Conference Championships Discussion

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!
murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: Conference Championships Discussion

Postby murphysxm » Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:03 pm

Pac_Eddy wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:26 pm
murphysxm wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:08 pm If I may chime in. Jimmy G is a compenant NFL QB. He is the type of QB a team build like the 49ers needs. He is not flashy, he is not a stats builder. He does make poor decisions every game, but for the most part he game manages just fine and that is all SF needs. To the erlier point, if you are counting on him to be the hero in a 2 minute situation, he isn't ideal. However, if he leads a team to not need that part of the game and wins that way, that is still a win. I don't want him on my team and he will be replaced, but he did his job all playoffs.
Garoppalo was the number five paid QB in 2021. I think they missed by getting competent QB play and paying for way more. Either they overpaid, or had expectations that were far higher than he could match.
He was overpaid, nature of the QB payment cycle in the NFL. Cousins is also overpaid and it clouds his production vs expectations as well. All I am saying is Jimmy G is servicable.
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

remedy29
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby remedy29 » Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:23 pm

Yarnith wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:16 am
remedy29 wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:00 pm
Yarnith wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:52 pm 1:46 games on the line and you send in your QB to bring home the W and go to the SB. Jimmy G lives up to everything I learned to expect from him.
I think that is a bit unfair to Garoppolo. SF is built to win on their run game and defense. There was a play to be made on defense and the Safety dropped the ball in what can only be described as too easy to catch. This game did not have to come down to needing Garoppolo to tie the game down 3 with under 2 minutes. He did enough to put them in position to win prior to that.
So he is a placeholder QB with replaceable talent. Brady, Mahomes, Rodgers, Allen even the much maligned Cousins and Carr give you hope in a 2min drill, one score wins it situation, they can do it. Jimmy G is the opposite and people need to stop pretending he is good.
The statement was, he did enough to put the 49ers in a position to win, 3.5 quarters into the game.
Does it matter if you think he is good or not? Nobody is doubting that ALL Pro QBs are better than Garoppolo. Who ever said that they weren't? Last I check, SF is not about, nor do they have the ability to replace Garoppolo with an All Pro QB. Confusing why that topic would be brought up.

The question is, would the 49ers have been better off with Garoppolo and 3 other 1st round players or are they better off moving forward with Trey Lance. That is the only discussion to be had.
Garoppolo led SF to 1 SB and 1 NFC championship game. Will Trey Lance do better? I would think the odds are not in his favor.

By reading these message boards, you'd think some people think All Pro caliber QBs are a dime a dozen. Most teams won't have one. Is it better to constantly cycle through average to below average QBs or working with what you got?

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:33 pm

murphysxm wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:03 pm
Pac_Eddy wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:26 pm
murphysxm wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:08 pm If I may chime in. Jimmy G is a compenant NFL QB. He is the type of QB a team build like the 49ers needs. He is not flashy, he is not a stats builder. He does make poor decisions every game, but for the most part he game manages just fine and that is all SF needs. To the erlier point, if you are counting on him to be the hero in a 2 minute situation, he isn't ideal. However, if he leads a team to not need that part of the game and wins that way, that is still a win. I don't want him on my team and he will be replaced, but he did his job all playoffs.
Garoppalo was the number five paid QB in 2021. I think they missed by getting competent QB play and paying for way more. Either they overpaid, or had expectations that were far higher than he could match.
He was overpaid, nature of the QB payment cycle in the NFL. Cousins is also overpaid and it clouds his production vs expectations as well. All I am saying is Jimmy G is servicable.
Fair enough, and I agree, particularly with Cousins.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

Forza_Azzurri
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Forza_Azzurri » Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:55 pm

On the last drive, he had 3 downs & didn't even complete a single pass. That's ridiculous. In that situation, he should have been able to pick up a first down or two. It was the first point all game where the Rams knew he would be throwing, so all of Shanahan's pre-snap movement and use of Debo as a RB became useless, and Jimmy got completely exposed.

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:28 pm

Schools officially closed here in Cincy the day after the SB. Got damn this is fun 🍻
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco Stidham
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Sutton, Downs, Mims, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Goedert, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.06

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:26 pm

Orenthal Shames wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:28 pm Schools officially closed here in Cincy the day after the SB. Got damn this is fun 🍻
Huge win for Cincy. AFC will be really interesting moving forward. Burrow and Herbert rising, Allen having another fantastic year, and the Chiefs have Mahomes contract kicking in next year. Should be a highly competitive conference, with no clear front runner.

A few of those runs by Burrow were huge. I was really shocked how badly Mahomes fell apart in the 2nd half. That mistake before the end of the half snowballed out of control.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Tvols
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Tvols » Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:35 pm

Mahomes as good as he is needs to rely on his running game and take the pressure off of him at time. Ried simply isnt running the ball enough, the RBs he has, he picked so that all falls on him. We all know that sometimes you just need run the clock on a long sustained drive helps in keeping defense fresh but also demoralize the opponents.
16 teamer
QB T Law, R Wilson
rb- Mixon,pollard, J Hill, conner,
WR-Chase,Lamb,T Hill, R Bateman, C sutton, boyd
Te Kelce, Waller, Fant,Evertt,
1qb,2-3rb,3-5wr,1-2 TE
Full IDP

Team 2 recent rod 16 team SF/TEP(2pt PPR) 1-2 QB, 2-3 RB, 3-5 wrs and 1-2 TE full IDP.
QB A rod, M willis and H Hooker
rb not squat T Bigsby, Chris R, Z evans. J kelly, C patterson, and J mcluaghlin.
WRs chase, J Addison, T McLaurin, C ridgley , A Losivas, M hollins
TE Kelce, D Belligner, T Conklin

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:09 pm

Tvols wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:35 pm Mahomes as good as he is needs to rely on his running game and take the pressure off of him at time. Ried simply isnt running the ball enough, the RBs he has, he picked so that all falls on him. We all know that sometimes you just need run the clock on a long sustained drive helps in keeping defense fresh but also demoralize the opponents.
He looked rattled. He was missing reads he normally makes. He had TD's on back to back plays with under a minute left, and didn't pull the trigger inside the 10 yard line. I saw it live. Just saw JT O'Sullivan's breakdown, and it looks even worse now. He danced around and almost lost the ball after having Kelce wide open, then he could have hit Pringle after he lost his chance with Kelce, and still held the ball. I was shocked. Just an awful 2nd half of football from Mahomes. Mahomes is a fun player to watch, but there are times where he just can't get out of his own way, much like Favre.

Agreed on the run game. I also think they need to use the quick pass game to the RB's more. When they tried that yesterday, Mahomes was even missing that, though. Should be interesting to see what they do with Hill getting older and his contract coming up soon. Kelce looked good the back half of the year, but he's going to be another year older, too. Curious how they offset the added disadvantage of the Mahomes contract kicking in to the team building side of things. Do they go bargain bin on D moreso? Clark will be gone, you'd think. That guy has not lived up to his contract.

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby nathanq42 » Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:32 pm

Man, seeing him air mail a wide open screen to CEH was disappointing
12 Team 1 ppr .1 points per carry
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
TE Dalton Kincaid, Foster Moreau
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby AussieMate » Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:21 pm

remedy29 wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:23 pm
Yarnith wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:16 am
remedy29 wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:00 pm

I think that is a bit unfair to Garoppolo. SF is built to win on their run game and defense. There was a play to be made on defense and the Safety dropped the ball in what can only be described as too easy to catch. This game did not have to come down to needing Garoppolo to tie the game down 3 with under 2 minutes. He did enough to put them in position to win prior to that.
So he is a placeholder QB with replaceable talent. Brady, Mahomes, Rodgers, Allen even the much maligned Cousins and Carr give you hope in a 2min drill, one score wins it situation, they can do it. Jimmy G is the opposite and people need to stop pretending he is good.
The statement was, he did enough to put the 49ers in a position to win, 3.5 quarters into the game.
Does it matter if you think he is good or not? Nobody is doubting that ALL Pro QBs are better than Garoppolo. Who ever said that they weren't? Last I check, SF is not about, nor do they have the ability to replace Garoppolo with an All Pro QB. Confusing why that topic would be brought up.

The question is, would the 49ers have been better off with Garoppolo and 3 other 1st round players or are they better off moving forward with Trey Lance. That is the only discussion to be had.
Garoppolo led SF to 1 SB and 1 NFC championship game. Will Trey Lance do better? I would think the odds are not in his favor.

By reading these message boards, you'd think some people think All Pro caliber QBs are a dime a dozen. Most teams won't have one. Is it better to constantly cycle through average to below average QBs or working with what you got?
I agree that people give Garoppolo too much crap, but if we are talking about this year it would be Jimmy G and 1 1st in comparison, and moving forward it would Jimmy G and those 3 1sts but also probably losing other players as they'd be paying Jimmy still. So far more to it then just comparing the team with Jimmy G and 3 1sts and Lance by himself.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:29 pm

nathanq42 wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:32 pm Man, seeing him air mail a wide open screen to CEH was disappointing
His mechanics have gotten really loose. I just couldn't believe the 2 non throws on back to back plays with the game on the line. I've never seen Mahomes "gun shy" to that level before. He saw Hardman, he just didn't trust it. Then not hitting Kelce over the middle the next play. Wow. Couldn't believe it, because you know he trusts Kelce whenever things are on the line.

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:48 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:29 pm
nathanq42 wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:32 pm Man, seeing him air mail a wide open screen to CEH was disappointing
His mechanics have gotten really loose. I just couldn't believe the 2 non throws on back to back plays with the game on the line. I've never seen Mahomes "gun shy" to that level before. He saw Hardman, he just didn't trust it. Then not hitting Kelce over the middle the next play. Wow. Couldn't believe it, because you know he trusts Kelce whenever things are on the line.
He's gotten too used to making hero plays by scrambling around. He made one or two earlier in the game. The Bengals finally took better angles to not let him escape.

It kills me when there are two defenders chasing down a fast QB and they both go right at him. The QB makes one move and loses them both! The trailing defender should expect a cutback IMO.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:48 pm

Read somewhere that Mahomes opted for the play at the end of the 1st half and Reid was pissed, potentially losing some trust in his decision making and that may have been weighing heavy on Mahomes in the 2nd half.
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco Stidham
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Sutton, Downs, Mims, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Goedert, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.06

ThunderTung
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ThunderTung » Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:01 pm

Pac_Eddy wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:48 am
He's gotten too used to making hero plays by scrambling around. He made one or two earlier in the game. The Bengals finally took better angles to not let him escape.

It kills me when there are two defenders chasing down a fast QB and they both go right at him. The QB makes one move and loses them both! The trailing defender should expect a cutback IMO.
lmao this is how i feel when i watch Lamar, i've been advocating for defenses to always take the QB on the read options when playing BAL. You might let up a few chunk runs to the RB, but they're gonna stop running it when they know their QB is gonna get hit every time lol
12 man IDP 0.5 ppr

QB(1): Geno Smith
RB(2): ETN/Walker III
WR(2): Chase/Lamb
TE(1): Goedert
FLEX(2): Stevenson/Garrett Wilson
K: Mcpherson
DL(2): T. Walker/Vea
LB(2): D. Long/TJ Edwards
DB(2) Dugger/Moehrig
FLEX: Kenneth Murray
IR: J. Hicks/Milano/Marcus Jones
Bench:
QB: Mac Jones/Bryce Young
RB: Zeke/D. Harris
WR: N. Brown/Demario Douglas/Bobby Trees/Parker/Tyler Scott
TE: Bellinger/Schultz
DL: Barrett/J. Davis/Yannick/
LB: Milano/Edwards/K. Murray/J. Smith
DB: Mathieu/Jonothan Owens

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:21 am

Orenthal Shames wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:48 pm
Read somewhere that Mahomes opted for the play at the end of the 1st half and Reid was pissed, potentially losing some trust in his decision making and that may have been weighing heavy on Mahomes in the 2nd half.
He looked like the bad version of Wentz from that point on. If Wentz had played like that, people would be saying, "Wentz doing Wentz things!" :lol: