General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Ice
Legend
Legend

Re: James Cook

Postby Ice » Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:25 pm

murphysxm wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:54 pm
remedy29 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:43 pm
Has a second round drafted RB ever been so disregarded in dynasty rookie drafts???
In the last 10 years, these RB's were the 3rd RB taken (as was James Cook) in their class:

Darrell Henderson
Sony Michel
Kenyon Drake
TJ Yeldon

Add the next 3 years and you get Carlos Hyde, Montee Ball and David Wilson.

Draft capital does not make a player good at the next level. PERIOD. Just gives them more rope to hang themselves if they aren't the guy
Get balanced and now go list the 2nd round RB success stories.

Now you’re using words like angry when describing Dalvin.

He avoided contact when possible but actually sinks his hips and lead shoulder exactly like James right before contact.

Of course Dalvin is bigger that was never the point.

It is rare to see so much one sided disdain for a very explosive player who averaged 7.2 yards per touch and 11 TD’s /1012 yards on a championship team.

Time will tell.
Last edited by Ice on Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:25 pm

remedy29 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:43 pm So the 13th drafted WR, from a small school, is obviously a better prospect than the 3rd RB drafted by a team who targeted him in the second round?

That sounds completely illogical.

Has a second round drafted RB ever been so disregarded in dynasty rookie drafts???
This was a very strong WR class. 13 WRs were drafted in the first two rounds, which is up there for the most ever. This was a 2-man RB class and overall a weak group. No first rounders, only 3 went in the Top 64.

It's not that I'm saying Cook sucks; I'm saying that I wouldn't pass on an extremely productive WR to draft a complimentary RB who doesn't have a history of being anything more and his athletic profile is just ok.

To pass on Moore or Pickens for a RB, I need someone who at least has a decent chance of being a lead back and has done it before.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:56 pm

remedy29 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:43 pm So the 13th drafted WR, from a small school, is obviously a better prospect than the 3rd RB drafted by a team who targeted him in the second round?

Have you always evaluated RB's vs. WR's - or even just players in general - purely on draft capital? Or is that just a recent thing.

There's more to it than "where they were picked" - especially if you are crossing the position river. Plenty of decent fantasy minds around here can show you why Skyy Moore has a chance to be -very- good. It's your prerogative to ignore that for a time-share undersized receiving back with a questionable production profile, naturally.

JoeJoe88
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby JoeJoe88 » Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:16 pm

This was also a very deep WR class and a very weak running back class. I mean, it’s essentially Breece and Walker and then a HUGE gap to everyone else. If Cook were in next years crop of tailbacks I seriously doubt he’d be anywhere near the 3rd back off the board.

Menace2010
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Menace2010 » Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:51 am

Ice wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:25 pm
remedy29 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:43 pm
In the last 10 years, these RB's were the 3rd RB taken (as was James Cook) in their class:

Darrell Henderson
Sony Michel
Kenyon Drake
TJ Yeldon

Draft capital does not make a player good at the next level. PERIOD. Just gives them more rope to hang themselves if they aren't the guy

He avoided contact when possible but actually sinks his hips and lead shoulder exactly like James right before contact.

It is rare to see so much one sided disdain for a very explosive player who averaged 7.2 yards per touch and 11 TD’s /1012 yards on a championship team.

Time will tell.
Dalvin = 7.00 NFL Prospect Grade; 91 Elite Next Gen Stats; Declared after 3 Years with back-to-back seasons of 1,900 yards from scrimmage and 7 yard per touch and a combined rushing and receiving 20 (TWENTY) TDs in back-to-back years (48 total in 3 years).

vs.

James = 6.15 NFL Prospect Grade; 77 Good Next Gen Stats; Declared after 4 Years with one season over 1,000 yards from scrimmage and 7 yards per touch with 20 TDs in his ENTIRE career.

Yep, basically identical twins... I like J. Cook as a very late first or early second round prospect, but like others I think he's being pushed WAY up everyone's draft board because this draft class is weak at RB and positional scarcity.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:56 am

Menace2010 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:51 am

Darrell Henderson
Sony Michel
Kenyon Drake
TJ Yeldon

Time will tell.
Dalvin = 7.00 NFL Prospect Grade; 91 Elite Next Gen Stats; Declared after 3 Years with back-to-back seasons of 1,900 yards from scrimmage and 7 yard per touch and a combined rushing and receiving 20 (TWENTY) TDs in back-to-back years (48 total in 3 years).

vs.

James = 6.15 NFL Prospect Grade; 77 Good Next Gen Stats; Declared after 4 Years with one season over 1,000 yards from scrimmage and 7 yards per touch with 20 TDs in his ENTIRE career.

Yep, basically identical twins... I like J. Cook as a very late first or early second round prospect, but like others I think he's being pushed WAY up everyone's draft board because this draft class is weak at RB and positional scarcity.
I am starting to think that "Ice", is actually Mrs. Cook. :lol: :wink:

Sorry, Ice, I couldn't resist. :thumbup:
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Mild sauce goes in the trash. Well done steak goes with it.

Habaneros make the best hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:11 am

Menace2010 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:51 am

Darrell Henderson
Sony Michel
Kenyon Drake
TJ Yeldon

Time will tell.

vs.

Eventually the fantasy community will begin to catch up with how multiple scouts view players.

The key stat to focus on for potential is that 7 yard number. Not sure people realize combine scouting profile numbers are put together by a single scout looking at specific positions. It’s not pure science.

Cook is being discounted for being on a great team even though it was obvious and the stats showed in the title game he was the most dynamic player on the field.

Yet many in the fantasy community fall back on nonsense about weight or he wasn’t used enough by a specific college program

Not a single poster has ever provided a shred of a proof a 6ft 200 lb back can’t be a lead back or are more susceptible to injury. It’s simply a false narrative devoid of evidence for making those claims.

So what about 6’1 212, 6’2 210, 5.11 192, 5’10 200 are these sizes too small or frail?

Furthermore, discounting a player for staying in school an extra year to develop behind others at a great program means nothing other than he was pretty smart.

Surely no one really believes Cook the freshman sophomore version was beating out D. Swift. He did split time with White but it worked although Cook was better as a senior.

UGA is pretty well know for producing NFL ready RB’s.

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:00 am

remedy29 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:02 pm
Interesting. Is that a complete list or only the bad RBs?
Complete list of the 3rd running backs taken

2022 James Cook
2021 Javonte Williams
2020 Jonathon Taylor
2019 Darrell Henderson
2018 Sony Michel
2017 Dalvin Cook
2016 Kenyan Drake
2015 TJ Yeldon
2014 Carlos Hyde
2013 Montee Ball
2012 David Wilosn
2011 Shane Vereen
2010 Javhid Best
2009 Beanie Wells
2008 Felix JOnes
2007 Kenny Irons
2006 DeAngelo Williams
2005 JJ Arrington
2004 Kevin Jones
2003 Musa Smith
2002 DeShaun Foster
2001 Michael Bennet
2000 Ron Dayne
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:30 am

Everyone is putting way too many words into this, in my opinion. Cook is interesting, seems to have some talent, and is in a good situation. I wonder about how much of a workload he can handle, and while I like the tape, he really doesn't stand out that much. He's in the late 1/early 2 range. We'll see what happens when the season starts.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:33 am

murphysxm wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:00 am
remedy29 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:02 pm
Interesting. Is that a complete list or only the bad RBs?
Complete list of the 3rd running backs taken

2022 James Cook
2021 Javonte Williams
2020 Jonathon Taylor
2019 Darrell Henderson
2018 Sony Michel
2017 Dalvin Cook
2016 Kenyan Drake
2015 TJ Yeldon
2014 Carlos Hyde
2013 Montee Ball
2012 David Wilosn
2011 Shane Vereen
2010 Javhid Best
2009 Beanie Wells
2008 Felix JOnes
2007 Kenny Irons
2006 DeAngelo Williams
2005 JJ Arrington
2004 Kevin Jones
2003 Musa Smith
2002 DeShaun Foster
2001 Michael Bennet
2000 Ron Dayne
Thanks,
Pretty good List. The NFL seems to be getting better. All the backs since 2016 are still active in the league.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:24 am

dynastyninja wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:30 am Everyone is putting way too many words into this, in my opinion. Cook is interesting, seems to have some talent, and is in a good situation. I wonder about how much of a workload he can handle, and while I like the tape, he really doesn't stand out that much. He's in the late 1/early 2 range. We'll see what happens when the season starts.
Yup. If someone wants to buy into James Cook around pick 8 or something, then be my guest. I've already conceded that I won't have any shares of him. Comparing him to other RB selected 3rd in the draft is just silly lol

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:29 am

Most of those guys had careers. I don’t think the debate is whether he flames out, but rather the ability for him to be a high quality fantasy producer. As a good pass catcher in a good O he can. But, he isn’t a guy I see as a RB1 caliber player. He could put up a RB1 season, but he’s more of the Vereen type than a guy who will get regular workload and goal line opportunity. He’s more CEH than Kamara/CMC (not elite talent, and more situation).

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:35 am

Jigga94 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:24 am Comparing him to other RB selected 3rd in the draft is just silly lol
I wasn't intending to compare him to the past players. It was more a demonstration that "draft capital" "being the 3rd RB chosen" means very little in lots of cases. Very few of the backs listed earned a first round rookie pick from a fantasy perspective.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:49 am

murphysxm wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:35 am
Jigga94 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:24 am Comparing him to other RB selected 3rd in the draft is just silly lol
I wasn't intending to compare him to the past players. It was more a demonstration that "draft capital" "being the 3rd RB chosen" means very little in lots of cases. Very few of the backs listed earned a first round rookie pick from a fantasy perspective.
That’s a function of just how competitive the NFL is at each position.

People don’t have a clue about Skyy Moore or Pickens as an example either. They think they know but they certainly are not considered can’t miss prospects.

I remember a bunch of us liked CEH situation just like people like Moore’s, or Pickens today.

My take is Cook has the clearest path to quality touches. He should get a ton of receptions and plenty of carries as a rookie.

That said, how any of them respond remains to be seen.

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:21 am

Ice wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:49 am
I remember a bunch of us liked CEH situation just like people like Moore’s, or Pickens today.

My take is Cook has the clearest path to quality touches. He should get a ton of receptions and plenty of carries as a rookie.
Are you saying that Cook has a clearer path to touches than Moore or Pickens? Production aside, I don't see this as even remotely possible.