Xavier Jones is this years James Robinson

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
sugbear65
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Xavier Jones is this years James Robinson

Postby sugbear65 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:45 am

Every year we have a RB that rises from the back of the depth chart to become a solid fantasy starter. I position that this year that player is X. Jones. After the unfortunate Akers injury, there is going to be a lot of snaps opened up. I know Henderson will be the popular pivot, as well as whatever FA the Rams bring in. But I would suggest making Jones a speculative add instead. He’s the best buried RB nobody cares about.
The Rams know it. There’s a reason they never sent him down to the practice squad. They knew he would get poached if they did.
A. Darnold knows it-
“I asked Rams DT Aaron Donald which players have stood out to him as far as making plays during the two scrimmages, and he said ILB Micah Kiser and RB Xavier Jones.”
— Stu Jackson (@StuJRams) August 29, 2020
This beat writer knows it-
https://www.google.com/amp/s/ramblinfan ... -2021/amp/
https://www.google.com/amp/s/ramblinfan ... jones/amp/
Hopefully you know it too. If you have room and he’s available, there are much worse stashes.

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Re: Xavier Jones is this years James Robinson

Postby MEuRaH » Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:45 am

This is funny. I just wrote a DLF article about the Cam Akers injury and came here to start this very thread.

I wasn't going to call him James Robinson or anything, but he is indeed an undrafted free agent that I very much liked last year. I've talked about him on numerous occasions. I still think the Rams sign a veteran, and I think Henderson gets more of an opportunity early in training camp and pre-season, but I would not at all be shocked to see Jones be the starter at some point this season.

My intrigue about him last year: viewtopic.php?p=1836529#p1836529
My post about Aaron Donald liking him: viewtopic.php?p=1987249#p1987249
Other: viewtopic.php?p=2000357#p2000357

Thanks for making this thread sugbear65. Beat me to it. :)
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

Never Veto1
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Never Veto1 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:42 am

So I was on here yesterday looking through some threads looking for deep sleepers for my 20 team league cause we have our rookie/FA draft going on. Mike I came across your words about Jones, and went to all my leagues to add him to my watch list, so that I could add him when FA opens up. This might put a little bit of stress on that situation.
12 Team 1QB PPR
8 Starters - QB 1, RB 2(4), WR 3(5), TE 1(3)

QB - Kyler Murray, Derek Carr, Kenny Pickett
RB - Christian McCaffrey, Bijan Robinson, Kyren Williams, Travis Etienne, James Conner, Antonio Gibson, Chris Rodriguez
WR - Tee Higgins, Jordan Addison, Michael Pittman, Nico Collins, Rashee Rice, Christian Watson, Jerry Jeudy, Rashod Bateman
TE - Sam Laporta, Kyle Pitts, Darren Waller, Isaiah Likely
Picks - 2.10, 3.10, 4.10, 5.10

dustyroads
Starter
Starter

Postby dustyroads » Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:24 am

Never Veto wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:42 am So I was on here yesterday looking through some threads looking for deep sleepers for my 20 team league cause we have our rookie/FA draft going on. Mike I came across your words about Jones, and went to all my leagues to add him to my watch list, so that I could add him when FA opens up. This might put a little bit of stress on that situation.
Yeah, just a little bit.... lol
xjones.JPG
xjones.JPG (25.38 KiB) Viewed 1752 times

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:42 pm

I'll throw out Devonta Freeman as a free agent target for the Rams. Extensive experience in Shanahan offense, McVay a Shanahan disciple.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:34 pm

dustyroads wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:24 am
Never Veto wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:42 am So I was on here yesterday looking through some threads looking for deep sleepers for my 20 team league cause we have our rookie/FA draft going on. Mike I came across your words about Jones, and went to all my leagues to add him to my watch list, so that I could add him when FA opens up. This might put a little bit of stress on that situation.
Yeah, just a little bit.... lolxjones.JPG
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:34 pm

Curious, Mike or anyone else who is plugged in here - do we have any idea why he went Undrafted?

He was pretty productive in College for SMU... And yet he didn't even get a combine invite... usually that means character stuff, or that the NFL doesn't like you for some reason (Tyler Johnson comes to mind)

remedy29
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby remedy29 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:58 pm

I did the exact same thing. Now I'm wondering how much bid points should I put on him tomorrow?

remedy29
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby remedy29 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:08 pm

Perhaps Xavier Jones is the next Ryquell Armstead. In which case, who on the Rams is the fantasy community sleeping on?

Robinson and Jones are not really comparable. The Jags got rid of Fournette because they knew exactly what they had in James Robinson, even though the fantasy community was too slow to realize it.
The Rams are forced into this situation with all of training camp ahead of them. The best young unproven RB has the chance to step into a sizeable role.
The Rams do like Xavier Jones since they kept him last year, but he hasn't earned the spot yet.

And I do think Henderson is the best back to own here, so we are talking about the short end of a RBBC backfield.

Kurt G.O.A.T.
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Kurt G.O.A.T. » Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:45 pm

henderson can't carry the load. he is much better playing the change of pace back. i think the rams want him healthy the whole season and effective with his touches so i don't see him carrying the load.

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:18 am

mild wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:34 pm Curious, Mike or anyone else who is plugged in here - do we have any idea why he went Undrafted?
I've looked everywhere for this info, found nothing. At the time he wasn't projected to be drafted so I assume that is the reason, but that's the best I can guess.

And for the record, I'm not saying to grab Jones because he's going to be a superstar and all that. I think he's the cheapest amongst the available RBs behind Akers, has the best chance to make a splash this season, and you can flip him for a profit later. He's not a guy I want to keep forever.

Less of a James Robinson for me, and more of a Myles Gaskin. :)
ULTIMATE RB GURUs

REAL RB GURUs:

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:32 am

dlf_mikeh wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:18 am
mild wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:34 pm Curious, Mike or anyone else who is plugged in here - do we have any idea why he went Undrafted?
I've looked everywhere for this info, found nothing. At the time he wasn't projected to be drafted so I assume that is the reason, but that's the best I can guess.

And for the record, I'm not saying to grab Jones because he's going to be a superstar and all that. I think he's the cheapest amongst the available RBs behind Akers, has the best chance to make a splash this season, and you can flip him for a profit later. He's not a guy I want to keep forever.

Less of a James Robinson for me, and more of a Myles Gaskin. :)
Jones had a good freshman year, tore his ACL his sophomore season, came back and had a good year his red shirt sophomore season, then somehow got lost in the weeds by the coaches his junior season before he had his superb senior season.

He had good years throughout his career that lead up to his awesome senior year with the exception of that odd junior year. Not sure what happened there, but it was anomalous.

As for being undrafted - who knows with non-Power 5 RBs and how teams are setting their draft mentality. There seem to be a few of those guys undrafted every year who look to have better skill sets than the guys currently sitting on the ends of NFL rosters right now. I’ve got a couple from this year alone rostered.

stats here: https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/pl ... nes-2.html

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:49 am

Might be more technical than intended, but don't agree Jones is "cheapest". Jake Funk and Raymond Calais are getting picked up in FCFS leagues, nevermind adds blocked for weekly waivers.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:17 am

Pullo Vision wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:49 am Might be more technical than intended, but don't agree Jones is "cheapest". Jake Funk and Raymond Calais are getting picked up in FCFS leagues, nevermind adds blocked for weekly waivers.
There are all sorts of guys who have lower ADPs than guys above them on the depth chart. How many of those guys do you roster? It’s a matter of trying to determine who actually could put up FF pts that you can use. I don’t see how either of the guys you mention gets on the field ahead of Jones, much less Henderson. And if a FA is added, you’re pretty much rostering the 4th RB on the team and hoping for what - 2 more injuries and no other FA adds by the Rams if they do happen?

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:34 pm

Pullo Vision wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:49 am Might be more technical than intended, but don't agree Jones is "cheapest". Jake Funk and Raymond Calais are getting picked up in FCFS leagues, nevermind adds blocked for weekly waivers.
In my leagues, Calais was already rostered, and Funk was drafted. Jones was a free agent pickup.

I suppose I shouldn't have generalized though, since "cheapest" can differ from league to league.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs

REAL RB GURUs: