SF in 2024 - QB value now?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
ProfPoobah
Role Player
Role Player

SF in 2024 - QB value now?

Postby ProfPoobah » Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:29 pm

I was wondering if anyone has transitioned from a 1QB league to a SF league, and could speak to how the value of QBs changed in the interim.

Team 1 in my sig is moving to a SF league in 2024, and I'm wondering if that fact is going to elevate the QBs picked this year. In 2021, Lawrence was considered a reach by some in the league when he went #4 overall, Lance and Fields were mid-2nd rounders, and Wilson and Jones went in the 3rd round. In 2020, Burrow was first off the board at #18 overall. I would have said that a more robust class of QBs would be farther up the board, obviously, but where are these guys going if we don't need a 2nd QB for 2 years?

I'm hoping Pickett goes in the first 8 picks, because I don't want to have to consider him at #9. I'd be less miserable with him in the mid-2nd, but I don't want one of the other QBs there. Wouldn't hate taking one with one of my 3rd-round picks. But will they be there?
Team 1 - 10-Team SF Full PPR - QB/2RB/2WR/TE/SF/3FLEX
QB - Jackson/Fields/Prescott/Garoppolo/Brissett/Lance
RB - Bijan/Breece/Stevenson/Foreman/Kelley/Hull/DJackson
WR - Chase/AJBrown/Wilson/Nucua/DJohnson/EMoore/Chark/DRobinson
TE - LaPorta/McBride/Fant
TAXI - Levis/Shaheed/Perry/Scott/Iosivas/CJones/Dulcich/Kraft/Likely/DAllen
2024 - 1.08, 2.02, 4.01
2025 - 1, 2, 3, 4, 4
2026 - 1, 2, 3, 4

Team 2 - 12-Team SF Full PPR - TE .5 Prem - QB/RB/2WR/SF/4FLEX
QB - Jackson/Goff/Murray/Brissett/Winston/ZWilson
RB - KWilliams/Swift/AJones/Stevenson/Dowdle
WR - Chase/Waddle/Metcalf/Higgins/Juju
TE - Andrews/JJohnson
TAXI - Hooker/RJohnson/Chandler/Iosivas/JWoods
IR -
2024 - 1.05, 1.08, 3.06, 3.07, 4.05
2025 - 1,2,2,3,3,4
2026 - 2,3,4

Mjvb5
Legend
Legend

Re: SF in 2024 - QB value now?

Postby Mjvb5 » Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:05 pm

I feel like with a 2 year window this will really come down to contenders vs rebuilders.
If my team isnt currently in contention ill be heavuly investing in younger qbs who should see an exponential value rise and raking them a tier or so under there projections in standard SF.
If im contending im capitalizing on this factor and cashing in qbs to grab more pieces to win now and deal with that later as most contending rosters only operate in a 2-3 year window anyway

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:13 pm

If I was in league that transitioned to SF, I would immediately place higher values on QBs, even if it was 2-3 years out. Gotta stay ahead of the curve

qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
Captain
Captain

Postby qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj » Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:48 am

Jigga94 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:13 pm If I was in league that transitioned to SF, I would immediately place higher values on QBs, even if it was 2-3 years out. Gotta stay ahead of the curve
This 100%. One of the reasons qbs are so valuable in SF is not just the amount of points they score, but also the length of career at least the good ones guarantee. 2 years should mean very little for a player like Mahomes or Herbert, or really most above average starting qbs, while it can be an entire career for say a middle of the line rb.

Start hoarding qbs immediately, even if it means paying a bit more now than you think they are currently worth. In 1.5 years at the latest their values will explode and you will reap the benefits of looking ahead.

dustyroads
Starter
Starter

Postby dustyroads » Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:16 am

And this is why my own dynasty league transitioning to SF had/has a lot of rules attached to how we go about it lol....

I'll just echo what everyone else said. QB value explodes moving to SF, it also greatly shifts the value of rookie picks (as it becomes the primary way to acquire new ones without mortgaging your current roster/future via draft picks).

For your team specifically, you are already carrying 4 QBs so I'm not sure how many more your roster can accept and remain competitive. Stafford and Carr are a soild tandem, though on the older side. I'd immediately check and see who else is available via FA/waivers as they will be cheapest right now. Probably look into trading Wentz to the SF transition hype, or wait till midseason and hope you can get a decent return for him, and likely cut Love to make space to pickup a FA/waiver QB or one that you draft.

Pickett at 9 I think is about his current value in SF rookie drafts, and I would love him there. I'm also a Steelers fan though lol, so rose colored glasses apply. If you aren't a Pickett guy, I'd look to trade that pick and get into the '23 first. It is projected to be a good QB class with Stroud, Young, and Levis and I'm sure another couple will pop up. Also supposed to be a really good RB class which may help get a little extra value out of a few QBs being pushed down in favor of RBs.

A lot will depend on how much your league realizes moving to SF changes things. If they are slow to adjust, you can capitalize big time and roll into the transition set up really, really well. No matter what, make sure you have at least 4 QBs rostered rolling into the transition, and put an emphasis on making sure they are all starters, and if not, then young high upside QB with a clear path to start. Also, try to acquire future 1st rounders. While they are always expensive, feels they get much more so in SF. Late 1sts especially, where if you are solid at QB, you can get RBs/WRs who are getting pushed down by QBs going early to the needy teams.

ProfPoobah
Role Player
Role Player

Postby ProfPoobah » Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:44 am

dustyroads wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:16 am And this is why my own dynasty league transitioning to SF had/has a lot of rules attached to how we go about it lol....

I'll just echo what everyone else said. QB value explodes moving to SF, it also greatly shifts the value of rookie picks (as it becomes the primary way to acquire new ones without mortgaging your current roster/future via draft picks).

For your team specifically, you are already carrying 4 QBs so I'm not sure how many more your roster can accept and remain competitive. Stafford and Carr are a soild tandem, though on the older side. I'd immediately check and see who else is available via FA/waivers as they will be cheapest right now. Probably look into trading Wentz to the SF transition hype, or wait till midseason and hope you can get a decent return for him, and likely cut Love to make space to pickup a FA/waiver QB or one that you draft.

Pickett at 9 I think is about his current value in SF rookie drafts, and I would love him there. I'm also a Steelers fan though lol, so rose colored glasses apply. If you aren't a Pickett guy, I'd look to trade that pick and get into the '23 first. It is projected to be a good QB class with Stroud, Young, and Levis and I'm sure another couple will pop up. Also supposed to be a really good RB class which may help get a little extra value out of a few QBs being pushed down in favor of RBs.

A lot will depend on how much your league realizes moving to SF changes things. If they are slow to adjust, you can capitalize big time and roll into the transition set up really, really well. No matter what, make sure you have at least 4 QBs rostered rolling into the transition, and put an emphasis on making sure they are all starters, and if not, then young high upside QB with a clear path to start. Also, try to acquire future 1st rounders. While they are always expensive, feels they get much more so in SF. Late 1sts especially, where if you are solid at QB, you can get RBs/WRs who are getting pushed down by QBs going early to the needy teams.
I'm grateful for everyone's answer so far, copying this one because it is most recent and has several of the points you all have given rolled up together.

I am a rebuilder, and have put Stafford on the trading block. Much amazement for it, no real action yet. I think he's probably a midseason move if anything. I like Carr as a hold (barring an overpay offer) because of his age and low-end #1 QB potential.

The remaining QBs on the wire are, in order of potential usability 2 years from now (I think): Lock, Huntley, Bridgewater, Brissett, and T. Taylor, followed by the backups in high-octane offenses. So there's not a lot there to stash.

I'm waiting on trading Wentz, because I put him on the trading block and got quite the derisive responses. We're in VA/NC, so there's Commanders fans in the league, and I'm hoping a good game from him somewhere, or injuries elsewhere, gets me some traction.

No one is moving those 2023 1sts right now. I have an extra 2nd, 4th and 5th so far. Hoping the board on draft day may inspire someone to offer future picks, as I'm the major share holder of picks in the 2nd/3rd round area. I may take your advice and start shopping the 1.09 pick, but I was also hoping Williams/Olave/Moore would still be there with the pick (another reason I wanted Pickett to go top 8).

