What is your favorite aspect of your dynasty league?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
mrockwell
Role Player
Role Player

Re: What is your favorite aspect of your dynasty league?

Postby mrockwell » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:41 pm

I like the year round aspect, the value of draft picks and the amount of time and commitment everyone has to put it in. Makes it more intense when you know everyone does their research and puts a lot of time in it.
Follow me on Twitter @Mark_Rockwell85

SpaderDude
Captain
Captain

Postby SpaderDude » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:52 am

Fantasy Football in general gives all of us a vested interest in many more games that we could otherwise care less about.

In terms of Dynasty, I absolutely love the feeling of being a GM and calling all the shots for my team. The best is drafting that guy that no one has even heard of and then watching him become a star. Identifying future stud talent and getting deals done to acquire that talent before others even realize the potential of those players is a great feeling. Sometimes you almost feel like you are stealing :D
Team1

10 Team Dynasty, Roster-30, (must contain 2K & 2Def.) Starters: 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1K, 1D

Stafford, Eli, Rivers
Forte, TRich, D. Wilson, Stewart, Mark Ingram, J. Bell, Christine Michael, Mike James, Tolbert
Calvin, AJG, Julio, Antonio Brown, Gordon, Da'Rick, Streater
Tony G, Finley, Housler, L. Green, Gresham

5, 2014 First Rounders

Team2

12 team, 30-man rosters, 1ppr. Starters: 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1Flex (RB/WR/TE), 1K, 1D

Brees, Big Ben
Forte, TRich, D. Wilson, Ingram, Stewart, C. Michael, Franklin, D. Brown, Helu, B. Rainey, CJ Anderson, Tolbert
Calvin, Nicks, Gordon, Stills, Toon, M. Wilson, Drew Davis, Da'Rick
Gronk, Daniels, G. Graham, Celek

WashingtonFever
Role Player
Role Player

Postby WashingtonFever » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:48 pm

EyeoftheGator wrote:I've already started thinking about creating a new dynasty startup for next year. I'm curious to hear what people's favorite aspects of the league are (taxi squad rules, lineup settings, playoff seeding, etc...).

Anyone that gives something good will get the limited fame that comes with credit for the rule in the new league's bylaws. :thumbup:
Were't you looking for rules and what not instead of just comments about why dynasty is far above redraft leagues?

If so...

Here are some rules that we have in our league that could be viewed as a little different.

Because defenses don't retire, sustain injuries, etc... we voted this rule through:
A team may only hold one defense coming into the free agent/acquisition draft. One week before the rookie/free agent draft, each team must decide which defense they will carry into the draft and all other defenses will be dropped and available to be drafted.

We just passed this rule this year, so it has yet to play out, but it could make for some interesting trades and decisions as teams will be able to get back more w/o having to drop players: (We'll see how it goes)
Starting on Tuesday of week 8, the roster size is allowed to increase by 1 to 24; however, this is only allowed to increase through trading. This will allow teams that wish to trade one player for two players the chance to not have to drop another player on their team until the subsequent year cut-down. If a trade occurs that increases the roster size, the players involved in the trade (receiving/increasing roster) may not be dropped until after the trade deadline has passed in week 11. If a trade does occur during the week 8 to week 11 period that does not increase the roster, those players may be dropped when the owner chooses. This is meant to cut off any manipulation that may be done of “tossing in” players to help increase someone’s roster during these weeks when the goal of the receiving team is to drop them for a free agent anyway. A player in the trade may be placed on the injured reserve, thus freeing up a roster spot as long as the player is considered “able” to be placed there per ESPN (see above).

SpaderDude
Captain
Captain

Postby SpaderDude » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:36 pm

^^^^^^

To take your rule even further, since we do not do IDP's, all defenses are thrown back into the FA pool and are a part of the draft every year. We do the same with kickers actually.

Even though there is a lot of turnover from year to year, there are some defenses that are pretty consistent. We just liked the idea of having them in play for everyone each year.
Team1

10 Team Dynasty, Roster-30, (must contain 2K & 2Def.) Starters: 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1K, 1D

Stafford, Eli, Rivers
Forte, TRich, D. Wilson, Stewart, Mark Ingram, J. Bell, Christine Michael, Mike James, Tolbert
Calvin, AJG, Julio, Antonio Brown, Gordon, Da'Rick, Streater
Tony G, Finley, Housler, L. Green, Gresham

5, 2014 First Rounders

Team2

12 team, 30-man rosters, 1ppr. Starters: 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1Flex (RB/WR/TE), 1K, 1D

Brees, Big Ben
Forte, TRich, D. Wilson, Ingram, Stewart, C. Michael, Franklin, D. Brown, Helu, B. Rainey, CJ Anderson, Tolbert
Calvin, Nicks, Gordon, Stills, Toon, M. Wilson, Drew Davis, Da'Rick
Gronk, Daniels, G. Graham, Celek

klyepod
Role Player
Role Player

Postby klyepod » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:43 pm

-16 team league... just loving it. 4 divisions of 4 teams, basically acts at 1/2 capacity of the NFL. (6 teams make the playoffs and all earn their money back)

-Awarding money earnings for MVP and ROTY (at least if teams suck they can always attempt to draft a stud and win the ROTY money the following year; encourages the crappy teams not to quit). MVP and ROTY candidates only earn the points in the fantasy games that they start.

-This one is wild and I HIGHLY recommend it: 3 weeks of every regular season we have it so that you play two teams at once. So when the fantasy regular season is over you have 16 games played instead of 13. Makes you feel more like an NFL team. Also teams are forced to make moves and be clutch during those double-header weeks. This year the double-headers happen weeks 1, 4, and 10 (can't be on bye weeks). Also make sure that teams don't play each other twice on the double-header weeks as owners generally don't like this.

-Since the fantasy finals conclude week 16, on week 17 we have a pro-bowl game with the best players from the 2 conferences. And name an mvp from that game also. We name pro-bowlers again based on points that they earn while starting in fantasy games. We name starters and reserves for each conferences pro-bowl teams but only the starters play in week 17.

Road Warrior
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby Road Warrior » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:54 pm

Hey Gator, don't I know you? Hmmmm

How can you not love Dynasty Leagues? It has everything... from year long action, to building friendships, to having to know your rookie class (even if you don't follow the college game). Plus, bad trades can haunt you a lifetime.

About the only thing I like about redrafts is when a commish comes up with some ridiculous idea for a league that breaks all the rules and makes me work twice as hard as any other league.... :twisted:

dlf_ericd
Administrator

Postby dlf_ericd » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:56 pm

LOL @RoadWarrior

A couple of my favorite things:

- Weekly articles written by the commish or co-commish either breaking down the game of the week or an interesting dynamic in the league.
- Historical records and/or background on head-to-head games between owners
- Small taxi squad that other teams can sign players off of, but have to keep active for the rest of the season.
On twitter? Hit me up @DLFootball

Road Warrior
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby Road Warrior » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:40 pm

Hey there @DLF.

One thing our guys just love is someone writing up a weekly 'Predictions' column (with predicted point spreads) and being 'not so' politically correct about it. They eat it up. Our 'Swami' isn't vulgar, but tends to point out known jabbing tactics (in a fun way) of each of the owners.

Getting back to my earlier point of knowing everyone for a long period of time, you can do that and it adds to the weekly fun.

If he misses a week, there is hell to be paid.