Gus Edwards Discussion Thread

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Ice
Legend
Legend

Re: Contenders: What are we paying for Gus Edwards?

Postby Ice » Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:03 am

Shoreline Steamers wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:37 am
Yarnith wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:24 am I find the 2nd and a depth player far more palatable a price for a player who on your contending team should be your 3rd RB/bi-week filler otherwise I think your team was not truly a contender to begin with.
That makes perfect sense to me. Had I hung onto Gus, that's exactly where he would have slotted in for me behind Chubb/Mixon. I probably would have used him as a flex some too, since we're non-ppr. But yes, if you're adding him with the idea that he's now your RB2 and it's off to the playoffs, you're likely a bit too optimistic on your team's chances.
One reason the Ravens paid Edwards starter money this past June is from week 8 on he was solid. Teams don't shell out 9 million dollar RB contracts if you can't play. He just turned 26 and has low mileage. I suspect he will be solid for 2-3 years so he is an attractive asset.

Fantasy wise Dobbins ranked 19th and Edwards ranked 20th over the last 1/2 in ppr leagues. With Dobbins out of the picture, Edwards should easily be a start worthy RB2 weekly in the 13-15 point weekly range with upside as their RB1 this year.

I own him in a few leagues and would want a 1st or a solid young WR with upside before I sold a relatively young start worthy RB.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:20 am

Ice wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:03 am One reason the Ravens paid Edwards starter money this past June is from week 8 on he was solid. Teams don't shell out 9 million dollar RB contracts if you can't play. He just turned 26 and has low mileage. I suspect he will be solid for 2-3 years so he is an attractive asset.

Fantasy wise Dobbins ranked 19th and Edwards ranked 20th over the last 1/2 in ppr leagues. With Dobbins out of the picture, Edwards should easily be a start worthy RB2 weekly in the 13-15 point weekly range with upside as their RB1 this year.

I own him in a few leagues and would want a 1st or a solid young WR with upside before I sold a relatively young start worthy RB.
Keep in mind, I'm absolutely on board with Gus as a productive starter and have been advocating for him in this thread. The point I agree with is if your RB depth is at the point where he's now your best option as a #2RB in a start 2 league, your depth probably isn't sufficient to think you're a serious contender.

It could happen, but you'd have to have a season where both your starting RB's played every game (and your RB3 would need to be sufficient to cover the BYE Weeks). I don't think my Team 1 is a contender for example, because behind Chubb/Mixon I'm counting on AJ Dillon. And I think it's only been once in the last 3 years that Chubb/Mixon played the majority of regular season games. That year I lost in the finals.

I'm not debating the price. Just discussing the roster makeup of a contender vs. a likely pretender.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:02 pm

Shoreline Steamers wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:20 am
Ice wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:03 am One reason the Ravens paid Edwards starter money this past June is from week 8 on he was solid. Teams don't shell out 9 million dollar RB contracts if you can't play. He just turned 26 and has low mileage. I suspect he will be solid for 2-3 years so he is an attractive asset.

Keep in mind, I'm absolutely on board with Gus as a productive starter and have been advocating for him in this thread. The point I agree with is if your RB depth is at the point where he's now your best option as a #2RB in a start 2 league, your depth probably isn't sufficient to think you're a serious contender.

It could happen, but you'd have to have a season where both your starting RB's played every game (and your RB3 would need to be sufficient to cover the BYE Weeks). I don't think my Team 1 is a contender for example, because behind Chubb/Mixon I'm counting on AJ Dillon. And I think it's only been once in the last 3 years that Chubb/Mixon played the majority of regular season games. That year I lost in the finals.

I'm not debating the price. Just discussing the roster makeup of a contender vs. a likely pretender.
I agree a team needs 3 legit RB's to better compete unless they are really lucky.

Dillon could be a beast if Jones went down and Gus has a chance to be a beast with Dobbins out.

