Conference Championships Discussion

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!
FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Conference Championships Discussion

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:07 pm

Oh yeah.....is Cooper Kupp elite yet? :lol:
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

dondickenson
Starter
Starter

Postby dondickenson » Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:27 pm

nathanq42 wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:55 pm The odd thing about CEH is that when he had the ball he looked solid, made guys missed, showed great patience and vision by navigating muddy trenches to find day light, had a solid play where he and an Olineman (I think) were able to push a pile larger than you would expect to squeeze out another few yards.

For whatever reason he just isn't getting involved. If this is all the chiefs have for him, they either grossly overestimated his abilities and their plan had to go out the window, or they had no real plan (like the Seahawks with penny). Either way the chiefs and many fantasy owners (myself included) wasted a top tier pick on this guy. He has a lot to show next year if he is going to get his rookie deal extended. From my not very skilled eyes he looks like he could be a difference maker given a difference maker's volume, but obviously the Chiefs see him a lot more and know a lot more about football than I do and they just don't want him involved.

Shame
It looks to me like terrible coaching. The more I watch the Chiefs the more I think the team is poorly coached and would be nothing without extreme outlier talents on offense at QB/WR/TE basically just ad-libbing with each other. I mean even with those same guys at WR/TE and an above average QB they were just barely a playoff team.

CEH was obviously the better RB on the field today as he often is, yet the Chiefs coaching staff again refuse to use him, to their own detriment. McKinnon never got more than was blocked while Clyde did on at least half of his measly 7 touches. Instead of giving their best back touches they force themselves to become extremely one dimensional, and get shut down in key situations. Happened in Super Bowl last season. Happened today. CEH averaged 7.1 ypc in the SB, and 6.0 ypc today. Inexcusable not to ride him.

Who knows what to think about CEH's future, especially if he is stuck with coaches who just like to get cute and out think themselves and a QB who is obsessed with hero ball. He looked super legit out there today, shifty, quick, and crazy powerful a la MJD. But, contrary to what we all thought would be the case, his talent is there but his situation lets him down.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:31 pm

dondickenson wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:27 pm
nathanq42 wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:55 pm The odd thing about CEH is that when he had the ball he looked solid, made guys missed, showed great patience and vision by navigating muddy trenches to find day light, had a solid play where he and an Olineman (I think) were able to push a pile larger than you would expect to squeeze out another few yards.

For whatever reason he just isn't getting involved. If this is all the chiefs have for him, they either grossly overestimated his abilities and their plan had to go out the window, or they had no real plan (like the Seahawks with penny). Either way the chiefs and many fantasy owners (myself included) wasted a top tier pick on this guy. He has a lot to show next year if he is going to get his rookie deal extended. From my not very skilled eyes he looks like he could be a difference maker given a difference maker's volume, but obviously the Chiefs see him a lot more and know a lot more about football than I do and they just don't want him involved.

Shame
It looks to me like terrible coaching. The more I watch the Chiefs the more I think the team is poorly coached and would be nothing without extreme outlier talents on offense at QB/WR/TE basically just ad-libbing with each other. I mean even with those same guys at WR/TE and an above average QB they were just barely a playoff team.

CEH was obviously the better RB on the field today as he often is, yet the Chiefs coaching staff again refuse to use him, to their own detriment. McKinnon never got more than was blocked while Clyde did on at least half of his measly 7 touches. Instead of giving their best back touches they force themselves to become extremely one dimensional, and get shut down in key situations. Happened in Super Bowl last season. Happened today.

Who knows what to think about CEH's future, especially if he is stuck with coaches who just like to get cute and out think themselves and a QB who is obsessed with hero ball. He looked super legit out there today, shifty, quick, and crazy powerful a la MJD. But, contrary to what we all thought would be the case, his talent is there but his situation lets him down.
The irony is, that hero ball guy wanted CEH. Mahomes won't change his style. As a result, CEH is not a good fit. Especially not for FF. He'd be better off on another team, for PPR scoring.

dondickenson
Starter
Starter

Postby dondickenson » Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:36 pm

Oh also, not to rub it in with an I told you so to anyone in particular, but very generally... I told you Jimmy G is horrible.

2022 NFCCG 4th quarter: 3 for 9, 30 yards, 0 TD, 1 INT, 4.2 QB rating

2019 SB 4th quarter: 3 for 11, 36 yards, 0 TD, 1 INT, 2.8 QB rating

Not only were those two of the worst 4th quarter performances in CG and SB history, in the last 30 years, Jimmy has the worst 4th quarter stats/QB rating of any QB to have 30+ 4th quarter playoff attempts. He is an historically bad 4th quarter playoff QB. The historically bad 4th quarter playoff QB. F I hate him. Fire him into the sun and I hope I never hear his name again.

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:36 pm

dondickenson wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:27 pm

Shame

CEH was obviously the better RB on the field today as he often is, yet the Chiefs coaching staff again refuse to use him, to their own detriment. McKinnon never got more than was blocked while Clyde did on at least half of his measly 7 touches. Instead of giving their best back touches they force themselves to become extremely one dimensional, and get shut down in key situations. Happened in Super Bowl last season. Happened today. CEH averaged 7.1 ypc in the SB, and 6.0 ypc today. Inexcusable not to ride him.

I mean Mckinnon played quite well today

We should have run the ball more in general

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:37 pm

dondickenson wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:36 pm Oh also, not to rub it in with an I told you so to anyone in particular, but very generally... I told you Jimmy G is horrible.

2022 NFCCG 4th quarter: 3 for 9, 30 yards, 0 TD, 1 INT, 4.2 QB rating

2019 SB 4th quarter: 3 for 11, 36 yards, 0 TD, 1 INT, 2.8 QB rating

Not only were those two of the worst 4th quarter performances in CG and SB history, in the last 30 years, Jimmy has the worst 4th quarter stats/QB rating of any QB to have 30+ 4th quarter playoff attempts. He is an historically bad 4th quarter playoff QB. The historically bad 4th quarter playoff QB. F I hate him. Fire him into the sun and I hope I never hear his name again.
I'd still take him over the Goff/Baker/Tua/Wentz tier

But yeah he isn't good. Well below Cousins and Carr types

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:40 pm

Hard to believe a guy as young as McVay has a guy from "his tree" coaching against him in the Super Bowl.

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby killer_of_giants » Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:16 am

remedy29 wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:00 pm
Yarnith wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:52 pm 1:46 games on the line and you send in your QB to bring home the W and go to the SB. Jimmy G lives up to everything I learned to expect from him.
I think that is a bit unfair to Garoppolo. SF is built to win on their run game and defense. There was a play to be made on defense and the Safety dropped the ball in what can only be described as too easy to catch. This game did not have to come down to needing Garoppolo to tie the game down 3 with under 2 minutes. He did enough to put them in position to win prior to that.
and a QB that can keep a drive alive would benefit both, immensely. and if for some reason the D and the run game aren't being efficient, then the game is lost, as jimmy will not take the team on his shoulders, he just can't. a good QB hits an open manny sanders deep and wins a super bowl, or doesn't go backwards when he has less than 2 minutes to score. of course it's a team game, you can't pin a loss on one single player, but it's hard to say jimmy isn't a weakness for the niners team.

aside from that, i have no idea why the niners didn't run the ball as much as they usually do. very few outside runs, always going into the middle and getting nothing most of the times. i would expect an "offensive guru" to be able to mix it up a little bit and adjust along the game, but that didn't happen. the defense played well most of the game, but the coverage on kupp was hit and miss (no one on him for his first TD, corner leaves him to the safety, safety thinks the corner has him, unacceptable), and of course that missed INT was a proper game changer, it wasn't just a bad miss, it had tremendous (opposite) effect on both teams.

go bengals!

Patsfan86
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Patsfan86 » Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:22 am

That was one of the more enjoyable conference championship Sundays i can remember. That AFC championship was so much fun, young qbs, come backs, enough offense but not too much offense just perfect. Im still trying to figure out what happened to Mahomes in the second half. Mahomes has not been "figured out" the guy has too much talent for that to ever happen but i think its fair to say that defenses have found something to at least confuse him and slow him down. Id love a trained eye to tell me because im curious.

Not trying to get chiefs fans all fired up with this next comment, but are any of you wondering what happens from here? Are you missing your window for multiple super bowls? Kelce isnt getting younger, neither is Hill for that matter and speed ends first, Mahomes contract is going to be a killer for the rest of the team as well. I definitely think the Chiefs will be in it again next year but after that? Who knows.

As far as the Bengals are concerned they are certainly a year ahead of schedule and i can only see them getting better when they add some o line and defensive help. They are certainly set up for a nice future and im all in with them for the super bowl

Niners are the Niners, Jimmy g will get traded and we will see what Lance can do next season. Im afraid there window is closing as well.

Rams have a ton of vets and a great offensive mind at HC, however i worry that Mcvay is gonna outcoach himself to the detriment of the team. Some of his calls yesterday were mind boggling. It was obvious in the 2019 super bowl Mcvay was nervous and outmatched, i wonder if with that experience AND most importantly with a better vet QB he can get over the hump

I expect this to be a very fun super bowl. Really hope it is.

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:33 am

Per Next Gen Stats:

The Bengals dropped 8+ defenders in coverage on a season-high 35% of pass plays.

Patrick Mahomes struggled against 8+ defenders in coverage, completing just 7 of 13 passes for 59 yards & an INT with 2 sacks (-14.4 pass EPA, career-low).
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco Stidham
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Sutton, Downs, Mims, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Goedert, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.06

Yarnith
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Yarnith » Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:16 am

Yarnith wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:52 pm 1:46 games on the line and you send in your QB to bring home the W and go to the SB. Jimmy G lives up to everything I learned to expect from him.
I think that is a bit unfair to Garoppolo. SF is built to win on their run game and defense. There was a play to be made on defense and the Safety dropped the ball in what can only be described as too easy to catch. This game did not have to come down to needing Garoppolo to tie the game down 3 with under 2 minutes. He did enough to put them in position to win prior to that.
So he is a placeholder QB with replaceable talent. Brady, Mahomes, Rodgers, Allen even the much maligned Cousins and Carr give you hope in a 2min drill, one score wins it situation, they can do it. Jimmy G is the opposite and people need to stop pretending he is good.
Cavaliers 12 team standard, 1QB, 1RB, 1WR, 2WR/TE, 1flex
QB: J. Allen, S. Howell, Z.Wilson
RB: A. Kamara, J. Taylor, CEH, K. Gainwell, P. Strong
WR: A.J. Brown, A. Cooper, J. Dotson, C. Ridley, E. Moore, W. Robinson, J. Meyers, T. Marshall,
TE: G. Kittle, J. Johnson, J. Woods, H. Henry
'23 1.10, 2.10, 3.10 '24 1, 2, 3
Recent Championships '19,'21,'22

Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends- 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex
QB: Mahomes, Purdy, Lance
RB: Pierce, Miller, K. Herbert, E. Hull
WR: Chase, Watson, Davis, JSN, Metchie, Pierce, V. Jefferson, Claypool, Thornton, Westbrook-Ikhine
TE: Pitts, Woods, Latu

Patsfan86
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Patsfan86 » Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:28 pm

Yarnith wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:16 am
So he is a placeholder QB with replaceable talent. Brady, Mahomes, Rodgers, Allen even the much maligned Cousins and Carr give you hope in a 2min drill, one score wins it situation, they can do it. Jimmy G is the opposite and people need to stop pretending he is good.
He is definitely not good and im confused as to why people say he is, we have had a large enough sample size to conclude he is not good. I have no idea about Lance, not going to argue that going to him earlier would have been a better idea but Jimmy G is not it and i have no idea how people are making this argument. In hindsight Bill B trading him for a 2nd years ago was a steal.

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:08 pm

If I may chime in. Jimmy G is a compenant NFL QB. He is the type of QB a team build like the 49ers needs. He is not flashy, he is not a stats builder. He does make poor decisions every game, but for the most part he game manages just fine and that is all SF needs. To the erlier point, if you are counting on him to be the hero in a 2 minute situation, he isn't ideal. However, if he leads a team to not need that part of the game and wins that way, that is still a win. I don't want him on my team and he will be replaced, but he did his job all playoffs.
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:09 pm

Patsfan86 wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:22 am That was one of the more enjoyable conference championship Sundays i can remember. That AFC championship was so much fun, young qbs, come backs, enough offense but not too much offense just perfect. Im still trying to figure out what happened to Mahomes in the second half. Mahomes has not been "figured out" the guy has too much talent for that to ever happen but i think its fair to say that defenses have found something to at least confuse him and slow him down. Id love a trained eye to tell me because im curious.
Orenthal Shames wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:33 am Per Next Gen Stats:

The Bengals dropped 8+ defenders in coverage on a season-high 35% of pass plays.

Patrick Mahomes struggled against 8+ defenders in coverage, completing just 7 of 13 passes for 59 yards & an INT with 2 sacks (-14.4 pass EPA, career-low).
Correct. And this number was even higher in the 2nd half when Mahomes went into the toilet: they dropped 8 defenders on 46% of their plays in the 2nd.

In short: they dared KC to run, and KC refused.

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:26 pm

murphysxm wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:08 pm If I may chime in. Jimmy G is a compenant NFL QB. He is the type of QB a team build like the 49ers needs. He is not flashy, he is not a stats builder. He does make poor decisions every game, but for the most part he game manages just fine and that is all SF needs. To the erlier point, if you are counting on him to be the hero in a 2 minute situation, he isn't ideal. However, if he leads a team to not need that part of the game and wins that way, that is still a win. I don't want him on my team and he will be replaced, but he did his job all playoffs.
Garoppalo was the number five paid QB in 2021. I think they missed by getting competent QB play and paying for way more. Either they overpaid, or had expectations that were far higher than he could match.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.