second, but we're talking fantasy and most leagues aren't IDP yet. TBMW has potential to be a big time WR with Freeman at the helm. I think Benn is the #2 at this point. They have the investment in him and he easily has the most talent in the group.
10-team, Superflex, PPR, performance, 25-man roster
QB(Start 1-2): L.Jackson, S.Darnold, D.Carr
RB(2-3): J.Mixon, M.Mack, C.Edwards-Helaire, J.Taylor, J.K.Dobbins, A.J.Dillon, Z.Moss, L.Miller, , Ja.Williams, G.Bernard
WR(3-4): D.Hopkins, A.Cooper, A.Theilen, K.Golloday, C.Davis, L.Fitzgerald, Z.Pascal, M.Boykin
TE(1-2): D.Njoku, D.Waller
'21 - 1,4

hostile
Starter
Starter

Postby hostile » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:47 pm

MikeCross wrote: are u jokin me? WRs have perhaps the EASIEST, transition into the NFL. Hardest transition is for the QB, followed by the linemen. As for Tampa WRs, I'll stear clear of all of them. I own Tampa Mike in only one dynasty, and will likely move him if he ever has a decent game again......

No. 2-3 years usually is not an 'easy' transition.

Route trees, reading defenses, timing (if they are in a WC system), etc, all make it very hard for a WR to transition.

Great example: Ochocinco to NE.

The Pats' system requires the WRs/TEs to read the defense and adjust their route based on that read. Cincy's system is based on 'run this route regardless', and look at the difficulty Ocho is having adjusting to this.

We're talking about an experienced veteran here. Imagine a wide-eyed kid coming into a league far more talented, against defenses which cover their schemes much, much better, from a league with much less complex systems. It's little wonder it takes so long for WR's to hit.

RB's otoh, can usually impact as rookies.

As to the OP, I think Benn is the guy to own if you dont have Williams.
2012 DLF Veterans Invitational Champion
2009, 2010, 2012 No Quit Keeper League Champion