Training camp/ Preseason HYYYPPPEEEE!! (worries too)

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Patsfan86
All Pro
All Pro

Training camp/ Preseason HYYYPPPEEEE!! (worries too)

Postby Patsfan86 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:34 am

Very surprised i wasnt able to find a thread specifically devoted to this. Probably because these boards know training camp is fun but really doesnt mean much. Anyway lets talk about the hype for some players and the worries on some others

HYYYPPPEEEEE

Elijah Moore has to be the most hyped rookie this offseason. I see other training camp hype but no one matches this guy. Do we believe it? I personally think the odds of a fantasy relevant rookie WR with a rookie QB throwing to him are low but i def like his future. Id also take what guys like AJB have said about him with a grain of salt, teammates are usually going to compliment each other. I do like his future tho.

Rashod Bateman, the hype is pretty strong here too. Will it actually translate to game day? I think all of us are unsure.

Terrace Marshall Jr the hype here has been steadily building from week to week. Yesterday Rhule said they are going to "force feed" him. I try not to listen to coach speak but i loved Marshalls profile and everything, i also have him so im hoping this isnt just training camp hype and is the real deal. Him being truly fantasy relevant year 1 will be tough with DJ Moore and Robby Anderson but its a possibility

Josh Palmer and Nkeal Harry, i do not believe one second of this hype, not any of it, please tell me if im wrong

Worries

Joe Burrow, training camp reports seem to indicate he is still dealing with injury, kind of expected but still not great to hear

Any other worries or hype i missed?

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Training camp/ Preseason HYYYPPPEEEE!! (worries too)

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:02 am

I tend not to put much stock in the positive hype, only the negative. Seems to be more legit from my experience. Everything is usually overly positive, so if somebody is struggling, it sticks out. I don't listen to coaches much. "Force feeding" etc. Just like the "we're going to run CJ Spiller until he pukes". It's 95 percent BS. Burrow I expected to struggle, I am surprised he started camp active, and not on the PUP. Heard Burrow had a good day the other day, was 9-11 or something in 11-11's, which is at least a tangible positive note.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Dynos
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Dynos » Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:06 am

Josh Palmer hype could be very true. when you watch his film, he crushed many top corner prospect in this year draft.

In all my league i took him, i think he's a nice stash with justin herbert throwing him.

https://steelersdepot.com/2021/04/2021- ... sh-palmer/
2019 Champion! 2022 Champion!

Team 1: Superflex, Start 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 flex WR/TE,1 Sflex

QB:P. Mahomes, R.Tannehill, J.Hurts
RB: E.Elliott,James Robinson, Chris Carson, L.Fournette, T.Etienne , Tony Pollard,hassan haskins,donta foreman, jaylen warren
WR: Justin Jefferson A.J Brown, M.Thomas, Marquise Brown, T.Lockett, skyy moore, romeo doubs, alec pierce Donovan Peoples-Jones, J.Palmer
TE: kyle pitts, juwan johnson,mckitty

2021 Champion!
Team 2: Superflex, Start 1Qb, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex Wr/TE. 1 SFlex, 1 Flex RB/WR/TE
QB: J.Herbert, Z.Wilson, K.Cousins, K.Pickett,K.Mond
RB: J.Taylor, JK Dobbins, N.Harris, N.Hines, G.Edwards, James Cook, J.Ford, Dameon Pierce, P.Strong, D.Foreman (Jermaine Burton Devy)
WR: J.Chase,Garett Wilson , B.Aiyuk, C.Sutton, R.Bateman, G.Davis, M.Hardman,J.Palmer,
TE: D.Waller R.Tonyan, B.Jordan, Cameron Brate, Cade Otton, G.Everett

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:16 am

I don't care too much about coach speak and reports and such.

Watch the preseason week 1 and pay attention to the starters and backups. Then in week 2, see who moved up or down with the first, second, and third units. That's a good way to buy low on specific player and give up or sell the ones who fall out of favor with the coaching staff.

It's pretty much the only thing I pay attention to during the preseason. All else has burned me.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

Patsfan86
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Patsfan86 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:24 am

dlf_mikeh wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:16 am I don't care too much about coach speak and reports and such.

Watch the preseason week 1 and pay attention to the starters and backups. Then in week 2, see who moved up or down with the first, second, and third units. That's a good way to buy low on specific player and give up or sell the ones who fall out of favor with the coaching staff.

It's pretty much the only thing I pay attention to during the preseason. All else has burned me.
Ya i was actually a bit concerned to see Gallup starting in the HOF game. Maybe they just wanted to play him? But why is your starting WR playing in that meaningless game? And oooopphhh dont remind me of Preseason overreaction. In my early years of dynasty i sold Tyreek Hill after a bad preseason game after i had picked him up for free of waivers the year before. One of the worst moves of my life, learned a huge lesson there.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:25 am

Dynos wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:06 am Josh Palmer hype could be very true. when you watch his film, he crushed many top corner prospect in this year draft.

In all my league i took him, i think he's a nice stash with justin herbert throwing him.

https://steelersdepot.com/2021/04/2021- ... sh-palmer/
Agree on Palmer 100%

I actually had a high 2nd round grade on him and was thrilled to get him at 3.1 in one of my leagues. He had terrible QB play in college. I did hype him around here in some thread a while back. Not surprised he is getting hyped now that he has a solid QB throwing the ball.

