General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
mild
Legend
Legend

Re: Somewhat early 2024 Draft thread

Postby mild » Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:21 pm

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:02 pm
mild wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:36 pm
DJB wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:59 am Nabers ran a reported 4.34 at the LSU pro day

Further confirms to me that hes still my WR1

Edit he also has a
• Vertical jump: 42"
• Broad jump: 10'9"
FWIW his 40 looks a lot more like a 4.5 than a 4.34.

https://twitter.com/jacoblogginsnba/sta ... 20806?s=46

Doesn't change a thing, of course. The tape is the tape.
Seen someone else say 4.38-4.45, via the video. I think anything in that range is excellent. OBJ was a 4.43 for example. 4.50 is still perfectly fine but then we’re not talking about top end speed anymore.
Yeah, it ultimately doesn't matter - he is clearly blistering fast and ridiculously athletic (there's nothing subjective about those jump measurements, nor his stop-start that we see on tape)

If we really wanted to be accurate, the Combine would also go fully laser timed - but then times would probably be slower across the board, and where's the fun in that? But hey, at least the combine it's apples-to-apples between prospects, so you can at least roughly baseline.
Since 1999, the NFL has used partially electronic timing to determine 40-yard times at the combine. The start of the run is timed by hand, but the finish is recorded electronically using a laser "plane" that runs across the finish line.
Feels like we'll steadily move away from 40 times as meaning much in the future with the proliferation of the GPS game data anyway, as it becomes more available and mainstream.

Fully hand-timed 40's from Pro Days, of course, remain a total joke...

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:26 pm

mild wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:21 pm
Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:02 pm
mild wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:36 pm

FWIW his 40 looks a lot more like a 4.5 than a 4.34.

https://twitter.com/jacoblogginsnba/sta ... 20806?s=46

Doesn't change a thing, of course. The tape is the tape.
Seen someone else say 4.38-4.45, via the video. I think anything in that range is excellent. OBJ was a 4.43 for example. 4.50 is still perfectly fine but then we’re not talking about top end speed anymore.
Yeah, it ultimately doesn't matter - he is clearly blistering fast and ridiculously athletic (there's nothing subjective about those jump measurements, nor his stop-start that we see on tape)

If we really wanted to be accurate, the Combine would also go fully laser timed - but then times would probably be slower across the board, and where's the fun in that? But hey, at least the combine it's apples-to-apples between prospects, so you can at least roughly baseline.
Since 1999, the NFL has used partially electronic timing to determine 40-yard times at the combine. The start of the run is timed by hand, but the finish is recorded electronically using a laser "plane" that runs across the finish line.
Feels like we'll steadily move away from 40 times as meaning much in the future with the proliferation of the GPS game data anyway, as it becomes more available and mainstream.

Fully hand-timed 40's from Pro Days, of course, remain a total joke...
The combine does go back and adjust via the video though, I’m pretty sure. But yes, that’s why I like the combine. It might not be perfect but it’s apples to apples.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:31 pm

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:26 pm The combine does go back and adjust via the video though, I’m pretty sure. But yes, that’s why I like the combine. It might not be perfect but it’s apples to apples.
They do, but the fact remains. 8-)

If they really wanted to be fully accurate, they'd do it with laser timing on both ends... y'know, like how the rest of the athletic world does it.

They don't want to do that, because they still want some "control" over the final number. :thumbup:

Jrblaha
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Jrblaha » Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:07 pm

81- wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:53 pm We talking test drives? LoL.

Marvin is Marvin. I watched his entire career. Good size, good speed, good athleticism, good hands. Little stiff sometimes if we are knit picking. Good pick.

I would not complain 1 iota if he was on my roster.

Now I am talking myself into trading for him
If I’m buying a Lamborghini, which is what another person compared it to, I’d like to test drive it first lol.

I like him a lot too, I can’t get him in any leagues, but I can’t imagine people will be unhappy with him.

BabyChark23
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby BabyChark23 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:44 am

At this point, I’ve heard various experts, scouts, analysts, etc. all pump up Marvin, Nabers, and Odunze as the WR1 in this class. One says it’s Marvin, the other says Nabers, the next says Odunze. The three are so close that I’ll probably just go with best landing spot as the tie breaker (presumably Marvin to the Cardinals or Nabers to the Chargers). I doubt I’d regret picking any one of the three.

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:58 am

Jrblaha wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:07 pm

Marvin is Marvin. I watched his entire career. Good size, good speed, good athleticism, good hands. Little stiff sometimes if we are knit picking. Good pick.

If I’m buying a Lamborghini, which is what another person compared it to, I’d like to test drive it first lol.

I like him a lot too, I can’t get him in any leagues, but I can’t imagine people will be unhappy with him.
And how are combine events anywhere analogous to a test drive as opposed to loads of game film?

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:43 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:58 am

And how are combine events anywhere analogous to a test drive as opposed to loads of game film?
The test drive sounds like an Individual Workout. Combine is like going to the showroom

Jrblaha
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Jrblaha » Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:09 am

Jigga94 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:43 am
Bronco Billy wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:58 am

The test drive sounds like an Individual Workout. Combine is like going to the showroom
Yup yup

81-
Captain
Captain

Postby 81- » Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:15 am

I'd buy a new Ferrari without a test drive. Assuming a lottery win, my first stop would be the Ferrari dealer. Yes please
12 Team, 1QB, 3WR, 2RB, 1TE, 1Flex, D, K, 10 Bench
1PPR, 0.5 point per carry.
Burrow, Richardson
AJ Brown, DJMoore, G Wilson, T Higgens, Sutton, Tillman, Melton
King Henry, Bijan, Pacheco, Mixon, Ford, JK
Hockenson, Musgrave
Random Kicker
Niners

Picks in 2024 - #15, #22, #23, #27

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:33 am

Lumps wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:57 am
81- wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:45 am Wicker is going to have an all day chubby reading this

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2024/stor ... d-32-picks

I personally think the author is high as a kite. Not that there is anything wrong with that
The bigger thing is the AZ Kyler/JJ thing. Bananas.
Absolutely.
Say you're a Kyler hater without saying you're a Kyler hater.

Dude thinks the fourth chosen rookie QB is, TODAY, a better QB than an young all-pro veteran. Completely bonkers.

There's a reason he's not an NFL GM anymore.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, Levis
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JavonteWms, JFord, CEH
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, MWilliams, Q Johnston
TE: Goedert, Friermuth
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, AJD, Singletary, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:51 am

My two cents on the whole Nabers, MHJR, Odunze debate. All three appear to be pretty safe bets to be WR's we covet in real life and in fantasy. Measurements and numbers are not my first thing I look at and even less so when it is the top tiers of players. I see Marvin as the best WR based on what I have seen him put on tape. I will be taking him first. I expect him to be the 1st WR taken. Him skipping testing re-enforces my belief he thinks he is going to be the 1st WR taken so he has nothing to gain running. Hell, maybe he is afraid that NE will fall in love and he doesn't want to land there........
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

Jrblaha
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Jrblaha » Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:06 am

81- wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:15 am

I'd buy a new Ferrari without a test drive. Assuming a lottery win, my first stop would be the Ferrari dealer. Yes please
Haha. Depends on % of win money would be the car. I’m not spending most of my winnings on a car without driving it. What if I don’t fit, or it’s not comfortable, or fun to drive? If it’s only a small %, sure, who cares.

Shcritters
MVP
MVP

Postby Shcritters » Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:59 am

Jrblaha wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:06 am
81- wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:15 am

Haha. Depends on % of win money would be the car. I’m not spending most of my winnings on a car without driving it. What if I don’t fit, or it’s not comfortable, or fun to drive? If it’s only a small %, sure, who cares.
We've reached the point in the offseason where we're not debating players, but debating analogies used to describe said players.

We need the draft to come ASAP.
Gopher Two
PPR SF, WR & TE Premium (WR 1.2 PPR , TE 1.5 PPR), 10 total starters, 1 QB, 1SF, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex
QB: Mahomes, Prescott, Mayfield
RB: Hall, Pacheco, Jacobs, Connor, Chubb, Mattison
WR: Tyreek, AJ Brown, Flowers, CSutton, JJeudy, Slayton, Iosivas
TE: McBride, DSchultz, Musgrave, Kraft, MGesicki
2024: 1.02, 2.02
2022 and 2023 League Champ

SafeLeague #1 (12 team, SF, 2.0 PPR TE Prem). 10 total starters 1 QB, 1SF (QB/TE/RB/WR), 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex
QB: Purdy, Levis, DTR
RB: Pacheco + scrubs
WR: Downs, MMims, EMoore, Jeudy, MWilson + scrubs
TE: Hock, Kincaid, Pitts, Mayer + scrubs
2024: 1.01, 1.05, 1.11, 2.01, 2.02, 2.06,
2025: 2 1sts, 2 2nds

SafeLeague #2
QB: Purdy, Richardson, Hooker, Willis
RB: literal ZERO RB (for now)
WR: Mingo, MMims, Toney, Skyy, Iosivas
TE: LaPorta, Kincaid, McBride, Mayer, Musgrave, Schoonmaker (and a bunch more 2nd stringers)
2024: 1.01, 1.05, 1.06, 1.08, 1.09, 1.10, 2.01, 2.05, 2.06
2025: 1 1st, 1 2nd

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:15 pm

Prospect fatigue is real.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:29 pm

How is stuff like this allowed to go to print?

This is USA Today, or an affiliate of?

How does someone get paid to write with such a lack of understanding of the game of football?

https://patriotswire.usatoday.com/lists ... -NpuH4posS

"We’re exploring a potential blockbuster trade scenario in the latest seven-round 2024 NFL mock draft:"

"The Chargers trade quarterback Justin Herbert and their 2024 first-round draft pick (No. 5) for the Patriots’ first-round pick (No. 3). Harbaugh, who has been signing McCarthy’s praises, would be getting a quarterback he’s familiar with on a rookie contract. With Keenan Allen, Mike Williams and Austin Ekeler gone, the Chargers could be considering a reboot.

The Patriots, on the other hand, get a talented young quarterback and a premium draft pick to add a major offensive weapon."
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick