Greg Dulcich - TE - Broncos (UCLA)

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Greg Dulcich - TE - Broncos (UCLA)

Postby Lumps » Thu May 26, 2022 8:10 am

Continuing to create threads of “my guys”, next up is Dulcich. Saw the post top 5 TEs thread and decided to make this, since I already did my drafts.

A former WR who walked on at UCLA added 40 pounds and switched to TE. Being a walk-on he has that underdog mentality and you can hear it when he talks. His personality is infectious, very confident individual, and is all in.

Here is all the discussion on Denver drafting him, and him going into the facility:

https://youtu.be/nTCrpZ2-xwM

He is a true downfield threat as evidenced by his huge YPC throughout college:
Dulcich made his name primarily as a big-play threat at UCLA, averaging nearly 20 yards per reception in 2020 and backing it up with 42 catches for 725 yards and five touchdowns last fall.
His WR skillset are on full display with routes, high pointing, and being truly elusive and bulldozing after the catch. When viewing Jelani Woods by comparison for instance, Woods goes down on the slightest contact.

People will say that Russell has never targeted TEs much but I would argue he hasn’t had anyone of Greg’s level aside from Graham. It’s debatable how much Jimmy was left in the tank by the time he hit Seattle though. Also, Hackett DEFINITELY showed usage of TEs at GB and Fant is gone. Everyone was on the Al O train but then Denver went and drafted Dulcich in the 3rd and didn’t think he would make it to them. The video above shows how highly they thought of him and Binitto.

Highlights: https://youtu.be/JMb0WOoWLHg

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: Greg Dulcich - TE - Broncos (UCLA)

Postby Space Cowboy » Thu May 26, 2022 8:48 am

Good thread, this guy is every bit as good as McBride, def better than Woods. He's a fluid athlete who works really well down the seam. I got him in round 3 of a TE premium (already have Albert O) so I'm happy about that.

His game vs USC or LSU I forget was the best singular TE game I saw out of any TE prospect this year. He went 8/120 I believe and made wow play after play through tight coverage.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Thu May 26, 2022 9:02 am

While I like both TE's on the Bronco's I won't be buying any. I am just not a fan of how Wilson uses TE's and don't believe he will really change his spots much.

Wilson Targets WR's. My guess is the Bronco's TE may get 13-15% of the targets between them.

I haven't really broken down Wilson's career with TE's but I target his WR's not TE's based on my eye test over the years.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Thu May 26, 2022 9:27 am

Ice wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 9:02 am While I like both TE's on the Bronco's I won't be buying any. I am just not a fan of how Wilson uses TE's and don't believe he will really change his spots much.

Wilson Targets WR's. My guess is the Bronco's TE may get 13-15% of the targets between them.

I haven't really broken down Wilson's career with TE's but I target his WR's not TE's based on my eye test over the years.

While I understand the sentiment, new team, new OC, new offense, better talent at TE. As mentioned above Dulcich WAS a WR and lined up out wide a LOT. Food for thought.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Thu May 26, 2022 12:15 pm

Ice wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 9:02 am While I like both TE's on the Bronco's I won't be buying any. I am just not a fan of how Wilson uses TE's and don't believe he will really change his spots much.

With Wilsons' TEs you're really looking more for TD opportunity.

You're right that he tends to target WRs more but he's very effective when he does target TEs and he tends to utilize them heavily in the redzone.

They'll have a capped ceiling given all of the weapons on this offense but if one of these guys can run away with the starting job there's potential for a 5-12 finish.

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Thu May 26, 2022 12:19 pm

Wilson's TEs (like all TEs that don't produce) haven't earned targets because they haven't been good enough to earn targets and his WRs have. That's really it--there's no concerted effort to not target TEs

When he has a TE good enough to earn targets over his WRs Jimmy Graham was solid in fantasy

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Thu May 26, 2022 12:31 pm

StripesOfKC wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 12:19 pm Wilson's TEs (like all TEs that don't produce) haven't earned targets because they haven't been good enough to earn targets and his WRs have. That's really it--there's no concerted effort to not target TEs

When he has a TE good enough to earn targets over his WRs Jimmy Graham was solid in fantasy
To some degree, I see what you're saying but certain QBs definitely favor TEs more than others. Derek Carr, Matt Ryan, Drew Brees, Philip Rivers, Marcus Mariota are all very good at working the seam or are averse to throwing outside which leads them to target the TEs that tend to operate over the middle of the field more.

Teddy Bridgewater for instance has consistently under targeted the TE position throughout his career. Elite TE talents, like Fant last year, will draw in targets regardless of this tendency but their opportunity will still be muted compared to a more TE friendly QB.

It's hard to tell which of these QBs Russ is given what little TE talent he's had to work with throughout his career.. but it's safe to say that he's not a QB that funnels targets to his TE even if they're mediocre talents.
Last edited by Sriracha on Thu May 26, 2022 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Thu May 26, 2022 12:48 pm

They also gave him Vannett, Dissly and I can't even remember who else. Gerald Everett had a nice season though.

YouMightDieTryin
MVP
MVP

Postby YouMightDieTryin » Thu May 26, 2022 1:04 pm

Jacob Hollister. He made those names actually decent for a few games. Give Russ some talent and it'll be interesting to see what he does with them.
10-Team Dynasty League QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/WR/FLEX (23 man rosters + 2 IR + 2 Taxi, non-PPR scoring)
QB: Herbert, Goff
RB: Bijan, JT, Saquon, J.Cook, K.Hunt, Foreman, Z.White, McKinnon, S.Tucker
WR: G.Wilson, Olave, Jeudy, Pittman, J.Williams, OBJ, N. Brown, JuJu,
TE: Chig, Conklin, L. Thomas
Taxi: M.Mims, Ro. Johnson
'24: (4) 1sts, 2nd, (2) 3rds, 4th
'25: (2) 1sts, 2nd, 3rd, 4th

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Fri May 27, 2022 1:13 pm

Sriracha wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 12:31 pm
StripesOfKC wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 12:19 pm Wilson's TEs (like all TEs that don't produce) haven't earned targets because they haven't been good enough to earn targets and his WRs have. That's really it--there's no concerted effort to not target TEs

To some degree, I see what you're saying but certain QBs definitely favor TEs more than others. Derek Carr, Matt Ryan, Drew Brees, Philip Rivers, Marcus Mariota are all very good at working the seam or are averse to throwing outside which leads them to target the TEs that tend to operate over the middle of the field more.

Teddy Bridgewater for instance has consistently under targeted the TE position throughout his career. Elite TE talents, like Fant last year, will draw in targets regardless of this tendency but their opportunity will still be muted compared to a more TE friendly QB.

It's hard to tell which of these QBs Russ is given what little TE talent he's had to work with throughout his career.. but it's safe to say that he's not a QB that funnels targets to his TE even if they're mediocre talents.
I have seen some data saying Russell can’t see the middle of the field. It makes sense with his height. But Dulcich on the outside gives me hope.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Fri May 27, 2022 1:18 pm

Lumps wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 1:13 pm
I have seen some data saying Russell can’t see the middle of the field. It makes sense with his height. But Dulcich on the outside gives me hope.
It's possible, but Brees isn't much taller.

cazzie33
All Pro
All Pro

Postby cazzie33 » Sat May 28, 2022 3:48 pm

Coordinator also has a or to do with who Is dialed up or intended receiver. Some prefer max protection keeping TE in to help block before getting into routes. Some prefer a slot wr over flexing te out in the slot .

Most QBs will go to the guys that they trust most to make plays but if off coordinator calls more plays for WRs downfield less emphasis on TEs finding soft spots or seam routes then so it goes. Hackett was a GB play action type so TE should be in the mix for Russ although nobody for Packers TEs has been a featured option. But it is a lot like San Fran where Kittle has thrived.

Seems that the talent @ wr in Denver isn’t going to leave much for TE to be top tier but a good enough Tonyan type year where TD dependent could crack top twelve @ position

Straycatz2
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Straycatz2 » Sun May 29, 2022 10:33 pm

Would you rather have Dulcich or Albert?

Edgy68
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Edgy68 » Mon May 30, 2022 8:46 pm

That IS a question I’d like to see debated. I’m in on Albert due to the athletic profile and the fact they let Fant go before they knew they would get Dulcich. I’d rather acquire both than to be left holding the wrong one when Russ gets a little more autonomy in his offense.
Wasteland
12-team, PPR 25 roster 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1(RB/WR/TE), 1 D/ST
QB J. Burrow, A. Richardson
RB J. Taylor, D. Henry, M. Sanders, B. Hall, T. Sermon, C. Patterson, P. Strong, K. Ingram, TDP, D. Achane, K. Miller, R. Johnson
WR AJ Brown, C. Ridley, J. Chase, C. Lamb, JSN, G. Pickens, K. Osborn, J. Meyers, A. Pierce, T. Scott
TE T. Kelce, D. Goedert, G. Dulcich, J. Woods
D/ST MIN, PIT, DEN

Panthers
12-team SF, .5 PPR 35 roster: 1QB, 1SF, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2FLEX, 2DB, 2LB, 2DL, 1FLEX
QB J. Burrow, A. Richardson, J. Winston, S. Howell
RB J. Mixon, E. Elliott, N. Chubb, J. Kelley, K. Harris, J. Ford
WR D. Hopkins, C. Godwin, T. Higgins, C. Ridley, J. Smith-Njigba, J. Mingo
TE T. Kelce, K. Pitts, Z. Ertz, D. Goedert, J. Ferguson
DB R. Grant, J. Simmons
DL D. Hunter, A. Highsmith, S. Hubbard
LB C. Mosley, A. Singleton, P. Queen, D. Deablo

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue May 31, 2022 12:00 am

Edgy68 wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 8:46 pm That IS a question I’d like to see debated. I’m in on Albert due to the athletic profile and the fact they let Fant go before they knew they would get Dulcich. I’d rather acquire both than to be left holding the wrong one when Russ gets a little more autonomy in his offense.
This has zero bearing on my view of it. Fant was "let go" in a deal that they went all in to get Russ with. The Broncos GM said he felt Fant was a foundational piece, but ultimately he had to move him to get the deal done. Regardless of how good a TE is, it's not going to stand in the way of acquiring a franchise QB. Even if the GM had zero faith in Albert O being a starting TE, he would have moved Fant to get Russ. In fact, you might say the fact they took Dulcich after moving Fant is an indictment of his view on Albert O, to play devil's advocate. Though the reality is they had a TE spot open up on their roster. I think it's probably wide open, as to who becomes the starter, and it could be situational. Cecil Lammey seems to think they may each have a separate role, as both have strengths and weaknesses in different areas, though he seemed to think Dulcich was looking better in OTA's (though it's still very early)
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick