George Pickens, where did we go wrong?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
gogobradyarm
All Pro
All Pro

Re: George Pickens, where did we go wrong?

Postby gogobradyarm » Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:56 pm

SteveMaddensShoes wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:52 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:46 pm
gogobradyarm wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:45 pm I gotta be honest, I give zero thought into hand size about a guy that broke out at a young age in the SEC and has solid draft capital, along with many other variables.
Especially with his ball skills.
Likely a connection here regarding the sticky hands.
Besides being as talented as Jerry Rice, Pickens also uses Stickum
12 Team - PPR - 30man (2 IR) - 6pt PPTD- 1 QB - 2 RB - 2 WR - 1 Flex - 1 TE
QB: Jalen Hurts, Anthony Richardson, Aidan O'Connell
RB: McCaffrey, Barkley, Pacheco, Jacobs, Zamir White, Jaleel McLaughlin, Zach Evans
WR: AJB, Olave, Aiyuk, London, Diontae Johnson, Rashee Rice, Dotson, Bateman
TE: Mandrews, Pitts, Likely, Mayer

2024: 1.02, 1.11, 3.01
2025: 2x 1st, 2nd
Champ: 2020, 2021
Year 9 of my league

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:59 pm

SteveMaddensShoes wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:52 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:46 pm
gogobradyarm wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:45 pm I gotta be honest, I give zero thought into hand size about a guy that broke out at a young age in the SEC and has solid draft capital, along with many other variables.
Especially with his ball skills.
Likely a connection here regarding the sticky hands.
Nope. He was referring to the fact Pickens has "small hands" at 8 3/4 inches, and I was saying I don't care about that considering the ball skills he shows.
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Well done steak goes in the trash.

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:14 am

Janiel Dones Truther

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

Rondalebaby
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Rondalebaby » Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:41 pm

Ice wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:51 pm The Hype is getting out of control at this point. He may be great;

In 2019 he had 49 Receptions in 12 Games
In 2020 he had 36 Receptions In 8 Games
In 2021 he had 4 Receptions in 5 games

So yes a strong camp, a good catch in a preseason game and heck; He should be worth 2 high 2023 first rounders by mid week.
Looks like Christian Watsons stats lol

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:21 pm

Rondalebaby wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:41 pm
Ice wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:51 pm The Hype is getting out of control at this point. He may be great;

In 2019 he had 49 Receptions in 12 Games
In 2020 he had 36 Receptions In 8 Games
In 2021 he had 4 Receptions in 5 games

So yes a strong camp, a good catch in a preseason game and heck; He should be worth 2 high 2023 first rounders by mid week.
Looks like Christian Watsons stats lol
Actually Watson's stats based on opportunity look more like J. Chase's but Pickens looks good no doubt when one dives into his plays as well.

I find it funny how so many stat nerds will give a Pickens a pass but not Watson. Watson is a fare more electric player.

At some point fantasy football players will actually learn that it is all about quality but until then we will see plenty of ridiculous LOL type emojis. Maybe Pickens and Watson will finally educate the masses a bit that only look at gross stats.

FF players should also understand both the Steelers and Packers have very good WR scouts and excel at drafting players outside of round 1 yet they foolishly laugh at GB selections.

In the Rodgers era; Watson has draft capital in common with D. Adams, G. Jennings, R Cobb, and J Nelson in round 2. When they find those diamonds they are not afraid to pull the trigger.

Both should do very well in the NFL but Watson has far more elite traits. He is way faster, much better vertical and broad jump, a far better QB, and is on a better team with no legit WR1. The Packers haven't had a player this athletic in a long time and it is obvious he is full of desire. While his superior athleticism and unquestioned desire doesn't necessarily mean he will be better, it would be pretty stupid to bet against him at this point.

We know one team for sure who thinks Watson will be better.
Last edited by Ice on Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:03 am, edited 3 times in total.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:37 pm

Ice wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:21 pm Actually Watson's stats based on opportunity look more like J. Chase but Pickens looks good no doubt when one dives into his plays as well.

At some point fantasy football players will actually learn that it is all about quality but until then we will see plenty of ridiculous LOL type emojis. Maybe Pickens and Watson will finally educate the masses a bit that only look at gross stats.
"It's all about Quality!"

- Compares DIVII WR Christian Watson to Ja'marr Chase
- Calls the guy that is yet to make a play a "far more electric player" than the fastest rising Rookie WR in drafts right now, who hasn't stopped making plays since the twitter camp feeds opened
- Says the Packers would still rather have had Watson over Pickens, glad we've got you on record for that

After all, it's about Quality.

I'm not even convinced Christian Watson is the best Rookie WR on his own team at this point.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:00 am

mild wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:37 pm
Ice wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:21 pm Actually Watson's stats based on opportunity look more like J. Chase but Pickens looks good no doubt when one dives into his plays as well.

"It's all about Quality!"

