Gus Edwards Discussion Thread

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Yarnith
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Contenders: What are we paying for Gus Edwards?

Postby Yarnith » Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:40 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:33 pm I'm not really pumping Edwards hard. It's just the reality that he's been productive in his opportunities with the team, and now he's going to get more opportunities. Pretty simple. You said you should not assume the next guy up can be a capable starter, and I pointed you to the fact he has shown he can be already, and if you don't think what he did during that time is "capable", I think you're being a bit disingenuous. Where are people saying a first plus?

I'm not showing faith in him beyond this season. I'm just saying, he's the best option they have now, and that likely won't change, so he's in for what should be a productive year, and it very well could be a one off year. He could see 250 plus carries this year, and never see that again. Most likely will be the case, assuming JK comes back healthy next year. JK is more talented.
Starting the back half of multiple seasons is not the same as starting a full year being schemed against as the primary ball carrier.

A large portion of this thread if you go back and read are late firsts, a first and a player or 2 2nds. That is what prompted me posting at all.
Cavaliers 12 team standard, 1QB, 1RB, 1WR, 2WR/TE, 1flex
QB: J. Allen, S. Howell, Z.Wilson
RB: A. Kamara, J. Taylor, CEH, K. Gainwell, P. Strong
WR: A.J. Brown, A. Cooper, J. Dotson, C. Ridley, E. Moore, W. Robinson, J. Meyers, T. Marshall,
TE: G. Kittle, J. Johnson, J. Woods, H. Henry
'23 1.10, 2.10, 3.10 '24 1, 2, 3
Recent Championships '19,'21,'22

Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends- 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex
QB: Mahomes, Purdy, Lance
RB: Pierce, Miller, K. Herbert, E. Hull
WR: Chase, Watson, Davis, JSN, Metchie, Pierce, V. Jefferson, Claypool, Thornton, Westbrook-Ikhine
TE: Pitts, Woods, Latu

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:49 pm

Yarnith wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:40 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:33 pm I'm not really pumping Edwards hard. It's just the reality that he's been productive in his opportunities with the team, and now he's going to get more opportunities. Pretty simple. You said you should not assume the next guy up can be a capable starter, and I pointed you to the fact he has shown he can be already, and if you don't think what he did during that time is "capable", I think you're being a bit disingenuous. Where are people saying a first plus?

I'm not showing faith in him beyond this season. I'm just saying, he's the best option they have now, and that likely won't change, so he's in for what should be a productive year, and it very well could be a one off year. He could see 250 plus carries this year, and never see that again. Most likely will be the case, assuming JK comes back healthy next year. JK is more talented.
Starting the back half of multiple seasons is not the same as starting a full year being schemed against as the primary ball carrier.

A large portion of this thread if you go back and read are late firsts, a first and a player or 2 2nds. That is what prompted me posting at all.
:thumbup:
Janiel Dones Truther

Foodie. Mild sauce goes in the trash. Well done steak goes with it.

Habaneros make the best hot sauce. Throwing a bunch of random stuff on top of fries doesn't mean you call it "poutine".

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:32 pm

Yarnith wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:31 pm You are pumping Edwards hard right now. People are advising he is worth a 1st+ to acquire. I am simply pumping the brakes on that noise. A 1st+ means he IS a star so if you don't think he is then he isn't worth that. I am not saying he wont have a solid year the context of the thread is what you pay for him. Everyone highlights the rosy stuff and feed each other into this frenzy of Edwards nirvana that is just wishful thinking. Until he shows some RB1 performance as the starter this year don't pay RB1 prices for him.
To be clear, I am not, and have not said he's worth a 1st or a 1st + to acquire. I have said that it's likely you won't be prying Gus from his current owner for merely a 2nd round pick. Maybe from someone in a rebuild? But even then I'd expect they'd want a 2nd, and some sort of developmental player to fill a need. Or, you end up making some sort of package deal that includes a 1st and other pieces to even things out on both sides in moving him.

The only reason I took exception with your example was the player used. Was Snell in the same boat as Gus when Conner went down? Yes he was. Has Snell shown anything comparable to what Gus has on the field? No, he hasn't. He's simply not as good a player.

Yes, there is hype for Gus right now as he's the next man up. This happens in fantasy all the time (and it did happen for Snell). I personally believe that the difference you'll see this year is that Gus is actually a talented RB in his own right, and Snell is JAG. Time will tell, and maybe I'll be proven wrong. And if so, I'll gladly own it.

FWIW, I had Gus on my roster and traded him and Russell Wilson for the 1.01 and took Chase. So I did have a share, but I'm out now. Still, I hope he has a great year in Baltimore.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

BradyT
Legend
Legend

Postby BradyT » Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:09 am

I sold him for a 1st in two Leagues
24 roster spots - 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,1Flex

QB: Herbert,Minshew
RB: Breece,Walker,Taylor,BRobinson,Allgeier,Spiller
WR:Jefferson,Lamb,DJMoore,QJohnston,Jameson,MMims, T.Marshall,Shakir,Gallup
TE: Andrews,Conklin
DST:DAL
2024 picks: 1.11, 2.10, 4.01, 4.05, 4.07, 4.11

qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
Captain
Captain

Postby qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj » Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:12 am

Unless you are exactly a solid rb2 away from assured league domination this year paying a 1st for what most seem to agree is a good one year rental seems ludicrous to me. And even then I wouldn't risk paying a first until a few weeks in to see how this new situation really pans out.

For what it's worth I just offered a rebuilder a 2nd + 3rd in my league. Don't think I'd be willing to up that offer much.

(And on a side note, if I really felt like paying a first I'd much rather spend it on Robinson than Gus, who is in a similar situation but has a much higher ceiling imo)

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:32 am

qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:12 am Unless you are exactly a solid rb2 away from assured league domination this year paying a 1st for what most seem to agree is a good one year rental seems ludicrous to me. And even then I wouldn't risk paying a first until a few weeks in to see how this new situation really pans out.

For what it's worth I just offered a rebuilder a 2nd + 3rd in my league. Don't think I'd be willing to up that offer much.
I think think that's about right.
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco Stidham
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, Connor, Benson
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Sutton, Downs, Mims, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Goedert, Woods

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:33 am

BradyT wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:09 am I sold him for a 1st in two Leagues
:dance: Well done
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco Stidham
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, Connor, Benson
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Sutton, Downs, Mims, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Goedert, Woods

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:33 am

A 2nd seems about right. If I'm contending hes a hold unless I got a 1st or equivalent, as I do expect him to put up high end RB2 numbers pretty easily.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:28 am

I'm kind of tired of all the "well they must hate player x, if they signed player y"

Teams NEED good depth.

Look at the reigning Champs. I guess they don't like Evans and Godwin if they signed AB. Or Brady because they drafted Trask...

The Ravens have had a good stable of RB as long as I can remember. I recently read an article about how they lost Jamal Lewis to injury the year after they won the SB and had no depth and it crushed the team. Then from there they've almost always had 2 capable backs. Forsett, McGahee, Anderson, etc. They've lost backs and plugged new ones in with good success. I think Gus will be more than capable, but he's nowhere near the athlete Dobbins is.

I've never been a huge believer in Gus or anything either, but he's going to get the touches and we've seen him perform.

I wouldn't blame anyone for not shelling out a 1st for him, but I think that's about what it will take unless you find him on a rebuilding squad

DinoDynasty
All Pro
All Pro

Postby DinoDynasty » Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:41 am

Anteaters wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:53 pm I think it's going to take a 1st. It might be possible to toss a 2nd and a couple of shiny baubles (Juju/Higgins/Shenault/etc) at the Gus owner to see if he bites. If I'm a true contender with Gus, I'm happy to give up a 1st. Even if I don't win the championship I should be good enough that the pick is 1.08-1.10. To me, that's a good price for a NFL starting RB that's projected to be RB13-20.

For instance, if with the Dobbins injury you're forced to start a RB2 like Lindsay or a Flex like McKissick, I think it's worth it to replace those guys with Gus.

A 1st should get it done. A 2nd+Juju is the beginning of a long (and likely fruitless) negotiation.
If your saying that Gus is worth more Higgins than I am going to try to sell my James Robinson for Tyreek.
2017 Champ, 2018 Runner-up, 2019 Champ, 2020 Champ, 2021 Runner-up
12 Team PPR
Stairway to Evans
QB: Hurts, Kirk, Bridgewater, Jimmy G
RB: CMC, Pollard, Foreman,
Sanders, Hill
WR: Kupp, Evans, Ridley, Dell, Josh Palmer, Hodgins, Osborn, Parker, MVS
TE: Kelce, Musgrave, Otton, Gray, Woods
DEF: Chicago Ravens
2024 2nd, 3rd, 4th

12 Team .5 PPR
Fields of Dreams
QB - Fields, Cousins, Wilson
RB - Taylor, Swift, Mixon, Pollard, Singelary, McLaughlin
WR - Olave, Tyreek, Tank Dell, Higgins, Gabriel Davis, E Moore, Mingo, Douglas
TE - Ferguson, Gray, Otton
DEF - 49ers, Pats
Picks 2024 2x1st, 3, 4

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:55 am

DinoDynasty wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:41 am
Anteaters wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:53 pm I think it's going to take a 1st. It might be possible to toss a 2nd and a couple of shiny baubles (Juju/Higgins/Shenault/etc) at the Gus owner to see if he bites. If I'm a true contender with Gus, I'm happy to give up a 1st. Even if I don't win the championship I should be good enough that the pick is 1.08-1.10. To me, that's a good price for a NFL starting RB that's projected to be RB13-20.

For instance, if with the Dobbins injury you're forced to start a RB2 like Lindsay or a Flex like McKissick, I think it's worth it to replace those guys with Gus.

A 1st should get it done. A 2nd+Juju is the beginning of a long (and likely fruitless) negotiation.
If your saying that Gus is worth more Higgins than I am going to try to sell my James Robinson for Tyreek.
I agree. I'm flipping my Edwards, Edmonds, Michels, etc all day long for quality WR (or 1sts) even if I have to add. Higgins, Shenault, Juju are all worth more than these one year types.

Sure I get holding if you are a dominant competitor making sure you have proper depth for a run...but outside that, does anyone really think Gus for one year is worth more than these WR listed above?

We do this every year. A guy takes over for an injured RB1 and suddenly people jump on ship thinking they inherit the starter's value. You are likely paying for one single year here, not a career asset.

Prison_Mike
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Prison_Mike » Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:00 am

Gus Edwards is on a rebuilding team in my Team 2 League (only real assets are Herbert, Gibson, and Gallup)

I offered Darnell Mooney straight up and was rejected without counter. I'd pay more, but probably not by much.

I think you also have to consider how often Edwards would start for your contending team if you're looking to buy. He would certainly start some bye weeks for my team and obviously depth is important. But he'd be battling for my RB3/RB4 spot and there are probably WRs I'd probably flex some weeks (AB, Boyd, MT if he ever comes back)
Team 1:
12-team | PPR | SuperFlex | 0.5-TEP
Start: 1QB/2RB/2WR/1TE/3FLX/1SF
QB: Herbert, Kyler, Baker, Jimmy G
RB: Taylor, Saquon, Javonte, Conner, Lloyd, R.Davis, Vidal, Tracy
WR: Chase, Aiyuk, Olave, Diggs, Diontae, Hollywood, MT, Shaheed
TE: Engram, Bowers, Woods

Team 2:
12-Team | PPR | SuperFlex | 0.5-TEP
Start: QB/2RB/2WR/1TE/3FLX/1SF
QB: Mahomes, Allen, Russ
RB: Breece, JT, Swift, Javonte, Mostert, Zamir, Irving
WR: Chase, Aiyuk, Nico, Kupp, Kirk, Hollywood, MT
TE: Pitts, Njoku, Woods

Team 3:
12-Team | PPR | SuperFlex | 0.5-TEP
Start: QB/2RB/2WR/1TE/3FLX/1SF
QB: Hurts, Dak, Stafford, Z.Wilson, DTR
RB: Saquon, Swift, Achane, Kamara, Ford
WR: Jefferson, AJB, ARSB, Nico, Diontae, OBJ
TE: Goedert, Njoku, Fant, Woods
'24 picks: 4.08, 4.12, 5.12

Yarnith
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Yarnith » Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:24 am

I find the 2nd and a depth player far more palatable a price for a player who on your contending team should be your 3rd RB/bi-week filler otherwise I think your team was not truly a contender to begin with.
Cavaliers 12 team standard, 1QB, 1RB, 1WR, 2WR/TE, 1flex
QB: J. Allen, S. Howell, Z.Wilson
RB: A. Kamara, J. Taylor, CEH, K. Gainwell, P. Strong
WR: A.J. Brown, A. Cooper, J. Dotson, C. Ridley, E. Moore, W. Robinson, J. Meyers, T. Marshall,
TE: G. Kittle, J. Johnson, J. Woods, H. Henry
'23 1.10, 2.10, 3.10 '24 1, 2, 3
Recent Championships '19,'21,'22

Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends- 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex
QB: Mahomes, Purdy, Lance
RB: Pierce, Miller, K. Herbert, E. Hull
WR: Chase, Watson, Davis, JSN, Metchie, Pierce, V. Jefferson, Claypool, Thornton, Westbrook-Ikhine
TE: Pitts, Woods, Latu

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:37 am

Yarnith wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:24 am I find the 2nd and a depth player far more palatable a price for a player who on your contending team should be your 3rd RB/bi-week filler otherwise I think your team was not truly a contender to begin with.
That makes perfect sense to me. Had I hung onto Gus, that's exactly where he would have slotted in for me behind Chubb/Mixon. I probably would have used him as a flex some too, since we're non-ppr. But yes, if you're adding him with the idea that he's now your RB2 and it's off to the playoffs, you're likely a bit too optimistic on your team's chances.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:38 am

DinoDynasty wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:41 am

I'm not saying he's worth more than Higgins over the next decade. I'm saying that for a 2021 contender or a pretender who wants to dream (if neither has a deep RB field), Gus is going to be much more helpful toward a successful 2021 season than Higgins.

To phrase another way: A lot of teams might have 4WRs with 2021 projections similar to Higgins - WRs who might end up midWR2-to-midWR3. He's a 2021 asset that can be replaced fairly easily. What makes him valuable to some owners is not that anyone predicts Higgins will be a T20WR in 2021 - it's that they predict he'll be a WR2 for the many of the next 8 seasons. It's a lot harder to find a RB12-19. In that range, we're talking 2021 ranked RBs like JRob, Monty, Carson, CEH. Again, I'm not saying Gus has as much dynastic lasting value as Higgins or CEH. I'm saying that if a team wants to take a chance at winning a title (or making a deep playoff push) in 2021, Gus is definitely more valuable than Higgins, and is arguably more valuable than 3 of those RB.

The name of the fantasy football game for me is Championships. If I need a RB, I'll gladly trade a guy I think is a career-long WR22-36 to get a one-year push with a hard to acquire RB14. When guys like Gallup and MJJr are in the 40s, and Myers and Reagor are in the 50s I'm not sweating about finding another WR3 to add to my team.

For 2021, I would not be surprised at all to see Gus reach 1200totalyds/12TDs. If I'm contending or even pretending, I want that boost. I'll find a way to fill that random WR2/3 spot in 2023. Sometimes it's almost impossible to fill that RB2 spot on the waiver wire or via trade.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, Levis
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JavonteWms, JFord, CEH
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, MWilliams, Q Johnston
TE: Goedert, Friermuth
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, AJD, Singletary, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser