Buy John Metchie

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Buy John Metchie

Postby dynastyninja » Sun May 08, 2022 7:30 am

It's a deep class, so there's a lot of guys. To me, Metchie stands out as the best value in the entire class (Dotson a close 2nd). He's got a few things going for him:

Talent - I get Jarvis Landry vibes from him in terms of how good and reliable he is (also being the 2nd option behind Williams like Landry and OBJ). He's faster than Landry and less tough, but his route running and dependability will earn him targets in the NFL. He profiles as a receiver who will get lots of receptions, and I think the yards per reception won't end up being that low, either.

Draft capital - I love early 2nd round RBs, and I think the same logic can be applied to Metchie here. Teams spending significant capital (early 2nd round picks) on guys usually means they place significant value in them and have immediate plans for them. Houston took him at 2.12, and I'm betting they plan to use him.

Situation - Houston is both a good and bad situation to me. I don't believe Davis Mills is franchise caliber, but there are still targets to be had with Cooks as the only other major receiving threat in that offense. Metchie should have a nice floor of receptions basically from day 1, and I think he compliments Cooks well.

Right now I have Metchie at 1.11 in my rankings, and he's really been an early- to mid-2nd in a lot of drafts I've seen. To me, he's the perfect target with an early 2nd and a guy who should pay dividends almost immediately. Grab him where you can.

Mjvb5
Legend
Legend

Re: Buy John Metchie

Postby Mjvb5 » Sun May 08, 2022 7:58 am

For me its not that I dont like Metchie its just that I prefer some of the other guys that typically go around the same spots as him.
Pierce, White, and Bell are my standard 3 early to mid 2nd targets

dhanks91
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby dhanks91 » Sun May 08, 2022 8:21 am

I think Metchie is a nice safe option. His ceiling is that of a WR3 for fantasy purposes but I think he has a good chance of hitting that ceiling. He runs good routes and faces little competition for targets early on. I just took him at 2.05 in a 14TM SF and I’m happy with that outcome.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Sun May 08, 2022 8:30 am

Metchie should be a legit professional.

I see potentially an above average slot receiver with WR2 upside on a fantasy and on a NFL team. I actually like Mills a lot and Cooks will draw the main coverage.

I have a fairly early 2nd round rookie draft grade on him but he could outperform that in a couple of years due to solid route running.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Sun May 08, 2022 1:09 pm

Don't forget about the ACL injury.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Mon May 09, 2022 8:49 am

dlf_mikeh wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 1:09 pm Don't forget about the ACL injury.
Teams don't care much about ACL injuries these days. He went mid 2nd round so it is obvious the Texans really like the player. Think they see him as slot starter the day he is able to go. He had 96 receptions prior to his injury.

His running mate Williamson had the same injury and went pretty high first round. Bad luck for those two but brighter days are ahead.

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Mon May 09, 2022 12:17 pm

He looks like a super reliable real life WR2 and a fantasy WR3. 1.11 is a slight stretch but top 16 for sure.

YouMightDieTryin
MVP
MVP

Postby YouMightDieTryin » Mon May 09, 2022 1:09 pm

Space Cowboy wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 12:17 pm He looks like a super reliable real life WR2 and a fantasy WR3. 1.11 is a slight stretch but top 16 for sure.
Brandin Cooks 2.0

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Mon May 09, 2022 7:33 pm

I'm not really sure why people think this guy is relegated to a gimmicky slot WR as a best case scenario. That's not really what he was at Bama, right? I didn't watch much of them but I didn't get that impression.
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Tue May 10, 2022 8:50 am

Vcize wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 7:33 pm I'm not really sure why people think this guy is relegated to a gimmicky slot WR as a best case scenario. That's not really what he was at Bama, right? I didn't watch much of them but I didn't get that impression.
Might suggest it is time to rethink your perception. Not just you but the Slot WR reality is morphing into something much different these days.

In today's NFL I certainly wouldn't the Slot WR Gimmicky. In fact it is where mulitple WR1's spend over 30% of their time.

Hill, Jefferson, Lamb, and Kupp to name a few. Kupp actually spends over 50% of time running out of the lot.

I target WR's that have significant slot ability these days.

I see this player with significant slot ability because he has an advanced route tree so it is more of a good thing IMO.

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:59 pm

Rotoworld reports that Metchie won't play this season. He has acute promyelocytic leukemia. A big downer for those who drafted him in the second round of rookie drafts.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:34 pm

Hopefully he can beat that and get back to football.

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:14 pm

Ice wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:34 pm Hopefully he can beat that and get back to football.
Please don't be that guy (Ice, not saying you here- agreeing with your post) that puts fantasy above health. Very curable, but still scary as hell. Get well young man
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:50 pm

murphysxm wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:14 pm
Ice wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:34 pm Hopefully he can beat that and get back to football.
Please don't be that guy (Ice, not saying you here- agreeing with your post) that puts fantasy above health. Very curable, but still scary as hell. Get well young man
Don’t be an idiot, there is nothing wrong with hoping a young man can beat an illness to get back to what he loves.

Who do you think you are anyway?

Bad form on your part and you suck at mind reading.

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Sun Jul 24, 2022 3:07 pm

Brutal news. The statement says it's the most curable form, so hopefully that holds true for him.