Rookie QB discussion

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Re: Rookie QB discussion

Postby Orenthal Shames » Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:22 pm

Trevor Lawrence has the highest rate of uncatchable passes thrown in the NFL, worst percentage since Tim Tebow.
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco Stidham
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Sutton, Downs, Mims, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Goedert, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.06

SteveMaddensShoes
Legend
Legend

Postby SteveMaddensShoes » Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:29 pm

I wonder how many years went by before Tom Brady was respected in dynasty circles?

Feels like there is still some leftover bias against Mac at this point. That said I'm not ready to anoint him as the 2nd best in the class. He isn't over the hump yet. Everyone should be waiting to see what happens when a game turns into a shootout. And let's see how he responds when teams get a little film on him.
TEAM 1 - 12 man SF. ppr, TEP 1.65 ppr

11 starters - QB, RB(2) WR(3) TE, SF, Flex(3)

Stroud, Kyler, Bryce Young, Anthony Richardson, Minshew, Trey Lance, Dalton l, Mike White

Breece, Achane, AJ Dillon, Justice Hill, Evan Hull, Chris Rodgriquez

Chase, Lamb, Waddle, Olave, London Drake, Demario Davis, Jake Bobo

Kyle Pitts, Mark Andrews, Kincaid, Schoonmaker

24 picks - 1x2, 3,4,5

Team 2-
12 man SF, .25ppc, .5ppr rbs, 1 ppr wr, 1.5 ppr TE

Joe Burrow, Trevor Lawerence, Jake Haehner, Jake Browning

JT, Kendre Miller,, K Ingram, Ty Chandler, Michael Carter, Kenny Macintosh, Sean Tucker

Puka, Rondale, Mooney, Wan’dale, Terrace Marshall, DPJ, Justyn Ross, Xavier Hutchinson,

Kyle Pitts, Luke Musgrave, Juwan Johnson, Darnell Washington, Jelani Woods, Elijah Higgins

24 - 1st x 3, 2nd x 2, 4th x 3 ,5

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:33 pm

Patsfan86 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:33 pm If Mac comes out next week vs the Bucs and throws for something like 300 yards and 3 Tds are we going to all be on the same page with him? I understand im biased, i also understand he has looked like a game manager at points. I also think that through 2 games he has looked like the best rookie QB and has shown way more positives than negatives. My question is what will it take for most people to view him as the QB1 of the 2021 rookies ? Ps i still doubt he will ever be thought of that highly in fantasy circles, so this pertains to real life quarterbacking.
No bias either which way, I already think Mac is really good and has a live arm.

But boy oh boy if you think he's going to get 300-and-3 against the Bucs, you got another thing coming... might want to adjust your expectations a touch.

This man was last seen eeking out a 186/0/0 day against the New York Jets "defense". It was dink-and-dunk city.

Cast your mind to known competitive psycho "Thomas Edward Patrick Brady Jr." and everything you know about him, his nature when slighted, and what it might mean to play against his old team and coach.

On a Sunday Night game.
On National TV.
In Foxborough.

Think he might have anything to say to his teammates before they run out of that tunnel? :lol:

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:47 pm

mild wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:33 pm
Patsfan86 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:33 pm If Mac comes out next week vs the Bucs and throws for something like 300 yards and 3 Tds are we going to all be on the same page with him? I understand im biased, i also understand he has looked like a game manager at points. I also think that through 2 games he has looked like the best rookie QB and has shown way more positives than negatives. My question is what will it take for most people to view him as the QB1 of the 2021 rookies ? Ps i still doubt he will ever be thought of that highly in fantasy circles, so this pertains to real life quarterbacking.
No bias either which way, I already think Mac is really good and has a live arm.

But boy oh boy if you think he's going to get 300-and-3 against the Bucs, you got another thing coming... might want to adjust your expectations a touch.

This man was last seen eeking out a 186/0/0 day against the New York Jets "defense". It was dink-and-dunk city.

Cast your mind to known competitive psycho "Thomas Edward Patrick Brady Jr." and everything you know about him, his nature when slighted, and what it might mean to play against his old team and coach.

On a Sunday Night game.
On National TV.
In Foxborough.

Think he might have anything to say to his teammates before they run out of that tunnel? :lol:
Not that I expect NE to win this, but referencing his stat line in a game where they're up multiple scores all game and the opposing offense looks like a dumpster fire probably isn't going to tell us much of anything about how he's going to look vs one of the best offenses in the NFL vs the GoaT.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:50 pm

I wish game manager didn't have a negative connotation. I bet the Jets and Jags wished that their rookie QBs managed their games a bit better...

Edit: looks like this thread moved pretty fast lol and cheers to Ice for already hitting on it

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:54 pm

Orenthal Shames wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:22 pm Trevor Lawrence has the highest rate of uncatchable passes thrown in the NFL, worst percentage since Tim Tebow.
Maybe they should have kept him on the roster. :lol:
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:54 pm

Sriracha wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:47 pm Not that I expect NE to win this, but referencing his stat line in a game where they're up multiple scores all game and the opposing DEFENSE looks like a dumpster fire probably isn't going to tell us much of anything about how he's going to look vs one of the best DEFENSES in the NFL vs the GoaT.
Fixed that for you.

You're saying he should have thrown for at least 1 TD in a game his team won 25-6? I agree!

You're saying it's going to be much harder going from perhaps the worst team in the league in a 1PM game to perhaps the best and most complete team in a prime time game on Sunday night? I agree!

C'mon. 300 and 3 against the Bucs as a Rookie is expecting a lot. He's been fine but he's not been a world beater.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:57 pm

mild wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:54 pm
Sriracha wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:47 pm Not that I expect NE to win this, but referencing his stat line in a game where they're up multiple scores all game and the opposing DEFENSE looks like a dumpster fire probably isn't going to tell us much of anything about how he's going to look vs one of the best DEFENSES in the NFL vs the GoaT.
Fixed that for you.

You're saying he should have thrown for at least 1 TD in a game his team won 25-6? I agree!

You're saying it's going to be much harder going from perhaps the worst team in the league in a 1PM game to perhaps the best and most complete team in a prime time game on Sunday night? I agree!

C'mon. 300 and 3 against the Bucs as a Rookie is expecting a lot. He's been fine but he's not been a world beater.
I mean patsfan asked IF Mac did that, would people be all in. So it seems like since no one thinks he can, if he does it will change people's opinions. Right?

ThunderTung
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ThunderTung » Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:17 pm

Jigga94 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:50 pm I wish game manager didn't have a negative connotation. I bet the Jets and Jags wished that their rookie QBs managed their games a bit better...

Edit: looks like this thread moved pretty fast lol and cheers to Ice for already hitting on it
I'd agree mostly. Mac has done an incredibly job at protecting the ball, my main concern comes with the conservativeness of that offense right now.

His competition percentage is all nice and good, but at some point he has to start taking some risks and pushing the ball downfield a bit, even if that completion percentage comes down some. The big question is if these 2 yard passes and screens are him checking down because he's too timid to take that risk? or if its the play calling trying to keep him comfortable and avoid a turnover disaster like we saw from Wilson this last week.

I'd also like to see some throws into the end zone. NE's RedZone offense has been absolutely atrocious and I think he's only thrown into the end zone like once or twice
12 man IDP 0.5 ppr

QB(1): Geno Smith
RB(2): ETN/Walker III
WR(2): Chase/Lamb
TE(1): Goedert
FLEX(2): Stevenson/Garrett Wilson
K: Mcpherson
DL(2): T. Walker/Vea
LB(2): D. Long/TJ Edwards
DB(2) Dugger/Moehrig
FLEX: Kenneth Murray
IR: J. Hicks/Milano/Marcus Jones
Bench:
QB: Mac Jones/Bryce Young
RB: Zeke/D. Harris
WR: N. Brown/Demario Douglas/Bobby Trees/Parker/Tyler Scott
TE: Bellinger/Schultz
DL: Barrett/J. Davis/Yannick/
LB: Milano/Edwards/K. Murray/J. Smith
DB: Mathieu/Jonothan Owens

Patsfan86
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Patsfan86 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:18 am

mild wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:54 pm
Fixed that for you.

Im not expecting this at all, im just throwing a good number out there just to make a point. What i expect is a blow out embarrassment by the Bucs and for Mac to look like a true rookie for the first time. How he recovers from it will be very important to see as a pats fan.

I also mentioned 300-3 because i think this game gets out of hand and Mac is forced to throw. If that happens he can hit these marks but his statline may look something like 300-3 along with 2-3 picks, a fumble, and a few sacks.

Basically as a Pats fan i think Mac is playing with house money in this game. If he looks horrible then chalk it up to a rookie having a bad game. If he keeps it close then its very exciting and if they win then oh boy.

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Postby abloom » Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:07 pm

Davis mills looking like the 2nd best QB in the class behind Jones.

:lol:
Team #1: 2nd place
12 team, 1 ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,2F,1D,1K

Q: Kyler, AR
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, chandler
W: Evans, Chase, Mooney, Collins, Dell, Pickens
T: Kelce, Goedert
D: nyj
K: Sanders

Team #2: back to back champion
12 team, 1ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,1SF,1F,1D,1K

Q: R Wilson, Murray, Watson
R: Swift, Walker, gus bus
W: Puka, Metcalf, Dell, Cooper, DJM, K Allen
T: Kelce, Pitts
K: Tucker
D: CLE

Team #3: back to back champion
14 team, SF, 1PPR (2PPR for TE), 1Q,2R,3W,1T,1SF,2F

Q: Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson, Heinicke, walker
R: Mostert, walker, a Jones, Wilson, Charb, Z White, McLaughlin, freeman, d Williams, Reynolds,
W: Waddle, A St Brown, K Allen, Cooper, Nuk, Juju
T: Kelce, Schultz, Thomas, Ferguson

Team #4 3rd
https://www49.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0004&O=01

Team #5 4th
https://www45.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =07&F=0009

Team #6 orphan
https://www46.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0013&O=07

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:23 pm

abloom wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:07 pm Davis mills looking like the 2nd best QB in the class behind Jones.

:lol:
Let's take a moment to give David Culley and Brandin Cooks their props.

They've put both Tyrod Taylor and Davis Mills in position to look like possible franchise QB...

That's incredibly impressive.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:14 am

Nice breakdown of Zach Wilson's 4 INT's by JT O'Sullivan of the QB school here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju64C6mkSPc

TLDR: it's all pretty bad. Awful decisions by Zach, some poor mechanics with his footwork too - but there's pretty horrible problems with the play design, the protection is awful, the route running by his WR's is both poor and not on the same page as Zach in places.

It's all teething problems. I would guess Zach will work it out just based on what I've seen of him in interviews + heard of his study habits. They're pretty much all rookies learning on the job, though - Saleh, LaFleur, Zach, and our beautiful boi Elijah. It makes sense that there's a lot they're going to have to learn the hard way first.

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:34 pm

mild wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:14 am Nice breakdown of Zach Wilson's 4 INT's by JT O'Sullivan of the QB school here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju64C6mkSPc

TLDR: it's all pretty bad. Awful decisions by Zach, some poor mechanics with his footwork too - but there's pretty horrible problems with the play design, the protection is awful, the route running by his WR's is both poor and not on the same page as Zach in places.

It's all teething problems. I would guess Zach will work it out just based on what I've seen of him in interviews + heard of his study habits. They're pretty much all rookies learning on the job, though - Saleh, LaFleur, Zach, and our beautiful boi Elijah. It makes sense that there's a lot they're going to have to learn the hard way first.
Thanks for posting that. Wilson has his rookie issues for sure but Corey Davis simply isn’t a playmaker and the team around him is doing him zero favors, not to mention zero running game

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:35 pm

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:34 pm Thanks for posting that. Wilson has his rookie issues for sure but Corey Davis simply isn’t a playmaker and the team around him is doing him zero favors, not to mention zero running game
You're welcome DD. Yeah, you're not wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-yBHeLY-RI

How about some more? Seems like both AlexRollins and JT both had the same idea for content for their channels this week. AR hits on the non-Zach Wilson issues here quite nicely I think - in short, the line is absolutely awful and unable to execute even when the playcall is correct, Play Action is busted, Zach Wilson is the most pressured QB in the league and 2nd most when doing Play Action, he's been sacked 10 times already, and the WR route running isn't stretching/stressing the defense with spacing - frequently they're right next to each other and the play design AND route running is poor.

Telling money quote: "I was going to title this video "How Belichick confused Zach Wilson for 4 interceptions" but the more I watched it, the more I realised all BB did was force the Jets to be sound in their scheme - something which they could not execute" (paraphrased from memory)

Anyway, that's all fine and good and educational, but I know what we all came here for was the viral video of a 12 year old explaining how bad the Jets are in 30 seconds flat, so lets watch that instead. :lol:
https://twitter.com/edsbs/status/1440649661048451086