Dynasty Trading

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
TXPackFan
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Dynasty Trading

Postby TXPackFan » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:09 am

I'm new to dynasty and picked up a team this year from a league that was already in place. I am currently rebuilding and I know my roster doesn't have a whole lot of trade value. However, in this league, it seems as though no one accepts a trade (or even counters) unless it is heavily in their favor. There have been a total of nine trades since I joined the league, 7 of which I was involved in, of which I purposefully took a less than great deal just to try and put some youth on my team (the team I inherited was old and a few weren't even relevant anymore.

Is anybody else's dynasty league this against trading. I've played in a few leagues (redraft) before were trades were fairly even (i.e. I need a RB, you need a WR, let's trade fairly equal value players), but this league seems so against it. I have had several offers just sit for two+ weeks, no response, no counter, no decline, nothing, to the point where I just end up withdrawing them. Is this typical?
12 Team, .5PPR, 6pt TD
QB, RB, WR, TE, R/W, W/T, R/W/T, K, DEF
QB-Wilson, Cousins
RB-Gurley, McCoy, Lynch, Abdullah, Ellington, Gore, Perine, Mack, Kelley, Darkwa
WR-Green, Mike Thomas, Demaryius Thomas, Thielen, R. Matthews, Higgins, Ross, A. Steweart
TE-Doyle, Smith
2018-1, 2

MilwaukeesBest
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: Dynasty Trading

Postby MilwaukeesBest » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:51 am

I'm the most active trader by far in all my leagues. It depends on the league and the individual owners, there are some owners where it is fairly easy to strike a deal, and some who I barely bother with. Even if I offer a deal that is to their advantage, they are scared of making a deal and looking like a fool. Like I have some knowledge that they don't, which is not the case. It's frustrating sometimes, especially since I either counter or or at the very least send a reply to each offer I get. IMO it's just good manners, but some people obviously have different takes on the subject.
Team 1: 10 Team, 4 Keeper League, Non-PPR
QB: Deshaun Watson
RB: Ezekiel Elliott, Leonard Fournette, Kareem Hunt
WR: Julio Jones, Dez Bryant
TE: Rob Gronkowski

melish1631
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby melish1631 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:27 am

>>>I have had several offers just sit for two+ weeks, no response, no counter, no decline, nothing, to the point where I just end up withdrawing them. Is this typical?<<<

No, it shouldn't work that way...but every team is different, some trade a lot, some trade for players they like/want, some don't feel the need! You should not trade more to get less, just to make a trade!!! Is the league a deep league (25 + players, 12 teams?), if not, that will prohibit trade activity (from my experience) The way I dealt with the activity issue? I joined 5 Dynasty Leagues - each team is at a different stage and requires different management...best way to deal with you lust for activity (kidding!)

Trade offers are always an issue...Everyone handles them the way they think is best and you'll get arguments on both sides as to what is proper etiquette! My opinion on offers I send and offers I receive -

Trade Offers made by me - Generally, I make a trade offer if a team has something I want and more importantly, I have something that can help them! I rarely make offers that I think have no chance of being accepted! Generally, I start a conversation to inquire about interest from the other party! This way they have an idea that an offer may be coming and they know what I am interested in!
If the team has an obvious, glaring, desperate need...I may offer a trade without any initial contact!

No response to an offer? I had this happen to me this off season...I offered Drew Brees and a 3rd round pick to a Saints fan for Matt Forte and a late 2nd round pick! He had other RB's and had a need at QB big time...team let the offer sit for 5-6 days andafter 2 notes from me, finally responded via PM that we are looking at it and will get back to you! 4 more days and the deal expires...I sent a note asking them to just respond next time, either way - so I know what they are thinking! No effort required, just a click of the mouse!!! The team got really defensive because I was telling them what they should do etc...I blasted them, totally went off on the message board!!! That got them very upset that I made it public - My reason? I am doing what's best for league - Etiquette, Sportsmanship, Fair Play etc...

Trade offers I receive - This is again my opinion and I'm a little particular about receiving an offer! First, I LOVE seeing the trade offer message with a '1' or '2' indicating offers I have received! I actually wait a second before opening and hope its a good deal...What I HATE is seeing 2 for 1, 3 for 1 offers that do not help me whatsoever - Those offers I reject quickly!Some teams feel you should comment if rejecting an offer but I think if the offer is bad, 'reject - no comment!!!' Owners that make those offers know what they are doing and if they think I'm that dumb, I'm not going to put more effort into a rejection comment than they put into the bad offer! I feel that if there was not convo or inquiry to you regarding trade interest, blind offers could be rejected without response!!!
But if 2 teams were discussing an idea or parameters to a deal, then the best way to handle this is to respond with comments regardless of your 'accept, 'reject' or 'counter offer'.

Hope this helps...
DLF IDP Invitational (Commish)
IDP Smallville
IDP Big Play

ConnSKINS26
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ConnSKINS26 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:44 am

I have one league that trades less, even though its an active league. I have another that has had 40+ trades since the start-up in July, NOT including the 20-ish trades during the start-up.

Every league is different, but I've learned that if you want an active league with lots of trading, even small trades, you have to have a league that is built to accommodate that--very active owners always looking to improve and who specifically love trading, and fairly large rosters that keep decent talent off of the waiver wire.This encourages more trades.

Personally, I specifically went looking for, and joined, a start-up that was emphasizing trading and owner activity, because I can't stand leagues where an offer sits out there for more than a day, where a waiver deadline passes and nobody's made a move, where people are....content with their rosters, I guess. I've been very happy ever since I made the decision to find a league that was built around that, to a degree. I'm an admitted trade whore. The first step is admitting.

TXPackFan
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby TXPackFan » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:03 pm

Thanks for all the feed back. I am definitely the most active as far as trades (probably not waivers). Since I joined the league in late July, there have been a total of 9 trades. I was involved in 7 of them.

I will admit, I have probably been a little too eager on some trades, giving up more then necessary, but every trade I have made has been an attempt to get young players for the future.
12 Team, .5PPR, 6pt TD
QB, RB, WR, TE, R/W, W/T, R/W/T, K, DEF
QB-Wilson, Cousins
RB-Gurley, McCoy, Lynch, Abdullah, Ellington, Gore, Perine, Mack, Kelley, Darkwa
WR-Green, Mike Thomas, Demaryius Thomas, Thielen, R. Matthews, Higgins, Ross, A. Steweart
TE-Doyle, Smith
2018-1, 2

Camperhead
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Camperhead » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:37 pm

Sounds sadly familiar, but I'm afraid the league I'm in is even more tight-fisted than that. Heading into this season, our third, there had been only four total trades in the history of the league, two of which I initiated (including the only one that was anything more than just a one-for-one swap). There was a relative trading frenzy this past August -- three trades, of which I orchestrated two.
10-Team Superflex League, 25 rosters spots
ROSTERS CUT TO 15 MID-AUGUST
ROOKIE/FREE AGENT DRAFT LATE AUGUST

Lineup requirements: 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR/TE, 1 K, 1 Def, 1 Flex (QB/RB/WR/TE)
TD=6, TDP=4, 15 yds rush/rec=1, 35 yds pass=1, 2 rec=1

QB - Mahomes, Wilson, Bridgewater, Hurts, Heinicke, Eason
RB - Kamara, Chubb, LeVeon Bell, David Johnson, Dillon
WR/TE - Hopkins, Godwin, A.J. Brown, Sutton, Lamb, Harry, A.J. Green, B.Edwards, P.Williams, G.Davis
K* - Tucker, Prater
DT* - Ravens, Buccaneers
* two of each required per league rules

LEAGUE CHAMPS 2013, 2014, 2016, 2018, 2020

tidewaterjc
All Pro
All Pro

Postby tidewaterjc » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:56 am

TXPackFan wrote:I'm new to dynasty and picked up a team this year from a league that was already in place. I am currently rebuilding and I know my roster doesn't have a whole lot of trade value. However, in this league, it seems as though no one accepts a trade (or even counters) unless it is heavily in their favor. There have been a total of nine trades since I joined the league, 7 of which I was involved in, of which I purposefully took a less than great deal just to try and put some youth on my team (the team I inherited was old and a few weren't even relevant anymore.

Is anybody else's dynasty league this against trading. I've played in a few leagues (redraft) before were trades were fairly even (i.e. I need a RB, you need a WR, let's trade fairly equal value players), but this league seems so against it. I have had several offers just sit for two+ weeks, no response, no counter, no decline, nothing, to the point where I just end up withdrawing them. Is this typical?
It seems that leagues with knowledgeable owners tend to hold until mid-season or off-season to make many moves as Skip said earlier. Always exceptions, but you need multiple owners who are willing to trade in-season, which is rare. A trend that has surfaced in many leagues is the quantity for quality offers or the "sell the farm" requirements for trades. In one league, there have been very few trades after the initial draft last spring. Here are two I've been involved in:

7/15/11
Gave: GJennings/RHousler/2012 3.r
Got: MLeshoure/GLittle/JRodgers/2012 1.r

Looked like a great trade until early August..... :cry: .... and Leshoure went down

9/20/11
Gave: JRodgers
Got: EMoore
Twitter: @tidewaterjc
Email: tidewaterjc@gmail.com

Need a FF Team Helmet?

Custom FF Helmets/Banners available
http://s1324.photobucket.com/user/tidewaterjc/profile/

??Droppedballs??
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby ??Droppedballs?? » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:01 am

the hardest think about trading in some league is that there are some that just dont realize, understand, or just ignore what their team actual is, ie. a contender,a playoff team, a frindge playoff team, a up and coming, a colapsing team or a bottom feeder, i was talking to another gm earlier this offseason about this as we were talking about his team, my team and the others in the league, and he kept telling me about another owner that barely made the playoffs out 3 of 5 yrs, yea he barely made it all 3 times, 7-7 give or take a game a year and was blown out in the 1st playoff game every time, and he tells me at least he makes the playoffs, i respond by telling him, that if hes ok with being a mediocre team yr in and out then thats all good, but i want to be either building my team to win in 2 or 3 yrs or contending right now, not staying in the middle every year, the worst spot to be in is the middle each yr, your not trying to build for the future or contending, ur just blllaaahhh

well dont know if it was because of our chat but trading since then has blown up in that league, we got 4 teams that are in a rebuild mode and 3 teams spending a lot of picks to compete with each other, the best part is the through 5 weeks, there isnt even a top tier in this league we got 7 teams that are 4-2, records can change a little depending on monday nites game but i think they all will hold except one match up, 2 at 3-3, 1 at 2-4 and 2 at 0-6

just saying the best part of dynasty is that u arent just playing for this year but for all the years after also, wouldnt say that this particular league was as dull as some others u guys are talking about but it sure seams like more fun when there is alot of action going on in ur league rather then u being the only one logging in other then sundays

RobertBobson
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby RobertBobson » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:41 am

??Droppedballs?? wrote:the hardest think about trading in some league is that there are some that just dont realize, understand, or just ignore what their team actual is, ie. a contender,a playoff team, a frindge playoff team, a up and coming, a colapsing team or a bottom feeder, i was talking to another gm earlier this offseason about this as we were talking about his team, my team and the others in the league, and he kept telling me about another owner that barely made the playoffs out 3 of 5 yrs, yea he barely made it all 3 times, 7-7 give or take a game a year and was blown out in the 1st playoff game every time, and he tells me at least he makes the playoffs, i respond by telling him, that if hes ok with being a mediocre team yr in and out then thats all good, but i want to be either building my team to win in 2 or 3 yrs or contending right now, not staying in the middle every year, the worst spot to be in is the middle each yr, your not trying to build for the future or contending, ur just blllaaahhh

This is a really really good point. I have a team in a league that I miss managed last year making moves to "win now" because of the make up of my team ( like trading for Randy moss before the season lol) that ended up really messing up my team. So I ended up with a team that had Arod and roddy white, who are awesome, but an ancient rb corp with no young prospects (Sjax, Grant, hightower, ronnie brown, rickey williams) , and not much depth at wr behind roddy and santonio. I thought my team was good enough, with a couple breaks to get a wild card birth maybe, though I was in a really tough division so it was going to be hard to even get that. But I had enough talent to make one run, but that was it. So, I ended up blowing my team apart, because I knew that if I didn't, and I was just mediocre, my team would be stuck in a mire for years and years while my assets lost what value they had. SO i ended up trading Aarod, roddy, sjax, hightower and grant off that team, picking up young players I believe in ( Freeman, dez, tampa mike, fitzgerald) and a bunch of draft picks to rebuild my rb corp, which is now insanely bad. I'm still a couple years away from competing, but none of my core players are old and I'm a lock to get the difference making kind of draft picks that can get the shore up a rb core.

I'm fully of the opinion that it's far better to suck than it is to be mediocre, if you want sustained success you have to acquire a core of studs, and having an aging team with mediocre draft picks is recipe for years of failure.
12 team 1 ppr 6 pt all tds
1 qb 2 rb 2 wr 1 rb/wr 1 te 1k
qb Ryan, Vick, nassib, Barkley
RB DMC, Gore, Sporles, Stacy, Hillman, Moreno,
WR aj green,welker, Britt, Blackmon, DeMary
TE Davis, Cook, Housler, Allen