If a team is gunning for a title a first is small price to pay for the upside of a Gus this season to give a team that 3rd start worthy RB that would be a weekly starter at least as a flex for the vast majority of teams given the situation.

On an unrelated side note; I think there is a good chance Edwards outscores Mixon :think:

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:30 pm

Ice wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:02 pm I agree a team needs 3 legit RB's to better compete unless they are really lucky.

Dillon could be a beast if Jones went down and Gus has a chance to be a beast with Dobbins out.

If a team is gunning for a title a first is small price to pay for the upside of a Gus this season to give a team that 3rd start worthy RB that would be a weekly starter at least as a flex for the vast majority of teams given the situation.

On an unrelated side note; I think there is a good chance Edwards outscores Mixon :think:
I mentioned it earlier. Had Gus on my Team 1, but ended up making a trade before our draft. Had I just stayed put, I think I'd have a pretty decent shot this year with him as my RB3. Hindsight and all that... :boohoo:

I expect him to have a very productive season, but I do selfishly hope Mixon outscores him!
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:47 am

Shoreline Steamers wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:30 pm
Ice wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:02 pm I agree a team needs 3 legit RB's to better compete unless they are really lucky.

I mentioned it earlier. Had Gus on my Team 1, but ended up making a trade before our draft. Had I just stayed put, I think I'd have a pretty decent shot this year with him as my RB3. Hindsight and all that... :boohoo:

I expect him to have a very productive season, but I do selfishly hope Mixon outscores him!
Good Luck this year!

Mixon should but that isn't a very good team and it just seems Mixon has never lived up to the hype for a variety of reasons.

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: Gus Edwards Discussion Thread

Postby Pullo Vision » Sun Oct 23, 2022 8:55 pm

Edwards' first game back from his ACL tear, he came out barnstorming for 16/66 rushing. He's being crowned as Baltimore's RB1 now, despite his 36% snap share and the heavy touch load to Drake/Hill.

Maybe Dobbins should've been more patient.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:05 am

The Gus Bus is picking up passengers! Who's getting on?
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, Levis
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JavonteWms, JFord, CEH
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, MWilliams, Q Johnston
TE: Goedert, Friermuth
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, AJD, Singletary, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:57 am

He looked good. Don't think he will ever be a fun player to start in fantasy, but he should be a consistent part of the offense moving forward. You're basically hoping for a TD if you start him

jomaed
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby jomaed » Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:07 am

What's Gus worth to a contender now?

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:08 am

jomaed wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:07 am What's Gus worth to a contender now?
A random 2nd. Backfield is a mess, Drake and Hill are still getting run. Lamar isn't going away. JK may come back this year.

If you're a contender, I'd expect you don't really need him.

dustyroads
Starter
Starter

Postby dustyroads » Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:18 am

Jigga94 wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:08 am
A random 2nd. Backfield is a mess, Drake and Hill are still getting run. Lamar isn't going away. JK may come back this year.

This. At best. There are other RBs priced similarly either in better situations, or in a similar situation who aren't already 27 years old and may actually be more than just a one year rental I'd target over Gus.

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:27 am

dustyroads wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:18 am

This. At best. There are other RBs priced similarly either in better situations, or in a similar situation who aren't already 27 years old and may actually be more than just a one year rental I'd target over Gus.
Examples? I'd been considering Mostert.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

dustyroads
Starter
Starter

Postby dustyroads » Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:37 pm

Pullo Vision wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:27 am
dustyroads wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:18 am

Examples? I'd been considering Mostert.
It's so league dependent with value, but I'd be inquiring on Foreman, Hubbard, Pollard, Hunt (how many owners really think they will ever get a 1st for him, so maybe a cup of coffee pick added to the 2nd rounder to get him)... I think they all either project the same as Edwards but with (albeit slim) chance to actually keep value after this season, or currently have higher upsides. And really, how many other guys could we add to the list if you added something else to the 2nd round pick to get them? Feels like why get the medium pizza for $15 when the large is only $18? (and math will show you how much bigger the large is than medium!!! what value!! hah)