Malik Willis SF 1.01?

Given the increase in popularity for SF and 2QB leagues, this forum is intended for topics relating to these formats.
FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Malik Willis SF 1.01?

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:01 am

smbkrypt24 wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:52 am
FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:41 am
smbkrypt24 wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:52 am

There were narratives before the year that he would unseat Lawrence at #1. After the year, since he didn't play much, that was no longer the case. There were also talks Fields would be the first QB taken. I think generally he was viewed right around the 3rd best QB last year. Overall ADP for 1 QB leagues was mid to early 2nd depending on team needs. Lawrence was sliding in the mid-end of the first.
Geez. Must have been a slow news day and starving for clicks. I don't think anybody with a strong grasp of the college game thought any of this. I am lower and have been on Lawrence than most for a few years, but even I knew this wasn't happening. Willis played 10 games last year, too. He played plenty. I don't think anybody seriously thought Lawrence wasn't going to be the first QB taken, and if they did, they deserve a pay cut, at the very least. Lawrence was as locked in a pick as it gets for years.
I agree with that, just rumblings. I never said my opinion was he would over take him.
Oh, for sure. Media does stuff like that to drum up conversation. They don't believe half of what they say, but I remember Willis was talked about last year as the possible QB 1 this year, during the college season. A few years ago, they were probably planting seeds and making some hot takes, so they could say they were the first on the guy type, thing, because people rarely get called out on hot takes that don't pan out, but the person who hits on one makes sure people remember it if they get one right, even if they only get 1 out of 10. It's the way it works, unfortunately.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:38 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:01 am
smbkrypt24 wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:52 am
FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:41 am

Geez. Must have been a slow news day and starving for clicks. I don't think anybody with a strong grasp of the college game thought any of this. I am lower and have been on Lawrence than most for a few years, but even I knew this wasn't happening. Willis played 10 games last year, too. He played plenty. I don't think anybody seriously thought Lawrence wasn't going to be the first QB taken, and if they did, they deserve a pay cut, at the very least. Lawrence was as locked in a pick as it gets for years.
I agree with that, just rumblings. I never said my opinion was he would over take him.
Oh, for sure. Media does stuff like that to drum up conversation. They don't believe half of what they say, but I remember Willis was talked about last year as the possible QB 1 this year, during the college season. A few years ago, they were probably planting seeds and making some hot takes, so they could say they were the first on the guy type, thing, because people rarely get called out on hot takes that don't pan out, but the person who hits on one makes sure people remember it if they get one right, even if they only get 1 out of 10. It's the way it works, unfortunately.
I mean Willis may well be the QB1 this year

It's him or Pickett from what I've seen

zaner75
Captain
Captain

Postby zaner75 » Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:25 am

In an early draft situation like you are in, I would take Willis. Highest upside at the most valuable position. Even if his NFL draft stock is back half of round 1, his value will be insulated for the next couple of seasons.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:46 am

My take is there is a lot to like but there are a lot of areas that need significant improvement Highly Doubt he is a year 1 starter.

Great arm from multiple angles and is a quick twitch player. That said, he looks to have very happy feet and looks to escape clean pockets. Doesn't appear to read defenses very well at all. Accuracy is a question mark as well given he has so many off platform throws.

He looks to be a developmental project but he does have intangible skills so a team will take a chance. I see a player with a pretty high bust factor personally but if he hits he could be a steal. Looks like a less polished J. Hurts to me but he does have a bigger arm.

Doubt he goes before Pickett or Corral but he is exciting so some GM may take a leap of faith.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

YouMightDieTryin
MVP
MVP

Postby YouMightDieTryin » Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:41 pm

zaner75 wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:25 am In an early draft situation like you are in, I would take Willis. Highest upside at the most valuable position. Even if his NFL draft stock is back half of round 1, his value will be insulated for the next couple of seasons.
--Dwayne Haskins has entered the chat.

Yarnith
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Yarnith » Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:34 pm

YouMightDieTryin wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:41 pm
zaner75 wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:25 am In an early draft situation like you are in, I would take Willis. Highest upside at the most valuable position. Even if his NFL draft stock is back half of round 1, his value will be insulated for the next couple of seasons.
--Dwayne Haskins has entered the chat.
I think Vegas has 35% chance he starts for the Steelers week 1. Careful what you put into the universe.
Cavaliers 12 team standard, 1QB, 1RB, 1WR, 2WR/TE, 1flex
QB: J. Allen, S. Howell, Z.Wilson
RB: A. Kamara, J. Taylor, CEH, K. Gainwell, P. Strong
WR: A.J. Brown, A. Cooper, J. Dotson, C. Ridley, E. Moore, W. Robinson, J. Meyers, T. Marshall,
TE: G. Kittle, J. Johnson, J. Woods, H. Henry
'23 1.10, 2.10, 3.10 '24 1, 2, 3
Recent Championships '19,'21,'22

Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends- 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex
QB: Mahomes, Purdy, Lance
RB: Pierce, Miller, K. Herbert, E. Hull
WR: Chase, Watson, Davis, JSN, Metchie, Pierce, V. Jefferson, Claypool, Thornton, Westbrook-Ikhine
TE: Pitts, Woods, Latu

AZK
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby AZK » Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:14 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:09 pm I don't know a whole lot about him yet, but the dual threat upside in SF is certainly worth the 1.01.

But as always, organization, HC, and offensive line for QB is crucial. So, landing spot will make or break him.
He reminds me a lot of Lamar coming out. Super fast, strong arm, inconsistent accuracy and run first, throw second mentality. I've heard him compared to early Vick in terms of NFL potential. Speed is up there with Kyler. But some of his throws leave something to be desired in my opinion.
Ainslie-Rachlin Law, "Our decisions... are guided by the perceived values at the moment of the decision - not by the potential final value."

Rondalebaby
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Rondalebaby » Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:10 pm

AZK wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:14 pm
Cameron Giles wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:09 pm I don't know a whole lot about him yet, but the dual threat upside in SF is certainly worth the 1.01.

But as always, organization, HC, and offensive line for QB is crucial. So, landing spot will make or break him.
He reminds me a lot of Lamar coming out. Super fast, strong arm, inconsistent accuracy and run first, throw second mentality. I've heard him compared to early Vick in terms of NFL potential. Speed is up there with Kyler. But some of his throws leave something to be desired in my opinion.
Something like nearly 1300 of Lamars 1600 rushing yards his junior year came on 150 designed run plays.

He had 662 combined passes and rushes that year (430 pass attempts, 232 rushes), so a majority of his runs were designed, with his rushing attempts only making up 35% of his total pass / rush attempts (likely even lower because college counts sacks as rush attempts).

It is a complete myth that he was run first, pass second in college and will forever be a fallacy when comparing mediocre college QBs with rushing upside to him.

AZK
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby AZK » Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:57 pm

Rondalebaby wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:10 pm

Something like nearly 1300 of Lamars 1600 rushing yards his junior year came on 150 designed run plays.

He had 662 combined passes and rushes that year (430 pass attempts, 232 rushes), so a majority of his runs were designed, with his rushing attempts only making up 35% of his total pass / rush attempts (likely even lower because college counts sacks as rush attempts).

It is a complete myth that he was run first, pass second in college and will forever be a fallacy when comparing mediocre college QBs with rushing upside to him.
And Malik has a higher college completion percentage by almost 10%. What's your point here? Just to argue some random stats about Lamar? Have you watched the film on both players?

I like Lamar a lot and haven't made up my mind about Willis yet at all, but watching the players he's alot more Lamar than Hurts and more Vick than Kyler but there's similarities to all of those players in his game.
Ainslie-Rachlin Law, "Our decisions... are guided by the perceived values at the moment of the decision - not by the potential final value."

Rondalebaby
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Rondalebaby » Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:41 am

AZK wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:57 pm

And Malik has a higher college completion percentage by almost 10%. What's your point here? Just to argue some random stats about Lamar? Have you watched the film on both players?

I like Lamar a lot and haven't made up my mind about Willis yet at all, but watching the players he's alot more Lamar than Hurts and more Vick than Kyler but there's similarities to all of those players in his game.
My point is Lamar wasn’t run first pass second, so I don’t agree Malik plays like him at all.

Yarnith
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Yarnith » Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:32 am

Rondalebaby wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:41 am

My point is Lamar wasn’t run first pass second, so I don’t agree Malik plays like him at all.
So Lamar didn't become run first until he got in the NFL? :lol:
Cavaliers 12 team standard, 1QB, 1RB, 1WR, 2WR/TE, 1flex
QB: J. Allen, S. Howell, Z.Wilson
RB: A. Kamara, J. Taylor, CEH, K. Gainwell, P. Strong
WR: A.J. Brown, A. Cooper, J. Dotson, C. Ridley, E. Moore, W. Robinson, J. Meyers, T. Marshall,
TE: G. Kittle, J. Johnson, J. Woods, H. Henry
'23 1.10, 2.10, 3.10 '24 1, 2, 3
Recent Championships '19,'21,'22

Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends- 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex
QB: Mahomes, Purdy, Lance
RB: Pierce, Miller, K. Herbert, E. Hull
WR: Chase, Watson, Davis, JSN, Metchie, Pierce, V. Jefferson, Claypool, Thornton, Westbrook-Ikhine
TE: Pitts, Woods, Latu

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Sat Feb 12, 2022 1:58 pm

MaddMadden wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:55 pm No dance partners unfortunately! He has the highest ceiling in the class. If he gets R1 capital (which I think his ceiling will attract). He's AT LEAST a top 5 pick and that's as close as you can hope for in an early draft lol.
This is likely to be a very weak QB class and the 1.01 is a premium asset.

It’s hard for me to believe that you can’t trade out of the 1.01 for a much better QB than Willis.

I’d send out some feelers for the 2021 QBs and try to land either Lance, Fields or Wilson+ (who are all likely better prospects)

I’d probably also rather have Deshaun Watson (who while risky has a higher floor and similar ceiling to Willis, imo).

remedy29
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby remedy29 » Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:27 pm

Sriracha wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 1:58 pm
MaddMadden wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:55 pm No dance partners unfortunately! He has the highest ceiling in the class. If he gets R1 capital (which I think his ceiling will attract). He's AT LEAST a top 5 pick and that's as close as you can hope for in an early draft lol.
This is likely to be a very weak QB class and the 1.01 is a premium asset.

It’s hard for me to believe that you can’t trade out of the 1.01 for a much better QB than Willis.

I’d send out some feelers for the 2021 QBs and try to land either Lance, Fields or Wilson+ (who are all likely better prospects)

I’d probably also rather have Deshaun Watson (who while risky has a higher floor and similar ceiling to Willis, imo).
1.01 this year is not going to get you Lance. Fields is a decent offer and I wouldn't send the 1.12 for Wilson. It's hard for me to think any 1st round drafted QB is not a better prospect than Wilson.

Tvols
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Tvols » Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:26 pm

Yarnith wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:32 am
Rondalebaby wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:41 am

So Lamar didn't become run first until he got in the NFL? :lol:
Now that is funny 🤣
16 teamer
QB T Law, R Wilson
rb- Mixon,pollard, J Hill, conner,
WR-Chase,Lamb,T Hill, R Bateman, C sutton, boyd
Te Kelce, Waller, Fant,Evertt,
1qb,2-3rb,3-5wr,1-2 TE
Full IDP

Team 2 recent rod 16 team SF/TEP(2pt PPR) 1-2 QB, 2-3 RB, 3-5 wrs and 1-2 TE full IDP.
QB A rod, M willis and H Hooker
rb not squat T Bigsby, Chris R, Z evans. J kelly, C patterson, and J mcluaghlin.
WRs chase, J Addison, T McLaurin, C ridgley , A Losivas, M hollins
TE Kelce, D Belligner, T Conklin

MaddMadden
Role Player
Role Player

Postby MaddMadden » Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:45 pm

This pick seems to be aging pretty well
10 team half-PPR league. Starters: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, 2FLEX, K, 2DE, DT, 2LB, S, CB, 2IDP. 40man roster. Salary Cap pinned to NFL.

2022 picks: 1st, 3rd
2023 picks: 2 1st, 2 2nd, 3 3rd, 2 4ths

Players under contracts 2021 (years)
QB: K. Murray (3), T. Lance (4)
RB: S. Barkley (4), C. Edwards-Helaire (3+1), J. Jacobs (4), M. Davis (1), D. Henderson (1), AJ Dillon (3), Z. Moss (3), T. Pollard (2), T. Etienne (4)
WR: DK Metcalf (2), C. Ridley (2), T. McLaurin (2), J. Chase (4), R. Bateman (4), E. Moore (4), R. Moore (4), J. Reagor (3), B. Edwards (3), KJ Hamler (3)
TE: G. Kittle (3), A. Trautman (3)
K: Y. Koo (1)
DE: D. Hunter (1), C. Young (3+1), J. Bosa (2), J. Allen (2), K. Paye (4)
DT: A. Donald (2), Q. Williams (3)
LB: D. Leonard (2), R. Smith (3), F. Warner (3) P. Queen (3), I. Simmons (3), J. Davis (4)
S: D. James (2), R. Grant (4)
CB: K. Moore (2)