James Cook

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
remedy29
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: James Cook

Postby remedy29 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:53 am

James Cook actual weight, when weighed at the combine was 199 lbs.

Stating in general that James Cook is not the style of player you'd spend a 1st round rookie pick is largely irrelevant. The only thing relevant is would you spend a 2022 1st round pick, more specifically a late first round pick consistent with rookie ADP.

So what about Sky Moore, Watson, Dotson, Pickens, Rachaad White make them an obvious choice over James Cook?

And if you think he should be a mid to late 2nd round pick, then there are a bunch more lower quality players you'd have to rank over Cook. Cook who has the position scarcity, draft capital, PPR fantasy profile for success and top team offense he landed in.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:56 am

remedy29 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:53 am James Cook actual weight, when weighed at the combine was 199 lbs.

Stating in general that James Cook is not the style of player you'd spend a 1st round rookie pick is largely irrelevant. The only thing relevant is would you spend a 2022 1st round pick, more specifically a late first round pick consistent with rookie ADP.

So what about Sky Moore, Watson, Dotson, Pickens, Rachaad White make them an obvious choice over James Cook?

And if you think he should be a mid to late 2nd round pick, then there are a bunch more lower quality players you'd have to rank over Cook. Cook who has the position scarcity, draft capital, PPR fantasy profile for success and top team offense he landed in.
He's 199 in my notes, but that still doesn't give him a favorable BMI. I prefer R White to Cook. It's not all about BMI though. I see similar athletes and both are great pass catchers. However, I see one that can maintain balance and break tackles a bit better than the other. I also like Whites production a lot more. He was the leading rusher and 2nd best receiver at ASU his final year (accounted for 18% rec yards). He also led the team in both rushing/rec in 2020s shortened year. Cook on the other hand was playing 2nd fiddle his entire career and almost had 10% of his teams rec yards his final year. Obviously UGA is a much more stacked team and they've employed a RBBC for a long time now. But that also means that Cook had a lot more running room, at least to my amateur eyes lol

I find it funny when I see everyone arguing about Cook and his role in the NFL. Whether or not he can run between tackles, etc... what I know is that in college he was in a committe and played his role well. Can he become a workhorse? I doubt it as he does not profile as one, at all. So give me the player who I see has the higher ceiling and can be used in both parts of the offense. If Cook becomes a solid rusher in the NFL, I'd be pretty surprised.

As for the WR, its tough to compare to RB, but I prefer Skyy and Watson to him. Think I'd take Cook over Dotson and Pickens though but it's close.

All in all, Cook is still around 1.11 for me, Im not against drafting him in the first. I'm probably not high enough on him to actually draft him anywhere, but I'm fine with someone else reaching ahead of me and dropping someone else down to me.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:32 am

Still waiting on those that are huge BMI advocates, even though it changes with every single lb, to provide ANY proof it means ANYTHING as it relates to success or a reduction in injuries.

I get BMI sounds like a thing to many of you as something magical but to date no one has proven anything in supporting that opinion other than it is just important.

In fact if you go research injuries related to a BMI number coloration you might be quite surprised.

I get not liking a player 3lbs lighter than CMC when he joined the league but BMI seems to be purely an opinion based position, not some proven metric.

BTW, Cook's BMI actually puts him in the marginally overweight range if one wants to get technical since we are dealing in the great myth of BMI.

Look it up!
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:46 am

Jigga94 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:56 am
He's 199 in my notes, but that still doesn't give him a favorable BMI. I prefer R White to Cook. It's not all about BMI though. I see similar athletes and both are great pass catchers. However, I see one that can maintain balance and break tackles a bit better than the other. I also like Whites production a lot more. He was the leading rusher and 2nd best receiver at ASU his final year (accounted for 18% rec yards). He also led the team in both rushing/rec in 2020s shortened year. Cook on the other hand was playing 2nd fiddle his entire career and almost had 10% of his teams rec yards his final year. Obviously UGA is a much more stacked team and they've employed a RBBC for a long time now. But that also means that Cook had a lot more running room, at least to my amateur eyes lol

I find it funny when I see everyone arguing about Cook and his role in the NFL. Whether or not he can run between tackles, etc... what I know is that in college he was in a committe and played his role well. Can he become a workhorse? I doubt it as he does not profile as one, at all. So give me the player who I see has the higher ceiling and can be used in both parts of the offense. If Cook becomes a solid rusher in the NFL, I'd be pretty surprised.

As for the WR, its tough to compare to RB, but I prefer Skyy and Watson to him. Think I'd take Cook over Dotson and Pickens though but it's close.

All in all, Cook is still around 1.11 for me, Im not against drafting him in the first. I'm probably not high enough on him to actually draft him anywhere, but I'm fine with someone else reaching ahead of me and dropping someone else down to me.
Good Post.

I actually took him over Dotson and Pickens myself and had all 3 rated very close together. Skyy in this draft went 1.5 and Watson 1.7 so they were not options but I actually wanted Watson in this draft at 1.8.

I agree with the ranking assessment but also know this year there is a lot of very good talent ranked so close most could throw a blanket over them and cover all in that range.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:22 am

Ice wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:32 am BTW, Cook's BMI actually puts him in the marginally overweight range if one wants to get technical since we are dealing in the great myth of BMI.

Look it up!
Pretty much everyone is overweight in regards to NFL players and BMI. I believe obese is 30+ and a lot of RB land on the obese side of 30 (Hall and Walker for example). BMI is ok in terms of how it's used for regular people and flawed for these insane athletes.

Now, it does matter but I'm not filtering players by BMI, making an arbitrary line and saying that's it! Can't draft these guys.

It is a nice tool in the shed though and Cooks BMI (27.8) is lower than most RB. Sure there's some outliers, CMC 3 lbs heavier, Jamaal Charles identical measurements, Ekeler 28.0. I don't see him on that level of talent though so its hard for me to say yes he will succeed despite his size.

We know comparing him to Breece and Walker isn't fair, but they are top athletes while also carrying around much more mass. That matters in the NFL. I worry if Cook were to bulk up to meet whatever BMI people think is the cutoff, that he loses athleticism. If he stays at the same weight, I struggle to see him being a workhorse. Is he worth a late 1st still despite alllll of that? Yes

ColdZealDonkeyStrike
MVP
MVP

Postby ColdZealDonkeyStrike » Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:56 am

Jigga94 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:56 am [
Counterpoint: have you seen those pac12 run defenses?
My biggest takeaway watching Rachaad is that Lew Nichols III from the MAC might have faced tougher run defenses. :lol:
Dynasty player since 2002.
I probably should have done something more productive with that time...

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:16 am

ColdZealDonkeyStrike wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:56 am
Jigga94 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:56 am [
Counterpoint: have you seen those pac12 run defenses?
My biggest takeaway watching Rachaad is that Lew Nichols III from the MAC might have faced tougher run defenses. :lol:
Hahaha and it's a great counterpoint. It's always been tough for me to compare players production from different conferences because the talent level is different across the board. Even teams in the same conference have clear winners and losers each year.

Obviously I'd rather see a SEC RB that dominates vs similarly talented teams like Bama, UGA, etc... instead of the PAC12 RB that dominates similarly talented teams. Key word being production is even.

That said, UGA was dominant last year and Cooks production was ok, not great. He disappeared in games at times

ASU was a middle of the road PAC12 team and Whites production was great imo.

So, I give the edge to White. He was playing vs lesser defenses, but its not like ASU is SEC level either and steamrolling everyone else. Whereas, there were maybe just a handful of games for UGA that they werent the clear cut favorite.

There's really no definitive answer here but I still think Whites profile translates better to the NFL even though Cook was playing in the better conference.

remedy29
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby remedy29 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:24 am

My comment about the weight before was it was mentioned just a few post ago that every where you look James Cook weight is listed at 190. Ignoring the time when he was actually weighed, recorded at the NFL combine, and the weight was 199. :wall:

Also, in a good strong draft class with a few QBs drafted round 1, 3 to 4 RBs with good rookie profiles, and a handful of WRs worthy of 1st round draft grade, James Cook would fall short of being a 1st rounder. But in 2022, James Cook is firmly in the conversation of rookie picks after 1.08 or so.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:52 am

remedy29 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:24 am Also, in a good strong draft class with a few QBs drafted round 1, 3 to 4 RBs with good rookie profiles, and a handful of WRs worthy of 1st round draft grade, James Cook would fall short of being a 1st rounder. But in 2022, James Cook is firmly in the conversation of rookie picks after 1.08 or so.
Yup, just looking at last year he's definitely behind
All 5 QB in SF
Harris, ETN, Javonte
Chase, Smith, Waddle, Bateman
Pitts.

So 2.02 at best and that's not counting Sermon, Carter, E Moore, Marshall, Toney

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:43 am

I can’t find one source that says 199 lbs for Cook. Literally every thing I find says 190 lbs. I’m not doubting that someone here saw it. Can it be shared?
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

frerichs5
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby frerichs5 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:49 am

JFever wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:43 am I can’t find one source that says 199 lbs for Cook. Literally every thing I find says 190 lbs. I’m not doubting that someone here saw it. Can it be shared?
First place I checked.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/james-coo ... 75c819187c

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:14 am

frerichs5 wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:49 am
JFever wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:43 am I can’t find one source that says 199 lbs for Cook. Literally every thing I find says 190 lbs. I’m not doubting that someone here saw it. Can it be shared?
First place I checked.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/james-coo ... 75c819187c
https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/james-cook/

I see sports ref and ESPN have him at 190. But they just use whatever is given to them when they are in college and not sure they ever care to update. Kinda funny though because normally players are listed 1-2 inches taller and 10-15 lbs heavier. Cook actually weighed in higher at the combine than what was listed

JoeJoe88
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby JoeJoe88 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:40 am

remedy29 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:24 am My comment about the weight before was it was mentioned just a few post ago that every where you look James Cook weight is listed at 190. Ignoring the time when he was actually weighed, recorded at the NFL combine, and the weight was 199. :wall:

Also, in a good strong draft class with a few QBs drafted round 1, 3 to 4 RBs with good rookie profiles, and a handful of WRs worthy of 1st round draft grade, James Cook would fall short of being a 1st rounder. But in 2022, James Cook is firmly in the conversation of rookie picks after 1.08 or so.
This. James Cook would be a late 2nd in next years class.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:11 am

JoeJoe88 wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:40 am
remedy29 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:24 am My comment about the weight before was it was mentioned just a few post ago that every where you look James Cook weight is listed at 190. Ignoring the time when he was actually weighed, recorded at the NFL combine, and the weight was 199. :wall:

Pure Speculation.

As an exercise, please list the 21 players that will be drafted ahead of him next season in a standard 12 team PPr league. ....Should be interesting.

JoeJoe88
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby JoeJoe88 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:35 am

Ice wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:11 am
JoeJoe88 wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:40 am

Pure Speculation.

As an exercise, please list the 21 players that will be drafted ahead of him next season in a standard 12 team PPr league. ....Should be interesting.
He would’ve been a mid-2nd in this years weak class had it not been one of the worst QB classes we’ve ever seen. Early projections for next years draft are forecasting 5-6 1st round QB’s. Add Bijan, Gibbs, Evans, Tucker, Tank, Achane, Vaughn, JSN, Boutee, Addison, Downs, Johnson, Mims, Mayer. That’s off the top of my head.