- Compares DIVII WR Christian Watson to Ja'marr Chase
- Calls the guy that is yet to make a play a "far more electric player" than the fastest rising Rookie WR in drafts right now, who hasn't stopped making plays since the twitter camp feeds opened
- Says the Packers would still rather have had Watson over Pickens, glad we've got you on record for that

After all, it's about Quality.

I'm not even convinced Christian Watson is the best Rookie WR on his own team at this point.
Of course you don’t, Mild, your prejudice against Div. II schools is about all you have left.

You’re the guy that buys hype above all else.

It’s really not the badge of honor you must think it is being the sheep of DLF; While following the herd is your motto, there is still hope you grow out of that and actually contribute to the site.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:16 am

Doubs has been dropping passes, and running poor routes, and getting A-A-Ron all hot and bothered. Watson just hasn't been out there. There's a reason he's talking about both his RB's catching 50 passes. Don't expect any rookie WR to be doing a whole lot in GB this year.
Janiel Dones Truther

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:20 am

I think Watson looks fantastic as a ball carrier and in space, but his profile just seems....risky.

- 2-star recruit
- Redshirted as a freshman...in the FCS
- Didn't break out until he was a redshirt junior....in the FCS
- Still looks notably raw when you watch him
- Now, he's missed most of training camp as a rookie

It's not like he just dominated this subdivision out the gate. It took him 4 years to really get on the radar as a prospect.

The best things he has going for him are draft capital, Aaron Rodgers, and strong athletic traits. So, there's a path to succeed, but again, it just looks like a risky profile. I think I'd be willing to look past it if he was winning as a route runner or separating, but just looks more like an open field threat for now.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:49 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:20 am I think Watson looks fantastic as a ball carrier and in space, but his profile just seems....risky.

- 2-star recruit

It's not like he just dominated this subdivision out the gate. It took him 4 years to really get on the radar as a prospect.

The best things he has going for him are draft capital, Aaron Rodgers, and strong athletic traits. So, there's a path to succeed, but again, it just looks like a risky profile. I think I'd be willing to look past it if he was winning as a route runner or separating, but just looks more like an open field threat for now.
I feel like this is one of the reasons he was being drafted highly. And it may not even matter in a years time. Put that together with all the analytics you mentioned and he's a huge risk/reward type player but I see him flaming out more than becoming a perennial WR1

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:59 am

Watson definitely profiles on the risker side, but the upside is significant. Best-case he's really good and Rodgers plays for ~3 more years. The risk is the reason he isn't earlier, but the upside is why he's still a late first rounder.

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:13 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:20 am I think Watson looks fantastic as a ball carrier and in space, but his profile just seems....risky.

- 2-star recruit

Watson owned the entire senior bowl week, that carries a lot of weight to me. Sometimes you need the right coaching or a bump in competition to raise your own game. The skillset is 100% there.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:17 am

- 2-star recruit

While I get what you are saying the biggest difference we have is I broke down his stats based on his actual opportunity his last year school. He matured physically late for child.

The reason this is important is because your model consistently talks about breakout age or timing but doesn't account for physical maturity. Additionally, it fails to account for system or coaching style like run vs pass. I broke down his stats vs opportunity even down to a fumble percentage his last year.

Once compared to NFL Chase's phenomenal rookie year his stats matched up quite favorably. I posted this someplace months ago.

I am not discounting your work by any means because you know what you're doing but throwing out he was a II Star recruit in his case deserves a reason why. Do you even know he grew like 4 inches his senior year and only weighed 175 pounds when he entered college? Do you know he added 30 lbs in college?

When I read drivel like I compared Watson to Chase it gets a bit frustrating when I actually compared the stats between the two like scouts may compare their speed score. Further, discounting a player because he went to a DII school just shows how ridiculous some people are when they don't really do quality research.

No doubt it may take a player like Watson a bit longer due to situation but he actually grew up around football so does have an inside track on what it takes; His dad played in the NFL. Watson is a classic late bloomer who grew into a man in college. Bottom line, it is foolish to think a player is a finished product when the enter or leave college. While some may have reached their peak in High school or college, most are just getting started and will get way better. Watson was drafted high because he can play and has all the tools to be a legit WR1 in the NFL. Pickens was also drafted high because the Steelers see WR1 potential him as well.

Trying to fit them in a box of metrics doesn't work very well in this case.

I view both of these players as just getting started; I like both. They both have a long way to go...much longer than a training camp and few twitter verse accolades.

YouMightDieTryin
MVP
MVP

Postby YouMightDieTryin » Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:32 am

George Pickens is pretty good too. Let's talk about him a little.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:38 am

I only brought up the 2-star recruit thing to help validate why he had a slow start to his career. Sure, there's different reasons behind it, but he was not immediately ready to contribute as a freshman...in the FCS.

There's definitely a path for Watson to succeed, but when I see an older prospect coming from sub-par competition and still being raw, I definitely put up red flags. When I watch him, he just seems like a really talented ball carrier and open field threat right now. Maybe that changes in the NFL, but for the rookie capital I don't know if that's a bet I'm making.