George Pickens, where did we go wrong?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
frerichs5
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: George Pickens, where did we go wrong?

Postby frerichs5 » Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:07 pm

How’s everyone feeling about Pickens right now? Quite a few people thought he’d take over as WR1 from Diontae this year. That hasn’t happened. In 4 games played together this year, Diontae has out targeted him 35 to 25, and that is including the entire game one he left early.

Pickens may be a bigger play threat, but Diontae still looks good as well. I don’t think Pickens will get enough volume to be consistent unless Diontae is out again.

And both will struggle if Pickett doesn’t improve. He just looks off.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:21 pm

frerichs5 wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:07 pm How’s everyone feeling about Pickens right now? Quite a few people thought he’d take over as WR1 from Diontae this year. That hasn’t happened. In 4 games played together this year, Diontae has out targeted him 35 to 25, and that is including the entire game one he left early.

Pickens may be a bigger play threat, but Diontae still looks good as well. I don’t think Pickens will get enough volume to be consistent unless Diontae is out again.

Pickens is still on pace for over 1000 yards at 22, in a bad offense with a bad QB. He's a RZ threat. He's a guy I'd like to have, in my flex, and more for the future. He's getting open but the offense is the main concern, always was for me. If KC had drafted him, he'd likely be putting up 1300 yards this year.

He's still super young, and he's a legit NFL WR. A lot can happen in a few years. He's not going to hit his ceiling in this offense, with this QB play, but have to bet on the talent, IMO. It's there.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:53 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:21 pm
frerichs5 wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:07 pm How’s everyone feeling about Pickens right now? Quite a few people thought he’d take over as WR1 from Diontae this year. That hasn’t happened. In 4 games played together this year, Diontae has out targeted him 35 to 25, and that is including the entire game one he left early.

Pickens is still on pace for over 1000 yards at 22, in a bad offense with a bad QB. He's a RZ threat. He's a guy I'd like to have, in my flex, and more for the future. He's getting open but the offense is the main concern, always was for me. If KC had drafted him, he'd likely be putting up 1300 yards this year.

He's still super young, and he's a legit NFL WR. A lot can happen in a few years. He's not going to hit his ceiling in this offense, with this QB play, but have to bet on the talent, IMO. It's there.
I will not stand for this Pickett slander. That “bad qb” has led the Steelers to a stellar 5-3 record.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:09 pm

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:53 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:21 pm

I will not stand for this Pickett slander. That “bad qb” has led the Steelers to a stellar 5-3 record.
I have no argument for this. You're right, I concede.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Fri Nov 03, 2023 4:00 am

Diontae is just a better route runner. He's one of the best in league at getting open in the short and intermediate space so I'm not sure it's fair to expect Pickens to overtake him there. Pickens is a big play, downfield threat and makes some beautiful contested catches. I'd be happy with either of them on my fantasy teams, despite Matt Canada's dreadful offensive scheme.
Last edited by CGW on Fri Nov 03, 2023 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby killer_of_giants » Fri Nov 03, 2023 4:01 am

nice toe-drag. oh wait!

lic217
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby lic217 » Fri Nov 03, 2023 4:21 am

I thought pickens was a great value in the rookie draft, but once his value went up this summer, I moved him. I actually have a lower grade on him now than I did when he came out. I think he really struggles to get separation, and therefore will never be a high target guy. Johnson gets more separation. I would expect he continues to get more targets than Pickins.

MacDaddy123
MVP
MVP

Postby MacDaddy123 » Fri Nov 03, 2023 10:07 am

Not feeling horrible about trading Pickens away in a package for Justin Herbert in a SF league right now.
I still think he has a decent career, but I do not see him developing into a Davante Adams type WR.

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:36 am

I was never a big Pickens guy. He's a one-trick pony, albeit he does that one trick well.
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco Stidham
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Sutton, Downs, Mims, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Goedert, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.06

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Fri Nov 03, 2023 12:41 pm

Pickens just scrubbed his IG of everything Steelers and unfollowed them. Posted something saying "free me" on his stories.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Fri Nov 03, 2023 12:43 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 12:41 pm Pickens just scrubbed his IG of everything Steelers and unfollowed them. Posted something saying "free me" on his stories.
Smart move after the trade deadline

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Fri Nov 03, 2023 12:51 pm

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:53 pm I will not stand for this Pickett slander. That “bad qb” has led the Steelers to a stellar 5-3 record.
I know you're memeing, but why not.

The Steelers are the only team in the Super Bowl era to have a winning record through 8 games despite being outgained in every game.

The Steelers are 5-3 and if you flipped the result of every one-score game they’d be 0-8.

A humble reminder: success in one-score games is exactly what made us think the 2022 Giants and 2022 Vikings might be good.

(They were not)

Fun story and all, but this team will go nowhere fast against any serious playoff team - if they even make it there. Look no further than them getting boat-raced by the 49ers and losing by 24 to the Texans.

:whistle:

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby killer_of_giants » Fri Nov 03, 2023 1:18 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 12:41 pm Pickens just scrubbed his IG of everything Steelers and unfollowed them. Posted something saying "free me" on his stories.
free him from the helium in his cleats?

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Fri Nov 03, 2023 2:04 pm

CGW wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 4:00 am

Diontae is just a better route runner. He's one of the best in league at getting open in the short and intermediate space so I'm not sure it's fair to expect Pickens to overtake him there. Pickens is a big play, downfield threat and makes some beautiful contested catches. I'd be happy with either of them on my fantasy teams, despite Matt Canada's dreadful offensive scheme.
Diontae is one of the most underrated receivers in the NFL.

He'd absolutely explode with better QB play. 100% in agreement that Pickens not being able to usurp him shouldn't be looked at as a negative.

Both of these are good receivers that you'd want on your fantasy team. We might be approaching buy low territory for Pickens if he's able to force himself out of this situation. Pickett is a liability and unfortunately he's winning games on the back of this defense which means we're likely to see him for longer than most would want.

Maybe he develops into a QB that at doesn't throttle his receivers but given his average tools I don't expect a lot of improvement. His accuracy leaves a lot to be desired; Especially given his lack of elite tools to build on. :pray:

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Fri Nov 03, 2023 7:04 pm

I think the last player to do this after a WIN was Elijah Moore. Things are going swell for him.