What we paying for TLaw in SF?

Given the increase in popularity for SF and 2QB leagues, this forum is intended for topics relating to these formats.
Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: What we paying for TLaw in SF?

Postby Space Cowboy » Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:56 am

Media had nothing to do with this, he's lucky he escaped his bar incident.

Gruden firing was media driven.

sugbear65
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby sugbear65 » Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:09 pm

Space Cowboy wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:56 am Media had nothing to do with this, he's lucky he escaped his bar incident.

Gruden firing was media driven.
Gruden resigned, not got fired. And it was for saying some horribly racist and homophobic stuff in emails. I guess you can call it media driven in the fact that if the media hadn’t reported on it, he wouldn’t have brought it to light himself.

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:44 pm

sugbear65 wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:09 pm Gruden resigned, not got fired.
semantics, he resigned before he was going to be fired and money probably drove that decision
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:27 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:14 am The guy is now fired. It's all it takes. Hear say. The general public grumbles, and things change, because it all comes down to the bottom line, and yes, the media influenced this. Why else would Khan fire him and guarantee a lot of lost money otherwise?
Because he's bad at his job? Because Shad canvassed the opinion of his staff and found the verdict wanting? Because every post-game presser was becoming more and more cursed/checked-out/circus-esque, and Urb was clearly out of his depth at coaching millionaire athletes?

It is honestly "name your reason". I respect your opinion FF, but I'm with DD on this one: this is a bizarre take.

Quick game: "Hear Say or Actual Event?"
- Hired (and then had to fire) a known disgraced racist as his strength and conditioning coach in the preseason (Really Happened)
- Lost to the Bengals (Really Happened) and didn't fly home with his team (Yup)
- Had a really fun night on the dance floor with a nice lady that went a tiny bit viral (Really Happened)
- Asked his coaches "What they'd won" and chewed them all out (This obviously happened, but I will be kind to you and say HEARSAY)
- Oversaw a 2-11 campaign including a shutout loss to the Divisional foe Titans that preceded his firing (Really Happened)
- Was verbally abusive to his coaching staff and his players, and made enemies of nearly everyone in the building (Hearsay)
- Kicked his Kicker, Josh Lambo (Allegedly!)

You can view the Kicker as the reason for his firing if you want, but I'm going to go with "the straw that broke the camels back". And on that "hearsay" thing... like... how does it benefit Josh Lambo to make that sh-- up? Why would he have a reason to lie, or to wade in to these waters when he had already gotten out of them? And if it -was- just hearsay - then why was Urb fired once it became public news? Smoke -> Fire.

Pick your reason. There were many. Farewell Urban, we thankyou for your services to the content mill. May we never suffer the likes of you again.

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:40 pm

He asked his assitants what they've won? haha too funny I hadn't heard that one.

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:49 pm

The most important part of his firing (aside from being bad at literally every aspect of his job) was that he ruined TLaw and also lost TLaws confidence in him as a head coach. Ownership is a thousand percent more invested in TLaw than they are Urban Meyer. Thinking urb was fired due to the general public “grumbling” is hilarious. They probably have known for some time he was out the door and were just waiting for a chance to fire him without having to pay him, which the Lambo story may have provided.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:51 pm

Space Cowboy wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:40 pm He asked his assitants what they've won? haha too funny I hadn't heard that one.
Via Tom Pelissero, of NFL Network (y'know, the officially sanctioned news appendage of the NFL)
https://www.nfl.com/news/tension-boilin ... yers-staff
In the past two weeks alone, sources say:

- Receiver Marvin Jones -- one of the locker room's most respected and mild-mannered veterans -- became so angry with Meyer's public and private criticism of the receiver group that he left the facility until other staff members convinced him to come back and had a heated argument with Meyer during practice.

- During a staff meeting, Meyer delivered a biting message that he's a winner and his assistant coaches are losers, according to several people informed of the contents of the meeting, challenging each coach individually to explain when they've ever won and forcing them to defend their résumés.

- Contrary to his public statements that it was injury-related, Meyer ordered Robinson's benching after an opening-drive fumble in last week's 37-7 road loss to the Rams, then had running backs coach Bernie Parmalee stop Robinson from re-entering the game, insisting Carlos Hyde (who played for Meyer at Ohio State) stay in. Only after Lawrence questioned Meyer on the sideline about Robinson's absence was Robinson allowed to return late in the second quarter.
It's all great, great stuff. If you want to hear the interview where Pelissero literally plays "Hearsay or Really Happened" for every one of these reported story-beats, and where I heard him mention the staff churn that was already happening and reportedly going to keep happening, it was here with Rich Eisen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCmgCIlVf18

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:06 pm

I also forgot:

- Brought in Tim Tebow (Really Happened)
- Prolonged a drawn-out QB battle between Franchise 1.01 Trevor Lawrence and Gardner Minshew (Really Happened)
- Immediately traded away Gardner Minshew for chump change / a 6th rounder (Really Happened)

This news burst today post-firing is insane. It's all coming out now.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:27 pm

A lot of these great college coaches just don't work in the pros. They're too used to having complete control of everything, being worshipped by fans and boosters, and coaching kids. Sounds like Urban walked in with a God complex.

Won't be shocked if he gets another high profile college job in a few years.

I can't see anyone selling Lawrence low in superflex right now. They'll at least wait for the next coaching hire and the Jaguars absolutely have to get that one right.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:33 pm

mild wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:06 pm I also forgot:

- Brought in Tim Tebow (Really Happened)
- Prolonged a drawn-out QB battle between Franchise 1.01 Trevor Lawrence and Gardner Minshew (Really Happened)
- Immediately traded away Gardner Minshew for chump change / a 6th rounder (Really Happened)

This news burst today post-firing is insane. It's all coming out now.
It was funny when people were defending the Tebow signing.

Urban Meyer walked into Jacksonville, thought he could do whatever he wanted, and that the players and coaches would just hold their breath. Based on the leaks, people have been trying to get him out since his first month.

honcho55
All Pro
All Pro

Postby honcho55 » Sat Dec 18, 2021 2:54 am

I need to dig a little deeper on this but on the surface, I dunno about saying anything about college coaches going to the NFL, vs anyone at all going to the NFL. Most don’t make it regardless. Those that do make it are short lived at that.

Edit: I thought the Urban Meyer hire was dumb when it happened. Not defending that move. Just commenting on hiring college guys in general. In the same edit I’ll admit that I thought Chip Kelly was a decent gamble, although definitely a gamble. Don’t feel like I need to elaborate there, everyone paying attention knew the upside and also why it didn’t work out.
main league, half PPR, all TDs 6, -3 for INT
12 team. 2019 champ, 2020 runner up, ‘21 3rd
start 2SF, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2WRT

QB: T Lawrence, K Cousins, R Wilson, Z Wilson
RB: K Walker, T Ettiene, JK Dobbins, D Gore, J Hasty, D Johnson, L Rountree
WR: JJ, AJB, A Cooper, Juju, C Kirk, J Dotson, N Westbrook-Ikhine, I McKenzie
TE. T Kelce, Pitts, Albert O, D Parham, J O’Shaunessy

1.03, 1.11, 2.02, 2.09
Extra 24 1st

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:09 am

honcho55 wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 2:54 am I need to dig a little deeper on this but on the surface, I dunno about saying anything about college coaches going to the NFL, vs anyone at all going to the NFL. Most don’t make it regardless. Those that do make it are short lived at that.

Edit: I thought the Urban Meyer hire was dumb when it happened. Not defending that move. Just commenting on hiring college guys in general. In the same edit I’ll admit that I thought Chip Kelly was a decent gamble, although definitely a gamble. Don’t feel like I need to elaborate there, everyone paying attention knew the upside and also why it didn’t work out.
Great college coaches

Emphasize the great, because those are typically the coaches who are most entrenched in the college way of doing things and being put on a pedestal by institutions, boosters, networks, and fans: Lou Holtz, Steve Spurrier, Nick Saban, Urban Meyer, Butch Davis, Greg Schiano, Bobby Petrino, Dennis Erickson, Chip Kelly are ones that come to mind.

There are some great ones who successfully made the leap: Carroll, Harbaugh, Jimmy Johnson

halfbaked88
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby halfbaked88 » Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:43 am

If I were the Jags I'm not hiring any more "experimental" coaches. They need someone with experience. No one outta college or a coordinator stepping up. Hire someone who's been there before. A super bowl winning Head Coach... Doug Peterson.

Nothing would make me happier than seeing Peterson down there in Florida.

And as someone who "overpaid" for TLaw in the middle of this season, my dynasty fate is pretty much married to the guy. I'm not even looking to sell until I see who the next HC and what Free Agent WRs they bring in next year.

MucBuc
Captain
Captain

Postby MucBuc » Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:09 am

halfbaked88 wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:43 am If I were the Jags I'm not hiring any more "experimental" coaches. They need someone with experience. No one outta college or a coordinator stepping up. Hire someone who's been there before. A super bowl winning Head Coach... Doug Peterson.
Agreed. Teams don't very often get to pick a prospect like Lawrence to be their franchise QB, so they need to surround him with the best possible supporting cast and stability, instead of finding out a year from now that the new coach may be an excellent coordinator somewhere, but just is not HC material.
That being said, I think Bevell may actually not be the worst option. He already has extensive experience with young QBs (helped develop Rodgers and Wilson in their rookie years) and has already some hand-picked players on the roster, so he doesn't have to blow everything up and start from scratch like a completely new coach probably would. But of course the next few weeks will be critical for his chances to land that job, so it will be interesting to see how the teams responds.
3x teams in 32-team standard PPR + IDP leagues

It doesn't matter what we want. Once we get it, we want something else.

dhanks91
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby dhanks91 » Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:15 am

MucBuc wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:09 am
halfbaked88 wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:43 am If I were the Jags I'm not hiring any more "experimental" coaches. They need someone with experience. No one outta college or a coordinator stepping up. Hire someone who's been there before. A super bowl winning Head Coach... Doug Peterson.
Agreed. Teams don't very often get to pick a prospect like Lawrence to be their franchise QB, so they need to surround him with the best possible supporting cast and stability, instead of finding out a year from now that the new coach may be an excellent coordinator somewhere, but just is not HC material.
That being said, I think Bevell may actually not be the worst option. He already has extensive experience with young QBs (helped develop Rodgers and Wilson in their rookie years) and has already some hand-picked players on the roster, so he doesn't have to blow everything up and start from scratch like a completely new coach probably would. But of course the next few weeks will be critical for his chances to land that job, so it will be interesting to see how the teams responds.
Bevell is a nice option there, even more so if he wins some games down the stretch. If they bring in some WR talent in the offseason (Arob reunion?) and find a coach with experience in the run game I think Lawrence can make some positive steps over the next couple of years. Finding a way to utilize Jrob and Etienne next year could be key to protecting Lawrence while he acclimates to the NFL.