*sigh* Jordan Love was, I thought, such a smart pickup around this time last year. And then, no. At some point, I'll give up there. :wall:

As far as current under-the-radar QBs go, do y'all think Jameis Winston has a career path that could have him as a potential starter in 2024? He's only 28, and we know he can be a fantasy-friendly starter.
2024 - 1.08, 2.02, 4.01
2025 - 1, 2, 3, 4, 4
2026 - 1, 2, 3, 4

TE - Andrews/JJohnson
IR -
2025 - 1,2,2,3,3,4
2026 - 2,3,4

SteelLake
Starter
Starter

Postby SteelLake » Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:06 am

I was in a league that did this. I instantly put higher value on qb, and pretty quickly acquired Andrew Luck and Carson Wentz for what should have been super flex steals.

So that was fun.
Drew Christopher Brees Football Squad
Dynasty League (10 team)
2013-Present (11 years)
2017, 2022 Champion
8 playoff appearances
Record: 95-61

Keenan Alexander Allen Football Squad
Contract League (12 teams)
2015-Present (8 years)
2022, 2023 Champion
8 Playoff appearances
Record: 84-42

Dar's Outcasts
Redraft league (8-10 teams)
2020- Present (4 years)
2023 Champion
4 Playoff appearances
Record: 41-16

zaner75
Captain
Captain

Postby zaner75 » Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:29 am

As you've decided on a rebuilder path, I would be looking to make future thinking moves, especially in regards to the QB position. I would look to the 21 class to see if you can acquire Lance, Fields, Z Wilson for cheap now as they have the potential to be in the QB1 conversation rather than just QB2s if they have a decent season. Thinking a position player with production may get a trade done in-season.
Since the transition is not until 24, I would also look into taking 23 rookie QBs (with 1st round NFL draft pedigree) if your league lets them fall into the 2nd/3rd like a typical 1QB draft, so I would also be looking to acquire those types of picks in any deals.
Huntley is a high-upside backup that is worth stashing imo. Could take over in BAL if the Jackson situation goes sideways or find a starting role for another team.

ProfPoobah
Role Player
Role Player

Postby ProfPoobah » Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:41 pm

zaner75 wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:29 am As you've decided on a rebuilder path, I would be looking to make future thinking moves, especially in regards to the QB position. I would look to the 21 class to see if you can acquire Lance, Fields, Z Wilson for cheap now as they have the potential to be in the QB1 conversation rather than just QB2s if they have a decent season. Thinking a position player with production may get a trade done in-season.
Since the transition is not until 24, I would also look into taking 23 rookie QBs (with 1st round NFL draft pedigree) if your league lets them fall into the 2nd/3rd like a typical 1QB draft, so I would also be looking to acquire those types of picks in any deals.
Huntley is a high-upside backup that is worth stashing imo. Could take over in BAL if the Jackson situation goes sideways or find a starting role for another team.
Lance is not for sale (tried already to get him), and the Fields owner is a serial trade rapist who wants two 1st round picks for him (as of last week, anyway). Wilson, I just checked, is owned by the same guy. :(

This does lead me more strongly in the direction of someone like Huntley. Or Lock. Or maybe to hold Love. Or maybe more than one of the above... Or....
2024 - 1.08, 2.02, 4.01
2025 - 1, 2, 3, 4, 4
2026 - 1, 2, 3, 4

TE - Andrews/JJohnson
IR -
2025 - 1,2,2,3,3,4
2026 - 2,3,4

honcho55
All Pro
All Pro

Postby honcho55 » Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:53 pm

2 1sts for fields isn’t outrageous at all in SF.

If actual QBs are out of price range, start grabbing picks. 2024s even, if you league allows it.

I’ve expanded to SF twice, both times practically announcing I was gonna hoard QBs, and the teams that didn’t will regret it. Generally as a whole, the league still undervalues them, even in to the first year or two *after*

Start grabbing em, thank us later
main league, half PPR, all TDs 6, -3 for INT
12 team. 2019 champ, 2020 runner up, ‘21 3rd
start 2SF, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2WRT

QB: T Lawrence, K Cousins, R Wilson, Z Wilson
RB: K Walker, T Ettiene, JK Dobbins, D Gore, J Hasty, D Johnson, L Rountree
WR: JJ, AJB, A Cooper, Juju, C Kirk, J Dotson, N Westbrook-Ikhine, I McKenzie
TE. T Kelce, Pitts, Albert O, D Parham, J O’Shaunessy

1.03, 1.11, 2.02, 2.09
Extra 24 1st