I see legit WR1 upside if he develops.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

NWABCS
Captain
Captain

Postby NWABCS » Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:45 am

I pay attention to NFL beat writers. Not so much to coach speak and hype at this point.

In 2019 the DJ Chark hype from Jags beat writers was insane. He put up 1000 yards and 8 TDs. So sometimes they put out a lot of smoke with the fire. Other times, it's junk.

I'm still angry about the 2009 hype I read on Lee Evans. "He'll have his best year this year"
Spoiler: he did not
12 team
1/2 PPR
Start: 1QB, 2RB, 1 R/W/T, 3W/T, 1SF, 1K, 1 DEF

QB: Mahomes, Burrow, Lawrence
RB: Bijan Robinson, J. Taylor, Etienne, B. Hall, Roschon Johnson, Najee
WR/TE: J. Jefferson, D. Samuel, AJ Brown, DJ Moore, J. Chase, Waddle, Nico Collins, Rashee Rice
K: Butker
DEF: Bills
2024 picks: 1.11, 3.04
2025 picks: 1st, two 2nds

12 team
1/2 ppr
Start: 1QB, 2RB, 1R/W/T, 3 W/T, 1SF

QB: Mahomes, Josh Allen, Aidan O'Connell, Mason Rudolph
RB: Javonte Williams, Barkley, Etienne, D. Foreman, K. Herbert, N. Harris, Chris Rodriguez
WR/TE: D. Adams, DJ Moore, Puca Nacua, DK Metcalf, Waddle, Pittman, Drake London, ARSB
2024 picks: 1.10, 2.01, 2.12, 3.05, 3.11, 4.02, 4.04, 4.09, 4.10, 4.11, 5.01 5.05
2025 picks: three 2nds

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:53 am

I ignore all team/coach speak in the offseason.

I do follow beat writers to get late offseason risers. Chark, Slayton, Diontae were all guys I was able to get in on early due to beat writers constantly praising them. Obviously there's a ton of misses as well.

32beatwriters on twitter is a nice follow.

Nanananananana
Starter
Starter

Postby Nanananananana » Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:10 am

Mims is running with the 2nd/3rd team with the Jets.

Patsfan86
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Patsfan86 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:41 am

Nanananananana wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:10 am Mims is running with the 2nd/3rd team with the Jets.
Ya i got out on him a month or so ago. I definetly put a lot of stock into negative camp news. As soon as some of the bad news started coming out about him i was done

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:10 pm

Chase has been struggling, supposedly.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:30 pm

Patsfan86 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:24 am
dlf_mikeh wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:16 am I don't care too much about coach speak and reports and such.

Ya i was actually a bit concerned to see Gallup starting in the HOF game. Maybe they just wanted to play him? But why is your starting WR playing in that meaningless game? And oooopphhh dont remind me of Preseason overreaction. In my early years of dynasty i sold Tyreek Hill after a bad preseason game after i had picked him up for free of waivers the year before. One of the worst moves of my life, learned a huge lesson there.
Gallup; Sounds like he is basically playing all 3 WR's in camp. Lamb should be playing outside quite a bit more this season. I expect Gallup to have a solid year making Dallas have to think a bit on what they will do next year.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

honcho55
All Pro
All Pro

Postby honcho55 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:00 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:10 pm Chase has been struggling, supposedly.
Saw a report of struggle, but also saw a report of him putting in extra work after practices. At this point I’d credit his issues with not playing football for 19 months more than anything.
main league, half PPR, all TDs 6, -3 for INT
12 team. 2019 champ, 2020 runner up, ‘21 3rd
start 2SF, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2WRT

QB: T Lawrence, K Cousins, R Wilson, Z Wilson
RB: K Walker, T Ettiene, JK Dobbins, D Gore, J Hasty, D Johnson, L Rountree
WR: JJ, AJB, A Cooper, Juju, C Kirk, J Dotson, N Westbrook-Ikhine, I McKenzie
TE. T Kelce, Pitts, Albert O, D Parham, J O’Shaunessy

1.03, 1.11, 2.02, 2.09
Extra 24 1st

Pet_Smith
Starter
Starter

Postby Pet_Smith » Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:19 am

Swift not 100% healthy and Williams getting a lot of hype...
Dynasty - 9th year, 12-team, Standard scoring, 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2FLEX, 1K, 1DE/DT, 1LB, 1CB/S - 25man roster / 6 Taxi Squad
'17 Champ, '18 Runner Up, '23 rebuild

QB Watson, A Richardson, O' Connel (TS)
RB Gibbs, Akers, Dillon Carter, Bigsby, Chase Brown, Mcintosh, Tucker, Hull (TS)
WR Metcalf, DJ Moore, Addison, Meyers, Van Jefferson, Collins, Claypool, Mingo (TS), Hyatt (TS), Wilson (TS)
TE Higbee, Freirmuth, Otton (TS)
K Joseph
DE/DT Hunter
LB Franklin Simmons
C/S James

1.01, 1.04

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:26 am

Pet_Smith wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:19 am Swift not 100% healthy and Williams getting a lot of hype...
Williams is serviceable. Confused as to why people suddenly think he's anything more.