Jonnu vs HH

This is the spot for player-to-player comparisons.
Kkiddynamite
Captain
Captain

Jonnu vs HH

Postby Kkiddynamite » Fri May 28, 2021 11:43 am

Im sure it has been widely discussed but how are we prioritizing these guys? Jonnu I believe got the bigger contract with more guaranteed money, but HH has been productive when on the field. Will they both have relevance or will they limit each other and be better in RL than in fantasy? Prefer one of these guys or wait and grab guys like Everett/Kmet/Trautman/Patt F/Jarwin in a startup as a TE2 behind Hock?

Gator Sens
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Jonnu vs HH

Postby Gator Sens » Fri May 28, 2021 11:52 am

I'm interested to see how Smith can do with potentially more targets based on his skill set. I think he will be the TE1 on the team, but may be capped by Newton also. I think he makes for a nice 2nd TE on a roster and has solid upside. Perhaps with Newton not throwing downfield much, this could help Smith?

ThunderTung
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ThunderTung » Fri May 28, 2021 10:52 pm

Gator Sens wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 11:52 am I'm interested to see how Smith can do with potentially more targets based on his skill set. I think he will be the TE1 on the team, but may be capped by Newton also. I think he makes for a nice 2nd TE on a roster and has solid upside. Perhaps with Newton not throwing downfield much, this could help Smith?
for these guys I think its important to think beyond '21. Jones will be breathing down Cams neck all season. I wouldn't knock the weapons in NE just because of Newton
12 man IDP 0.5 ppr

QB(1): Geno Smith
RB(2): ETN/Walker III
WR(2): Chase/Lamb
TE(1): Goedert
FLEX(2): Stevenson/Garrett Wilson
K: Mcpherson
DL(2): T. Walker/Vea
LB(2): D. Long/TJ Edwards
DB(2) Dugger/Moehrig
FLEX: Kenneth Murray
IR: J. Hicks/Milano/Marcus Jones
Bench:
QB: Mac Jones/Bryce Young
RB: Zeke/D. Harris
WR: N. Brown/Demario Douglas/Bobby Trees/Parker/Tyler Scott
TE: Bellinger/Schultz
DL: Barrett/J. Davis/Yannick/
LB: Milano/Edwards/K. Murray/J. Smith
DB: Mathieu/Jonothan Owens

BabyChark23
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby BabyChark23 » Sat May 29, 2021 5:53 pm

I like Smith over Henry, but I’m not in any hurry to grab either of them. From the others you listed, I’d rather have Kmet than roll the dice on who is going to be the guy in NE.

ThunderTung
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ThunderTung » Sat May 29, 2021 8:54 pm

BabyChark23 wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 5:53 pm I like Smith over Henry, but I’m not in any hurry to grab either of them. From the others you listed, I’d rather have Kmet than roll the dice on who is going to be the guy in NE.
wait actually? I mean don't get me wrong, I like Kmet too. But Smith and Henry have proven they can play, and now they're in a system that utilizes the TE position heavily. Why would you choose Kmet over 2 guys that you know can play?
12 man IDP 0.5 ppr

DB(2) Dugger/Moehrig
Bench:

BabyChark23
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby BabyChark23 » Sun May 30, 2021 4:45 am

wait actually? I mean don't get me wrong, I like Kmet too. But Smith and Henry have proven they can play, and now they're in a system that utilizes the TE position heavily. Why would you choose Kmet over 2 guys that you know can play?
[/quote]

I agree that both can play well, but I don’t think they can both be fantasy relevant together. I think that either one emerges as “the guy” or else (more likely) that we end up with a carousel where one goes off each week while the other is a dud. I’d rather not have the frustration of trying to guess who that is going to be each week. I have yet to see a team support two tight ends that are both fantasy relevant on a weekly basis.

ThunderTung
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ThunderTung » Sun May 30, 2021 12:16 pm

BabyChark23 wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 4:45 am wait actually? I mean don't get me wrong, I like Kmet too. But Smith and Henry have proven they can play, and now they're in a system that utilizes the TE position heavily. Why would you choose Kmet over 2 guys that you know can play?
I agree that both can play well, but I don’t think they can both be fantasy relevant together. I think that either one emerges as “the guy” or else (more likely) that we end up with a carousel where one goes off each week while the other is a dud. I’d rather not have the frustration of trying to guess who that is going to be each week. I have yet to see a team support two tight ends that are both fantasy relevant on a weekly basis.
[/quote]

While I don't think this comparison is fair, its also right in our face. Gronk and Hernandez did that. I think my larger point is that I get the hesitation with Jonnu and Henry, I just don't really get taking Kmet over them straight up. At least you know both Henry and Jonnu will have their games. Kmet might just become part of the long list of TE's that never amount to anything
12 man IDP 0.5 ppr

DB(2) Dugger/Moehrig
Bench:

BabyChark23
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby BabyChark23 » Sun May 30, 2021 12:40 pm

ThunderTung wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 12:16 pm
BabyChark23 wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 4:45 am wait actually? I mean don't get me wrong, I like Kmet too. But Smith and Henry have proven they can play, and now they're in a system that utilizes the TE position heavily. Why would you choose Kmet over 2 guys that you know can play?
While I don't think this comparison is fair, its also right in our face. Gronk and Hernandez did that. I think my larger point is that I get the hesitation with Jonnu and Henry, I just don't really get taking Kmet over them straight up. At least you know both Henry and Jonnu will have their games. Kmet might just become part of the long list of TE's that never amount to anything
[/quote]

Fair point. I guess I’m just optimistic about Kmet’s chances.

atlmoneyman
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby atlmoneyman » Sun May 30, 2021 2:07 pm

I don’t like either of them as a TE1

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:31 am

Hunter Henry for me. Prior to injuries, he was being discussed in the tier below Kelce/Gronk. Smith is a better athlete, but not sure he's a better TE.
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco Stidham
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Sutton, Downs, Mims, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Goedert, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.06

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:41 am

Orenthal Shames wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:31 am Hunter Henry for me. Prior to injuries, he was being discussed in the tier below Kelce/Gronk. Smith is a better athlete, but not sure he's a better TE.
prior to injuries OBJ was considered the dynasty WR1. I have seen enough of both TE's that I feel Smith is a better fantasy bet. Either way, I don't want either as a TE1
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:45 pm

murphysxm wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:41 am
Orenthal Shames wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:31 am Hunter Henry for me. Prior to injuries, he was being discussed in the tier below Kelce/Gronk. Smith is a better athlete, but not sure he's a better TE.
prior to injuries OBJ was considered the dynasty WR1. I have seen enough of both TE's that I feel Smith is a better fantasy bet. Either way, I don't want either as a TE1
Agree completely
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco Stidham
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Sutton, Downs, Mims, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Goedert, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.06

atlmoneyman
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby atlmoneyman » Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:06 pm

I could see being excited about having the duo in a best ball league but outside of that I won't roster either of them. Someone with more upside will be available around the same pick.

mouthfullofgold
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby mouthfullofgold » Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:45 am

I personally went with Jonnu as my TE1 in a recent startup draft, but agree with the sentiment that there is a lot of other players available. This is a SF TE Premium PPR league. I snagged him at the start of the second run on TEs at TE12 overall.

119 Gesicki
120 Logan Thomas
123 Jonnu
125 Kmet
126 Higbee
127 Tonyan
132 Engram
133 Irv Smith
134 HH