NFL is behind the times with OT rules

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!
ThunderTung
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: NFL is behind the times with OT rules

Postby ThunderTung » Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:08 am

killer_of_giants wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:22 am
ThunderTung wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:54 pm The only real statistic we can use is the one Pac eddy brought up, that over the last 10 years the win rate is 53% (including reg season) feels like parity to me
does it really, though?
have you considered ties?

win%: 52.8
tie%: 6.1
loss%: 41.1

it doesn't look all that balanced. the sample size is still small, though, and of course, overtime games aren't a 50/50 event, one team is generally better than the other, so you can win the toss after getting into overtime thanks to an excellent defense, and still blow it. it's hard to determine whether the result is due to the toss or the actual teams.

so now it comes down to common sense: getting the ball first gives you an advantage, i can't see how anyone can say it doesn't.

but if you have doubts, how about this stat: when winning an overtime coin toss, how many teams have decided to kick the ball, rather than receive it?
I don't think anyone is arguing that there isn't an advantage to getting the ball first, just how much that advantage is and whether its enough to warrant overhauling the OT rules. I don't think it is. I think that if you lose the toss, your defense needs to step up, if they don't, you lose, and I'm fine with that. I've been on the wrong side of these OT rules, and yea it sucks to lose on the opening OT drive, but I've never blamed the rules, I blame the defense for not stepping up and making a play with the game on the line.
12 man IDP 0.5 ppr

QB(1): Geno Smith
RB(2): ETN/Walker III
WR(2): Chase/Lamb
TE(1): Goedert
FLEX(2): Stevenson/Garrett Wilson
K: Mcpherson
DL(2): T. Walker/Vea
LB(2): D. Long/TJ Edwards
DB(2) Dugger/Moehrig
FLEX: Kenneth Murray
IR: J. Hicks/Milano/Marcus Jones
Bench:
QB: Mac Jones/Bryce Young
RB: Zeke/D. Harris
WR: N. Brown/Demario Douglas/Bobby Trees/Parker/Tyler Scott
TE: Bellinger/Schultz
DL: Barrett/J. Davis/Yannick/
LB: Milano/Edwards/K. Murray/J. Smith
DB: Mathieu/Jonothan Owens

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:36 pm

I think even something paralleling soccer would be better/fair. 2 halves in OT. Say 4 minutes each (or 5). That's fair. If it's still tied after, 2 point conversion attempts to decide. (Paralleling Penalty Kicks). It the regular season, don't even need OT IMO. A tie is a tie. I know people hate the idea of ties, though.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:57 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:36 pm I think even something paralleling soccer would be better/fair. 2 halves in OT. Say 4 minutes each (or 5). That's fair. If it's still tied after, 2 point conversion attempts to decide. (Paralleling Penalty Kicks). It the regular season, don't even need OT IMO. A tie is a tie. I know people hate the idea of ties, though.
I like the idea of 2 short halves (or just an extra quarter as well), but the 2 pt conversions for the win doesn't sit right with me.

I love how Hockey has it. Regular season you can do the special OT and the shootout. But in playoffs I don't want a skills competition to decide who wins. Of course, sudden death in Hockey works a lot better than football, which is why we have this thread lol I don't think there's a perfect way to do it

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:23 pm

Jigga94 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:57 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:36 pm I think even something paralleling soccer would be better/fair. 2 halves in OT. Say 4 minutes each (or 5). That's fair. If it's still tied after, 2 point conversion attempts to decide. (Paralleling Penalty Kicks). It the regular season, don't even need OT IMO. A tie is a tie. I know people hate the idea of ties, though.
I like the idea of 2 short halves (or just an extra quarter as well), but the 2 pt conversions for the win doesn't sit right with me.

I love how Hockey has it. Regular season you can do the special OT and the shootout. But in playoffs I don't want a skills competition to decide who wins. Of course, sudden death in Hockey works a lot better than football, which is why we have this thread lol I don't think there's a perfect way to do it
It didn't with me either. It's just a parallel to soccer (PK's are a way to end the game because it's already gone long enough, player safety becomes an issue). To be fair, the 2 point conversion is actually better than a shootout, because it's not a skills competition. It involves all 11 on each side, so no change to the foundation of the play to decide it, whereas a penalty shot becomes a 1 on 1 scenario (skills competition).

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:15 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:23 pm To be fair, the 2 point conversion is actually better than a shootout, because it's not a skills competition. It involves all 11 on each side, so no change to the foundation of the play to decide it, whereas a penalty shot becomes a 1 on 1 scenario (skills competition).
As a goalie who played at some high levels, PO's aren't a skills competition. The person kicking has to make a mistake for the keeper to make a save. It's a mental competition. The NFL equivilant would be kickers alternating taking FG's until one misses.
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:29 pm

murphysxm wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:15 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:23 pm To be fair, the 2 point conversion is actually better than a shootout, because it's not a skills competition. It involves all 11 on each side, so no change to the foundation of the play to decide it, whereas a penalty shot becomes a 1 on 1 scenario (skills competition).
As a goalie who played at some high levels, PO's aren't a skills competition. The person kicking has to make a mistake for the keeper to make a save. It's a mental competition. The NFL equivilant would be kickers alternating taking FG's until one misses.
Correct. I played competitive soccer myself in my younger days. Actually went to a shootout a few times, including the finals of a tournament in the USA (we were from Canada) I was actually going to say something similar about the FG's.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:01 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:23 pm
Jigga94 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:57 pm

It didn't with me either. It's just a parallel to soccer (PK's are a way to end the game because it's already gone long enough, player safety becomes an issue). To be fair, the 2 point conversion is actually better than a shootout, because it's not a skills competition. It involves all 11 on each side, so no change to the foundation of the play to decide it, whereas a penalty shot becomes a 1 on 1 scenario (skills competition).
I agree 2 pt is less skills competition than shootout. But we're talking NFL playoffs vs NHL regular season. If this were just about NFL regular season, I'd be fine with the 2 pt tries immediately after regulation

Water Buffalo
Legend
Legend

Postby Water Buffalo » Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:55 pm

Wow. Why is this so complicated? Obviously the OT rule sucks or we wouldn't be talking about it.

It took 4 pages, but someone finally said it - "If the rule is fair and balanced, why do 100% of the teams winning the coin toss receive the ball?" That's all you need to know. The exact winning % and sample size is all irrelevant. It's an advantage, and it's based purely on random chance. You guys seriously want an epic game like Bills vs Chiefs that we all just witnessed ending how it did because a coin flip decided which team gets the ball? Is that satisfying to you? Do you hate football and not want to watch more of it? Do you think Josh Allen in an overtime of playoff football in one of the best games in recent memory wouldn't be worth watching? There are zero compelling arguments for keeping the OT as it currently is and numerous arguments in favor of making it legitimately fair.

Add another 15 minute quarter and whoever has more points at the end of that quarter wins the game. We don't need to go all college football, crazy stats, starting at the 20 yard line, or any other such nonsense. Just more normal NFL football. If it's a regular season game and it's still a tie at the end of that quarter, then it ends as a tie. If it's the playoffs, play on. Add another quarter (maybe lower it to 10 minutes) and the team that didn't start the first OT quarter with the ball now gets the ball. Whoever has more points at the end of that quarter wins the game. There's zero reason to change any rules, starting locations, or anything else. Just play another quarter. That's it. Solved.

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:09 am

Water Buffalo wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:55 pm Wow. Why is this so complicated? Obviously the OT rule sucks or we wouldn't be talking about it.

It took 4 pages, but someone finally said it - "If the rule is fair and balanced, why do 100% of the teams winning the coin toss receive the ball?" That's all you need to know. The exact winning % and sample size is all irrelevant. It's an advantage, and it's based purely on random chance. You guys seriously want an epic game like Bills vs Chiefs that we all just witnessed ending how it did because a coin flip decided which team gets the ball? Is that satisfying to you? Do you hate football and not want to watch more of it? Do you think Josh Allen in an overtime of playoff football in one of the best games in recent memory wouldn't be worth watching? There are zero compelling arguments for keeping the OT as it currently is and numerous arguments in favor of making it legitimately fair.

Add another 15 minute quarter and whoever has more points at the end of that quarter wins the game. We don't need to go all college football, crazy stats, starting at the 20 yard line, or any other such nonsense. Just more normal NFL football. If it's a regular season game and it's still a tie at the end of that quarter, then it ends as a tie. If it's the playoffs, play on. Add another quarter (maybe lower it to 10 minutes) and the team that didn't start the first OT quarter with the ball now gets the ball. Whoever has more points at the end of that quarter wins the game. There's zero reason to change any rules, starting locations, or anything else. Just play another quarter. That's it. Solved.
The NFL and NFLPA have made it clear that they don't want another full quarter of football played, particularly if it still ends in a tie for regular season games.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

Water Buffalo
Legend
Legend

Postby Water Buffalo » Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:16 pm

Pac_Eddy wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:09 am
Water Buffalo wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:55 pm Wow. Why is this so complicated? Obviously the OT rule sucks or we wouldn't be talking about it.

The NFL and NFLPA have made it clear that they don't want another full quarter of football played, particularly if it still ends in a tie for regular season games.
Leave it to the NFL and especially the NFLPA to not want the fairest, simplest, most logical solution that would solve the problem indefinitely. Oh well.

Prison_Mike
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Prison_Mike » Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:25 pm

I've heard some interesting ideas floated while listening to some talk shows this week.

One of them being a "blind bid" approach where each team submits a blind bid on field position and where they'd be willing to start with the ball. i.e. if BUF submits their own 5 yard line and KC submits their own 20, Buffalo gets the ball first, but carries the risks that come with starting deep in your own territory and could end up giving KC great field position to score and end the game if they get stopped.

That one is fun but I don't think it's very realistic.

Another idea was to flip hold a 2nd coin toss BEFORE the game starts. One for regulation, one for overtime. This way you know the entire game who is going to get the ball to start overtime, thus potentially having an effect on your strategy throughout the game.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:28 pm

Pac_Eddy wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:09 am The NFL and NFLPA have made it clear that they don't want another full quarter of football played, particularly if it still ends in a tie for regular season games.
I think I have a solution:

- Winner of the toss (Team A) gets the ball.
- Team B gets one possession to match (or beat) either the 3pts or 7pts (or 8pts!) that Team A scored.
- Sudden death after that.

Both teams must possess the ball once on offense. After that, if it's still tied: next score wins.

Any objections?

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:40 pm

mild wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:28 pm
Pac_Eddy wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:09 am The NFL and NFLPA have made it clear that they don't want another full quarter of football played, particularly if it still ends in a tie for regular season games.

- Team B gets one possession to match (or beat) either the 3pts or 7pts (or 8pts!) that Team A scored.

Both teams must possess the ball once on offense. After that, if it's still tied: next score wins.

Any objections?
I'd be fine with that. I'm still not convinced that the current system is too unbalanced though. Wouldn't be surprised if that NFL adopts this change to appease the critics.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

ThunderTung
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ThunderTung » Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:15 pm

mild wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:28 pm

Any objections?
i can picture it now:

*KC goes down and scores a TD
*BUF responds with a TD and converts a 2pt conversion ending the game
*KC fans complain that the OT rules are unfair, and gives the team that gets the ball first too much of a disadvantage

I actually think it would just be easier to say that if you want to end the game on the first OT drive, you have to score a 2 pt conversion. If you kick the PAT, the other team gets the ball, if you get the 2pt conversion you win, if you miss it the other team gets the ball and all they have to do is score and kick the PAT to win.
12 man IDP 0.5 ppr

QB(1): Geno Smith
RB(2): ETN/Walker III
WR(2): Chase/Lamb
TE(1): Goedert
FLEX(2): Stevenson/Garrett Wilson
K: Mcpherson
DL(2): T. Walker/Vea
LB(2): D. Long/TJ Edwards
DB(2) Dugger/Moehrig
FLEX: Kenneth Murray
IR: J. Hicks/Milano/Marcus Jones
Bench:
QB: Mac Jones/Bryce Young
RB: Zeke/D. Harris
WR: N. Brown/Demario Douglas/Bobby Trees/Parker/Tyler Scott
TE: Bellinger/Schultz
DL: Barrett/J. Davis/Yannick/
LB: Milano/Edwards/K. Murray/J. Smith
DB: Mathieu/Jonothan Owens

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:31 pm

ThunderTung wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:15 pm i can picture it now:

*KC goes down and scores a TD
*BUF responds with a TD and converts a 2pt conversion ending the game
*KC fans complain that the OT rules are unfair, and gives the team that gets the ball first too much of a disadvantage

I actually think it would just be easier to say that if you want to end the game on the first OT drive, you have to score a 2 pt conversion. If you kick the PAT, the other team gets the ball, if you get the 2pt conversion you win, if you miss it the other team gets the ball and all they have to do is score and kick the PAT to win.
I do like it. I'm always in favour of anything that makes teams go for 2.

The only people not serviced by this is the "I think both offenses should get to touch the ball" crowd, because people ostensibly have a problem with the Defense's inability to stop the opposing O deciding the game in Overtime. I have zero doubt that you'd still favour Mahomes to win the game for KC last Sunday if it came down to a do-or-die 2pt conversion for the Kelce TD.

They're not wrong, given that the rules of the modern game have changed to favour the Offense so much. Games like that one really showed the flaws of the OT rules when it was a matchup between two unstoppable Offenses vs. two "above average" defenses.