Dynasty ethics

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Dynasty ethics

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:12 am

If you are paid through a year, for this argument, let's say 2022, and you plan to not be playing after that year, is it OK to move the future of that team for win now pieces? Is sacrificing youth OK to try and win, knowing you won't be around to have to "clean it up"? All draft picks of future years after that would be there, as you have to pay to move them, so this would strictly be player oriented.

Genuinely curious how people feel about this. My current thinking is, I've paid for the year, it's my team to as I will until I leave, but curious if anyone has a different take, as I have thought about the idea of managing it as if it was mine indefinitely, but that becomes a problematic mind game with myself.
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Well done steak goes in the trash.

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Dynasty ethics

Postby abloom » Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:15 am

You are allowed to run your team however you deem appropriate provided you are following all league rules.

Unless the league rules say that all moves must be made with the idea of bettering your team immediately AND in the future (unlikely) then you're all set.
Tm 1
12 team, 1 ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,2F,1D,1K

Q: Kyler, AR
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, chandler, T tracey
W: Evans, Chase, Mooney, Collins, Dell, Pickens
T: Kelce, Goedert, T johnson
D: nyj
K: Sanders

Tm 2
12 team, 1ppr (1.5 TE), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,1SF,1F,1D,1K

Q: Murray, Watson, Maye, McCarthy, R Wilson, howell
R: Swift, Walker, gus bus, Moss, Zeke,
W: Puka, Metcalf, Dell, Cooper, DJM, K Allen
T: Kelce, Pitts, t Johnson, bell
K: Tucker
D: CLE

Tm 3
14 team, SF, 1PPR (2 TE), 1Q,2R,3W,1T,1SF,2F

Q: Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson, Stafford, heinekie, flacco, browning
R: Mostert, walker, a Jones, Charb, Z White, R white, McLaughlin, wilson
W: Waddle, A St Brown, K Allen, Cooper, Nuk, watson
T: Kelce, Schultz, Thomas, Ferguson

Tm 4
https://www49.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0004&O=01

Tm 5
https://www45.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =07&F=0009

Tm 6
https://www46.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0013&O=07

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:34 am

As long as no picks are involved, go for it.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, CWilliams
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JFord, Corum, JWright
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, Q Johnston, DeDouglas, MCorley
TE: Goedert, Okongwo
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, DLloyd; (DE/DL) Sieler; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, Singletary, AJD, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, VJefferson, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jenkins.math » Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:02 am

In this scenario, I think the moves should at least be justifiable. If I was a commish in that league I would have some issues if you are trading Dobbins + ETN for Fournette + Dalton Schultz or something similarly egregiously short sighted. Other than that, you paid, it's your team until the end of the year. Go for it.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:24 am

jenkins.math wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:02 am In this scenario, I think the moves should at least be justifiable. If I was a commish in that league I would have some issues if you are trading Dobbins + ETN for Fournette + Dalton Schultz or something similarly egregiously short sighted. Other than that, you paid, it's your team until the end of the year. Go for it.
Agree here

Dibbles
MVP
MVP

Postby Dibbles » Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:49 am

Jigga94 wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:24 am
jenkins.math wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:02 am In this scenario, I think the moves should at least be justifiable. If I was a commish in that league I would have some issues if you are trading Dobbins + ETN for Fournette + Dalton Schultz or something similarly egregiously short sighted. Other than that, you paid, it's your team until the end of the year. Go for it.
Agree here
My thoughts as well.

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:00 am

I think you have to let a person run the team as they will. Yeah, when they trade away long term pieces for win now, the team may suffer for future strength, but if they shop around, you all have a chance to make a deal with them.

The key is to get a good replacement for when they leave. You may have to add incentives, like half or no league fee the first year.

I'm really against a rule limiting what one team can do if it's not collusion. Rules need to apply the same to everyone.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

gogobradyarm
All Pro
All Pro

Postby gogobradyarm » Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:25 am

I don't think it's unethical to go all in and disregard the future (knowing you won't be back). it's not like the team will completely crumble not having picks, it should have good players.

This is more of a challenge if you trade future picks, and didn't pay future dues. But IMO, that is on the league commissioner for not introducing better rules on paying for future picks.
12 Team - PPR - 30man (2 IR) - 6pt PPTD- 1 QB - 2 RB - 2 WR - 1 Flex - 1 TE
QB: Jalen Hurts, Anthony Richardson, Aidan O'Connell
RB: McCaffrey, Barkley, Jacobs, Zamir White, Jaleel McLaughlin, Zach Evans
WR: AJB, Olave, Aiyuk, London, Nabers, Odunze, Diontae Johnson, Rashee Rice, Ja’lynn Polk, Dotson, Bateman
TE: Pitts, Likely, Mayer, Stover

2025: 2x 1st
Champ: 2020, 2021
Year 9 of my league

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:27 am

gogobradyarm wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:25 am I don't think it's unethical to go all in and disregard the future (knowing you won't be back). it's not like the team will completely crumble not having picks, it should have good players.

This is more of a challenge if you trade future picks, and didn't pay future dues. But IMO, that is on the league commissioner for not introducing better rules on paying for future picks.
Yeah, I don't play in leagues that don't require payment for futures. That's Dynasty for dummies, as far as I'm concerned.
Janiel Dones Truther

Habaneros make the best tasting hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

Plank
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Plank » Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:51 am

Personal integrity matters ...
@PlankMelody

pvillebiker
Captain
Captain

Postby pvillebiker » Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:33 pm

This is really simple. totally depends on league bylaws. This should be clearly addressed as a league before starting.

All of my leagues prevent trading picks more than next year.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:41 pm

Our league has a slightly different solution - you can only trade picks for years you're committing to paying league dues for.

If you trade a 2023 1st, then congrats on paying the 2023 league fees for your team.

It's a nice way around this problem, and means that if someone -does- quit then the rebuilding new owner at least gets to play for free in the first, and maybe even second years.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:05 pm

Plank wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:51 am Personal integrity matters ...
That's where I'm at. I believe it's my team to do as I will, but I wouldn't make any trades as suggested above, like Dobbins (an injured asset) for Schultz and Julio or something like that. I wouldn't sell the farm like that, that's for sure.
Janiel Dones Truther

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:07 pm

mild wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:41 pm Our league has a slightly different solution - you can only trade picks for years you're committing to paying league dues for.

If you trade a 2023 1st, then congrats on paying the 2023 league fees for your team.

It's a nice way around this problem, and means that if someone -does- quit then the rebuilding new owner at least gets to play for free in the first, and maybe even second years.
Yeah, we do that in all my leagues, but most are capped on 2 years out trading.
Janiel Dones Truther

cazzie33
All Pro
All Pro

Postby cazzie33 » Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:25 am

mild wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:41 pm Our league has a slightly different solution - you can only trade picks for years you're committing to paying league dues for.

Provided the commish doesn’t charge the new guy & pocket the money 💰 (now there’s an ethics question) :snooty: